Films and Television

For off-topic, general discussion. Talk about pretty much anything.
Post Reply
User avatar
Huojin
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3170
Joined: 07:30:29 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

Re: Films and Television

Post by Huojin » 16:43:06 Thursday, 17 December, 2015

It's Fast and Furious in Space now. Thanks, Justin Lin.

Although apparently Simon Pegg promises there's more to the film than just explosions.


ALSO I SAW STAR WARS IT WAS GUD, GO SEE IT.

User avatar
Smyg
GETTIN' REAL TIRED OF YOUR MACHIAVELLIAN BULLSHIT, GESAR
Posts: 2489
Joined: 23:01:40 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

Re: Films and Television

Post by Smyg » 23:14:03 Saturday, 19 December, 2015

Star Wars was amazing!

User avatar
Huojin
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3170
Joined: 07:30:29 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

Re: Films and Television

Post by Huojin » 17:57:59 Monday, 28 December, 2015

SpoilerShow
So anyone who's seen it wanna guess at if Rey has any familial relation to anyone else, and if so who?

I'm personally of the "She's a nobody" school of thought, and like it that way, but I heard a convincing case for her being a Kenobi.

User avatar
Langben
What time is it?
Posts: 916
Joined: 03:36:30 Saturday, 04 August, 2012
Location: Space Truckin'

Re: Films and Television

Post by Langben » 10:46:39 Tuesday, 29 December, 2015

Huojin wrote:
SpoilerShow
So anyone who's seen it wanna guess at if Rey has any familial relation to anyone else, and if so who?

I'm personally of the "She's a nobody" school of thought, and like it that way, but I heard a convincing case for her being a Kenobi.
SpoilerShow
Who would crazy-old-desert-hermit Ben even forsake his religious celibacy with? Dude's busy learning the best one-off party trick in the galaxy from Liam Neeson when he isn't creeping on the son of Space Jesus.

Maybe she's nobody, and that would be sorta cool compared to just being related to somebody just 'cause.

Maybe they referenced clones again for a reason, which might also be cool. I saw an idea that maybe they cloned Anakin to some extent, which would resolve her immediate competency and nicely contrast her with the guy who WANTS to be Vader but isn't.

More likely, they'll do something uncool just like they did in a lot of other spots. Between this and the two Trek movies, JJ Abrams has destroyed half of neo-San Francisco and like 8 goddamn planets (whole!) without impressing any sort of dramatic weight upon the action. Seriously, we see Spock's family reunion and a balcony party on Coruscant(?), and that's our frame of reference for wiping out entire civilizations.

Then they send like 20 dog fighters to attack a planet(!)/military base. Is that seriously all the galaxy can muster in response to evaporating an entire star system? Did the special effects budget not have room for a ROTJ sized fleet, or was this more brainless adherence to the source material to make it more like A New Hope.

...Han and Chewie were cool. I didn't hate the new characters, though the pilot was criminally under used. I wish Brienne of Tarth IN SPAAAACE had been more than a punchline.

...I think I'm most interested to see if we actually get "Bear Necessities" sung by Bill Murray with the new Jungle Book.

User avatar
Huojin
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3170
Joined: 07:30:29 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

Re: Films and Television

Post by Huojin » 12:04:16 Tuesday, 29 December, 2015

Langben wrote:
Huojin wrote:
SpoilerShow
So anyone who's seen it wanna guess at if Rey has any familial relation to anyone else, and if so who?

I'm personally of the "She's a nobody" school of thought, and like it that way, but I heard a convincing case for her being a Kenobi.
SpoilerShow
Who would crazy-old-desert-hermit Ben even forsake his religious celibacy with? Dude's busy learning the best one-off party trick in the galaxy from Liam Neeson when he isn't creeping on the son of Space Jesus.

Maybe she's nobody, and that would be sorta cool compared to just being related to somebody just 'cause.

Maybe they referenced clones again for a reason, which might also be cool. I saw an idea that maybe they cloned Anakin to some extent, which would resolve her immediate competency and nicely contrast her with the guy who WANTS to be Vader but isn't.

More likely, they'll do something uncool just like they did in a lot of other spots. Between this and the two Trek movies, JJ Abrams has destroyed half of neo-San Francisco and like 8 goddamn planets (whole!) without impressing any sort of dramatic weight upon the action. Seriously, we see Spock's family reunion and a balcony party on Coruscant(?), and that's our frame of reference for wiping out entire civilizations.

Then they send like 20 dog fighters to attack a planet(!)/military base. Is that seriously all the galaxy can muster in response to evaporating an entire star system? Did the special effects budget not have room for a ROTJ sized fleet, or was this more brainless adherence to the source material to make it more like A New Hope.

...Han and Chewie were cool. I didn't hate the new characters, though the pilot was criminally under used. I wish Brienne of Tarth IN SPAAAACE had been more than a punchline.

...I think I'm most interested to see if we actually get "Bear Necessities" sung by Bill Murray with the new Jungle Book.
SpoilerShow
Fair criticisms, one and all.

Re: Kenobi, the idea stems around the fact that the lightsaber she was was in Obi-wan's possession far longer than either Anakin's or Luke's (questionable evidence, if you ask me), but that when Rey has her force vision, two voices speak out to her. One says "Rey", which is Sir Alec Guinness in A New Hope, spliced from the word "afraid" - and the other is old Ewan McGregor, who came in specifically to record the line "these are your first steps".

I dunno, I still like the idea of her being a nobody, although the clone angle is interesting. Does she ever say she's waiting for her parents, or is it "family"? I know Maz Kanata says something like "whoever you're waiting for", which seems curiously vague.

There really could've been more Restored Republic focus generally, especially for the Starkiller attack. As a geopolitics nerd the state of galactic foreign affairs being very shittily defined bothers me greatly - I can't grasp why the Republic isn't constantly at war with the First Order to crush it, instead being content to let it laze around building superweapons.

I absolutely agree that Oscar Isaac was underused, I don't know why they "killed him off" so early on, it felt like such a waste to have him doing nothing all movie. I care less about Brienne of Tarth's character, purely because she's another Boba Fett already - stands around looking cool but does shit all. Though it seems like most of her stuff ended up on the cutting room floor, or she'll (HOPEFULLY) do stuff next film.

(As an aside, TR-8R > Phasma

I thought the new talent was great though. They've totally grabbed my interest in the world, so I'll definitely be in store for whatever they do next - Rian Johnson's writing and directing, and Brick was great and Looper was pretty aite (didn't live up to the hype at all, but respectable enough in retrospect) - and bother were importantly original ideas, rather than some adaptation, which I think bodes well for the future of Star Wars. And Larry Kasdan seems to have confidence in him, which seems like a good omen.

Minor bugbear, but I kept wishing at the end that Luke would force pull the lightsaber from Rey's hands, complete with camera tracking smoothly around it until that satisfying *click* of Luke's metal hands on the hilt.

I mean the one thing you can't deny about this film is that it felt like Star Wars. It's obviously got a lot (read: too many) call backs to the Original Trilogy, but it at least feels like it should, like we're in the same universe.

User avatar
Master of Oblivion
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 617
Joined: 02:29:10 Tuesday, 07 August, 2012

Re: Films and Television

Post by Master of Oblivion » 00:11:00 Wednesday, 30 December, 2015

Huojin wrote:
Langben wrote:
Huojin wrote:
SpoilerShow
So anyone who's seen it wanna guess at if Rey has any familial relation to anyone else, and if so who?

I'm personally of the "She's a nobody" school of thought, and like it that way, but I heard a convincing case for her being a Kenobi.
SpoilerShow
Who would crazy-old-desert-hermit Ben even forsake his religious celibacy with? Dude's busy learning the best one-off party trick in the galaxy from Liam Neeson when he isn't creeping on the son of Space Jesus.

Maybe she's nobody, and that would be sorta cool compared to just being related to somebody just 'cause.

Maybe they referenced clones again for a reason, which might also be cool. I saw an idea that maybe they cloned Anakin to some extent, which would resolve her immediate competency and nicely contrast her with the guy who WANTS to be Vader but isn't.

More likely, they'll do something uncool just like they did in a lot of other spots. Between this and the two Trek movies, JJ Abrams has destroyed half of neo-San Francisco and like 8 goddamn planets (whole!) without impressing any sort of dramatic weight upon the action. Seriously, we see Spock's family reunion and a balcony party on Coruscant(?), and that's our frame of reference for wiping out entire civilizations.

Then they send like 20 dog fighters to attack a planet(!)/military base. Is that seriously all the galaxy can muster in response to evaporating an entire star system? Did the special effects budget not have room for a ROTJ sized fleet, or was this more brainless adherence to the source material to make it more like A New Hope.

...Han and Chewie were cool. I didn't hate the new characters, though the pilot was criminally under used. I wish Brienne of Tarth IN SPAAAACE had been more than a punchline.

...I think I'm most interested to see if we actually get "Bear Necessities" sung by Bill Murray with the new Jungle Book.
SpoilerShow
Fair criticisms, one and all.

Re: Kenobi, the idea stems around the fact that the lightsaber she was was in Obi-wan's possession far longer than either Anakin's or Luke's (questionable evidence, if you ask me), but that when Rey has her force vision, two voices speak out to her. One says "Rey", which is Sir Alec Guinness in A New Hope, spliced from the word "afraid" - and the other is old Ewan McGregor, who came in specifically to record the line "these are your first steps".

I dunno, I still like the idea of her being a nobody, although the clone angle is interesting. Does she ever say she's waiting for her parents, or is it "family"? I know Maz Kanata says something like "whoever you're waiting for", which seems curiously vague.

There really could've been more Restored Republic focus generally, especially for the Starkiller attack. As a geopolitics nerd the state of galactic foreign affairs being very shittily defined bothers me greatly - I can't grasp why the Republic isn't constantly at war with the First Order to crush it, instead being content to let it laze around building superweapons.

I absolutely agree that Oscar Isaac was underused, I don't know why they "killed him off" so early on, it felt like such a waste to have him doing nothing all movie. I care less about Brienne of Tarth's character, purely because she's another Boba Fett already - stands around looking cool but does shit all. Though it seems like most of her stuff ended up on the cutting room floor, or she'll (HOPEFULLY) do stuff next film.

(As an aside, TR-8R > Phasma

I thought the new talent was great though. They've totally grabbed my interest in the world, so I'll definitely be in store for whatever they do next - Rian Johnson's writing and directing, and Brick was great and Looper was pretty aite (didn't live up to the hype at all, but respectable enough in retrospect) - and bother were importantly original ideas, rather than some adaptation, which I think bodes well for the future of Star Wars. And Larry Kasdan seems to have confidence in him, which seems like a good omen.

Minor bugbear, but I kept wishing at the end that Luke would force pull the lightsaber from Rey's hands, complete with camera tracking smoothly around it until that satisfying *click* of Luke's metal hands on the hilt.

I mean the one thing you can't deny about this film is that it felt like Star Wars. It's obviously got a lot (read: too many) call backs to the Original Trilogy, but it at least feels like it should, like we're in the same universe.
SpoilerShow
I agree with most of what has been said. I wanted a bit of clarity on the relationship between the resistance, republic, and first order. The one thing that did bother me was how easily Rey was able to master her force powers. Basically in one afternoon she was able to successfully use a light-saber and perform a force pull. I already thought it was silly Luke became a Jedi Master with only maybe a few weeks of training under Ben and Yoda. Rey had no teacher. What exactly did the Jedi order teach people that it took them decades plus to become full Jedi?
Louisiana: Edmond Lavaeu
Gesar's Game: Hoping We don't leave the magic fantasy land
1990: Israel
Metal Gear: Iran
Aliens!: USSR
New Vegas: Salvador

You either die Fo'Dolo or see yourself live long enough to be the Patton.

User avatar
Langben
What time is it?
Posts: 916
Joined: 03:36:30 Saturday, 04 August, 2012
Location: Space Truckin'

Re: Films and Television

Post by Langben » 08:02:02 Wednesday, 30 December, 2015

Master of Oblivion wrote:
Huojin wrote:
SpoilerShow
Fair criticisms, one and all.

Re: Kenobi, the idea stems around the fact that the lightsaber she was was in Obi-wan's possession far longer than either Anakin's or Luke's (questionable evidence, if you ask me), but that when Rey has her force vision, two voices speak out to her. One says "Rey", which is Sir Alec Guinness in A New Hope, spliced from the word "afraid" - and the other is old Ewan McGregor, who came in specifically to record the line "these are your first steps".

I dunno, I still like the idea of her being a nobody, although the clone angle is interesting. Does she ever say she's waiting for her parents, or is it "family"? I know Maz Kanata says something like "whoever you're waiting for", which seems curiously vague.

There really could've been more Restored Republic focus generally, especially for the Starkiller attack. As a geopolitics nerd the state of galactic foreign affairs being very shittily defined bothers me greatly - I can't grasp why the Republic isn't constantly at war with the First Order to crush it, instead being content to let it laze around building superweapons.

I absolutely agree that Oscar Isaac was underused, I don't know why they "killed him off" so early on, it felt like such a waste to have him doing nothing all movie. I care less about Brienne of Tarth's character, purely because she's another Boba Fett already - stands around looking cool but does shit all. Though it seems like most of her stuff ended up on the cutting room floor, or she'll (HOPEFULLY) do stuff next film.

(As an aside, TR-8R > Phasma

I thought the new talent was great though. They've totally grabbed my interest in the world, so I'll definitely be in store for whatever they do next - Rian Johnson's writing and directing, and Brick was great and Looper was pretty aite (didn't live up to the hype at all, but respectable enough in retrospect) - and bother were importantly original ideas, rather than some adaptation, which I think bodes well for the future of Star Wars. And Larry Kasdan seems to have confidence in him, which seems like a good omen.

Minor bugbear, but I kept wishing at the end that Luke would force pull the lightsaber from Rey's hands, complete with camera tracking smoothly around it until that satisfying *click* of Luke's metal hands on the hilt.

I mean the one thing you can't deny about this film is that it felt like Star Wars. It's obviously got a lot (read: too many) call backs to the Original Trilogy, but it at least feels like it should, like we're in the same universe.
SpoilerShow
I agree with most of what has been said. I wanted a bit of clarity on the relationship between the resistance, republic, and first order. The one thing that did bother me was how easily Rey was able to master her force powers. Basically in one afternoon she was able to successfully use a light-saber and perform a force pull. I already thought it was silly Luke became a Jedi Master with only maybe a few weeks of training under Ben and Yoda. Rey had no teacher. What exactly did the Jedi order teach people that it took them decades plus to become full Jedi?
SpoilerShow
The effort to bring back McGregor and solidify the Obi-Wan connection certainly is telling. The thing is, Kenobi's biggest purpose in all 6 movies is to serve as a sort of moral barometer and avatar for the Jedi ideals. Yoda is a step beyond into the mysticism of the Force, but he's a muppet specifically to enhance that. Kenobi provides a human baseline to judge everyone from Han Solo's progression from mercenary jerkass to big damn hero, or Mace Windu/The Jedi Council's ignorance and arrogance that lead to their downfall. To pull him out of that neutral position and make his legacy central to the story would be an odd turn, to me.

That's kind of what drives to your point, MoO. We're given a bunch of breadcrumbs about Rey, but it's left as a hook despite clearly factoring into the climax and denouement with meeting Luke. All in all, it's a pretty shitty tactic that seems to be setting up an "I am your father"-esque reveal, which just doesn't make sense because the only logical conclusion is that she must be some kind of Skywalker to be so stupid good at this Force shit. If this was A New Hope we had just watched, we'd have a good bead of Luke; He lived with his Aunt and Uncle because this asthmatic cyborg had killed his father in the war. Luke=Inigo Montoya in space, no real reason to expect the big reveal from Darth Vader, which is why it had pop. The first half of this movie does an alright job of setting Rey's story up, but everything after the interrogation is pure podracing.

The political and military implications of PLANET DEATH just seem to be a symptom of the recurring Abrams problem with threat scale. Make jokes about Michael Bay's explosions, but at least there's generally an adequate level of action/reaction to give it weight and mean something. Maybe Abrams dodged the politics of the three factions because of backlash to "MUH TRADE NEGOTIATIONS", but it still feels like a HUUUGE hole.

That TR-8R bit is hilarious, and another example of missed opportunities. You have a chance to establish a power scale of "New Heroes < New Villains < Old Heroes" and make a solid connection between Chrometrooper and the protagonists. She gets to be badass, Chewey can establish the "Not entirely lethal gut shot" technique that high level baddies can walk off which is kinda important later, and throwing her down a poopchute later is less of a Jar-Jar gag and more reason for "Terms of Enrampagement" she can work out on Finn when he doesn't have backup later. Would have given the inevitable big fight scene they'll have more depth, rather than just trotting out a mook to be tossed aside within a minute of being introduced.

Ultimately, they set out to not fuck up, and succeeded to the tune of the obliterating Box Office records as expected. They've got plenty of room to improve, and seem more than capable, but as it stands I don't think they'll break my cynicism
In non-spoiler news:



The redubbing potential and Reynolds' enthusiasm for this movie make me wonder how much they'll cram into the special features of the DVD release.

User avatar
Langben
What time is it?
Posts: 916
Joined: 03:36:30 Saturday, 04 August, 2012
Location: Space Truckin'

Re: Films and Television

Post by Langben » 10:22:34 Saturday, 02 January, 2016


User avatar
Huojin
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3170
Joined: 07:30:29 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

Re: Films and Television

Post by Huojin » 13:16:21 Saturday, 02 January, 2016

Goddammit, why Star Wars, why.

(still enjoyed the film doe)

Also Assassins Creed is gonna be a big ball of ass. Deadpool is going to be great. Not sure if there are any other films I'm actually excited for. Potentially X-Men if it doesn't have JLaw plastered all over it, we've got a long wait to see if Rogue One is any good but I'm still Star Wars-y enough to give it benefit of the doubt for now - we'll see how that lasts over a year.

... I dunno. Anything catching anyone's eye?

User avatar
Langben
What time is it?
Posts: 916
Joined: 03:36:30 Saturday, 04 August, 2012
Location: Space Truckin'

Re: Films and Television

Post by Langben » 13:19:37 Sunday, 03 January, 2016

Huojin wrote:... I dunno. Anything catching anyone's eye?


If Bill Murray sings "Bare Necessities", I'm in.

User avatar
Huojin
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3170
Joined: 07:30:29 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

Re: Films and Television

Post by Huojin » 19:08:04 Sunday, 03 January, 2016

I have never seen anything more repulsive.

Also Disney seems to be going all in this "remake-old-stories-in-live-action-and-roll-in-free-money" dig they've been doing.

User avatar
Flamelord
Molotov's official Badass Union (Local 117) representative
Posts: 578
Joined: 19:01:52 Thursday, 02 August, 2012
Location: America
Contact:

Re: Films and Television

Post by Flamelord » 20:46:32 Sunday, 03 January, 2016

Season 2 of Galavant starts today. Brace yourself for musical hijinks and wit.

User avatar
Master of Oblivion
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 617
Joined: 02:29:10 Tuesday, 07 August, 2012

Re: Films and Television

Post by Master of Oblivion » 23:35:17 Monday, 04 January, 2016

Huojin wrote:I have never seen anything more repulsive.

Also Disney seems to be going all in this "remake-old-stories-in-live-action-and-roll-in-free-money" dig they've been doing.
Still waiting for live action Mulan.
Louisiana: Edmond Lavaeu
Gesar's Game: Hoping We don't leave the magic fantasy land
1990: Israel
Metal Gear: Iran
Aliens!: USSR
New Vegas: Salvador

You either die Fo'Dolo or see yourself live long enough to be the Patton.

User avatar
RinKou
Jackbooted Swinelicker Fascist
Posts: 864
Joined: 06:18:32 Wednesday, 08 August, 2012
Location: OC, CA
Contact:

Re: Films and Television

Post by RinKou » 04:49:23 Tuesday, 05 January, 2016

Master of Oblivion wrote:
Huojin wrote:I have never seen anything more repulsive.

Also Disney seems to be going all in this "remake-old-stories-in-live-action-and-roll-in-free-money" dig they've been doing.
Still waiting for live action Mulan.
Starring Jennifer Lawrence as Mulan and Channing Tatum as Captain Lee.
Heartache by the Numbers: Caravan Master

If you say that prancing mailman of a GM is ever going to run the gangster game WELL THEN I SAY GOOD DAY SIR -oyid

I write things!
I post things!

User avatar
Huojin
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3170
Joined: 07:30:29 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

Re: Films and Television

Post by Huojin » 17:15:21 Tuesday, 05 January, 2016

RinKou wrote:
Master of Oblivion wrote:
Huojin wrote:I have never seen anything more repulsive.

Also Disney seems to be going all in this "remake-old-stories-in-live-action-and-roll-in-free-money" dig they've been doing.
Still waiting for live action Mulan.
Starring Jennifer Lawrence as Mulan and Channing Tatum as Captain Lee.
And the entire rest of the cast inexplicably and unspokenly Chinese.

Post Reply

Return to “Off Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests