Dream Journal

Write creatively!
Smyg
GETTIN' REAL TIRED OF YOUR MACHIAVELLIAN BULLSHIT, GESAR

Dream Journal

Post by Smyg » 18:59:35 Wednesday, 09 April, 2014

I thought I'd every now and then post translated excerpts from the on-off dream journal I keep.

Be prepared for a lot of it being pretty weird.
Comrade Astrojildo Pereira Duarte Silva
Secretary-General of the Partido Comunista do Brasil
(PCB)

Smyg

Re: Dream Journal

Post by Smyg » 19:21:14 Wednesday, 09 April, 2014

April 6th 2014 - 05:00

Am on the alternative Mollön [Note: Mollön is a small peninsula, a former island, just south-west of my family home. I spent a lot of my childhood there, and it has a strange habit of being the constant backdrop of many of my dreams. I always recognize it as Mollön, but it's always completely different from the real thing.] with my family. It is early in the morning, and warm. Rising sun. Have been out there throughout the night. A sense of discomfort.

Have somewhere to be on time. School? Am wearing Summer clothing, despite this. A quarter to something. We are on the far side of Mollön, a lot of tourists and Summer holidayers. I feel surrendered, and don't think I'll be able to make it on time. Dad, who somehow seems sinister, doesn't agree - or doesn't care. He and mom are arguing. They want to go to different areas of the cliffs. The tall and steep cliffs. I don't want to, I fear the height.

The light beige-grey cliffs, high above a beach line that mostly consist of stone boulders and protruding rocks, are treacherous. We try to climb out on a low level, just above the sea, but I whine like a small child that I don't dare to. Doesn't look like I can get a foothold. Mom says, conciliatory, that there seems to be an accessible path higher up, on the same horizontal parallel.

When we have climbed back and up a little I find that the "path" is at least just as narrow and steep as before. I am scared, very scared. I am panicking, almost start crying. To use the small cavities and edges in the ancient bedrock to climb sideways is like walking on a tightrope, except half-sitting. I whine again, dad is cross at me for it. He considers me non-masculine. He says that the real "path" is higher up again. We head back, and continue - completely irrationally - find the right spot for an early morning sunbath.

Are now higher up than ever before. The cliffs are almost vertical. Below us you can see dozens of Summer guests lap sun, and a glittery, terrifying sea shining at us. I climb last, cold sweating. I am just about to turn back, against the family's orders. Then it happens. A scream, a scream of true death anxiety, is heard.

I look down, and almost lose my footing. I see one of the Summer guests falling, far down there. He falls in silence, and bounces with an audible crunch against one of the protruding cliffs, and further down into a crevice, unseen. Left on the rock wall is a big, wet stain. It has the colour of the strangely named "skin-coloured" crayons I used in pre-school.

A silence spreads in the cove. We all know he's dead, and that he died disgustingly. Crushed by fall, like an overly ripe fruit. I try to cling on to the cliff, so very heard. The silence is broken when mom breaks out in a similar scream of panic. I look to my side, and see that she is barely holding on.

I wake up.
(PCB)

Serenissima
England Expects Every Man Will Do His Duty

Post by Serenissima » 15:20:34 Thursday, 10 April, 2014

I never manage to remember this amount of detail. However, I can tell you that last night I dreamt of being in a Panama-esque area in the 1920s/1930s, which was the focus of a political and diplomatic dispute for ownership between the British Empire and the United States.
"Imagine lies, and then write them down in order. That is literally all authors do!"

Serenissima's WW2 BoP: The GM (obviously)
Metal Gear BoP: Japan
Brazil: Luís Carlos Prestes, the Knight of Hope

Smyg

Post by Smyg » 21:29:55 Sunday, 13 April, 2014

This is an old one, freshly translated. Exact times for writing unknown.
January 30th 2014 - Early during the night

I am travelling in North Korea again, with SB. I remember that it is my third trip - I have already been here a second time, with JS. We are newly arrived - everything feels just as bizarrely glamorous as it did in real life at arrival in Pyongyang. It is Winter, and very dark outside. We get cocktails at the hotel.

SB and I talk about safety. She has heard that the elevators in North Korea are poorly made and unstable, and therefore she wants to use the stairs up to our rooms. I say that we can't take the stairs, since they are restricted for tourists, and that the elevators are actually safe, even if they are a bit freaky to use with large glass walls staring out into the night. We talk to a North Korean guide, hearing some propaganda about the country.

I am home, in Herrestad. I'm arguing with people, acting annoyingly and bothersome towards friends, family and teachers. It's ninth grade again? Or at least people from it. Behave badly towards MT, my math and science teacher. Am in a large grocery store, maybe Överskottsbolaget next to school. Have made people there sour at me through my behaviour, try to avoid them (guards?) in the entrance by sneaking out the back.

Am now in a row house area in Herrestad, not far from the store and my old school. It is night, and dark. AJ is with me. Groups of toddlers gather on the streets, one by one crowding around us. A child, about age eight, tries to attack me. I hit back, in self-defence. Punch him to the ground. We hurriedly leave the area, to escape possible parental retribution.

She and I are now naked. Non-erotically. Wander through the forest beyond Herrestad. We pass a dark, frightening house. We finally reach a height, and turn out to have found ourselves just north of Mollön, overlooking the peninsula from a ridge. With that, dawn comes, calm and beautiful. Mollön is the same Mollön as usual, yet as always has a very different appearance. Rugged, bare and light-toned cliffs, with very few buildings. I suddenly realize everything is mirrored. I think about it, and realize that this prior deduction is actually incorrect - the world is not mirrored. What was I thinking?

We reach the boat shack belonging to my family, which here is an individual building rather than a lean-to-esque attatchment. We find clothes. I put on jeans and a dark red shirt, and then walk the quiet shoreline road up to the family farm.

Am now on IRC. Talking to #Molotov about what a lousy person I've been to people lately. Gesar has a very strange name, I don't recognize him at first. Get the impression that he's one of the people I've insulted, but realize it is him. He is writing entirely in symbols, and mentions (what?) something about personal experience with arranged marriages. The words "ID-a" and "kärlek". [Note: "To identify", "love"] BgKnight logs in. His nickname is strange. Something along the lines of "BgKnight|BritishFascistBrazil", or similar.

Am back in North Korea again. I see everything as if it is a poorly filmed documentary, flashing by. Am on a moving train. I am instructed, documentary-style, about how to bribe officials, officers, etc. with alcohol. An officer in green uniform and red medals is initially suspicious towards my offering of whisky in a square-shaped plastic bottle. He accepts it in the end. A bottle of cheap vodka is standing on the table in the restaurant wagon. Am now suddenly definitely in a documentary. I see a feature about how North Korea has a system with titles, whatever that means, and about how a system of credits no longer is working (BoP?). I see a montage about the country's economic issues, and wake up out of boredom.
(PCB)

Smyg

Post by Smyg » 21:31:10 Sunday, 13 April, 2014

Serenissima wrote:I never manage to remember this amount of detail. However, I can tell you that last night I dreamt of being in a Panama-esque area in the 1920s/1930s, which was the focus of a political and diplomatic dispute for ownership between the British Empire and the United States.
Sounds fascinating, haha!

I've been working on improving my dream recall. Usually I don't write down my dreams in the morning, because they simply are too long and chaotic to record.
(PCB)

Gesar
Social Justice Stasi
Social Justice Stasi

Post by Gesar » 03:45:49 Monday, 14 April, 2014

Am now on IRC. Talking to #Molotov about what a lousy person I've been to people lately. Gesar has a very strange name, I don't recognize him at first. Get the impression that he's one of the people I've insulted, but realize it is him. He is writing entirely in symbols, and mentions (what?) something about personal experience with arranged marriages. The words "ID-a" and "kärlek". [Note: "To identify", "love"]
Fact: This is how I always talk to you.

Rising Phoenix
Haegemony supporter. Ludd hater

Post by Rising Phoenix » 09:14:10 Thursday, 24 April, 2014

Smyg, your dreams are far more interesting than mine's. You can have that reassurance at least.

...You know what, let me try doing that thing I used to do long time ago. I think I can score a few points, at least:
Smyg wrote:This is an old one, freshly translated. Exact times for writing unknown.
January 30th 2014 - Early during the night
I am travelling in North Korea again, with SB. I remember that it is my third trip - I have already been here a second time, with JS. We are newly arrived - everything feels just as bizarrely glamorous as it did in real life at arrival in Pyongyang. It is Winter, and very dark outside. We get cocktails at the hotel.
I ma not sure about how your relationship with the initialS-named-people is, so I will just skip ahead.
SB and I talk about safety. She has heard that the elevators in North Korea are poorly made and unstable, and therefore she wants to use the stairs up to our rooms. I say that we can't take the stairs, since they are restricted for tourists, and that the elevators are actually safe, even if they are a bit freaky to use with large glass walls staring out into the night. We talk to a North Korean guide, hearing some propaganda about the country.
Elevators can be considered as means to reach up (or go down) relatively quickly. At least, faster than on stairs... Which can be considered the difficult/long way out. I am not sure how this applies to the situation, however.

If I had to bet, I would say this bit is about privacy. Large walls of glass that look into the night: You cannot see people in the dark, but people can see you in the elevator. So you do not have access to other people's secrets/ideas/whatever, even if they do have access to yours.
I am home, in Herrestad. I'm arguing with people, acting annoyingly and bothersome towards friends, family and teachers. It's ninth grade again? Or at least people from it. Behave badly towards MT, my math and science teacher. Am in a large grocery store, maybe Överskottsbolaget next to school. Have made people there sour at me through my behaviour, try to avoid them (guards?) in the entrance by sneaking out the back.
Again, not sure what your relationship with "MT" was so I will skip this.
Am now in a row house area in Herrestad, not far from the store and my old school. It is night, and dark. AJ is with me. Groups of toddlers gather on the streets, one by one crowding around us. A child, about age eight, tries to attack me. I hit back, in self-defence. Punch him to the ground. We hurriedly leave the area, to escape possible parental retribution.
Children forming a crowd at night = "Childish crowd" = People who do not understand your point(s) of view/ideas.
She and I are now naked. Non-erotically. Wander through the forest beyond Herrestad. We pass a dark, frightening house. We finally reach a height, and turn out to have found ourselves just north of Mollön, overlooking the peninsula from a ridge. With that, dawn comes, calm and beautiful. Mollön is the same Mollön as usual, yet as always has a very different appearance. Rugged, bare and light-toned cliffs, with very few buildings. I suddenly realize everything is mirrored. I think about it, and realize that this prior deduction is actually incorrect - the world is not mirrored. What was I thinking?
You are naked non-erotically because, again, these are privacy concerns. "They can see your private parts" = "They can see your private affairs".

"The world is mirror" vs. "the world is not mirrored" could be that you are not seeing things clearly.
We reach the boat shack belonging to my family, which here is an individual building rather than a lean-to-esque attatchment. We find clothes. I put on jeans and a dark red shirt, and then walk the quiet shoreline road up to the family farm.
Individual building rather than attachment could mean independence or maybe that your family does not depend on others (just themselves). If you have a family farm this is even more the case.
Am now on IRC. Talking to #Molotov about what a lousy person I've been to people lately. Gesar has a very strange name, I don't recognize him at first. Get the impression that he's one of the people I've insulted, but realize it is him. He is writing entirely in symbols, and mentions (what?) something about personal experience with arranged marriages. The words "ID-a" and "kärlek". [Note: "To identify", "love"] BgKnight logs in. His nickname is strange. Something along the lines of "BgKnight|BritishFascistBrazil", or similar.
I do not spend enough time to in the chat (if I barely ever go, as a matter of fact, he he) to know how you relate to Gesar. Still, what you wrote is sufficient to say that you do care about your friend's opinion.

In fact, that whole part is just about that: Not recognizing a friend after having been lousy to people means... Just that. You may have hurt a friend to the point where he may become a stranger again. Writing in symbols just points further into that direction. Arranged marriages = forced relationships.

"BgKnight|BritishFascistBrazil" - this is about your own political views. We all know where Bg is from, and we all know that his country has been oppressed in the past by an Empire... Which is also present in the next word. A slash clearly separates the Oppressed from Empire, Imperialist, and Colony... (Aaaand, now I am sounding like a lame fortune teller. Great.)
Am back in North Korea again. I see everything as if it is a poorly filmed documentary, flashing by. Am on a moving train. I am instructed, documentary-style, about how to bribe officials, officers, etc. with alcohol. An officer in green uniform and red medals is initially suspicious towards my offering of whisky in a square-shaped plastic bottle. He accepts it in the end. A bottle of cheap vodka is standing on the table in the restaurant wagon. Am now suddenly definitely in a documentary. I see a feature about how North Korea has a system with titles, whatever that means, and about how a system of credits no longer is working (BoP?). I see a montage about the country's economic issues, and wake up out of boredom.
Conclusion:
My personal take on this dream is that this is primarily about how your political or other personal points of view have effects on other people, namely people you know. Of all the online users I have interacted with, you are one of the few who are rather straightforward about their posture in real life as they are on the Internet
SpoilerShow
(granted, maybe most people on Molotov are like that, but you get what I am trying to say right?)
. That is what "glass elevator" and "being naked non-erotically" mean. Everyone can see where you stand.

"North Korea" and "being in a documentary" could mean that such is how other people perceive you: As a person who follows a (according to themselves) misguided ideology and who defends it to the last... By now, we have all seen Stalin caricatures and how the right (and/or misinformed people) use those to smear the left - hence the "guide talking propaganda". And you are the left here, comrade.

The final bit is of particular note, though. North Korea here and it's woes are meant to represent how you see the present global economic system. "System with titles" = 'Hello, Mr. President' - 'Good day, Prime Minister', 'How are you, Chancellor?', and so forth. "System of credits that is no longer working"... I think you cannot get more literal than that. I mean, the present economic system is build around credit (or debt, if you prefer) and it is no longer working. At least not in it's present status quo. "A military man wearing green with red" = Imperialism, the rich, elites, etc. - the people who take what they want because they have authority rather than earning them through the fruits of their labour. An egotistical/immature (green) usage of authority (uniformed officer) to acquire others' produce (red medals). And you are in the documentary because... Well, who is not living under the global financial system? Being outside of it a few moments prior and it being "bad" means you recognize it's flaws.

Smyg

Post by Smyg » 16:14:18 Thursday, 24 April, 2014

As always, captivating analysis RP. I've missed that part of having you around, haha!
(PCB)

Return to “Creative Writing”