What are you reading? Books & Literature Thread

For off-topic, general discussion. Talk about pretty much anything.
Coin
Mise, Pangur Bán agus PILOT WHALES

What are you reading? Books & Literature Thread

Post by Coin » 14:36:30 Friday, 05 June, 2015

...I'm not sure why I put & literature there, but I guess for those of an ereader disposition that makes sense. Thought I'd post this since we have a films & games thread.

Presently reading "A History of Christianity" by Diarmaid McCulloch. A very interesting book, if hard to read due to the depth of it. Pretty cool hearing about Syrian missionaries in the far east - even Japan - long before the West arrived.

Also ordered Lord of the Flies and The Forever War just today, for a fiction hit. But aye, just a thread where you can say what you're reading yourselves, and discuss or w/e.

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What are you reading? Books & Literature Thread

Post by Huojin » 15:07:26 Friday, 05 June, 2015

The Forever War is forever glorious.

I started reading On The Road yesterday on the plane, since my phone was running low on power and I needed it when I landed. Might start re-reading Lord of Light.

RinKou
Jackbooted Swinelicker Fascist

Post by RinKou » 21:46:23 Sunday, 07 June, 2015

Because like, non-fiction, genre fiction and literature are all different things, man.

Got Robert Fisk's Great War for Civilization going, as well as American Psycho. Also re-reading Adam Johnson's Parasites like Us, which I remember being much better written the first time around. I mean, it's still fucking solid and an absolute recommendation, but it's not as stylistically rich as most modern American fic, though it's along the same veins thematically.
Heartache by the Numbers: Caravan Master

If you say that prancing mailman of a GM is ever going to run the gangster game WELL THEN I SAY GOOD DAY SIR -oyid

I write things!
I post things!

Cthulhuvong
Chaos God of Nation Simming

Post by Cthulhuvong » 15:00:03 Monday, 08 June, 2015

I'm always reading a handful at once, picking up whichever floats my boat at the time.

First up is Lords of Mars by Graham McNeill, Warhammer 40k stuff about an explorator mission with Black Templar space marines, Cadian Imperial Guard, a Rogue Trader and his ship, and a ton of Mechanicus boys. Second book of a trilogy, very good.

Next is Capital in the Twenty-First Century by Thomas Piketty. Just started scratching the surface but its good so far. Good in the sense that capitalism is doomed. Gonna be bad times ahead, but hell, won't it be fun?

Finally is The Meaning of Marxism (2014 edition) by Paul D'Amato. Interesting read so far, First Chapter basically just covering Marx before he became a Communist. Read some quotes in the book from Marx to my girlfriend (who isn't as politically inclined like me) and she said most Americans would agree with those quotes, should they not know the writer.

Basically the first is for fun, the next two are for the coming post-apocalypse :P
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

"Sir, It is a well-known fact that young people are generally leftwing. It is also well-known that as people get older, they become more rightwing.
It is also a fact that, as people get older, their brain cells die at a faster and faster rate. I would therefore like to propose that conservatism be classified as a degenerative disease."
~letter to the Guardian, 1971

"I mean, being a freedom fighter, a…a force for good, it's…it's a wonderful thing. You get to make your own hours, looks good on a resume, but the pay…SUCKS."
~Alfred Bester, Babylon 5

Smyg
GETTIN' REAL TIRED OF YOUR MACHIAVELLIAN BULLSHIT, GESAR

Post by Smyg » 15:25:20 Monday, 08 June, 2015

I haven't had the energy or time to read anything fictional in years... :(

Zar
walking meme repository

Post by Zar » 03:51:02 Tuesday, 09 June, 2015

FINISHED READING: PLATO'S REPUBLIC

CURRENTLY READING: DON QUIXOTE

PLANNING ON READING: A CONFEDERACY OF DUNCES + MY TEXTBOOKS FOR NEXT SEMESTER
"I have no patience for injustice, no tolerance for government incompetence, no sympathy for leaders who fail their citizens."

BgKnight
George R. R. Martin in space and with less talent

Post by BgKnight » 06:13:06 Tuesday, 09 June, 2015

I've been re-reading Blindsight, by Peter Watts, seriously, for anyone who likes Hard Sci-fi, Horror and excellent excellent writing, then I cannot stress enough how much you should read this book. Finished the second reading of the Culture Series and I will continue to get my sci fi fix by going through Dune next up on the list.

RinKou

Post by RinKou » 22:06:00 Tuesday, 09 June, 2015

Confederacy of Dunces is fucking solid, Zar.

Godtier taste.

If you say that prancing mailman of a GM is ever going to run the gangster game WELL THEN I SAY GOOD DAY SIR -oyid

I write things!
I post things!

Zar
walking meme repository

Post by Zar » 23:03:45 Tuesday, 09 June, 2015

RinKou wrote:Confederacy of Dunces is fucking solid, Zar.

Godtier taste.
"I have no patience for injustice, no tolerance for government incompetence, no sympathy for leaders who fail their citizens."

Maddox
"Marche ou Crève"

Post by Maddox » 05:54:12 Wednesday, 10 June, 2015

I just finished Salvo! Classic Naval Gun Actions by Bernard Edwards, which covered significant battles between all-gun navy fleets, starting with the Battle of the Yalu River (1894) and ending with the Battle of Surigao Strait (1944).

I'm currently splitting my time between The Things They Cannot Say: Stories Soldiers Won't Tell You About What They've Seen, Done or Failed to Do in War by Kevin Sites; Hunger, a novella and some short stories by Lan Samantha Chang; and Bodhinyana, a collection of talks by Thai Buddhist scholar Ajahn Chah and one of the books I got for free. Plato's Five Dialogues is my current bathroom reader (because I can only ever get through a few pages at a time), replacing The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius.
Casimir Georges Vachon, Légion de Laffite - Louisiana
Prince Gustave Tremayne, Duke of Lathair, Margrave in the West, Count of Wynriver, Blood Royal
Ralf Persson, Axe Murderer - Dark Waters
Inquisitor Sun Thu Mai/Game Master - The Ironfall Disappearances
<Rinkou> Like, the only thing I listen to is the vibrations of the earth and Joe Rogan podcasts, man

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 13:41:16 Wednesday, 10 June, 2015

Maddox, what's the word on those free Buddhist books? Any you've gotten through you'd recommend? I was planning on waiting a while to see if you had any you'd thumbs up or down.

Coin
Mise, Pangur Bán agus PILOT WHALES

Post by Coin » 14:34:09 Wednesday, 10 June, 2015

Got that bunch of fiction books I ordered the other day - about to finish Look to Windward by Iain Banks - think it's the only Culture novel of his, bar the short stories, I hadn't read. Spiffing as usual, even though I'm sometimes a bit disappointed by self-critique in terms of the culture itself in the books. After that I'll probably go for The Forever War.
RinKou wrote:Because like, non-fiction, genre fiction and literature are all different things, man.

Got Robert Fisk's Great War for Civilization going, as well as American Psycho. Also re-reading Adam Johnson's Parasites like Us, which I remember being much better written the first time around. I mean, it's still fucking solid and an absolute recommendation, but it's not as stylistically rich as most modern American fic, though it's along the same veins thematically.
Is Fisk any good? Never read anything of his, actually, but always considered it.

RinKou

Post by RinKou » 00:45:42 Thursday, 11 June, 2015

Maddox wrote:Salvo! Classic Naval Gun Actions
Holy shit that sounds amazing. How is it?
Coin wrote:Is Fisk any good? Never read anything of his, actually, but always considered it.
Fisk is super solid, man. Very personable. I'd definitely recommend it if it's already been on your radar.

I write things!
I post things!

Maddox
"Marche ou Crève"

Post by Maddox » 04:40:05 Friday, 19 June, 2015

RinKou wrote:
Maddox wrote:Salvo! Classic Naval Gun Actions
Holy shit that sounds amazing. How is it?
It suffered somewhat from it's format in that it had only so much space to describe so many battles, and as such was a little too brief at points. Also, it was a bit overly Anglophilic, but that's a small gripe given that the Royal Navy was involved in a lot of the events detailed. Overall, it was pretty awesome.
Huojin wrote:Maddox, what's the word on those free Buddhist books? Any you've gotten through you'd recommend? I was planning on waiting a while to see if you had any you'd thumbs up or down.
I've only actually read most of Bodhinyana so far, but I've found it refreshingly concise and straightforward for a religious text. I would recommend it.

As an aside, I finished The Things They Cannot Say, which was excellent, and I've picked up Just Americans: How Japanese Americans Won a War at Home and Abroad by Robert Asahina. It covers the story of the segregated Japanese American 100th Battalion and 442d Regimental Combat Team, two of the most decorated units in the US Army in WWII that nobody's ever heard of.
Casimir Georges Vachon, Légion de Laffite - Louisiana
Prince Gustave Tremayne, Duke of Lathair, Margrave in the West, Count of Wynriver, Blood Royal
Ralf Persson, Axe Murderer - Dark Waters
Inquisitor Sun Thu Mai/Game Master - The Ironfall Disappearances
<Rinkou> Like, the only thing I listen to is the vibrations of the earth and Joe Rogan podcasts, man

Zar
walking meme repository

Post by Zar » 02:14:53 Friday, 31 July, 2015

Return to “Off Topic”