What are you reading? Books & Literature Thread

For off-topic, general discussion. Talk about pretty much anything.
Smyg
GETTIN' REAL TIRED OF YOUR MACHIAVELLIAN BULLSHIT, GESAR

Re: What are you reading? Books & Literature Thread

Post by Smyg » 22:32:37 Friday, 31 July, 2015

Finally gotten an actual book to actually read. First one in The Witcher series, The Last Wish.

Rising Phoenix
Haegemony supporter. Ludd hater

Post by Rising Phoenix » 21:21:33 Monday, 21 September, 2015

Finished "Dark Hollow" by John Connolly some time ago. Definitely worth of praise.

CWestfall
MEANWHILE, IN NORWAY...

Post by CWestfall » 18:18:55 Sunday, 13 December, 2015

Fun fact #1: Renowned* diplomat** Henry Kissinger is still alive somehow.

Fun fact #2: He wrote a new book last year, World Order.

Since there's people who love it and hate it on both sides of the aisle (I've heard it called "required reading" and "over 300 pages of washed-up Realpolitik"), I thought I ought to check it out. I'm only about 20 pages in, but I'll let y'all know how it goes.
<KimIlSmyg> Congratulations Labine
<KimIlSmyg> You're in my signature.

Maddox
"Marche ou Crève"

Post by Maddox » 06:31:51 Thursday, 10 March, 2016

CWestfall wrote:Fun fact #1: Renowned* diplomat** Henry Kissinger is still alive somehow.

Since there's people who love it and hate it on both sides of the aisle (I've heard it called "required reading" and "over 300 pages of washed-up Realpolitik"), I thought I ought to check it out. I'm only about 20 pages in, but I'll let y'all know how it goes.
Would love an update on this.

I just started The Summer Book by Tove Jansson. I'm also working on The Souls of Black Folk, the seminal collection of W.E.B. Du Bois essays, and Free Culture: The Nature and Future of Creativity by Lawrence Lessig.
Casimir Georges Vachon, Légion de Laffite - Louisiana
Prince Gustave Tremayne, Duke of Lathair, Margrave in the West, Count of Wynriver, Blood Royal
Ralf Persson, Axe Murderer - Dark Waters
Inquisitor Sun Thu Mai/Game Master - The Ironfall Disappearances
<Rinkou> Like, the only thing I listen to is the vibrations of the earth and Joe Rogan podcasts, man

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 15:14:50 Thursday, 10 March, 2016

Maddox wrote:
CWestfall wrote:Fun fact #1: Renowned* diplomat** Henry Kissinger is still alive somehow.

Would love an update on this.

I just started The Summer Book by Tove Jansson. I'm also working on The Souls of Black Folk, the seminal collection of W.E.B. Du Bois essays, and Free Culture: The Nature and Future of Creativity by Lawrence Lessig.
Speaking of follow ups, how'd your mountain of free Buddhist materials go?

Maddox
"Marche ou Crève"

Post by Maddox » 17:10:02 Monday, 25 July, 2016

I've managed to get through five books. The aforementioned Bodhinyana, which was excellent. The Five Pure Land Sutras and The Diamond and the Heart Sutras, which were both interesting as core texts of the Buddhist faith but made pretty dry reads by the translations, which were technically sound but done in very formal English (all "thou" and "forsooth" and shit). Mindfulness in Plain English and The Tree of Enlightenment are an in-depth guide to meditation and a history of Buddhism written by an outsider, respectably, and both solid reads.

On an unrelated note, I'm currently reading A Savage War of Peace: Algeria 1954-1962 by Alistair Horne. It's a hefty but well-written piece of military history that does well in making sense of a really complicated conflict. I've also just started Essays in Idleness (Tsurezuregusa) by Yoshida Kenkō, which was recommended to me by Rinkou some time ago and that I just ordered off Amazon for my birthday.
Casimir Georges Vachon, Légion de Laffite - Louisiana
Prince Gustave Tremayne, Duke of Lathair, Margrave in the West, Count of Wynriver, Blood Royal
Ralf Persson, Axe Murderer - Dark Waters
Inquisitor Sun Thu Mai/Game Master - The Ironfall Disappearances
<Rinkou> Like, the only thing I listen to is the vibrations of the earth and Joe Rogan podcasts, man

Return to “Off Topic”