Rin's Recreational Writing Repository

Write creatively!
RinKou
Jackbooted Swinelicker Fascist

Rin's Recreational Writing Repository

Post by RinKou » 20:21:22 Friday, 12 April, 2013

Just kidding, this is all professional work.

I'm using this opening post as a portfolio page, quick-linking to some of my better stuff. What do you guys want to see here, though, for the rest of it? Sketches and doodles? Full-formed work? A development sandbox? Questions and/or comments welcome, criticism (especially on newer pieces) actively encouraged.

Daily Deviations:
"Charlie" (awarded March 8, 2013) - a hitman's quiet cadenced monologue. It's a sketch.
"MANIC PIXIE DREAM GIRL" (awarded August 24, 2012) - an awkward conversation.
"So Much Beauty in Dirt" (awarded August 9, 2011) - Chinese coal miners discover a portal to hell. It does not go well. For Hell.
"Dan Kim's Schrankgeist" (awarded May 14, 2009) - a closet-ghost and her time at a ghost-shelter.
"I Will Fight You" (awarded August 20, 2008) - absurdist microfic about organ stealing and illegal underground boxing rings.

Published Work:
"The CN Tower Belongs to the Dead" (Eunoia Review, March 2nd, 2012) - two kids talk about zombies, growing up, and Canada. Based on That Damn Canadian's zombieRP Passau

(You can see the breaks in dates happen when I start getting lazy and stop writing.)

I'll be updating this portfolio page over time too. What do you guys want to see on here? Lead-ins to some of my different styles? Fits and starts and sometimes progress on my novel(la) projects? Your call! (I actually am just only going to do those, but I list them so it looks like I'm giving you a choice.)

In the meanwhile, links!:
This is my deviantart, where I post most of my finished work. There's also a lot of dated stuff on there if you want to go back that far.
This is my tumblr, where I post a lot of sketches, doodles, and scraps. I also showcase some work, share quotes that make me all giddy, and ramble on too long about shit I love.
Heartache by the Numbers: Caravan Master

If you say that prancing mailman of a GM is ever going to run the gangster game WELL THEN I SAY GOOD DAY SIR -oyid

I write things!
I post things!

BgKnight
George R. R. Martin in space and with less talent

Re: Rin's Recreational Writing Repository

Post by BgKnight » 20:32:14 Friday, 12 April, 2013

I love everything Rin writes and he has promised me Bulgarians appearing in his novel, so I love him even more.

So yeah, everyone read this shit, its awesome-sauce, that is all. :3

Smyg
GETTIN' REAL TIRED OF YOUR MACHIAVELLIAN BULLSHIT, GESAR

Post by Smyg » 20:44:54 Friday, 12 April, 2013

Dammit Rin, stop being so talented. It makes me feel bad. :<
Comrade Astrojildo Pereira Duarte Silva
Secretary-General of the Partido Comunista do Brasil
(PCB)

Coin
Mise, Pangur Bán agus PILOT WHALES

Post by Coin » 12:48:23 Monday, 15 April, 2013

Heh. I enjoyed the Passau-piece in particular.

Well done on getting leave for novel-writing, incidentally. You can expect a purchase from this side of the pond. So long as it's not on an ereader. (Unless it has apps.)
Brazilsim: Horacio de Matos
MG BoP: Israel

Rising Phoenix
Haegemony supporter. Ludd hater

Post by Rising Phoenix » 14:24:42 Monday, 15 April, 2013

This is good stuff. In fact, it made me feel bad for making up stories as random stuff pops up in my head.

TRC
"Molotov's own Jeremy Renner"

Post by TRC » 18:11:49 Monday, 15 April, 2013

/me is overshadowed by talent

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 22:58:30 Wednesday, 17 April, 2013

You should totally write up Covert Action: Moonbeam into a short story or something. And make the dedication to the players |:3

Hell, I'd buy that book.

RinKou

Post by RinKou » 04:46:53 Thursday, 23 May, 2013

So I was thinking that you guys could have first look at a quick sketch of a rough draft of a trailer scene from that novel project.

Everything in the [brackets] is stuff I'm still iffy about. In this case, namely because it fucks with the pacing. Comments on those, or on the piece as a whole are greatly encouraged!
Clunky Intro Exclamation PointShow
"Do you know how many Bulgarians are in this city?"

This was the guy people called the Vulgar Bulgar. Not because he was vulgar, or because he was Bulgarian, even though he was both, but because people around here like coming up with stupid rhyming nicknames for everyone.

[He was the PR guy for the local Bulgarian mob, and overall, the most pleasant of them to talk to. Which wasn't saying much.]

I shrugged.

[Cori and I had met him for lunch down at Mr. Taco because he said we needed to talk somewhere neutral. And also because it was Sunday and Sunday was menudo day.]

"Five thousand." He said. He emphasized that "thou" like it was a huge number. "Five thousand Bulgarians."

He turned that number over a couple times in his mouth, like he was really proud of it. Or maybe he was just trying to get the last bits of meat off his pig foot.

"And do you know how many of these are brothers?" He spit a hunk of bone into his napkin.

I shrugged again. I was assuming he meant "Brothers", with a capital B. As in the [Thunder] Brotherhood, the third-rate Bulgarian mafia that set up shop in town [– after being run out of New York, Boston, and Chicago. The Brothers imported mail-order brides – which would have been a fairly good market, if they weren't lagging far behind their Russian and Ukranian competitors.]

If he meant actual siblings, I dunno. All of them? How many male Bulgarian only children were there in LA?

"T-" he caught himself. "Ah-hah! You almost got me to spill the secret! You fuckers!"

He wagged his finger at me, like he was onto my game. I didn't even know we were playing.

"Anyway, many of the Bulgarians are Brothers" he said. "And one of the men you hit, he was, how you say it, a friend. Of an affiliate. Of the Brothers."

"So we hit a Brother." I nodded. That could be bad.

"No, no, you are not listening," the Vulgar Bulgar said. "He was a friend. Of a sort."

Cori stepped in. "Hey, we hit a lot of guys. Shit happens."

"No. No, no," the Bulgar said. "You are still not listening, fucking face."

That reminded me of my plans for tonight.

"You," he made an invisible dome with his hands in our direction, "Did not hit a friend."

"You," he made a visible point with his finger at me. "Did hit a friend."

"But I've only hit one guy so far," I spit out, like that was an excuse. In case, "Hey, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to start a gang war or anything. It was my first day." was going to work.

"Really?" he asked. "Wow, that's really bad luck."

"How do you even know it was us anyway?" Cori broke in again. "It could have been anyone. Lots of things happen in this town."

"He has frequent flying miles at Mr. Hoang's bar," the Bulgar shrugged. "He knows what you look like."

He gave me a knowing nod with that second line. The kind of nod that says, "Sorry, man, you're kinda fucked."

Five-thousand Bulgarians out of four million Angelinos, only t- of whom were mafia, and I manage to jump the only one who was also a loyal customer.

Fucking face.
Here's some more of that novel-in-progress, Bang! (Under the working title Walks Into a Bar)

I've actually got the final part of that four-piece intro preview completed, I just haven't uploaded it yet for some reason :V I'll tell you guys when I do if you liked this/those.

=

@Bg: <3 You're a source now. Your Bulgaria info better be accurate :3
@Smyg: You're hella talented, man, don't do that shit. I can't read Viking, but your poetry looks like it's great :>
@Coin: The Passau-piece is one of my personal favorites too :> Thanks for the vote of confidence!
@RP: Every story is stuff you make up from random stuff that pops into your head!
@TRC: If something's your passion, you follow it no matter what anybody says.
@Huo: Hahah, probably not Moonbeam, but I have a novella-in-progress that's something along those lines that I'd release as a secret EP sometime.

If you say that prancing mailman of a GM is ever going to run the gangster game WELL THEN I SAY GOOD DAY SIR -oyid

I write things!
I post things!

RinKou

Post by RinKou » 17:30:16 Wednesday, 19 March, 2014

I uh, was doing some stupid survey shit that asked me to write about my day. I should like, just do shit like this more often, just write without caring how good it is. Without like, caring about structure or whatever. Free write. Shit like that.

Anyway, I kinda thought it was cool.
SpoilerShow
Well, no one works quite as hard as when they're unemployed, right?

Up at 8, made coffee. Yirgacheffe. Don't think I cleaned the pot too well, since the second cup smelled like bacon. Whatever, though, I'm tired as fuck.

Anyway, my first three hours, I write copy freelance. Made lunch. Roast beef and havarti on sourdough. Lots of mayo. I've really grown to appreciate mayo recently, and I'm not sure why. Probably because it goes with everything.

Then it's website planning. The idea's a location blog. People fucking love location blogs. Publishers love location blogs. Names, initial lists and vague structure planning, did deeper research on my webhost and figured out they're kinda shady, so I gotta find a new one today.

Checked the fiction I sent off to magazines. Still no reply from Corvus, but whatever, they're kinda slow. I got two more markets I want to hit up really soon, but haven't yet. Should get on those today.

Then I took a break. The middle of the day is break time, since I'm always sleepiest then. Played Just Cause 2. No real reason. Wasn't even in the mood for video games, but it's a good tension breaker. Anyway, after that, read Before Dawn and the End of the World.

My fiance said it had a similar thread to one of the projects I was working on. Kinda did. Great style, but not quite too similar. Real literary, though.

Talked to my fiance for a bit. Her brother was being a judgmental ass. He usually is, but this time was particularly bad.

Anyway, I was on a mission. I got engaged the day before, and was waiting for my parents to get home so I could break the news, only they're late, and I'm kinda anxious here because they were always kinda ambivalent about the relationship, given that my fiance is black and they're a bunch of racist dickbags.

Anyway, they finally get back hella late, and I skipped my workout because I wanted to stay dressed up for this. Because I dress up for work even though it's been, what, three months now since I've set foot in an office? It makes me feel like I should be working. It makes me feel like I'm not a failure. Like I can provide for my future wife.

But that's not the case, obviously. I'm doing these surveys for ashtray money between writing copy.

(They were pretty decent about the news, though.)

Anyway, back to work after that. Worked on that short story collection that my fiance felt Before Dawn had similar tones to. Had a beer. Mission Street Blonde Ale. I'd picked up a variety six-pack a while back, and this was one of the varieties. It sucked, but whatever, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'd rather have something new and shitty than old, tired, and mediocre, you know?

Ended the night talking to my fiance again. Browsed reddit past my bedtime, but only by like, a few minutes. Missed out on more reading. This is why I need to work out during my day, otherwise I get lazy at night. But whatever, I still managed to get some decent sleep.

And that brings us to today. Sorta.

I write things!
I post things!

Return to “Creative Writing”