UNGA: Condemnation of remilitarisation in Europe

Discussion of and voting on pressing world matters.
Post Reply
Huojin
General Secretary
General Secretary
Posts: 3287
Joined: 07:30:29 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

UNGA: Condemnation of remilitarisation in Europe

Post by Huojin » 21:53:21 Monday, 03 October, 2016

Image

Republic of India
Ladies and gentlemen of the General Assembly, around the world people have looked on at the present situation in Europe with apprehension. Whilst the crimes of the former US President cannot be denied, and the international situation is, in many ways, more uncertain than it has been at any time since the end of the Cold War, such militarism threatens to overturn decades of peace-building and harmony between nations.

Twice before the continent of Europe has cast the rest of the world into war and bloodshed. And while the people of Europe have long since learned that prosperity and friendly relations lie down the path of peace, it appears that in some quarters, their leaders remain unconvinced. The growing trend of military escalation and expansive military development pose a threat not only the peace in Europe, but around the world.

While we are not, of course, suggesting that a Third World War is in the offing, small-scale conflicts between nations remain an ever-present threat - one which we ought not to discount. Further, with nations such as the United States and the Russian Federation setting strong positive examples in Europe with regards to demilitarisation and an de-escalation of tensions, we are left to wonder at what precisely the purpose of this national bravado is?

Peace in Europe has been secure for more than fifty years. Let not the international community stand by yet again and ignore the warning signs of conflict. We therefore urge our fellow member states of the United Nations to enact the following resolution, condemning this resolution. Though merely indicative of a position commonly held by the member nations, we believe it to be a necessary initial step to reining in this situation, and guaranteeing a lasting prosperity.
The General Assembly,

Recognising the dangers of re-militarisation and arms races between nations that necessarily ensue,

Gravely concerned that such present trends in Europe pose a threat to regional and global peace and security,

Recognising that such a growth of national arming in the present global climate jeopardises the closely-guarded stability and harmony between nations,

Aware that despite the right to national self-defence, the potential reckless military growth holds for wider chaos requires it be closely observed and kept in check,


1. Condemns the dangerous trend towards national militarism and military expansion in Europe as posing a threat to peaceful relations between nations.

2. Calls upon States to cease their march towards such expansive measures while recognising their right to national-self defence and the importance of the development of new technologies to modernise their forces.

3. Urges States to build upon cordial relations with their neighbours in the interest of prolonging the enduring prosperity and peace that has sprouted in Europe in the aftermath of the Second World War.

User avatar
Useful Dave
Hoxhaist
Hoxhaist
Posts: 35
Joined: 19:19:41 Saturday, 20 August, 2016

Re: UNGA: Condemnation of remilitarisation in Europe

Post by Useful Dave » 22:54:27 Monday, 03 October, 2016

Image
Considering that the primary reason for the state many of the European militaries are in was the fear of a Warsaw Pact/NATO assault upon them should be reason for a partial drawdown - accepting that there will always be the requirements of peacekeeping and foreign support - more than any expansion of forces. At this point, we would have to ask for what reasons the decision to expand European armed forces might be made, while I'm sure there are several reasonable theoretical explanations, they have to be balanced against the potential tipping point of a threat they can build into.

For the first time in decades, two blocs have stepped away from the brink in Europe, we wouldn't wish to create another binary threat situation through an unnecessary build-up escalating into a localised threat for a particular faction, whom might turn to their own military expansion and create a self-perpetuating spiral. This, is something that I'm sure European nations can work out without having to resort to a continual build-up.

User avatar
Tellos
Stalinist
Stalinist
Posts: 308
Joined: 22:24:36 Sunday, 31 March, 2013

Re: UNGA: Condemnation of remilitarisation in Europe

Post by Tellos » 23:19:17 Monday, 03 October, 2016

Image

The Russian Federation is alarmed by the rearming of others as Russia itself draws down total troops numbers to 1 million strong and seeks am ore efficient military able to defend Russia and her allies using less men. Meanwhile others it seems build up to prove what? Let it be known the Russian Federation intends to keep to the goals set down earlier this year by President Putin for the modernization of Russia's military.
United States of America - BOP 1830

United States of America - BOP 1935

Russian Federation - BOP Metal Gear

User avatar
scorpion
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Posts: 1466
Joined: 19:43:14 Friday, 03 August, 2012

Re: UNGA: Condemnation of remilitarisation in Europe

Post by scorpion » 00:42:27 Wednesday, 05 October, 2016

Image
Alexander Lukashenko, President of Belarus
The unjustified militarization of NATO countries is most concerning to Belarus. It is my view that American troops in Poland, serve none other than to provoke Belarus, and Russia. Also, German military expansion is uncalled for, and a preposterous thought after World War 2.

Belarus will respond, in kind, if the trend in NATO countries continues down the road of militarization.
Image
Metal Gear BoP-GM
1936 BoP-Nazi Germany
1971 BoP-France
Klash of Kings-King Stannis Baratheon

Cephal
The Commandant
Posts: 182
Joined: 22:26:56 Friday, 03 August, 2012

Re: UNGA: Condemnation of remilitarisation in Europe

Post by Cephal » 04:34:54 Wednesday, 05 October, 2016

The United States would politely remind Belarus that we withdrew half of our forces and our nuclear weapons from Germany and merely moved the remaining two units to Poland at their request.

That hardly constitutes an American provocation toward either your country or Russia for that matter.
Last edited by Cephal on 18:35:41 Thursday, 06 October, 2016, edited 1 time in total.
France BoP 1968

DutchGuy
Leftose Intolerant
Posts: 195
Joined: 22:26:55 Wednesday, 10 August, 2016

Re: UNGA: Condemnation of remilitarisation in Europe

Post by DutchGuy » 18:12:51 Wednesday, 05 October, 2016

scorpion wrote:
Image
Alexander Lukashenko, President of Belarus
The unjustified militarization of NATO countries is most concerning to Belarus. It is my view that American troops in Poland, serve none other than to provoke Belarus, and Russia. Also, German military expansion is uncalled for, and a preposterous thought after World War 2.

Belarus will respond, in kind, if the trend in NATO countries continues down the road of militarization.
The German government has ordered a military expansion to be once more able to defend its own borders and end an American presence in Germany. The German army before the reforms had been very small for a nation its size and wealth, and in this time, we wish to be able to take a central role in the defense of europe from foreign threats, as to take over that role from the American army.
The Republic of Turkey in scorpion's Metal Gear BoP 2006
The Kingdom of Hungary in Serenissima's 1936 BoP

Huojin
General Secretary
General Secretary
Posts: 3287
Joined: 07:30:29 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

Re: UNGA: Condemnation of remilitarisation in Europe

Post by Huojin » 18:54:24 Wednesday, 05 October, 2016

Image

Republic of India
We are deeply troubled to hear of these so-called threats to peace in Europe you speak of. Surely they must be subtly masked, that even the great nations of the United States and Russia are blind to their impending doom - opting to demilitarise rather than re-arm. If the continent of Europe is indeed in grave danger, we bid the German delegate to tell us all they know.

If, however, this is not the case, then the nations of the world can only look upon such re-armament as a wanton stoking of nationalism and militarism that echoes dangerously for Europe. The Cold War is over, sir - and the era of infighting between the nations of Europe long-since concluded. We urge that nothing be done to return to such a state of affairs, and applaud of fellows in Australia, Russia, Belarus, the United States, and beyond, in their sensible attitudes towards de-escalation.

DutchGuy
Leftose Intolerant
Posts: 195
Joined: 22:26:55 Wednesday, 10 August, 2016

Re: UNGA: Condemnation of remilitarisation in Europe

Post by DutchGuy » 19:03:01 Wednesday, 05 October, 2016

Huojin wrote:
Image

Republic of India
We are deeply troubled to hear of these so-called threats to peace in Europe you speak of. Surely they must be subtly masked, that even the great nations of the United States and Russia are blind to their impending doom - opting to demilitarise rather than re-arm. If the continent of Europe is indeed in grave danger, we bid the German delegate to tell us all they know.

If, however, this is not the case, then the nations of the world can only look upon such re-armament as a wanton stoking of nationalism and militarism that echoes dangerously for Europe. The Cold War is over, sir - and the era of infighting between the nations of Europe long-since concluded. We urge that nothing be done to return to such a state of affairs, and applaud of fellows in Australia, Russia, Belarus, the United States, and beyond, in their sensible attitudes towards de-escalation.
Image
The Federal Republic of Germany does not see an immediate threat to European security, and merely wishes to replace the task of European defense from an American one, which is a cold war remnant, to an European one. In light of that stance has Germany been steadily rebuilding the army to a proper size fit for a nation that undertakes such a task. Not for nationalistic rhetoric or a renewed Prussian like militarism, but for the defense of the European Union from foreign threats should they emerge.
The Republic of Turkey in scorpion's Metal Gear BoP 2006
The Kingdom of Hungary in Serenissima's 1936 BoP

Huojin
General Secretary
General Secretary
Posts: 3287
Joined: 07:30:29 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

Re: UNGA: Condemnation of remilitarisation in Europe

Post by Huojin » 19:41:59 Wednesday, 05 October, 2016

Image

Republic of India
Germany appears to be at a cross-purpose - seeking to replace a relic of the Cold War with its own outdated brand of militarism. And simultaneously, speaking of common defence amongst the European Union, while also conducting a unilateral re-armament programme outside the auspices of the European Security and Defence Policy.

If national sovereignty is to be respected, surely the task of European defence must belong to all European nations in common - not the emplacement of an enlarged and emboldened Bundeswehr throughout the free nations of Europe. Nor, it would seem, have the nations of Europe expressed their eagerness or acceptance of Germany's newfound intentions to establish its expanded security regime throughout their nations. We are sure that, were we to hear from them, such a prospect would be far from their minds.

User avatar
Tellos
Stalinist
Stalinist
Posts: 308
Joined: 22:24:36 Sunday, 31 March, 2013

Re: UNGA: Condemnation of remilitarisation in Europe

Post by Tellos » 20:56:28 Wednesday, 05 October, 2016

Image

The Russian Federation asks what threat these are too that Germany thinks exist.While modernization makes sense expansion does not. We will note if the German government continues to act aggressively considerations for our own defense must be made while holding to our plan to reduce the overall size of Russia's army.
United States of America - BOP 1830

United States of America - BOP 1935

Russian Federation - BOP Metal Gear

User avatar
Coin
Mise, Pangur Bán agus PILOT WHALES
Posts: 1468
Joined: 14:15:01 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

Re: UNGA: Condemnation of remilitarisation in Europe

Post by Coin » 15:16:14 Thursday, 06 October, 2016

Image
China commends our neighbour India for bringing this issue to the world stage. We urge all countries across the world to refrain from unnecessary remilitarisation, which threatens to cast a shadow over the world so soon after the revelations of Metal Gear REX and Shadow Moses Island. To that end, we would encourage - and be willing to mediate if necessary - discussions between Berlin and Moscow on the matter.

The dangers of arms races are clear from our 20th century - we must not allow these lessons to be forgotten in the 21st.
KR: Unie van Suid-Afrika
MG BoP: Medīnat Yisrā'el
V4: Kormákr Thorbrandsson

User avatar
Luc
Pseudo Extra-Camullectual Intellinaire
Posts: 902
Joined: 10:37:42 Thursday, 11 August, 2016
Location: A meridie in regione Aequatoris

Re: UNGA: Condemnation of remilitarisation in Europe

Post by Luc » 00:10:47 Wednesday, 12 October, 2016

DutchGuy wrote:
Huojin wrote:
Image

Republic of India
We are deeply troubled to hear of these so-called threats to peace in Europe you speak of. Surely they must be subtly masked, that even the great nations of the United States and Russia are blind to their impending doom - opting to demilitarise rather than re-arm. If the continent of Europe is indeed in grave danger, we bid the German delegate to tell us all they know.

If, however, this is not the case, then the nations of the world can only look upon such re-armament as a wanton stoking of nationalism and militarism that echoes dangerously for Europe. The Cold War is over, sir - and the era of infighting between the nations of Europe long-since concluded. We urge that nothing be done to return to such a state of affairs, and applaud of fellows in Australia, Russia, Belarus, the United States, and beyond, in their sensible attitudes towards de-escalation.
Image
The Federal Republic of Germany does not see an immediate threat to European security, and merely wishes to replace the task of European defense from an American one, which is a cold war remnant, to an European one. In light of that stance has Germany been steadily rebuilding the army to a proper size fit for a nation that undertakes such a task. Not for nationalistic rhetoric or a renewed Prussian like militarism, but for the defense of the European Union from foreign threats should they emerge.
Image
HM's Governmnet fully supports the comment made by the German Government. Modern Diplomacy and the learning of past mistakes clearly eliminate any Nationalistic reason for military expansion, but it is a natural effect of growth, as nations expand and grow, for the sake of protection, so do their respective armed forces. Besides, with the growing threat of International Terrorism that was started by the horrendous attacks of September 11, the expansion of internal military activities is nothing short than expected, for the safe being of the population and the continuation of ordinary life for all the civilians of the respective nations.
Image

GM of Kaiserreich: Legacy of the Weltkrieg Balance of Power, Join it Here > viewforum.php?f=360

User avatar
scorpion
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Posts: 1466
Joined: 19:43:14 Friday, 03 August, 2012

Re: UNGA: Condemnation of remilitarisation in Europe

Post by scorpion » 18:09:04 Friday, 14 October, 2016

NPC Votes:

India's Resolution passes 174 to 10.
SpoilerShow
In Favor of Condemnation of re-militarization in Europe:

Afghanistan
Albania
Algeria
Andorra
Angola
Antigua and Barbuda
Argentina
Armenia
Austria
Bahamas
Bahrain
Bangladesh
Barbados
Belarus
Belgium
Belize
Benin
Bhutan
Bolivia
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Botswana
Brazil
Brunei
Bulgaria
Burkina Faso
Burma (Myanmar)
Burundi
Cambodia
Cameroon
Canada
Cape Verde
Central African Republic
Chad
Chile
Colombia
Comoros
Congo, Rep. of
Congo, Dem. Rep. of
Costa Rica
Côte d'Ivoire
Cuba
Cyprus
Denmark
Djibouti
Dominica
Dominican Republic
East Timor
Ecuador
Egypt
El Salvador
Equatorial Guinea
Eritrea
Ethiopia
Fiji
Gabon
Gambia
Georgia
Ghana
Gindra
Greece
Grenada
Guatemala
Guinea
Guinea-Bissau
Guyana
Haiti
Honduras
Hungary
Iceland
Indonesia
Iraq
Ireland
Israel
Italy
Jamaica
Jordan
Kazakhstan
Kenya
Kiribati
Korea, North
Korea, South
Kuwait
Kyrgyzstan
Laos
Lebanon
Lesotho
Liberia
Libya
Liechtenstein
Luxembourg
Macedonia
Madagascar
Malawi
Malaysia
Maldives
Mali
Malta
Marshall Islands
Mauritania
Mauritius
Mexico
Micronesia
Moldova
Monaco
Mongolia
Montenegro
Morocco
Mozambique
Namibia
Nauru
Nepal
Netherlands
New Zealand
Nicaragua
Niger
Nigeria
Norway
Oman
Pakistan
Palau
Panama
Papua New Guinea
Paraguay
Peru
Philippines
Portugal
Qatar
Rwanda
St. Kitts and Nevis
St. Lucia
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Samoa
San Marino
São Tomé and Príncipe
Saudi Arabia
Senegal
Serbia
Seychelles
Sierra Leone
Singapore
Slovakia
Slovenia
Solomon Islands
Somalia
South Africa
Spain
Sri Lanka
Sudan
Suriname
Swaziland
Sweden
Switzerland
Syria
Tajikistan
Tanzania
Thailand
Togo
Tonga
Trinidad and Tobago
Tunisia
Turkey
Turkmenistan
Tuvalu
Uganda
United Arab Emirates
Uruguay
Uzbekistan
Vanuatu
Venezuela
Vietnam
Yemen
Zambia
Zimbabwe


Not in Favor of Condemnation of re-militarization in Europe:
Azerbaijan
Croatia
Czech Republic
Estonia
Finland
Latvia
Lithuania
Ukraine
Poland
Romania
Image
Metal Gear BoP-GM
1936 BoP-Nazi Germany
1971 BoP-France
Klash of Kings-King Stannis Baratheon

Post Reply

Return to “The United Nations”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest