CK2 Succession Game: Restore the Danelaw!

Write creatively!
Serenissima
England Expects Every Man Will Do His Duty

CK2 Succession Game: Restore the Danelaw!

Post by Serenissima » 23:44:25 Tuesday, 24 June, 2014

After a discussion on IRC between myself, Coin, and Huo, we've decided that it's time for another CK2 Succession Game. Consequently, we picked from the Interesting Characters list... and found one that tickled the interest.

Consequently, we will be playing as the dynasty of one Prince of England, Aelfwine Knytling, last surviving direct descendant of Canute the Great, king of England, Denmark and Norway. By default, he starts as an unlanded courtier in Toulouse, but for the purpose of this game, he has wormed his way into being granted the county of Narbonne in southern France. All he has is his county, his dynasty name, and a strong claim on England, as well as his own decent personal abilities.

Here is the link to the savegame. Anyone want the first turn? I'll take it, if nobody else wants, but I figured I'd give you guys the chance first.

Our goal is simple: to become king of England, Denmark and Norway, simultaneously, and live up to our revered ancestor's memory.
"Imagine lies, and then write them down in order. That is literally all authors do!"

Metal Gear BoP: Japan
Brazil: Luís Carlos Prestes, the Knight of Hope

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Re: CK2 Succession Game: Restore the Danelaw!

Post by Huojin » 09:50:53 Wednesday, 25 June, 2014

You can go for it. Try not to do a Coinneach and die really early, leaving an infant son :P

Coin
Mise, Pangur Bán agus PILOT WHALES

Post by Coin » 10:42:18 Wednesday, 25 June, 2014

Huojin wrote:You can go for it. Try not to do a Coinneach and die really early, leaving an infant son :P
This, please. Was rather annoying :P

Serenissima

Post by Serenissima » 22:51:59 Wednesday, 25 June, 2014

All right, I'll start... quality may be variable, as is style, because I'm literally writing this and taking screenshots as I play.

SpoilerShow
I am the twenty-nine-year-old Saxon count of Narbonne, deep in Occitan territory in southern France, and neighbour to the Catalans. The first decision, as it often is, was choosing a wife. While there are several tempting princesses, the ones I really want to look at - of course - are all Scandinavian, so that we can start to reclaim our birthright. Our family may be Saxons now, but our roots and blood are Nordic!

While both Denmark and Norway are elective monarchies, Norway has significantly fewer competitors to the Yngling family... and the potential to be kings of England if they win their invasion, too.

The first order of business is to have a son... by any means necessary. I propose marriage to Princess Maria of Norway... and while waiting to hear back about the marriage, fortuitously tumble with a teenage courtier named Aethelflaed. A man's got to do what a man's got to do, after all. Maria arrives a few days later, and I gain prestige.

Immediately, I begin fabricating claims on nearby counts, and am met with a lucky success within a few months. I raise city taxes to harsh as a first move, to maximise income. France is declared on by the HRE, a de jure war over Ghent, but I'm not concerned with this struggle.

Aethelflaed has a bastard daughter of mine... not a son, unfortunately. I acknowledge Aethelgifu as my child, to keep my options open in case of a lack of fertility. Maria doesn't appreciate this much... but she's not bearing my child, so damn her! Soon, another daughter is born to Aethelflaed, but she is a hunchback and the mother does not even acknowledge me as the father. Just as well.

Finally, my wife has a child... and it's another girl. Damn it! Still, Eanswith is my legitimate heir... shortly afterwards, a civil war brews up in France for elective monarchy.

Seizing the opportunity, I attack the neighbouring county of Melgueil, with the help of the Saxon Band and - naturally - my savings. I win two battles, eliminating Count Raimond's army. None of his allies help him.

During the war, my young lover Aethelflaed complains that I do not spend enough time with her. I buy her a gift for ten gold, becoming Charitable, and soon after, she becomes pregnant. At last, I have a son! A bastard, that I legitimise swiftly. Young Canute, as I have called him, will hopefully live up to his name. Much to my good fortune, the boy is Strong! My wife Maria is upset, naturally... but she should give me sons if she wants to avoid this problem.

By the April of 1071, I have won my war and become Count of Melgueil. My demesne doubles in size, and I now control the whole Mediterranean coast of France. In celebration, I order an upgrade to my castle's walls back at my court in Narbonne. And have a tumble with another courtier, who bears me a second bastard son, Maccus. My wife may hate me, but I do need the heirs... he is legitimised. Unfortunately, he is a hunchback: but a son is a son.

King Harold of England finally wins by 1073. For now, we need to be patient, and not fail like both Harald Hardradr and William the Bastard did... My wife, Maria, bears a second child. Another daughter. Meanwhile, another civil war I do not care about erupts in France.

With little else to do, I decide to go on a pilgrimage. To curry favour with the Holy Father, I elect to go to Rome, ponder the universe, and become a mystic. While in the market in Rome, I become Kind after attending a fair. As this makes me weak, it's time to take the ambition to improve my Intrigue.

Years are spent waiting for claims to be fabricated... and then two come along in 1075, with both Foix and Carcassonne being fabricated by my chancellor. Once my levies are reinforced... it'll be time for war! After the dragon hunt, that is. My son Canute becomes six years old, and naturally, I choose to tutor him myself.

War is declared on Raimond-Rogier of Carcassonne in December 1077. The Saxon Band, once again, will be my loyal shock troops. The count's all does not aid him. His army fears to engage in combat, and I besiege and take all of his territory, winning the war without bloodshed. As my mercenaries are already raised, they immediately march upon Foix at the conclusion of the war for Carcassonne. Foix does no better, and now I am ruler of four counties in southern France. Next stop, the duchy of Toulouse...

My liege, Guilhem of Toulouse, starts a plot to revoke the county of Narbonne from me. In retaliation, I can now plot to fabricate a claim on his duchy! A few cheap bribes here and there to barons and mayors who give me five percent power each, plus the support of the King and a couple of other major dukes... and I have one hundred percent. The claim is fabricated.

Now, I need to gather allies. My thirteen-year-old daughter Eanswith is betrothed to King Sancho of Castille, who is being tutored by a certain Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar. An unimportant nobody who will never amount to anything, clearly.

I'm waiting for the moment... and then the King of France, Philippe the Lame, creates the Kingdom of Aquitaine and tries to institute Medium Crown Authority. If he succeeds, I will no longer be able to press my claim... the time for war has come, ready or not. It is September 1083. The die is cast! William the Bastard has joined in on the side of the Duke of Toulouse, making this a challenging fight. As the Saxons are unavailable, I hire the Catalans and the Irish. Jewish money will finance the mercenaries, and then I must try to weather the storm!

I defeat Guilhem's army at Gevaudan in a swift battle, after chasing them down through the northern half of the Duchy of Toulouse, and then see an enormous army of William the Bastard's Normans approaching. I avoid them, while they besiege my capital, taking up the siege just to the north, over the border in Rouerge. William's army abandons the siege and marches north to confront me at Vabres...

ImageImage

It is a pitched battle, with even numbers on both sides. We are triumphant, thanks to our use of the river for defence and my own heroic leadership. William's son Richard leads a second, smaller army south, but is despatched easily as well. Long live Duke Aelfwine of Toulouse!

The former Duke is still a brief problem... but as I only have one count-level vassal other than him, the tyranny penalty means little, and I imprison and banish him, seizing his gold and titles. My court is moved to Toulouse, as is suitable for my new status. It is April 1085.

Now that I am a Duke, my sons become marriageable. My eldest, Canute, is betrothed to Princess Adelheid of the Holy Roman Empire, and earmarked for the County of Rouerge. My second son Maccus is betrothed to Princess Giselle of France and earmarked for the County of Foix. I am now over my demesne limit, but will give a county each to my sons, and solve the problem.

Berenguie, the Count of Gevaudan, soon begins plotting to take away my son's title of Rouerge. As he has a high Martial score, I invite him to become my Marshal... only to make it easier to imprison him. Sadly, the imprisonment fails, but my army was ready for this possibility, and begins besieging his rebelling county in 1086. The war is quite a mobile one, with armies popping up everywhere and being defeated by my levies. It is a slow war, going on at the same time as a rebellion for lower crown authority by the Duke of Aquitaine.

Sadly, my eldest daughter, and former Queen of Croatia before the King died under suspicious circumstances, dies of pneumonia while visiting her new husband Duke Eadwin of Mercia in 1088. The first child of mine that has gone to the Lord. In a subsequent battle, I gain insights into military organisation techniques. I finally win the war, and grant my son Canute the County of Gevaudan, formerly held by the man who dared try to take my son's title from him.

As the mighty Duke of Barcelona has usurped the Kingdom of Aragon by 1090, my plans to expand into his Duchy have become moot. I must look elsewhere, within France, instead... as a temporary measure, I fabricate a claim on the County of Auvergne. I do not intend to use it, just yet... for now, my sights are on the still-independent duchy of Brittany. A man could declare himself a king if he were to hold that land, after all... my son, Maccus, being an even better diplomat than I am, is sent to fabricate the claims.

My daughter marries a Prince of the Byzantine Empire, after her husband, Eadwin of England - formerly Eadwin of Mercia - dies in battle fighting a revolt against his rule in 1093. Prince Hippoyltos is an experienced diplomat, and more expendable than my son. He goes to fabricate the claims instead. He also becomes a Catholic, later on. Meanwhile, the young King of France dies under suspicious circumstances.

My wife Maria has long since forgiven me for my trespasses. As three of her daughters have become queens at one time or another, and she never bore a son, it seems she is pleased with how my plans have turned out, as she is with how my two legitimised bastard sons are doing. She died after a brief illness at age 48 in February 1095, freeing me up to choose a new wife before Maria's body is even cold. And who better than my liege's beautiful daughter, Princess Blanche of France?

Finally, I have a legitimate son, by my second wife, the beautiful young princess. He will, of course, be named after me! It seems he is a beautiful boy, though very sickly... some time afterwards, another bastard son, Uhtraed, is born with my lover. I do not legitimise him, but I acknowledge him as mine. Sweetly enough, my wife falls in love with me despite all of this, not minding the unlegitimised bastard even slightly, it seems.

France erupts into a civil war to lower crown authority, in which I am a participant. Shortly before this, I had fabricated a claim on the Duchy of Brittany and declared war upon them. My mercenary forces and levies defeated Brittany. As my only vassals were my sons, I could banish the imprisoned lords freely, then grant the lands to my sons. A Crusade was called, but everyone in Europe is too busy fighting each other to go, including me. It fails horribly, making no gains at all. It'd be a black day for Christendom if my own personal lordship wasn't going so well.

Several factions appear in France and press their demands for elective monarchy by 1101, as the King is far too weak to resist. France and Aquitaine both become elective monarchies by 1104. In vengeance for what his dynasty did in the past, however... I have set my sights on the title of Duke of Normandy, betrothing my son Aelfwine to his youngest daughter, Mabel, and assassinating his eldest son Asclettin and his first daughter Matilda. This will clear the way for my dynasty to eventually inherit Normandy.

ImageImage

In the spring of 1106, there is a revolt against my rule in Brittany, seeking independence under a new Breton ruler. My forces are outnumbered, and mercenaries are hired to deal with them. By the time they get there, however, the French army has already crushed the revolt for me. After this, my wife's elder sister appears in my court, with her husband, after her husband lost his title as Duke of Flanders. Immediately, she comes to my chamber - this old dog of seventy years has it in him yet, with two sisters, both princesses of France!

ImageImage

It is January, 1107. I am now an old man, but one at the height of my power and ambition. Plotting for my dynasty to control Normandy, in charge of the duchies of Toulouse and Brittany, with three lovers, three legitimate sons, and many influential daughters. I press the claim on Auvergne, as a gift for my son, using the mercenaries hired earlier for the abortive Breton revolt.

King Henri of France dies of old age on the 9th of September, 1107 - only slightly older than myself, at 72. As both France and Aquitaine were under elective succession due to separate factions which I was not even involved in, that puts us now as vassals of Aquitaine, not France. Aquitaine individually is far weaker than France was together, and I am in an excellent position to declare independence, or else demand that I be made King of Aquitaine, as by far the most powerful lord in the new kingdom.

A revolt against Duke Robert the Cruel of Normandy begins. My armies, fresh from their victory in Auvergne, begin marching north, with myself at their head, to protect my enemy's lands so that his daughter - my legitimate son Aelfwine's betrothed - will inherit when he dies. The night after my troops heroically rout the rebel Count Tybalt de Vassy's army at Evreux, on the 11th of September 1108, I lie down on my folding camp bed after the victory celebration, head full of mead and wine, arms full of the pretty young courtier Wulfgyth who keeps me warm on the long nights on campaign. I drift off to sleep, contented and full of vigour... and never wake up again.

So ends the life of Aelfwine Knytling, duke of Toulouse and Brittany, count of Narbonne, Melgueil, Carcasonne and Toulouse. True king of England, Denmark and Norway. May your reign be just as prosperous and successful, Duke Canute...

First come, first served. Who's next? If the next turn is not finished by Monday night by whoever is first, it will pass to the second person who asked, to have until Friday to finish it, and so on.
"Imagine lies, and then write them down in order. That is literally all authors do!"

RinKou
Jackbooted Swinelicker Fascist

Post by RinKou » 02:22:20 Thursday, 26 June, 2014

Damn, Seren, you scary.

(Steam's still fucked my CKII so I can't play anyway, so this isn't dibs.)
Heartache by the Numbers: Caravan Master

If you say that prancing mailman of a GM is ever going to run the gangster game WELL THEN I SAY GOOD DAY SIR -oyid

I write things!
I post things!

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 14:37:00 Thursday, 26 June, 2014

RinKou wrote:Damn, Seren, you scary.

(Steam's still fucked my CKII so I can't play anyway, so this isn't dibs.)
Steer yer ship fer tha infamous den of smugglers an' rogues, situated in some Swedish bay. Tis banned fer any British ships ta venture thar, bein' afeared of a certain "blockade", but there's always ways around such things, if yer gettin' me meanin'.

(Just Pirate Bay it and play with us :<)

Also, in the interests of moving quickly, I'll take the next one, sure. I'll get playing and try to post tonight.

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 00:22:00 Sunday, 29 June, 2014

So a tiny update, since you might be wondering what's going on:

I'm still not dead. I'm 81 and, because it's fucking witchcraft, I had a look in charinfo what my health is at. 9.1. Which is ridiculous. And I really don't want to be alive any more. So I guess this is a formal request to anyone else playing if they mind if I use the console to add the "Depressed" trait so I can commit suicide.

Serenissima

Post by Serenissima » 00:55:13 Sunday, 29 June, 2014

Huojin wrote:So a tiny update, since you might be wondering what's going on:

I'm still not dead. I'm 81 and, because it's fucking witchcraft, I had a look in charinfo what my health is at. 9.1. Which is ridiculous. And I really don't want to be alive any more. So I guess this is a formal request to anyone else playing if they mind if I use the console to add the "Depressed" trait so I can commit suicide.
Jesus christ. Strong adds like +2, but that still means the base would have been something like 7.

If you're going to be using the console, you could also just do 'kill [your character ID]'.

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 20:07:53 Sunday, 29 June, 2014

Serenissima wrote:

Jesus christ. Strong adds like +2, but that still means the base would have been something like 7.

If you're going to be using the console, you could also just do 'kill [your character ID]'.
Yeah, but being depressed and committing suicide is slightly more in-character, particularly given the path he's gone down. Canute is not a happy bunny.

Any objections? Coinneach? Readers? Potential other players?

RinKou
Jackbooted Swinelicker Fascist

Post by RinKou » 22:53:05 Sunday, 29 June, 2014

The machine gods have gifted Canute with 9.5 health. It is your duty to make use of this bounty, regardless of how heavy the burden may be.
Heartache by the Numbers: Caravan Master

If you say that prancing mailman of a GM is ever going to run the gangster game WELL THEN I SAY GOOD DAY SIR -oyid

I write things!
I post things!

Coin
Mise, Pangur Bán agus PILOT WHALES

Post by Coin » 05:08:16 Monday, 30 June, 2014

Huojin wrote:
Serenissima wrote:

Yeah, but being depressed and committing suicide is slightly more in-character, particularly given the path he's gone down. Canute is not a happy bunny.

Any objections? Coinneach? Readers? Potential other players?
I say run with it for now, if nothing else, it is unlikely you'll live past 90. The game tends to look poorly on folk that old, even if that health is bloody insane. But, admittedly, if you're bored, and it works rp-wise, then I've no objection if you add_trait depressed if you've had enough of ol' Canute.

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 19:21:51 Wednesday, 02 July, 2014

So I ruled for nearly 50 years, which means a shitton of pictures. Let me know if any of the pictures don't make sense, something's missing, something's repeated, etc. It was a lot to process >_>
SpoilerShow
Chapter 2: The Reign of Canute

I am Canute, heir to the legacy of my forebear, Canute the Great - King of all England and Denmark and the Norwegians and some of the Swedes. I have inherited the same strength that has run through our family line for generations, and led us to glory. With my father's hard work to make the House of Knytling feared and respected again, I will endeavour to press on, and reclaim our lost lands - and more.

Examining the situation my father has left me, we stand in good stead. The family succession is secure, as I have 3 sons and my second wife is pregnant again. The family coffers are full and we have a number of powerful and influential allies. But there is a worry in my mind. The Knytling claim on England will expire at my death if I fail to press it, our dominion over those lands having fallen out of memory. I ought to keep this in mind, lest my great-grandfather's legacy be forgotten entirely.

Still beset by rebels and war, I send an offer to Duke Robert the Cruel of Normandy to continue where my father left off in aiding him in defence of his title, securing the future succession of my half-brother's wife. He quickly accepts, as any sane man would, and my father's army of mercenaries continues its bloody work in northern France.

Meanwhile in Toulouse, I have decided it has been too long that our dynasty has been without Kingship, toiling under these Occitan and Frankish idiots. I will gather my supporters and make known my intention to claim the throne of Aquitaine.

A missive arrives as the King Magnus of Norway agrees to a betrothal arranged by my father shortly before his death - my second son, Eadfrith, to his youngest daughter. No land will follow, but my father was wise to ensure continued ties to our lost kingdoms, and their future aid in growing our own power.

I also rearrange my council of advisers. My half-brother Maccus was my father's Chancellor before me, and now shall be mine. His great skill will see our house propelled to greatness, I am sure. My son and heir, Cenfus, is also removed as my court chaplain - he has far greater things to do than spend his time dithering in chapels.

The King of Aquitaine names me High Almoner in an attempt to appease me from my claim on his kingdom, but he is in for a rude awakening in the very near future. He also offers to have my youngest son educated by his queen, to be raised "a proper Frankish Catholic". If I could spit on him and his offer, I would. I will not give my son over as a hostage, nor allow him to be corrupted by the Frankish way of life. He will be raised as I was, and my father, and his father before him.

His final attempts to win me over is the offices of Chancellor and then Marshal in his council of advisers, but this ruse to lure me to his capital will not avail him. War is coming, whether he likes it or not.

Meanwhile in the north, with the armies of the rebels against Normandy crushed by mine own armies, scattering them to the four winds, I march southwards to the gates of the rebel stronghold. Once they have been put down completely and this war is at an end, the time to strike at King Eudes of Aquitaine will be ripe - and with the Duke of Normandy increasingly aged, with any luck his daughter will inherit in time to aid me in my campaigns.

No longer Court Chaplain, Cenfus starts bothering me about lands to govern. I promise to arrange it, and land him in the Duchy of Tolouse, keeping him close by and out of trouble.

Another son is born to me by my wife, and though not strong like his father or 2 eldest brothers, he will be a welcome addition to the family.

My plans are suddenly upset when the Holy Roman Emperor declares a war for the Duchy of Aquitaine. The damned Emperor is always getting involved where he's not wanted, and now my future Kingdom will be at his mercy. Limited Crown Authority comes into effect in time for the King to better gather his forces against the Emperor, though I must wonder how helpful it will really be.

Suddenly, the Kaiser, aged as he was, dies of depression. My son, by virtue of his mother, a Salian, inherits the lands of the former Emperor, as well as, regrettably, the County of Auvergne. In the future though, as my heir, those lands and more will return to our domain.

With the Kaiser, his claim on Aquitaine also dies, and crisis is narrowly averted. Our plans are back on track, and the King's titles are firmly in my sight.

My half-brother procures a claim on the County of Chalons, which I graciously accept, but he must work harder - only the Duchy of Burgandy will suffice to make our in-roads into France more substantial.

My son Eadfrith comes of age, and with his ascent into manhood, his long-awaited betrothal to a Princess of Norway that will forge an alliance between us and the Kingdom of Norway.

As the banner of the rebels over Argentan is replaced by the white flag of surrender, and thin and gaunt troops open the gates to the armies of Normandy and Tolouse, the rebellion in Normandy is at its end, and my armies begin their quick march southwards to Orleans, enclave-capital of Aquitaine. The King is a lunatic, who daily allows encroachments into the Kingdom and infighting amongst vassals - he must be stopped.

My ultimatum to Eudes precedes my army by mere days, and hopelessly outnumbered he surrenders the crown before my forces even reach the gates of Orleans.

For my first act as King, I resolve to reclaim certain lost territories. The County of Auvergne has, by some contrivance, become part of Flanders - a state of affairs I will not tolerate. With my mercenaries armies still in the north, I declare war for Auvergne. The mercenaries are deployed such as to prevent Flemish troops from the north relieving their armies in the south.

The Flemish however cleverly avoid my forces in the north, sailing round to the Bay of Biscay.

In the midst of a war, Fraticelli heretics crop up in my kingdom - truly this place is not in the good graces of God.

With the aid of the Duke of Gascogne, whose lands the Flemish were attempting to occupy, I successfully rout their armies before my mercenaries make it south to join the siege on Auvergne.

I marry my daughter to the second in line to the throne of Galicia - with any luck, her new husband will be King should his brother have any "accidents", and the alliance with Galicia may prove useful regardless.

Yet at every turn, whilst fighting wars to restore the honour and borders of these lands, I must put down plots that threaten the kingdom from within. Despite acting in what I view as a merciful way, my vassals begin to refer to me as Canute the Cruel - a poor title, compared to my great-grandfather's "the Great", but if I must live up to my title to unite these disparate Frankish and Occitan fools, so be it.

I arrange some marriages and betrothals, and others come to fruition - if I cannot have internal peace, I can at least have external supporters to help me crush my rebellions and resist my enemies.

My internal situation is even more perilous than suspected - assassins make an attempt on my life that I narrowly avoid.

After a lengthy campaign and occupation of Auvergne, the Flemish finally surrender, restoring part of the territorial integrity of Aquitaine. However with my vassals restless, I am forced to lower the taxation slightly to ease their anger and restore some semblance of stability.

I also send my half-sister to be educated by the Duchess of Poitou. I have quickly learned that whilst my father conquered our lands within Aquitaine, I must be the one to maintain this Kingdom's unity and prepare for the future. In time, I hope to greatly expand our lands, but with stability comes the strength to do so.

Further arrangements must also be made to secure allies in Europe. If England is to be mine before my death, we must gather strong friends to our cause that will lend their strength of arms to our own. My bastard half-brother Uhtraed is betrothed to a daughter of the King of Castille (truly my niece, as her mother was my half-sister, one of father's few trueborn children), and marries her shortly thereafter. My third son, Oscytel, is betrothed to a daughter of the Holy Roman Emperor, whose son will one day follow him, giving our alliance a greater time span.

Since the recapture of Auvergne in September 1112, it has been 2 years spent in recovery and consolidation, biding our time and waiting for alliances to mature into being. Despite uncertainties at home, England calls to me, and I feel the urge for conquest that has slept for so long beginning to stir within me. The family continues to strengthen, as my wife gives birth to twin sons - Aelfstan and Aelfsige. My household is beginning to get crowded, but more sons will beget more alliances in the future.

Yet still beset by traitors who wish my death, I must take swift action. If I imprison him, I will be unable to seize his titles or execute or banish him, lest my vassals call me a tyrant, and overthrow my plans to change the succession laws in Aquitaine. And he refuses to abandon his plot. Therefore I must target his co-conspirators and force them to abandon their plans.

I find myself under assault from neighbouring French lords as well, who seeing the relative weakness of my realm, attempt to forge claims on my titles. Little do they know that just weeks later, France falls into its own civil war, as lords fight against the tyranny of their King. Witnessing this internal chaos, I take the opportunity to strike, declaring war for the Duchy of Anjou on a claim of one of my courtiers. Taking the opportunity to weaken the English King, for now my ally, I call him into the war as well.

With the French armies brutally crushed in a series of quick battles, their poor morale allowing far smaller forces to send them packing before my main armies even arrived, I begin the siege phase of the campaign in earnest. English troops soon arrive, regrettably too late for the bulk of the fighting, but in time to batter down castle walls for me.

My position remains constantly under threat, yet with a diligent spymaster, I am aware of most of the attempts being made against my life long before they occur. For now, at least, we remain secure.

With the sieges quickly progressing and the King of France struggling against his rebellious vassals, he soon capitulates, adding the Duchy of Anjou to the Kingdom of Aquitaine.

Having made efforts to befriend Duchess Ermengarde of Aquitaine, she shows her appreciation for our new friendship by naming my son and heir as her choice to succeed me as King of Aquitaine. If this course is followed, we may be able to avoid a lesser form of succession law, allowing Cenfus, my son, to transition to primogeniture more smoothly.

More good news follows, as my half-sisters long betrothal period finally comes to an end, and she marries King Fortun II of Navarra. With these continental alliances, it will not be long before we are well positions to reclaim England.

In the Holy Roman Empire, House Hupoldinger loses overall control, forcing me to break a betrothal with the now-only Duke of Tyrol, and forge a new contract with the King of Denmark. His 15 year old daughter is weak, but her father's armies are strong, and will prove extremely useful in retaking England. Whether we command them or not, Danish soldiers should be present when the descendants of Canute the Great retake the Danelaw. In 3 short years, my son will come of age, and we can finally begin.

With my strength ever growing, I am finally able to force the Duke of Gascogne to abandon his foolish plot to kill me. Forgiveness? Of course. But I am not one to lightly forget such things, as your only stubborn co-conspirator, former-King Eunes, will shortly find out...

As I get older, I begin to understand my father's ways. Although I have had many children, sometimes the allure of an attractive woman, a Princess of France no less, is sometimes too great...

The Pope calls on me to allow Papal investiture, but my vassals far prefer the present system, and it must be said, so do I. Church be damned, Aquitaine is ruled from Tolouse, not Rome! As if to spite me for denying the Pope, the Knights Hospitaller try to sink their claws into my son Eanfrith, but I will not lose him to those fools who cannot even force the Muslims from the Holy Land.

My plotting and patient waiting finally pays off, as a plan is set in motion to remove that thorn in my side, the former King of Aquitaine, "Prince" Eudes.

The King of England requests that I join him in a war to remove the Anti-Pope currently secreted away deep inside the Holy Roman Empire. Unfortunately I must decline - my finances and troops will be far better spent fighting to reclaim England, rather than aiding them in a war of their own beginning.

The son of my half-brother Maccus, late Count of Foix, Cornouaille and Leon, though only a child, looks to pose an obstacle to my peaceful governance of the Kingdom. I have elected to take his guardianship for myself, in an effort to temper his disposition

My son Oscytel finally comes of age, and with it, his betrothal to a Princess of Denmark is fulfilled.

Yet the English also have an elective monarchy. With insufficient funds and time to kill English lords until a regency or female ruler appears, our main chance must come in fighting against the English in the war they first invited us to join them in. The Holy Roman Emperor quickly accepts my support, and the armies of Aquitaine march for Italy, where the English armies have landed. In short order, Holy Roman and Aquitainian armies crush the English, who are destroyed.

My forces gather in my fleet and before long, land in Wessex, where Canute the Great first set foot on England. Battering the scattered remnants of English armies attempting to rally, my vast force rampages throughout England, everywhere sowing death and destruction upon the troops of this false King. However his vassals remain unwilling to rise up in revolt, forcing me to withdraw my forces in the hope of better news later.

That news soon comes, as I learn that my plans to add the Duchy of Burgandy to Aquitaine have come to fruition, the Duchess dying at my hands and her son, the recently-made Duke of Bourbon, has inherited.

Taking advantage yet again of France's disorder and weakness, I launch a brief war to seize the County of Bourges for a vassal. Using only my trustworthy retinues, the county soon falls, and France surrenders it. Orleans is no longer an enclave, but connected bodily to the rest of Aquitaine.

It is now 1123, 15 years since my father died and I became Duke of Toulouse and Britanny. I have aged considerably in those years, and am now more than 50 years old. And only now is my crown authority medium. I hope that in the future, my son Cenfus will gain High Crown Authority, and with it Primogeniture succession.

The English-Papist War to overthrow the Holy Roman Anti-Pope fails, and England is at its weakest for a century. I am 52 now, and feel the years more keenly than in my youth. My claim will not pass to my son if I stand by and do nothing - I will not see the birthright of the House of Canute the Great fall by the wayside, forgotten and abandoned to the ages. I haste, I summon my spymaster, who I send with all haste to London, the capital of England, with a hefty bag of gold. Our realm does not want for funds, and by hook or by crook, I will wage my war on the English.

With expensive assassins hired, two Kings of England fall at my hand, one known and one covert, before the 3 year old Prince Sighere sits in the same throne his grandfather sat but days before. The time has come. England will be mine. My allies are called on and my banners called - a Canute of House Knytling is returning to England.

All my allies abandon me but one - the valiant King of Galicia, who I have assisted in a number of wars against the Muslim hordes. Clearly the old Kings of England were too efficient in their diplomacy, or perhaps the blood of dead kings has stained me in the eyes of these others. No matter, I will resolve this struggle myself.

Unlike my great grandfather, who led a fearsome array of Vikings from across Scandinavia, my army is predominantly Franks, Bretons and Occitans, with only a small core of true warriors in the traditions of old. And not longships, but great ships in the Frankish fashion bear us hence to the lands of old. But no matter. This will still be a war for the ages, and with our old lands restored, we will regain the old ways. My army lands in Wessex, as in the previous campaign, and as Canute the Great did more than 100 years ago, and from there, the campaign begins in earnest.

My allies from Galicia soon join me, their forces welcome in these lands for the strength they lend. When this war is won, my son-in-law King Garcia V will be repaid for his great assistance.

As the old King of Denmark, who had denied me, falls in battle, his young son, whose sister is my daughter-in-law, agree to join my campaign. With any luck Danish warriors will soon arrive on these coasts, and the knowledge of the return of House Knytling will become well known to them. I must exceed my father, I must live up to my namesake, I must reclaim the Crown of England...

In the midst of the war, I invite a Danish princess (and her claim on the homeland) to my court. If my son so desires when he comes to the throne, he can betroth her to my grandson and in time, we will be Kings in Denmark too.

The Armies of Denmark begin to arrive in England, where they see the completion of the conquestion of Middlesex, and march with the army onwards to more conquests. The English armies have dissolved before my forces - soon the war will be won.

My daughter, the Queen of Galicia, dies suddenly of pneumonia. Yet the Galician forces remain in the war, determined to see their honour-bound commitment to fight alongside me to the end. Despite her passing, the campaign fills me with hope - the stress I have felt weighing on my shoulders, the pressure of generations of greatness, lifts as I feel the battles nearing their end. Great God, let me live to see the restoration of my house to the throne of England!

My son Aelfwald marries the Duchess of Aragon, the most powerful noblewoman in the Kingdom of Aragon, just across the Pyrenees from Aquitaine

Finally, after a lengthy campaign, it is done. As the missive from the Boy King of England arrives, my men cheer and shout to the heavens. THE WAR IS OVER. ENGLAND IS OURS ONCE MORE.

With the great reconquest completed, a grand tournament is called to celebrate! Yet whilst the realm rejoices and celebrates, I must find the solution to this damned elective system and ensure my son Cenfus inherits both thrones.

In an attempt to appease the disheartened and angry English lords, I spend a great deal in gifts, and betroth my twin sons to two English dukes' daughters. In time, at least, I will have allies on the isles.

Yet more Kings must die at my hands - King Hamlin of France takes a tumble so that he does not inherit his mothers lands and steal the County of Tours into France. Yet after all these years, I am weary of these killings. So much death, so much fighting to maintain a fragile hold on my lands. I toy with the idea of destroying the Kingdom of England and placing Aquitaine under Seniority succession - Cenfus, my son, would still inherit, whereas now my vassals, not understanding my need to reconquer England, protest my use of their troops on the long campaign by supporting another candidate to succeed me.

After much waiting and planning, I finally obtain a claim on the Duchy of Valois in France. Though expensive to obtain, the hope for gaining the Kingdom of France in the near future in too great to resist. Aquitaine goes to war again - what must surely be my last war?

With the war soon ended, I grant the newly-conquered Duchy of Valois to my third son, Oscytel. One day, my son Cenfus will be King of France, I know it.

The former Boy King continues to be a thorn in my side - one of only a handful of English lord who bribes and gifts have not endeared to me. With just a little more effort, primogeniture will finally be gained. I arrange with an English spymaster, a solitary man (for fear of exposure), to cause the young Prince's death...

With the young Prince gone, I rearrange my council, placing troublesome lords in influential positions, sending my former enemy and new Chancellor to woo his former allies in hatred of me to see my good side. In short order, as the years tick by and the people become accustomed to my rule, I am finally viewed positively by all of my vassals count and above!

My vassals finally view me favourably, but a Holy War begun by the Kingdom of Castille against the Muslim hordes prevents me from changing the law. With all haste, my retinue armies rush south from the north of France to bring a conclusion to this war before I breathe my last...

As I am campaigning in the south, the Duke of Poitou moves to support Cenfus as the heir to Aquitaine - making him elected heir of both England and Aquitaine. For now, this situation will leave us in good stead, but the campaign must continue, lest my fickle vassals change their minds.

My sixth son dies of pneumonia. His twin brother and I mourn his passing dearly. Tragedies continue as my wife dies not long after. Truly this is a sign - my time is almost over. I must leave a better realm to my son...

In her place I make a political marriage - a Sicilian Princess - for the alliance with her brother, the King of Sicily. Perhaps, if we have a son, he might one day be King of Sicily, too...

My armies in Iberia, nearly single-handedly fighting off the Muslim hordes, finally win victory for the Catholics. And with peace, comes, finally, the succession law change for England. A crown authority decrease follows shortly after, to appease the disgruntled lords of England.

My second eldest son, Eanfrith, dies after contracting the Slow Fever. Being incapable, he did not last long. Alas, why should the young die and the old linger on? God, let me go on, I am ready for the peace of Heaven. Shortly after, I contract the Slow Fever as well. Perhaps this, at last, will be my end.

Yet again, I am denied the release of death! Why, Lord, why do I still go on?

Life continues to sprout from me, yet I am not fully diminished. Though my wife and I rejoice, all I wish for is the end.

My fifth son conspires to kill his nephew by his late-second eldest brother - my grandson. Yet as he resides in the Duchy of Aragon with his wife, I cannot convince him to abandon this ambition for kinslaying. Truly, these are dark days for my House...

A son I name Morcar is born to me and my Sicilian wife. I shall not live to see him become a man, but I hope his family will keep him safe.

The Pope calls a Crusade for Jerusalem, to reclaim the Holy City from the infidels who cower in the sands. As much as I would have liked to have charged off to glory in the East, such business is a young mans game, and my youth was spent uniting this realm. I pray to go to God in Heaven, that my son may take up the banner of Christ in my stead.

By a miracle, the King of France succeeds, with significant aid from across Europe, in becoming the King of Jerusalem! Never did I think I would live to see the day that the Holy Lands returned to the followers of Christ. Jesu Be Praised!

Unhappy with this news, the infidels soon declare a renewed era of jihad, with "mystic soldiers" ready to defend Islam...

My wife falls pregnant yet again - what kind of world will this child grow up in? I cannot know, surely it must be my time soon - and yet, it is June 1139, and I linger on regardless... Before long another son - the ninth - is born to me.

Perhaps one last campaign? Must I die on a camp bed, like father? So be it, my truce with the French is near its end, and after this war, their Kingdom will be nearly at its end. Both the Holy Roman Emperor and I fight for control of the County of Boulogne, but whilst he sits in the south, my campaign to the north thrives! It will not be long before my retinues complete their conquest of northern France and finish this little jaunt for good. Indeed, before we can even complete our sieging, the King of France capitulates. Clearly he would rather lose his lands to me, than to the behemoth of the Emperor.

It is 10th February 1142. I wonder how long I will last, and whether my dear son, Cenfus, will fall before me. Depressed, stressed and pneumonic, he may fall before me...

Indeed, but two weeks later, my son and heir dies in his bed, and my namesake, his eldest, inherits. I will do what I can for him in my last days, to ensure he inherits the Kingdom of Aquitaine as well as England.

The Duke of Burgundy has taken Cenfus' place as the preferred heir to Aquitaine. This will not do. Arranging the many nobles in the Kingdom who feel wronged by him, I put in motion events to "remove" him as an obstacle... But suddenly, before my conspirators and I arrange his removal, the tide turns and the nobles of Aquitaine support Canute instead. The plot is hastily cancelled, with the succession appearing secure.

Nevertheless, his power in my realm is greater than I would like - I agree to assist others in removing one of his duchies from him. Unable to oppose my strength and influence, he agrees, further dividing his power.

Even in my old age, my realm is threatened from within - the Duke of Lancaster is a base traitor and a fool, who has succumbed to the lies of the false Pope under the thrall of the Holy Roman Emperor.

True to their word, the Moslem infidels declare a jihad for Jerusalem. May God have mercy on Christendom.

The tide turns yet again, and the Duke of Burgundy now stands to inherit Aquitaine. I may die any day, and with plots failing to materialise, I must throw all I have into gaining his death. Three attempts are made, missing twice before finally, at long last we achieve his death and secure the succession.

Despite a Sunni Jihad for Jerusalem already in progress, and being beaten back by the King of France, the King of Castille and the Holy Roman Emperor, the Shiites now also join the fighting, declaring their own Jihad for Jerusalem.

One of my courtiers declares he has been planning for a long time to fight a war to become King of France, and having gathered his supporters, now intends to do so. I bid him well in his endeavours, but the line of Canute will be Kings in France before long, whether he sits the throne or not.

Yet another courtier from Aquitaine soon joins him, having raised his own considerable army of adventurers seeking to conquer France. Truly the French Crown is accursed, and strives only to be stabilised under Knytling rule.

With the King of France beset by adventurer armies, Jerusalem soon falls to the Shia hordes. May God have mercy on Christendom. Only one lone county, the castle of Madaba, remains of the once great Crusader Kingdom.

As I bide my time, waiting for an opportunity to resume my wars with France after the expiration of our truce when King Folques the Drunkard ends with his head on a spike, I decree the time has come. Truly, after internal reflection and thinking on the words of my father, I have come to the realisation I am not yet bound for the embrace of Heaven. Instead, I will spend my time here wisely and proudly. And in defeating the great enemies of my kingdoms, that my grandson and those who follow him may rule in prosperity, and reclaim our lost kingdoms.

For now, my target, my ambitions, lie to the east of Tolouse. In Burgundy, I see the County of Forez, west of Lyon. Part of the Holy Roman Empire. Auvergne will return to us by my grandson's lineage, but every opportunity should be made to claim these lands, that one day House Knytling will attain truly the title denied us by the Pope - Emperor.

My advisers call me mad in my old age - senile. Hah! The time is ripe, the Emperor is occupied, and we have never been stronger. To war!

Even though I go to war with the Holy Roman Empire, political opportunities still exist within it - one day, with this betrothal, my grandsons will be Dukes in Thuringia in their own right. The same goes for Norway, which one day, with the grace of God, shall be returned to us - and my line shall sit as Dukes of Trondelag too.

After occupying Forez and Auvergne, the Emperor's army finally descends on the region, striking hard. However mine own reinforcements are but a short march away, coming to relieve my retinue army. In the midst of the battle, the Duke-Consort of Carinthia falls, and though we lose the first battle and are forced to retreat, as we do so, my second army arrives, crushing the remains of the Emperor's forces and capturing the Duke of Lower Lorraine.

It was as it should always have been, in the end. I felt the strength leaving me as my army marched north to relieve Orleans of the minor French siege and aid in the complete destruction of their forces. A new King of France would have opened them to further campaigns on my part, and disposed of the troublesome threat that the Queen-Consort of France was my vassal and her son threatened to usurp my lands. Alas, it was not to be - not for me. That task shall belong to my grandson, Canute II. Like my father before me, I died in my tent, on the campaign. Thus it should always have been.

Here Lies Canute Knytling, King of all England and King of Aquitaine: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-aRXE ... sp=sharing

Requiescat in pace

Orago
I Am that Is

Post by Orago » 02:35:31 Thursday, 03 July, 2014

CK2 is amazing and gets better with every expansion. I might jump in once you guys do another rotation.

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 20:22:32 Thursday, 10 July, 2014

*cough*

Also, if Seren (or an admin/mod) could put Seren's AAR in spoiler tags, it'd cut down on the length of this thread a lot...

Serenissima

Post by Serenissima » 16:20:56 Saturday, 29 November, 2014

Since Coin never did his turn, I say this should move to someone else's control. Been too long since we heard back from the Danish claim on England.

Return to “Creative Writing”