Crusader Kings 2 Succession Game - Hammers of Burgundaholmr

Write creatively!
Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Crusader Kings 2 Succession Game - Hammers of Burgundaho

Post by Huojin » 11:20:31 Tuesday, 25 June, 2013

Daddy-in-law clearly has a pretty huge kingdom. And he's attempting to conquer another huge kingdom, but one we've totally beaten before. So that'll be interesting.

And yes, we can offer to join wars after we've refused. The main issue with the mercenaries is that the cheapest band not under contract already is something like 135 gold, which is a big chunk of our reserves.

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 15:48:38 Wednesday, 26 June, 2013

Reign of King Gorm I - Part ThreeShow
The Reign of Gorm the First (Part Three)
Fairhair, my father-in-law, will have to survive without our support for the nonce. We have our own wars to win and our own kingdom to protect before providing for the expansion of his, even if my wife will inherit it and our descendants after her.
The war wages onward. We complete our conquest of Jylland county, but their armies besiege our own territories. Only our possession of the heir to the Kingdom of Jylland maintains our present victory. And, of course, our overflowing coffers. They are bolstered further when we collected the Royal Aid duty after my half-sister Skuld marries her betrothed and heir to a county in Rus. In time, our dynasty will spread far and wide.
In devastating news, my twin sister Rikissa is found dead after a strange accident. Many play it off as just a cruel twist of fate, but there is some darker thing at work here, I am certain... Though my spymaster has uncovered little and less...
Having finally accumulated enough gold to pay his ransom, I finally release the captive chieftain my Father captured, for the princely sum of 70 gold - money that will pay for greater conquests and the foundation of vast kingdoms.
My father-in-law has won his great conquest without my aid, much to my shame. There was great glory to be had against those hordes of Swedes, but we had our own wars to fight. Still, ours too now draw towards their close, with my enemy soon to be vanquished and relegated to some pitiful lands in Holland and England. At my hand, the work of my father will be completed, and the House of Jute fall, never to rise again.
Meanwhile my half-sister and her husband bear their first son, Haraldr. A worthy name, though the boy is unremarkable. I may take his tutorship into mine own hands, to spare him the heathen ways of his father. King Rurik, despite adhering to our gods, appears to have let his sons take the gods of the pitiful fools he has conquered. I pity him, for mine own offspring shall always swear allegiance to our gods.
The time to end our lengthy war is at hand. After occupying near-all of Jylland's lands save those too far afield, we hire some desperate mercenaries and put a swift end to this conflict. Denmark will brook only one king.
Now that the war is over and I am a true king, I ransom the daughters of Frirek back to him. The price of his family will pay for his own conquest. Our royal authority in my lands is also raised. No longer will my vassal chieftains raid freely or fight amongst themselves - all will pay homage and do the
work of the King.
The reformation of the Norse faith is tantalisingly close, but whilst I hold two holy sites and the Swedes hold two more, one King must hold three, and I cannot make war on my father-in-law. The only option remaining is the conquest of the final site from the House of Karling that rules East Francia. And to do that, we must have vast armies, greater than any assembled by the Norse realm thus far. We must have gold. And so, raiding is back on the agenda. My raiding reputation grows fierce indeed, and soon mothers, not only in Europe, but in all the world, will tell their children of the fearsome King Gorm, that great King from the north who kills all he faces!
After much waiting (and, well, you know...), my wife finally tells me she is pregnant! I feel certain it will be a son, a noble warrior who will inherit and expand my kingdom and continue my legacy, and that of my father before me!
My joy is spoiled, however, when my vassals gather to demand I lower the crown authority in Denmark. Although I have no time for wars now, the thought of kneeling to these imbeciles is too great to bear. I am the king, they will do as I demand. Our raiders return from abroard, but for now the rebel lords remain silent.
Whilst waiting (and pillaging) to see if my despicable vassals rebel against me, joyous news reaches me in field - my wife has given birth. Though admittedly, to a daughter, barring the birth of a son she will be the uniter of two great kingdoms and the Norse world.
My vassals finally choose their moment and revolt again, though this time, with the aid of my father-in-law, the King of Sweden, I begin to repulse them with ease. My wife also announces she is pregnant again - I pray to Freyr for a son this time, a king to unite the Norse world.
The Chief of Shrewbury, a distant outpost of my realm, takes this opportunity to declare independence as well. With all this war, I have perhaps taken to eating a little more than I should... Apparently some call me Gorm the Fat, though none dare say it to my face.
Realising they have no hope of victory (despite a warscore of only 69%), the rebels choose to surrender themselves to my mercy. Defeated, I imprison their leaders and revoke their lands. I will tolerate no traitors in my lands any longer. My lords will recognise me as their true liege lord or suffer the consequences.
Finally, the greatest news to grace our kingdom has finally broken - a son is born to Gorm in the line of Holmger, that first King of House Hammer! I have named him Holmger, after my Father, taken before his time. His namesake will do great justice to his memory!
After much struggle and long distances covered, the war against the rebelling Chief of Shrewsbury in England was won, the traitor imprisoned and his holdings taken from him. When the time is right, they will be bestowed upon more deserving men. And perhaps from this point in Shrewsbury, I can carry out a conquest of England to rival that of the Great Viking Army that avenged old Ragnarr Lodbrok.
Just for reference, King Gorm is 25 years old now, so he's been on the throne for 21 years. My present plans involve pillaging, strengthening and preparation so that I can wage war against East Francia to recapture the last Norse holy site not in our hands and reform the Norse faith and ditch Gavelkind. We'll see whether we achieve that though, it's been a tough few years.

Coin
Mise, Pangur Bán agus PILOT WHALES

Post by Coin » 11:30:03 Thursday, 27 June, 2013

You've gotten such a long go compared to me :V

But awesome. I remain opposed to the Norse reformation on accuracy grounds, but then again, this is a game where you regularly see the Norse conquering the indestructable fortress and all-round superpower of Scotland :3 How is the rest of the world looking now?

Coin
Mise, Pangur Bán agus PILOT WHALES

Post by Coin » 13:29:21 Tuesday, 09 July, 2013

Any progress? :(

Orago
I Am that Is

Post by Orago » 01:55:38 Wednesday, 10 July, 2013

Yeah, I await my turn. :)

Serenissima
England Expects Every Man Will Do His Duty

Post by Serenissima » 04:37:40 Wednesday, 10 July, 2013

I want to play someday, as noted. :(
"Imagine lies, and then write them down in order. That is literally all authors do!"

Metal Gear BoP: Japan
Saenwyn: Jace Kern, Duke of Tailledun
1800: Britain
1968A: Filthy Neutral Switzerland

Orago
I Am that Is

Post by Orago » 06:04:23 Monday, 15 July, 2013

This shit was actually pretty cool. Was eagerly awaiting reading more of Huojin's turn, then doing some stuff when I took the throne, but I guess that is not going to happen now. :(

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 09:16:36 Monday, 15 July, 2013

I'm working on it, dammit. Gorm is really young though, so it's taking a long time.

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 09:39:17 Tuesday, 17 September, 2013

Coinneach decided to bug me about this so here we are :P.

If anyone wants the save from where I left off after the last AAR, I can post it and let you guys continue. I'll try to figure out which one corresponds to where I last posted, since the most recent save would be for somepoint along the fourth chapter that I was writing and have no intentions of finishing because holy fuck this takes up time.

Return to “Creative Writing”