What are we listening to?

For off-topic, general discussion. Talk about pretty much anything.
RinKou
Jackbooted Swinelicker Fascist

Re: What are we listening to?

Post by RinKou » 19:04:09 Monday, 16 September, 2013

Classy as fuck, guys.
SpoilerShow
Killah Priest wrote:And open Bibles, instead of hoping on revivals
Calling on His name and screaming 'Hallelujah!'
When he hardly knew ya, that's how the devil's fooled ya
See, look into my eyes, brethren, that's the lies of a reverend
Why should you die to go to heaven?
The Earth is already in space.
SpoilerShow
Slug wrote:Now maybe I was high but it felt so right
Heaven and hell both take to this woman's womb
It didn't make sense how she could commence
Touching herself with me wide awake in the same room
SpoilerShow
POS wrote:And she gave birth to a lion-cub
It's followed me for years now
I'm leaning by the A's so I don't peak
I know it's chewing on my fingers while I sleep
I know it's stupid but it keeps without a leash
And I've been trying to set it loose
It seems it's freedom stripping me
So I treat it like what it is
I lay these eggshells to remember to be careful
SpoilerShow
Ab Soul wrote:Hundred million trillion motherfuckin' racks, nigga.
Pinot grigio - the lean'll go in that, nigga.
Heartache by the Numbers: Caravan Master

If you say that prancing mailman of a GM is ever going to run the gangster game WELL THEN I SAY GOOD DAY SIR -oyid

I write things!
I post things!

Gesar
Social Justice Stasi
Social Justice Stasi

Post by Gesar » 22:17:48 Tuesday, 17 September, 2013

Ab-Soul has the craziest vineyards ever.

On that note, I'll be posting five or so songs with a theme as well, any suggestions? :>
BrazilSim: Lampião, King of Cangaco, in Ain't Nothin' But a Gangster Party
Smyg wrote:The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of Gesar coping with being a total fucking a-grade revolutionary thinker

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 20:52:16 Sunday, 22 September, 2013

Langben
What time is it?

Post by Langben » 08:51:57 Wednesday, 25 September, 2013

Rising Phoenix
Haegemony supporter. Ludd hater

Post by Rising Phoenix » 13:43:45 Monday, 30 September, 2013

Apologies if I posted this somewhere already. I am kinda dummy-fied this days.
SpoilerShow

TRC
"Molotov's own Jeremy Renner"

Post by TRC » 02:51:22 Wednesday, 04 December, 2013

SpoilerShow

blanemcc
Anything but a fucking commie title

Post by blanemcc » 17:38:12 Wednesday, 04 December, 2013

I love Japandroids. Just...distortion and shit.

RinKou

Post by RinKou » 23:11:06 Monday, 23 December, 2013

I'm actually on another Astro kick right now, but since my last post was a hip-hop one, here's some great female vocalists instead.
SpoilerShow

Grow Up and Blow Away was actually supposed to be their debut album, but because of producer issues, it didn't end up getting released until 2007. It's got an even more raw edge to it than Old World Underground, Where Are You Now?, their actual debut. They've grown progressively more poppy since the early days - not necessarily a bad thing, but they just don't have quite the same attitude anymore.
SpoilerShow

Nico Vega managed a pretty substantial boost to their exposure after "Beast" and "Fury, Oh Fury" were used for the Bioshock Infinite ad campaign, and before that, when Aja married the lead singer from Imagine Dragons (they also have a side project band together, Egyptian, that's actually pretty cute).

Their debut album is like if Looper was better. Great concept, great execution, great tone, but it just didn't live up to its potential. There's a sense of real rigidity as far as the format of the songs go, and almost all of them are downright amazing, but a single botched part brings it back down to above average. It feels a little amateurish, would be the best way to put it, but that definitely doesn't show through in their live stuff.
SpoilerShow

Ges introduced me to Patti Smith a long time back, with "Rock and Roll Nigger". And despite how much I've grown to love her since then, I still hadn't gotten around to picking up any of her albums. She covers a lot of territory, and unlike a lot of artists who start shifting in another direction, she manages to have the same appeal driving everything she's done.

This was a hard one to pick a song for, since she's got so much to choose from, but "Land" off Horses is probably the best single song to sum up her entire discography.
SpoilerShow

I actually was planning to post a song off her debut album Lana del Ray aka Lizzy Grant, back before the marketing machine ate her up and turned her into a pop culture icon, but I couldn't find a version that was any good quality. Lizzy was a young girl with a knack for sultry aloofness and lyrics charged with casual violence and sexuality. Course, then she got discovered and Born to Die happened, which was largely disappointing.

Paradise is the closest thing to a real sequel to aka Lizzy Grant, blending both her new style with her old one, and covering some of the songs off aka.
SpoilerShow

This was another hard one to pick a song for. Joanna Newsom makes up a pretty major pillar in my musical tastes. She's got a bit of a strange singing voice, but it's one you grow to love - it's perfect for her music. By the time Have One on Me came out, she'd worked a lot on it, and that weird Chinese opera-esque twang is gone.

Given that Have One on Me features a stronger synergy between melody and lyrics than her earlier albums did, though, it works out really well for it. It also rated 9.2 on Pitchfork, which is basically like Indie Jesus personally giving Ms. Newsom a high five. Fun story, the clerk who rang me out for this actually interned at the studio Have One on Me was recorded in and got to do some mastering on it.

Another fun story, Joanna Newsom is engaged to Andy Sandberg, of SNL and Lonely Island fame.
SpoilerShow

I almost debated putting this song on the list, given that I actually know next to nothing about Stevie Nicks, but as far as female vocalists go, this one song's had a lot of influence on my work for a long time - it was a cornerstone of the playlist I used when writing In Case of Emergency!, or, Sad People Have Pointless Conversations in Space.

A friend introduced me to it before we watched Heavy Metal with the prediction that it was the one that would've fit me best. And, hell, it was. Despite an amazing soundtrack, nothing really compared to just how lonesome and ethereal this was.
SpoilerShow

I actually don't know a ton about AYA either, but less for lack of trying and more for not being able to navigate Japanese internet very well. I do know she's done some solo stuff in addition to being the frontlady for Swing Holic, and is also very good at that as well.

Between such a strong voice and unparalleled confidence, though, I'm going to venture that she's the largest factor in Swing Holic's success. While the band itself is very skilled, and has an untouchable level of creativity with their arrangements, she's largely the face - the second track on every Swing Holic record after the first one is the track that carries the entire album, and that spot is always reserved solely for AYA.

And while it's been years since I've hunted down any Swing Holic album, or for that matter, any Touhou arrangements, this is the kind of shit that makes me consider giving the whole scene another chance.

If you say that prancing mailman of a GM is ever going to run the gangster game WELL THEN I SAY GOOD DAY SIR -oyid

I write things!
I post things!

RinKou

Post by RinKou » 18:34:19 Sunday, 02 February, 2014

Man, nobody posts here. But here's a list of legit Top 40 alt, with an undergrounder something in the same vein.
SpoilerShow

More viscous than gritty, but it does have a very dark edge to it. Lyrically, it's got a flow that I haven't heard outside of hip hop for a long time. It just took the #1 position on the alt/rock charts, so maybe it's time to avoid the radio for a few months to not have this overplayed for you.

Off the Hotline Miami soundtrack, Silver Lights has been one of my favorites for a long while. It's much more unforgiving than Do I Wanna Know, and that more ethereal progression probably allows it to stand up to repeat play much better.
SpoilerShow

Such 80s. Their other single, Safe and Sound was hella overplayed, and couldn't stand up to it, since it really was only above average at best. But this, on the other hand, is pretty fuckin' great.

I couldn't find just quite the best song to represent Blood Orange, but this one'll do. This guy is like, that 80s-90s transition period embodied. He's also published by the same label as Owen Pallett. I might do a full playlist of just this dude sometime, actually.
SpoilerShow

I actually don't have a comparison piece to pair with this. It's just a genuinely good song from some unknown dudes who happened to get noticed. The DJ mentioned that it would be a great fit for Better Call Saul!, and I gotta agree. It does have a very modern-west style feel to it. It'd also make a great Borderlands opening cinematic for the same reason.
Also, uh, remind me to whip up a Joanna Newsom playlist for Gesar before I forget.

I write things!
I post things!

Coin
Mise, Pangur Bán agus PILOT WHALES

Post by Coin » 10:12:37 Saturday, 15 March, 2014

Brazilsim: Horacio de Matos
MG BoP: Israel

Rising Phoenix
Haegemony supporter. Ludd hater

Post by Rising Phoenix » 05:44:24 Tuesday, 25 March, 2014

Old stuff that should be preserved:
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow

Cthulhuvong
Chaos God of Nation Simming

Post by Cthulhuvong » 20:59:54 Tuesday, 25 March, 2014

RinKou wrote:Man, nobody posts here. But here's a list of legit Top 40 alt, with an undergrounder something in the same vein.
SpoilerShow

More viscous than gritty, but it does have a very dark edge to it. Lyrically, it's got a flow that I haven't heard outside of hip hop for a long time. It just took the #1 position on the alt/rock charts, so maybe it's time to avoid the radio for a few months to not have this overplayed for you.

Off the Hotline Miami soundtrack, Silver Lights has been one of my favorites for a long while. It's much more unforgiving than Do I Wanna Know, and that more ethereal progression probably allows it to stand up to repeat play much better.
SpoilerShow

Such 80s. Their other single, Safe and Sound was hella overplayed, and couldn't stand up to it, since it really was only above average at best. But this, on the other hand, is pretty fuckin' great.

I couldn't find just quite the best song to represent Blood Orange, but this one'll do. This guy is like, that 80s-90s transition period embodied. He's also published by the same label as Owen Pallett. I might do a full playlist of just this dude sometime, actually.
SpoilerShow

I actually don't have a comparison piece to pair with this. It's just a genuinely good song from some unknown dudes who happened to get noticed. The DJ mentioned that it would be a great fit for Better Call Saul!, and I gotta agree. It does have a very modern-west style feel to it. It'd also make a great Borderlands opening cinematic for the same reason.
Also, uh, remind me to whip up a Joanna Newsom playlist for Gesar before I forget.
RinKou is best MusicMan!
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

"Sir, It is a well-known fact that young people are generally leftwing. It is also well-known that as people get older, they become more rightwing.
It is also a fact that, as people get older, their brain cells die at a faster and faster rate. I would therefore like to propose that conservatism be classified as a degenerative disease."
~letter to the Guardian, 1971

"I mean, being a freedom fighter, a…a force for good, it's…it's a wonderful thing. You get to make your own hours, looks good on a resume, but the pay…SUCKS."
~Alfred Bester, Babylon 5

BgKnight
George R. R. Martin in space and with less talent

Post by BgKnight » 21:14:47 Tuesday, 25 March, 2014

SpoilerShow

Gesar
Social Justice Stasi
Social Justice Stasi

Post by Gesar » 18:33:05 Saturday, 29 March, 2014

This is how most of my mornings go.
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
BrazilSim: Lampião, King of Cangaco, in Ain't Nothin' But a Gangster Party
Smyg wrote:The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of Gesar coping with being a total fucking a-grade revolutionary thinker

Orago
I Am that Is

Post by Orago » 08:33:19 Tuesday, 01 April, 2014

I have a feeling no one likes the type of music I like :P
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow

Return to “Off Topic”