Re: Crusader Kings 2 Succession Game - Hammers of Burgundaho

Post by Orago » 14:21:14 Wednesday, 19 June, 2013

Well, 500 years of history should keep us entertained for a while. :P

Coin
Mise, Pangur Bán agus PILOT WHALES

Post by Coin » 14:47:34 Wednesday, 19 June, 2013

Smyg wrote:
Gesar wrote:Burgundaholm is a shitty name.
It really is, and it feels distinctly faux-Scandinavian. :(
It's the most historical one, according to the wiki. However there is Borghund as well?
Brazilsim: Horacio de Matos
MG BoP: Israel

Smyg
GETTIN' REAL TIRED OF YOUR MACHIAVELLIAN BULLSHIT, GESAR

Post by Smyg » 14:57:06 Wednesday, 19 June, 2013

Coinneach wrote:
Smyg wrote:
Gesar wrote:Burgundaholm is a shitty name.
It really is, and it feels distinctly faux-Scandinavian. :(
It's the most historical one, according to the wiki. However there is Borghund as well?
Incorrect.

Burgundaholmr.
Comrade Astrojildo Pereira Duarte Silva
Secretary-General of the Partido Comunista do Brasil
(PCB)

Coin

Post by Coin » 16:28:34 Sunday, 23 June, 2013

The Reign of Holmger the First

The year is 867. The Great Heathen Army continues to rampage around England, while the Magyars come in from the east to conquer all in their wake. The Christian world is weak and divided, and the strong take what they can. And it is in this climate, that I, Holmger of Burgundaholmr, have taken power in my own land after the old lord died tragically on a raid. My line shall bed known as that of the Hammers of Bornholm, so we took a white axe on red as our emblem. Obviously. Rumours of hammers and axes in the succession from the old king have been grossly exaggerated. Some of his kinsmen thought to continue his line, yet, well, they've been... dealt with.

The isle of Bornholm is in a rather unusual situation, but weak and has very little manpower. From our fortress of Hammerhus, opportunities are everywhere. To the south, the Slavs compete with the Christians, while in the east, the Baltic is a mish-mash of lordships. Our kin rule many of the Slavs further east still, and make war on other tribes.

Our liege, Sigurd Snake in the Eye, rules all Sjaelland, though many expect him to join his brothers in their wars across Britain.

I get to sending my trusty band of advisors across the realm. Most notably, old Anlaufr gets to looking for some songs with the words "Hammer" and "rightful ruler of Jylland" in them.

Just as I'm about to think of how to expand my realm in the immediate term, I get a messenger.

Unhappy at being called wretched, and having other things in mind, I resign my post as regent and spymaster of the realm. That grubby little wretch is less important than spending my time plotting to become a King.

And plotting to have more Kings after me.

A little raiding later, and our treasury is looking better. Though my first wife dying puts a bit of a damper on it, I decide a crown will help that along. Since Denmark is divided between my liege lord (whose deposition would result only in another son of Ragnar getting the throne) and Jylland (too powerful), I look northwards, to Smáland. Since our own levy is too small, I hire some Lapps. Definitely not because they're the cheapest mercenaries out there.

The war goes well, but as King Bagsecg the Fowler of Jylland invades Sjaelland, time is of the essence, as his uniting Denmark would be sub-optimal. So I decide to gather together a few fellows to kill him.

Victory is pretty quickly mine, as their armies were caught unawares by the Lappish mercenaries.

This leaves us independent of Sjaelland, and right on cue with our victory, I have a son named Gorm. While it's a shame he has no brothers to play with, they'd only fight over everything when I'm gone. Speaking of, er, going...

"King" Bagsecg finds himself being tested out as a pincushion. It's a roaring success, and his young son Frirek takes the throne of Jylland. This leaves Sjaelland open to our own war, having been weakened by the armies of Bagsecg - far larger than any I could muster. Mercenaries - funded once more by a looting of German and English lands - set off, and the war should be easily won.

What could possibly go wro-

Unbidden and very unneighbourly, King Bjorn Ironside - de facto King of Sweden - decides now is the time to take Bláland, after I've weakened myself assaulting Sjealland's holdings. With Sjaelland's armies defeated, and a far larger Swedish army soon to arrive, I decide that offence is the best form of defence. If we can get his armies before he can muster them into one great host, we might just stand a chance. As it stands, he wouldn't even accept my surrender, so I get the feeling he wants blood. Which isn't ideal. I board the ships, leaving the siege of Sjaelland's capital for another day.

A few scattered battles see the Swedes on the run - just, but at a heavy cost. Our Bulgar mercenaries, despite being rather vulgar even compared to the Swedes, prove their mettle in battle.

We have them on the run by later in the year, after a hard summer's campaign. I suffer a severe maiming in battle, but soldier on regardless. My lost hand gives me some pain, but it's probably nothing.

Finally, events turn against the Swedes when Bjorn Ironside is murdered by his rival, the King of Jorvik. Several months later, their army crushed and driven to Oland, a white peace between Smáland and his son, Eirikr, is signed, and we can turn our attention - at last - to once more taking Sjaelland. I personally lead the troops back south, destroying some ragtag Sjaelland opposition, and by August 875, we are at the head of a promising siege of Ringsted, where the young Knud's court hides behind his walls. It's then I realise that my hand hasn't actually stopped hurting since last summer, and beneath my armour, the pain spreads...

Edit: Savefile here: http://www.speedyshare.com/Xz8vT/Succession-Game.rar

Orago
I Am that Is

Post by Orago » 18:58:02 Sunday, 23 June, 2013

Poor Holmger Hammer, he was so young. :(

Nice read, Coin. Looking forward to Huojin carrying on the war against Sjaelland :D

Serenissima
England Expects Every Man Will Do His Duty

Post by Serenissima » 19:41:19 Sunday, 23 June, 2013

I'll do a turn someday, if you want.
"Imagine lies, and then write them down in order. That is literally all authors do!"

Serenissima's WW2 BoP: The GM (obviously)
Metal Gear BoP: Japan
Brazil: Luís Carlos Prestes, the Knight of Hope

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 20:44:15 Sunday, 23 June, 2013

I don't see an issue with Seren playing too, assuming I don't balls everything up and extinguish our line. Still! I have two sisters, so if all goes horrendously, we should have two shots there.

I'll get to work on things and hopefully get an update out soon. I might break mine up more though, so it's not one update for my whole reign.

CWestfall
MEANWHILE, IN NORWAY...

Post by CWestfall » 21:46:11 Sunday, 23 June, 2013

Wait, you're brining your siblings into your strategic succession game that you play with people on an internet forum? When did you come out of the nerd-closet to your family?
<KimIlSmyg> Congratulations Labine
<KimIlSmyg> You're in my signature.

Langben
What time is it?

Post by Langben » 03:27:58 Monday, 24 June, 2013

CWestfall wrote:Wait, you're brining your siblings into your strategic succession game that you play with people on an internet forum? When did you come out of the nerd-closet to your family?

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 12:55:42 Monday, 24 June, 2013

Reign of King Gorm I - Part OneShow
The Reign of Gorm the First (Part One)
I was playing with my twin sister Rikissa and our half-sister Skuld when some man with a skull on his head came into the room and said something to Mother. She started crying, and told my sisters and I that Father had been died whilst off fighting some men. At that the man with a skull on his head knelt in front of me and handed me an axe I remembered Father carrying. It was always small in his hands, but I could barely hold it. Then he called me the King and said he was my "ree-jent". Whatever that means.
Mother says he'll take care of the Kingdom until I'm ready to take over. In the meantime I get to play with these stamps and seals and stuff, and all sorts of old men with beards have to come and kneel to me and call me "Your Majesty", which is pretty funny.

Bo (he's the sheep-head man, but Mother says I must call him the Seer or just Bo. I still like "sheep-head man" better.) says the first thing to do is to punish the Sjaellanders, since they're the ones we're still at war with and my Father was fighting them when he died. They say Father won every battle, which means we're winning, which sounds like a good thing to me. I don't think I'd like to lose. It doesn't sound like much fun.

Still, Bo insists I stamp some papers to make sure we keep winning, so I get right on that. Stamping things is fun.
The sheep-head man tells me that the war is going slowly in the capital of the Sjaellanders, but that once they lose their capital, it'll be a lot easier. That sounds good to me. The Jyllanders are also having a war to decide who should be in charge there. Sheep-head man says that if they're still fighting or still weak when our war is done, maybe we can fight them too.
In the mean time, we decide we should send my "Chan-sell-or" to talk to King Eirikr of Sviþjod next door so that we can be friends.
Finally, after waiting a long time, we capture lots of their cities and places. Bo says this is very good news, and that we are closer to avenging my father now. Bo says that when this war is done, we must raise a runestone to the memory of my father and the great deeds he did.
On of the prisoners taken by my father is complaining about his cell. Sheep-head tells me he's just a lowborn nobody, so I can do what I like with him. I decide I don't like the man very much, and put him in one of those dungeons where the only door is high up in the ceiling. Sheep-head says it's called an "oob-lee-et".
Mother brings me news from a strange land to the south. Apparently they're Greeks but they think they're Romans. Oh, I learnt about Romans too. But anyways, their king (who calls himself an Emperor) has hired a bunch of Norsemen to protect him and fight for him. Mother says that our people are brave warriors and I must be a great example of this as the King.
Mother also tells me it is time Rikissa and I were appointed proper tutors. I think a King should be a great warrior, like my Father, so I decided that my Marshal, the bravest man and best commander in the Kingdom (since Father died, obviously), should teach me. I send Rikissa to study with some woman in the court who is very good at learning and managing things. Maybe she'll also be a good managing person.
Finally, after lots of fighting, the army captures a whole bunch more cities and the King of Sjaelland sends me a message saying he doesn't want to be King any more and that I can instead. That sounds good to me, so I say alright.
Now that the war is done, Bo says we should send the Bulgarian mercenaries home and send our armies off raiding to get more money. This sounds like a good idea to me so I tell them that they can go, but next time I want to come too!
Bragi, my guardian and Marshal, tells me that I shouldn't tell lies. I'm always so honest now. It's less fun that lying all the time, but Bragi and Sheephead say I should tell the truth.
My chancellor also finally gets King Eirikr to like me more, despite fooling around and convincing his priests and barons that they shouldn't like me through his incompetence. Still, better late than never, Bragi always says to me.
... or not, given that just as some of our raiders return home with their gold and loot from France, Eirikr declares war to seize the county of Alfheim. Bragi says it's a good thing the raiders returned when they did, so we have more men but crucially gold, in order to fight off Eirikr's men. Bragi says since we have lots of money from the raids, we should hire the Lithuanians, who have lots of men to help us fight off the enemy.
We fight four big battles against the enemy, including one reaaally big one that we manage to win, and then we capture the Chief of Helsingland! When the war is over, Sheep-head says we can make him pay us to set him free, which will help us get back some money so we can conquer King Eirikr! Kettilmund my steward though says the mercenaries are really expensive and we should offer Eirikr a white peace so that he's embarassed and we can dismiss them, since we won't get anything from this war anyway. Even though Sheephead disagrees, Bragi says it sounds like a good idea so I use some more sealing wax and stop the war for now - until we have enough money to punish them properly, that is.

I meant to post this last night, but imgur was dicking about and it was late so I gave up and went to sleep. So here we are, part one! King Gorm is now eight years old (four at turn-start), so as his life progresses, his narrative will move steadily from being a child to a teenager to an adult to a crotchety old man.

Right now, our war with the Swedes is over, and we're close to being able to form the Kingdom of Denmark. As such, we need lots of money, so feel free to post suggestions for where we send our raiders. Top targets include:

France
Holland
The remaining non-Norse bits of England
Ireland
Christian Spain
Muslim Spain

Although to be honest, anywhere will do, just as long as we can fill up our ships with gold and loot >:3
Last edited by Huojin on 23:49:43 Monday, 24 June, 2013, edited 3 times in total.

Coin

Post by Coin » 13:16:28 Monday, 24 June, 2013

Poor old Holmger would be proud of his son :3 Excellence on the lack of plotting by your vassals as well, thus far anyway. For gold, I'd recommend my own usual tour of duty - down along the Danish coast to East Francia, looting bits of the Netherlands as well, and then along the English channel to Kent and French lands, before sailing into Paris if possible and looting that. Then, depending on how many men you have, and how much gold you've gathered, you can contemplate Britanny/Ireland/Wales depending on how chaotic they are, and actually besieging some of those strongholds, to capture ransomable fellows and future concubines for Gorm :3

I didn't bother to sail too far south towards Spain, but since your army will be nice and big, that might be a plan.

Orago
I Am that Is

Post by Orago » 16:08:46 Monday, 24 June, 2013

Awesome succession game so far. Will be nice once we can form the Kingdom of Denmark. Told you guys Bornholm is a good choice. :P

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 23:48:13 Monday, 24 June, 2013

The Reign of King Gorm I - Part TwoShow
The Reign of Gorm the First (Part Two)
After our very expensive wars, Bragi and I decide that it's time to send the raiders out again, so they go raiding all over the northern coast of Pomerania and places like that. Bragi says we should keep our men close to home until some mercenaries are available to hire to defend us at home if our raiders are far away, which sounds like a good idea to me.
I've been going into the kitchen a lot to eat biscuits and sweets. Bo says I shouldn't do that because I must be a healthy, fit warrior as well as a king, but Bragi doesn't seem to mind, so I keep doing it.
Meanwhile our raids are now raiding into Greater Moravia and other places in land by using the rivers. We Norse are so clever, all the other people of Europe are stuck on land like trees but we are like driftwood and move where the waves will take us. Bragi says that is why we are the greatest warriors - the sea shapes and strengthens us, and our enemies never see us coming until we are already amongst them.

Back in Bornholm, I decide to ransom a mayor my father captured in a war against the Swedes. We don't get very much, but something is better than nothing, and when the raiders return they'll bring lots more.
Unfortunately the Jyllanders have declared war on us to try and conquer my kingdom. Bragi says that we can win the war, but we need to get the raiders back quickly so their loot can pay for mercenaries to let us kill the Jyllanders.
The fighting goes really well and we win all the battles and even kill some enemy chiefs, which Bragi says is very good news. One of our chiefs dies, but Bragi also says that the best death a Norseman can wish for is a death in battle. I asked whether Father had a lesser death then, but Bragi says that King Holmger (he always calls Father that...) died from a wound he took in battle, which is an honourable death, and that my Father now feasts in Valhalla with the gods, which sounds good to me.
I've decided that I'm charitable though, since giving is very chivalrous and honourable. Bo says that a king must be open-handed to his leal servants but also relentless to his enemies. This sounds like good advice, but the war against the Jyllanders is very taxing on the treasury, so I take Bragi's advice and give them a white peace like we did with the Swedes.
Now that the war is over, we send our men back out to raid the Pagans and Christians of Europe so that we can earn gold for more conquest! In one particularly close raid, it is reported that we nearly took the Greater Moravian city of Krakow, a holding of the Queen of Greater Moravia herself! However my brave men were pursued too closely by a large army, and were forced to withdraw. Bragi says that part of being a good king and a good leader is knowing when to stand and fight and when to look for other opportunities, more favourable to you, where you can win. Instead we settle for looting a castle just across the River Vistula, Czersk.
My half-sister Skuld has finally come of age. She ended up being a "Scholarly Theologian", well versed in the study of the gods, a patient and humble person, if deceitful and lazy. She is the heir to the kingdom if anything should happen to me, but I'm nearly a man full-grown now, with only four years until I can marry and finally lead my men into glorious battle!
All the people that come and go from the castle are very strange though. I don't like hanging around them. I'd rather just be training with Bragi... He says I should marry my sister to someone though, so that we can build our alliances and strengthen our family. I choose the son of the Norse King of Holmgarðr, the heir to some of his holdings. It's a matrilineal betrothal though, so that if they get married, their children are of our house.
Bo says that I'm shaping up to be a good king. They say a good king is always diligent and careful to ensure his actions are the correct one. Bragi doesn't think it's as important though, so mostly I just sit around in the castle. Bo says that I should have a new teacher, so he sends me to my vassal Chief Frirek instead.
The raiding goes well, and the longships return full of loot and gold, all ready to help us forge a new Norse kingdom! However we also see that the hated Jyllanders are waging a war for Zeeland, and their armies will be away from their lands. Soon we will have an opportunity to strike back at them and capture their lands, but we must be aware of their war and troop movements. My raiders sail westwards to raid the Dutch and Germans whilst keeping an eye on Jyllander movements.
In a daring strike straight at the capital of Jylland, we manage to capture the children of the King, his two daughters and his son and heir! The triumphant act brings us to the edge of victory, and leaves the Jyllanders dazed and well and truly on the back foot. Their victory at Zeeland means little and less if their prince dies!
Finally, in the midst of our war, I have been deemed of age (along with my twin). My regency is at an end, and our days of glory begin to dawn. One of my first acts is to arrange my marriage to the daughter of the King of Ostlandet (and his heir), so that in the years to come our sons shall inherit a great kingdom. However things have rapidly become more complicated, and we must make a decision - join my father-in-law's wars and expand his kingdom so that my wife inherits vast lands for our sons, or focus solely on our wars and leave him to his fate?
So, advice/getting involved time, people!

Our present war score in the 2nd Smalander Subjugation of Denmark is 61% in our favour. We're well on our way to conquering their Danish provinces, plus we have all the children of the King of Jylland captive. Their army is present besieging one of our counties in mainland Scandinavia.

The Ostlander Subjugation of Sweden has only just begun, the warscore is still 0%. Our intervention (which would requiring the hiring of mercenaries which we can presently afford due to having 205 gold) would probably tip the war in their favour and allow them to conquer Sweden, as well as winning our war more quickly, but at the cost of depleting our treasury.

I also wouldn't trust the AI not to murderize us once they've conquered Sweden, son-in-law or not. And it'll postpone our adoption of the title of King of Denmark for a while. But assuming Gorm outlives his father, we'll get it eventually.

So! To war or not to war?

OYID
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post by OYID » 00:53:04 Tuesday, 25 June, 2013

War!
1968 Aliens!: US of A.

Coin

Post by Coin » 08:32:41 Tuesday, 25 June, 2013

Finish Jylland first, I say. That way you'll avoid a war on two fronts, have increased prestige, and not have to worry about Fairhair not liking us, since he'll like us again when you do join the war. How big are Harald Fairhair's lands at the moment?

Excellent update. Holmger is proud :3

Edit: Worth testing quickly if you can join a war you've refused a call to arms for, though, just in a test game?

Return to “Creative Writing”