Sons of Durin: A CK2 Middle Earth Project AAR

Write creatively!
Coin
Mise, Pangur Bán agus PILOT WHALES

Re: Sons of Durin: A CK2 Middle Earth Project AAR

Postby Coin » 11:53:16 Sunday, 26 July, 2015

Chapter VI: The Fate of Balin

Here follows the account of Burin, son of Balin, begun in the Year 3015 of the Third Age of Middle-Earth.

So it is true. Balin, my father, is dead. A thousand curses upon the orcs who defile Moria, and killed my sire. At our meeting in Rivendell, Gandalf the Grey spoke last. Imprisoned for decades by Saruman the White, now Saruman of Many Colours, he had cause to escape, fleeing north and through Moria. It was there, in the Chamber of Mazarbul, that my father's grave was found.

Seven times I have torn my beard. Seven times I have struck the rock with my axe. Seven times I have sworn vengeance, for it shall be mine. Alas that Durin's folk should be so scattered, so few as the Darkness grows strong and the orcs multiply. The Grey Wizard would not help me; on the woes of men his attentions lie. He has departed with Imrahil of Dol Amroth for Gondor.

Not even Durin's heir will help me retake Moria to see my father's grave. Dain is grown old and cautious. I demand instead a title rightfully mine - Thror's Coomb, a hold to the south of Moria, where King Thror sought refuge, once. I am by rights Lord of all the Misty Mountains, and must prepare to make war as such.

I feel guilt and greed in taking advantage of my name and strength, but my grief is greater. Dain looks little enough beyond our borders, now, and almost seems glad of the burden of the Coomb to be given away. Two years later, however, I begin to see why. Rohan has fallen to Isengard's hordes; Ithilien to Sauron's. Mithrandir, the Grey Wizard, could do nothing to stop them. Rumour has it he was defeated by the Witch-King in battle, and fled into the wild. Evil grows strong, and the White Tower stands alone.

The benefits, however, of our controlling more developed holdings are evident when I am finally able to resettle what was once Goblin-town with our own people.

The rising darkness in the East, and Dain's oddness, have left many of our people moving west. Imlad Thoron, too, is settled under Skalli's direction. In time Khalah-dum will be but one hall of many in the High Pass. Dain, strangely, goes so far as to grant me his last vault in the Misty Mountains - Harndirion. It was but a minor vault in the Coomb, but giving it up is... an odd move from my cousin. I am not sure what my father would say, but not for the first time, I miss his counsel.

A son is born to my own - and the bards, at least, shall not miss a chance for rhyme. As I am Burin, the son of Balin, so my own son Balin has taken to naming his firstborn son Burin after myself. As we feast in our halls to celebrate, one of my guard rushes to my side. A visitor awaits at our door.

My anger that he did not help me avenge my father turns instead to pity. This is not the wise wizard I once saw in Erebor; and he seems lesser now even than the wearied escapee who met us in Rivendell. Gandalf the Grey is almost spent, and when he speaks, I know now why.

"Burin, I must have your largest and swiftest horse. The Nine are abroad. Nine of the Nazgul abroad on dark horses, seeking one thing: Bilbo's ring. Alas that I was so blind. They seek the Ring of Power."

Last edited by Coin on 12:46:44 Sunday, 26 July, 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Coin
Mise, Pangur Bán agus PILOT WHALES

Postby Coin » 12:37:06 Sunday, 26 July, 2015

Chapter VII: The Battle for Middle-Earth

Gandalf the Grey departed swiftly westwards, seeking Bilbo Baggins of the Shire. He dwells not in Bag End, it is said, and it is long since any of our race has seen the fourteenth member of Thorin Oakenshield's Company. To know that the One Ring has been in his possession for so long... it is an ill thought. But there is no time for such musings. War has come to all Middle-Earth in the Year 3024 of the Third Age, as Sauron moves to strike before the Ring is found by his foes. Dain sends for aid - the Easterlings move to raze Dale to the ground.

The Beornings have answered King Bard's call as we have, and I know well how great the evil is that we must fight. All the East answers the Dark Lord's call, and we are few. United, we do perhaps have a chance. A call goes even to Thranduil of the Woodland Realm, but he has greater worries...

Dol Guldur is emptied, and the orcs and dark beasts of that ancient stronghold march north. Thranduil's realm is no Doriath; his cause is perilous indeed. I make haste to Erebor, hoping to find the armies of men and dwarves ready. But they are not. It is long since I stood here, before Dale, and longer still since I have seen my cousin. But it seems that the spirit of friendship has been corrupted by the enemy. There was disagreement between the King of Dale and the King Under The Mountain. Dain preferred to take to the Iron Hills, waiting for the Easterlings. Bard wished not to abandon his people.

I find the Lonely Mountain empty of troops. And what next I hear, is news to darken every heart.

Battle is vicious, the slaughter great. Bard led his men south, hoping to surprise the Easterling camp. But his horsemen are too few, and he is encircled, surrounded, and wiped out.

Though they fight bravely, there is no hope for the Men of Dale. They are destroyed utterly. Hearing Dain remains in the Iron Hills, I retreat swiftly westwards, taking many of the folk of Erebor with me. For there is a great shadow upon these lands. The greater part of the folk of Erebor remain, but simply bar the gates. From there, they see the Second Burning of Dale. But not, this time, by any wyrmfire.

Sauron must laugh at our disunity, and his triumph. Dale lies burnt, Erebor's gates are barred, and plumes of dark smoke begin to cover all the land even unto the north. For Sauron has triumped where none did before him. Once he laid Numenor low with pride and deceit; now he lays their successors low with force of arms. Minas Tirith is taken, and Gondor's shattered armies flee west.

I take the long road home, fearing to tread in Mirkwood's eaves. For not even the elves could, in the end, defeat the evil of Dol Guldur. One of the Nine, Khamul the Easterling, now corrupts the once fair halls of Thranduil.

Our host returns home with no songs nor drums to hearten the march. The Free Peoples of Middle-Earth are sorely hurt; and I know there is worse to come. Dain returns to Erebor, but there is no trade now to enrich man and dwarf in these lands. The High Pass remains shut to Sauron, but as I arise to see smoke coming from the south, I know this may not remain true for much longer. Lorien burns, and the orcs have seized all south of the Gladden. And now, Belnardu the Impaler, who butchered the elves of the woodswitch Galadriel, marches on Khalah-dum, intent on our destruction...

BgKnight
George R. R. Martin in space and with less talent

Postby BgKnight » 13:20:38 Thursday, 30 July, 2015

Excellent work! Moar

Return to “Creative Writing”