What are we listening to?

For off-topic, general discussion. Talk about pretty much anything.
Gesar
Social Justice Stasi
Social Justice Stasi

Re: What are we listening to?

Post by Gesar » 02:46:29 Saturday, 26 April, 2014

Just leaving this here/shameless plug time:

https://soundcloud.com/bambudepistola/w ... j-phatrick
BrazilSim: Lampião, King of Cangaco, in Ain't Nothin' But a Gangster Party
Smyg wrote:The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of Gesar coping with being a total fucking a-grade revolutionary thinker

OYID
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post by OYID » 23:16:41 Thursday, 05 June, 2014

Gesar wrote:Just leaving this here/shameless plug time:

https://soundcloud.com/bambudepistola/w ... j-phatrick
Uh guys this track is FUCKING GENIUS OH MY GOD I CAN'T STOP LISTENING TO IT.
1968 Aliens!: US of A.

RinKou
Jackbooted Swinelicker Fascist

Post by RinKou » 21:23:19 Sunday, 08 June, 2014

So a couple months back, I told Gesar I'd make him a Joanna Newsom playlist. This is how long it takes me to fulfill a promise.
SpoilerShow

We're starting with "Emily", the first track on Ys, about a late medieval revolutionary. Least, that's the way I took it. Ys is a great album, and really the peak of early Joanna, a very lyrically adept and sweeping playlist. It's also the start of what I personally refer to as the Portrait Series, based on the half-facetious portrait album covers, where she really takes this new, less folksy and more poetic style to the next level.
SpoilerShow

"Crab, Clam, Cockle, Cowrie" is one of Joanna's earliest songs, and one of those softer, sweeter, folk tunes she started with. These strung-together noun titles are a bit of a hallmark of these older songs, which have much more of that kind of light-heartedness to them. This one's one of my favorites, but I never owned the album or EP it came off of.
SpoilerShow

"Easy" is the inaugural track off Have One on Me, Joanna's latest album/triple EP. It has the same sweep as Ys, but a much more polished voice - she's both learned to really turn her unique twang in an asset. This album as a whole is very strongly influenced by her relationship (and now marriage) to Andy Samberg. It tends to be very candid about their relationship, and despite being very forthcoming about the struggles they go through, there's no question that she truly loves him.

It's that tempering that really turned everything she was doing on Ys into something even greater.
SpoilerShow

"In California" is a song that had to grow on me. It was always a little too slow for me starting out, but I'd eventually grown to love it for its contrasts, and the technical skill is ridiculous throughout this. She already starts out in a hella high octave and just carries that straight through.

CAW CAW CAW
SpoilerShow

This was a tough choice. I'm torn between including this, or "Sawdust and Diamonds" off Ys, but didn't want to basically include the entire album (given that it's only 5 songs long). "Only Skin" covers a lot more ground than "Sawdust and Diamonds", though, and while the latter is a very strong example of Joanna's style, the former has just a tad bit more passion to it. Also, she can spit some sick fucking rhymes here, man, no lie.
SpoilerShow

"81" has always been one of my absolute favorite tracks, but it's something that has to be taken in context of the others. On its own, it's pretty great, but when taken in the context of the JN canon, it's just so fucking soft, man. It's the softest. This one always makes me a little misty eyed. It's so simple and unembellished and has a sort of raw polish to it. Joanna's always been real idyllic, but this is the kind of beauty you find in like, a majestic animal or some shit. A perfectly polished river stone. It has a life of its own.
SpoilerShow

I figured this was a good follow-up. Another one of her earliest, it's real fun and folksy, and I was a little torn between picking this or "Good Intentions Paving Co." off Have One on Me, but that album's gonna be way over represented in this playlist as it is. I'd also had a bit of debate whether to use this or "Peach, Plum, Pear", but I figured out how to handle that conflict.
SpoilerShow

This was another song that really grew on me. I used to also hate just how slow it was, but always hung out for when it started picking up. After a while, though, the idyllic opening grew on me as well. What really stands out in this track for me is the climax, though. It's got a very country vibe to it, maybe even a little post-rockabilly, very rural western. It also includes one of my favorite lyrical passages she's ever done:

I saw a rabbit/as slick as a knife/and as pale as a candlestick
and I thought it'd be harder to do/but I caught her and skinned her quick:
held her there/kicking and mewling/upended, unspooling, unsung and blue
told her "wherever you go/little runaway bunny/I will find you"
And then she ran
As they're liable to do
SpoilerShow

Another early work to start wrapping things up with. No real reason, just was always one of my favorites.
SpoilerShow

"Kingfisher" is a great track to sign off on. It's a prime example of how Joanna's managed to leverage her singing voice in Have One on Me - it's very oriental, a bit Chinese opera-esque.
SpoilerShow

A Owen Pallet cover of "Peach, Plum, Pear". I've always put these two in the same musical space, even though their instrumentation is very different, as is their lyrical approach (after Joanna's debut album, Milk-Eyed Mender, that is), they both have this kind of ethereal feel to them, as well as a very casual approach to trauma.

Peach, Plum, Pear would be co-opted as a title for a shitty, shitty piece of absolute shit indie film about some melodramatic bullshit I watched at the Newport Beach Film Festival back in 0'12, assuming it was going to be a comedy. It was not. This isn't relevant at all, but it's a story I like sharing.
tl;dl: Weird shit and pretentious opinions no one cares about.
Heartache by the Numbers: Caravan Master

If you say that prancing mailman of a GM is ever going to run the gangster game WELL THEN I SAY GOOD DAY SIR -oyid

I write things!
I post things!

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 17:23:44 Tuesday, 24 June, 2014

Listened to it when it was released, but today I suddenly got hooked on it.

BgKnight
George R. R. Martin in space and with less talent

Post by BgKnight » 22:32:12 Monday, 30 June, 2014

Here is what I listen while I am doing Bulgarsim turns, all Bulgarian folklore:
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow

Gesar
Social Justice Stasi
Social Justice Stasi

Post by Gesar » 21:06:26 Monday, 07 July, 2014

I've been bumping a lot of old/B-sideish Atmos lately. Dunno why, it's just kinda where I've been at. I'm too tired to write a clever comment on each, so here.
SpoilerShow

BrazilSim: Lampião, King of Cangaco, in Ain't Nothin' But a Gangster Party
Smyg wrote:The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of Gesar coping with being a total fucking a-grade revolutionary thinker

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 15:15:38 Friday, 01 August, 2014

First girl group debuted by SM Entertainment in like, 5 years? If you've heard of Girls Generation, they're the biggest girl group in k-pop (also in number of members).

This is fairly weird. I don't know if I like it, but it's curious. Also SM goof'd if they were aiming for some kind of theme of shady international goings on, since there's newspapers in the background from the nuclear bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki (when Japan is a huge market for Korean music), and there's also a reference to 9/11 in the video. Yaaaay.

(Thus concludes Huojin's impromptu k-pop lesson. You may now resume your normal viewing.)

Smyg
GETTIN' REAL TIRED OF YOUR MACHIAVELLIAN BULLSHIT, GESAR

Post by Smyg » 15:40:20 Friday, 01 August, 2014

Huojin wrote:First girl group debuted by SM Entertainment in like, 5 years? If you've heard of Girls Generation, they're the biggest girl group in k-pop (also in number of members).

This is fairly weird. I don't know if I like it, but it's curious. Also SM goof'd if they were aiming for some kind of theme of shady international goings on, since there's newspapers in the background from the nuclear bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki (when Japan is a huge market for Korean music), and there's also a reference to 9/11 in the video. Yaaaay.

(Thus concludes Huojin's impromptu k-pop lesson. You may now resume your normal viewing.)
Asians.
Comrade Astrojildo Pereira Duarte Silva
Secretary-General of the Partido Comunista do Brasil
(PCB)

RinKou

Post by RinKou » 23:03:35 Sunday, 17 August, 2014

So, Dan le Sac vs Scroobius Pip are splitting up. I figured I'll do a post in both their honor, as well as another recently defunct indie rap group with equally enviable facial hair, Death Grips.
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow

's spelled wrong hell yeah fuck yeah
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
Bonus Track

Spread eagle cross the block spr-spr-spread eagle cross the bloooooock

(I really like Exmilitary)
Special thanks to Snacks for introducing me to Scrooby D in the first place.

If you say that prancing mailman of a GM is ever going to run the gangster game WELL THEN I SAY GOOD DAY SIR -oyid

I write things!
I post things!

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 16:42:42 Tuesday, 07 October, 2014

So Childish Gambino released a new mixtape/EP (mixtape half is free, EP half you can buy), and apparently hidden between the EP and his last album ("Because The Internet") was an alternative version/sequel to "3005" from BTI. It's pretty chill.

RinKou

Post by RinKou » 20:12:13 Thursday, 11 December, 2014

jenny death now

it's happening

SpoilerShow

I write things!
I post things!

OYID
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post by OYID » 02:59:05 Sunday, 15 February, 2015

A fucking classic. This one goes out to Gesar, ingrata.

1968 Aliens!: US of A.

Rising Phoenix
Haegemony supporter. Ludd hater

Post by Rising Phoenix » 18:42:07 Sunday, 22 February, 2015

SpoilerShow

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 10:11:29 Wednesday, 04 March, 2015

http://www.inquisitr.com/1874395/childi ... o-a-close/

Only acceptable if he becomes the next Spiderman.

RinKou

Post by RinKou » 02:55:49 Tuesday, 17 March, 2015

Selected tracks from the playlist I have in my car right now:
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow

I write things!
I post things!

Return to “Off Topic”