US politics

For off-topic, general discussion. Talk about pretty much anything.
Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Re: US politics

Postby Huojin » 18:30:39 Monday, 08 August, 2016

Zar wrote:
Huojin wrote:the brilliant oration of Obama

What Obama speeches do you think are memorable?

I'm talking style, rather than substance. But his speech at the 2004 Convention stands out as pretty solid.

Zar
walking meme repository

Postby Zar » 19:08:17 Monday, 08 August, 2016

Huojin wrote:
Zar wrote:
Huojin wrote:the brilliant oration of Obama

What Obama speeches do you think are memorable?

I'm talking style, rather than substance. But his speech at the 2004 Convention stands out as pretty solid.

Obama's way of speaking has been pretty controversial, it seems. He uses a lot of filled pauses, which can either come across as amateur or endearing.

I also think you aren't being very fair to Clinton's speeches.

As a young student she was pretty eloquent, though she does make a few mistakes.

This speech is pretty influential, at least in popularizing the phrase "Women's Rights Are Human Rights" that is prominent in feminist rhetoric. I can't think of anything comparable for Obama.
"I have no patience for injustice, no tolerance for government incompetence, no sympathy for leaders who fail their citizens."

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Huojin » 20:48:51 Monday, 08 August, 2016

1969 and 1995. My Obama example is from 2004. Something more recent than 20 years ago might be appropriate for this particular point. Although I'll also point out that her 1995 speech is before a conference where everyone is listening politely - not members of the public in a crowd.

Though again, my point is about style rather than substance. Hillary has made plenty of influential or notable speeches when you look at the content. But the style with which she speaks leaves plenty to be desired. She speaks haltingly at times, there's little regard for rhythm, she's bad at sensing the mood of the audience, she's not great at knowing where the pause and leave things she's said to air, or when to break for cheering, and so on.

I'll avoid talking about her quips and "jokes", because those are undoubtedly her speech writers, but she could do without them.

When a speech needs detail, or precision, or is in a big formal setting where things are in control, she's fine and does a good enough job. But I think she's dropping the ball on her public speeches.

Pager
Proletarian
Proletarian

Postby Pager » 00:42:06 Tuesday, 09 August, 2016

She's an overrated politician just like Obama.

Zar
walking meme repository

Postby Zar » 02:30:56 Tuesday, 09 August, 2016

1969 and 1995. My Obama example is from 2004. Something more recent than 20 years ago might be appropriate for this particular point.

Why would it be more appropriate for this "particular point"?

Although I'll also point out that her 1995 speech is before a conference where everyone is listening politely - not members of the public in a crowd.

I don't understand how this gives her an unfair edge over Obama, both of them have made speeches to a variety of different crowds.

She speaks haltingly at times, there's little regard for rhythm, she's bad at sensing the mood of the audience, she's not great at knowing where the pause and leave things she's said to air, or when to break for cheering, and so on.

You would have to point out exactly where you've found these flaws. Even given that these criticisms are true, it seems as though Obama's "style" failed to persuade many Americans to back his healthcare plan, to take credit for the killing of Osama Bin-Laden, and to present the other successes of his presidency. Of course, Clinton hasn't tried to do these things, but she has been president either.

When a speech needs detail, or precision, or is in a big formal setting where things are in control, she's fine and does a good enough job. But I think she's dropping the ball on her public speeches.

I am skeptical of this. Yes, Obama does good in non-hostile environments like rallies or conventions. In debates he has issues where it is obvious that he is trying to think of a reply. That is when he speaks slower and screws up words. He also can be a little meandering. Clinton is much more direct in debates. Compare these.

https://youtu.be/eEfxalQNwKY?t=2223

https://youtu.be/QEpCrcMF5Ps?t=462

Obama is great when he can be irreverent. His White House correspondent dinners are probably the best ever.

In short, I wouldn't call Obama's speaking skills "brilliant", though he does have strengths. And if you compare his skills with Clinton's they would not be too far apart.

Pager wrote:She's an overrated politician just like Obama.

buen post
"I have no patience for injustice, no tolerance for government incompetence, no sympathy for leaders who fail their citizens."

Pager
Proletarian
Proletarian

Postby Pager » 10:47:30 Tuesday, 09 August, 2016

Zar wrote:
1969 and 1995. My Obama example is from 2004. Something more recent than 20 years ago might be appropriate for this particular point.

Why would it be more appropriate for this "particular point"?

Although I'll also point out that her 1995 speech is before a conference where everyone is listening politely - not members of the public in a crowd.

I don't understand how this gives her an unfair edge over Obama, both of them have made speeches to a variety of different crowds.

She speaks haltingly at times, there's little regard for rhythm, she's bad at sensing the mood of the audience, she's not great at knowing where the pause and leave things she's said to air, or when to break for cheering, and so on.

You would have to point out exactly where you've found these flaws. Even given that these criticisms are true, it seems as though Obama's "style" failed to persuade many Americans to back his healthcare plan, to take credit for the killing of Osama Bin-Laden, and to present the other successes of his presidency. Of course, Clinton hasn't tried to do these things, but she has been president either.

I am skeptical of this. Yes, Obama does good in non-hostile environments like rallies or conventions. In debates he has issues where it is obvious that he is trying to think of a reply. That is when he speaks slower and screws up words. He also can be a little meandering. Clinton is much more direct in debates. Compare these.

https://youtu.be/eEfxalQNwKY?t=2223

https://youtu.be/QEpCrcMF5Ps?t=462

Obama is great when he can be irreverent. His White House correspondent dinners are probably the best ever.

In short, I wouldn't call Obama's speaking skills "brilliant", though he does have strengths. And if you compare his skills with Clinton's they would not be too far apart.

Pager wrote:She's an overrated politician just like Obama.

buen post

Their biggest skill in politics is self-promotion, not statesmanship. That's why I say they're overrated and also hyped-up by the media.

Zar
walking meme repository

Postby Zar » 21:19:41 Tuesday, 09 August, 2016

Pager wrote:Their biggest skill in politics is self-promotion, not statesmanship. That's why I say they're overrated and also hyped-up by the media.

Well I very much doubt Obama's biggest skill in politics is "self-promotion" since he has been unable to tie any of the successes of his presidency to himself. The same for Clinton, since he tenure as Secretary of State was pretty low key (besides the Benghazi thing).

"Overrated and hyped-up" by whom? It is pretty clear that there that "the media" is partisan with both of them.

Langben
What time is it?

Postby Langben » 08:38:52 Wednesday, 10 August, 2016

Zar wrote:The same for Clinton, since he tenure as Secretary of State was pretty low key (besides the Benghazi thing).

Zar
walking meme repository

Postby Zar » 04:32:25 Thursday, 11 August, 2016

Don't understand what you're trying to say here, mi amigo.

Master of Oblivion
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Master of Oblivion » 19:43:29 Monday, 15 August, 2016

This bizarre email was sent to my department:

Look through the list and corresponding videos. Please ignore any rudeness.

http://twitter.com/mon15arm

Write down or analyze misinterpretations, allusions, homonyms, and cross reference
those to the position of the arms, facial expressions, etc, of the speakers for
the entire election. Include commentary in the media and from other sources.

You will find the topics outlined in the video names, and in the video content to
be used to send implicit distress codes, information tips, and more about the
videos.

Example words:
potential - electrical, electronic, or electromagnetic radioactive voltage or power
pressure - the result of ultrasonic force, possibly on the anatomy

There's thousands of similar words to find.

If you can analyze this sufficiently, please consider answering and asking the following
questions.

Is it possible to hold a fair election if politicians are completely unprotected from advanced multi-trajectory and high amplitude ultrasonic weapons?

Could Trump's apparent knowledge of ultrasonics torture tactics means someone has been torturing him with ultrasonic weapons?

Is it possible to have a fair election if politicians are completely unprotected from advanced multi-trajectory and high amplitude electromagnetic weapons whereever they go?

Could Hillaries apparent recent seizure been the result of high amplitude electromagnetic weapons aimed into her midbrain cutting in and out?

Is it possible involved parties are under the control of, or being coerced by, electromagnetic or ultrasonic systems which effect their behavior and decisions?

Are you aware of any law enforcement or other government organization which protected other citizens from these technologies?

Have victims been discredited as mentally ill over the course of decades?

How advanced could these, and similar technologies be now?

Are you aware of any advanced effects these technologies could be having on the politicians or other citizens?

Do you have any incling, impulses, decisions, or desires to help cover up for the usage of these technologies?

Could a democracy survive such technology?

Did this democracy survive such technology?

How will history, the founding fathers, and the ghosts of the civil war judge this era?

http://citizencontrolsystems.wordpress.com

You are free to copy, forward, print, and usage this message anyway you like as long as it does not identify myself or the sending email. Thanks!
GM of 1898
Louisiana: Edmond Lavaeu
1968: USSR

You either die Fo'Dolo or see yourself live long enough to be the Patton.

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Huojin » 21:09:32 Sunday, 11 September, 2016

Less than 2 months to go till Decision 2016, anyone wanna start a pool on which of the geriatric candidates doesn't make it to inauguration and when?

Langben
What time is it?

Postby Langben » 04:28:03 Tuesday, 13 September, 2016

Donald Trump, Pepe the frog, and white supremacists: an explainer
That cartoon frog is more sinister than you might realize.

/pol/ wrote:Instead of using Pepe as your Twitter symbols, start using the reddit alien. This will then force the MSM to start associating reddit with white supremacism.

I REPEAT EVERYONE CHANGE YOUR IMAGE NOW.

-----

Welcome to meme warfare, gentlemen. God help us.

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Huojin » 17:05:48 Tuesday, 18 October, 2016

Three things I never thought I'd see combined: Trump, Cards Against Humanity, and Overwatch:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense ... board.html

Maddox
"Marche ou Crève"

Postby Maddox » 18:37:50 Tuesday, 18 October, 2016

Huojin wrote:Three things I never thought I'd see combined: Trump, Cards Against Humanity, and Overwatch:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense ... board.html

Related:

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/m ... /92286422/
Casimir Georges Vachon, Légion de Laffite - Louisiana
Prince Gustave Tremayne, Duke of Lathair, Margrave in the West, Count of Wynriver, Blood Royal
Ralf Persson, Axe Murderer - Dark Waters
Inquisitor Sun Thu Mai/Game Master - The Ironfall Disappearances

<Rinkou> Like, the only thing I listen to is the vibrations of the earth and Joe Rogan podcasts, man

Zar
walking meme repository

Postby Zar » 00:42:38 Friday, 04 November, 2016

Everyone post your predictions. Who ever is the closest should get a prize.

Return to “Off Topic”