Films and Television

For off-topic, general discussion. Talk about pretty much anything.
Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Films and Television

Postby Huojin » 21:51:20 Tuesday, 12 January, 2016

So apparently Avengers: Infinity War is going to feature some 67 characters. Which seems incredible and stupid.

http://mcu.therealstanlee.com/civil-infinity-war

Langben
What time is it?

Postby Langben » 00:39:34 Wednesday, 13 January, 2016

Huojin wrote:So apparently Avengers: Infinity War is going to feature some 67 characters. Which seems incredible and stupid.

http://mcu.therealstanlee.com/civil-infinity-war

Was James Bond always hanging out in the background like that?

Langben
What time is it?

Postby Langben » 03:39:53 Friday, 15 January, 2016

Goddammit, we're off to a fucky start to the year.

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Huojin » 22:00:21 Monday, 08 February, 2016

For those who missed it, the pick of the Superb Owl film trailers:

Listed in order of worst to best. Approximately. I have gone from anticipatory towards X-Men to downright dismissive. I can't help but think that Civil War is going to be dumb as hell, unfortunately. The less said about Inderpendence Day 2, the better. But! I am both actively looking forward to Deadpool, which at least promises not to disappoint, and cautiously optimistic about Bourne 5: The Re-Bourne-ening. Though they've still got some work to do to convince me there's a reason he's back aside from being awesome.

Flamelord
Molotov's official Badass Union (Local 117) representative

Postby Flamelord » 17:19:24 Tuesday, 09 February, 2016

The Expanse had their season finale last week. A really good space story, and surprisingly from the Syfy Channel. I give a hearty recommend. It seems even they can hit the good side of Sturgeons Law with something that isn't a parody or satire once in a while.

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Huojin » 21:05:52 Thursday, 11 February, 2016

"Final" BvS trailer. It's actually not that bad.

The good:
- Batman is a BAMF.
- Wonder Woman didn't say "there are no women like me" (thank fuck).
- That look on Supes face in the last shot.
- No more pictures of stupid fucking Doomsday.
- The trailers are increasingly convincing me they'll do a good job of making it plausible people dislike Supes. The "power corrupts," "he's too strong", "look what he did", "he's an alien", "fawning crowds" angle is doing it for me.
- Music is pretty cool, I guess?

The bad:
- Lex is still a moron.
- Why is Supes climbing in a bath tub in a suit.
- They're showing that Wonder Woman isn't thrown in right at the end, but she still feels super tacked-on to this whole thing.
- How the fuck are they gonna fit Cyborg, Aquaman, and the Flash in this overstuffed thing?

Also, observation from the opening fight - it's clear Bats is using suit enhancements in his regular/everyday suit, which is intriguing to me and I'm actually looking forward to.

And calling it now, in case it wasn't obvious from the get-go: Lex nudges/helps Bats into fighting Supes, provides him with shit to level the playing field a bit, shit doesn't work out, he makes Doomsday because fuck Supes+Bats bromance. Plus WW says hi. Though I really hope there's more to this field than that.

Also jesus, they're releasing this next month? How did they sneak up on me?

Cthulhuvong
Chaos God of Nation Simming

Postby Cthulhuvong » 03:50:47 Saturday, 27 February, 2016

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

"Sir, It is a well-known fact that young people are generally leftwing. It is also well-known that as people get older, they become more rightwing.
It is also a fact that, as people get older, their brain cells die at a faster and faster rate. I would therefore like to propose that conservatism be classified as a degenerative disease."
~letter to the Guardian, 1971

"I mean, being a freedom fighter, a…a force for good, it's…it's a wonderful thing. You get to make your own hours, looks good on a resume, but the pay…SUCKS."
~Alfred Bester, Babylon 5

Cthulhuvong

Postby Cthulhuvong » 16:41:15 Saturday, 27 February, 2016

Cthulhuvong wrote:

Oh yea, probably should have talked a bit about this. Besides the 2 Medal of Honor recipients, and the person "Lone Survivor" is based off, the writers, main actors, and many of the extras are all veterans. Hell, the guy who plays the President is a Vietnam vet (Captain who fought in the Tet Offensive). Plus the filmed the entire film in 15 days. Pretty interesting looking film.

"Sir, It is a well-known fact that young people are generally leftwing. It is also well-known that as people get older, they become more rightwing.
It is also a fact that, as people get older, their brain cells die at a faster and faster rate. I would therefore like to propose that conservatism be classified as a degenerative disease."

"I mean, being a freedom fighter, a…a force for good, it's…it's a wonderful thing. You get to make your own hours, looks good on a resume, but the pay…SUCKS."

Langben
What time is it?

Postby Langben » 08:17:36 Wednesday, 09 March, 2016

I choose hype.

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Huojin » 15:31:44 Wednesday, 09 March, 2016

I choose "I stopped watching GOT and don't really have plans to go back".

Langben
What time is it?

Postby Langben » 20:37:22 Thursday, 10 March, 2016

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Huojin » 23:54:28 Thursday, 10 March, 2016

So. This is interesting. Pity I've basically seen the whole film now though.

I don't necessarily buy Scarlet Witch beating Vision though, seems like they set up him as way powerful before and now they're trying to make that match-up believable.

And Spidey being the big news, I think he looks a little strange? They've clearly gone for the comic book aesthetic, but I don't think it's working.

scorpion
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Postby scorpion » 00:30:44 Friday, 11 March, 2016

Gahh! Spider man sounds like a 12 year old talking over VOIP in Call of Duty. I know he's young but, not pre-pubescent.
Metal Gear BoP-GM
1968 BoP-Yugoslavia

Cthulhuvong

Postby Cthulhuvong » 23:14:13 Friday, 11 March, 2016

Huojin wrote:So. This is interesting. Pity I've basically seen the whole film now though.

I don't necessarily buy Scarlet Witch beating Vision though, seems like they set up him as way powerful before and now they're trying to make that match-up believable.

And Spidey being the big news, I think he looks a little strange? They've clearly gone for the comic book aesthetic, but I don't think it's working.

Well in the Comics shes basically the most powerful being in the multiverse (House of M has her removing all but a few hundred Mutants across all realities). Her abilities in the movies were never really defined, and what we saw was basically an untrained Scarlet Witch.

Yea, not sure about the costume, as for the voice, if they're going early high school it works, if hes a senior, then no.

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Huojin » 19:26:32 Thursday, 12 May, 2016

Don't remember if I've linked this before, but anyone who likes films should check out this channel. The videos are exceptionally well done.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjFqcJ ... sxyFB-5i6A

Return to “Off Topic”