Films and Television

For off-topic, general discussion. Talk about pretty much anything.
Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Films and Television

Post by Huojin » 10:36:14 Thursday, 13 September, 2012

So I just heard of this film?

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt1327773/

Robin Williams as Ike, James Marsden as JFK, Alan Rickman as Reagan... I'm hoping for awesome.

TRC
"Molotov's own Jeremy Renner"

Re: Movies and Films

Post by TRC » 12:31:09 Thursday, 13 September, 2012

B-17's are my favorite plane (besides the go gotha 229) saw http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1558575/, i wanna rent it

Woody
Virescit vulnere virtus

Post by Woody » 15:40:09 Thursday, 13 September, 2012

TRC wrote:B-17's are my favorite plane (besides the go gotha 229) saw http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1558575/, i wanna rent it
http://www.1channel.ch/watch-2564995-Fortress

Done.
http://dmmclan.net/
Senātus Populusque Rōmānus

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 17:54:03 Thursday, 11 October, 2012

Anyone seen Looper yet? I'm going to see it tomorrow. It's pretty hyped.

RinKou
Jackbooted Swinelicker Fascist

Post by RinKou » 21:49:41 Thursday, 11 October, 2012

I don't want to change your opinion of it by saying anything. But:
This is kinda longShow
I thought I was watching a classic in the making. It was brutal, it was clever, it was that holy grail of things that made movies like Fight Club and Oldboy so great - it was witty and gritty in all the right proportions. There are just countless moments that stick out where I was just thinking, "This is really great story-telling, this is really great film-making." I was just completely blown away by the entire first act.

The world wasn't wholly original, no, and it did really drip with 'latest-trends-as-sci-fi-future', but all scifi does that to some extent.

Relevant Tangent:
SpoilerShow
If there's anything I can compare it to, it's Lana del Rey's Born to Die. It starts off good. The second track blows you away. Then it gets a little iffier, but it's still great, and then you get to what you were coming for - that bit that was all over the trailers, the single that you were promised. And it was every bit as good as you remember it. Maybe better. And then National Anthem comes on. And it's not all bad, it's just...like somebody took out all the parts that made her earlier songs so amazing, and then threw them all together in the shittiest way possible so it was most accessible. And then the rest of the album, despite its ups and downs (and there are a lot of ups), is just really...generic. Dark Paradise could've been anybody else's song. Carmen sounds like it'd be more at home on a Lady Gaga track. We came to love her because she was Nirvana with a cute face and a pretty voice. Because she was Garbage as a breath-taking solo act. It was grunge-meets-baroque-pop. And then she just gives us something anybody else could've done. It was still good, sure, but...it wasn't what we came here for. It wasn't what we came to expect from her earlier work.
It's over as soon as you see girly legs. And while the narration mostly only showed up in the set-up, this was really when the movie shifted tones. It went from this sarcastic narrator living a shit life in a shit world to standard Hollywood action-drama. It was, this whole time, unpredictable - and shaping up to be a great movie too. And then everything just gets...really generic. It's the best possible ending for the route it went down, don't get me wrong - and it's definitely good.

It's just so completely disappointing because it had the potential to be beyond great. It could have been a movie we'd be telling people to watch fifteen years from now. And the whole second half of it just delivered a movie that could have been made in any other setting and been a good movie there too. It didn't have to throw away this setting and everything that went into it for that.
Heartache by the Numbers: Caravan Master

If you say that prancing mailman of a GM is ever going to run the gangster game WELL THEN I SAY GOOD DAY SIR -oyid

I write things!
I post things!

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 17:20:05 Friday, 12 October, 2012

So having watched it, I basically agree with what you've said, RinKou. Things were going so well.
Not Really a Spoiler I GuessShow
But in particular, the ending just seemed kinda weak to me. Everything faded to white and I was left really unsatisfied, like "... so that's that?". People I went to see it with concurred with me.

So yeah. It's good, but not great, or what it's hyped up to be. Some reviews have said it's "this year's Matrix", but The Matrix is a film people will be watching in the coming decades. I'm not sure I'm likely to say to someone they should go back and watch Looper.

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Films and Television

Post by Huojin » 18:48:03 Friday, 12 October, 2012

Title-change! Television now joins Film!

Gesar and I figured out how the Scrubs characters and the forums relate.

JD - Gesar - It's name-related, plus "constant facetious daydreams" and other stuff.
Turk - Huojin - It's race-related, plus Guy love and other stuff.
Elliot - Coinneach - Crazy.
Cox - Goofy - Crazier, mentor-y, witty, etc.
Carla - Labine - Mothering figure? :3
Todd - BgKnight - Inability to spell + sexual innuendo
Ted - Flamelord - Because Ted :3
Kelso - Snacks - Cynicism + Compassion = Grandfatherly?
Janitor - Smyg - Crazy, fastidious, owns mop and navy jumpsuit.
Hooch - OYID - Hooch IS crazy.
Keith - Orago - Because everything is awesome.
Jordan - Aegis - "Jordan is portrayed to be sarcastic, vindictive, and cold ... does display loyalty towards friends." Some degrees more, others less, but mainly a nervous pooer.
Doug - zenburg - Useless until he found his knack, but cool regardless
Laverne - Tsaeb - Moral, nice guy, righteous, and Australian, so must love soap-operas.
Molly - RinKou - "perky and incredibly optimistic", "very intelligent and self-confident", and loves kielbasa.
Last edited by Huojin on 19:23:43 Friday, 12 October, 2012, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Reasons!

RinKou

Post by RinKou » 05:14:59 Saturday, 13 October, 2012

You son of a bitch. You know I love kielbasa.

If you say that prancing mailman of a GM is ever going to run the gangster game WELL THEN I SAY GOOD DAY SIR -oyid

I write things!
I post things!

Langben
What time is it?

Post by Langben » 06:51:45 Saturday, 13 October, 2012

First I'm a magical dream pimp, and now I'm the asshole king of sarcasm.

blanemcc
Anything but a fucking commie title

Post by blanemcc » 09:58:57 Saturday, 13 October, 2012

I'm not on there.... :(

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 13:22:11 Saturday, 13 October, 2012

Blane is... Mickhead. :3

OYID
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post by OYID » 04:29:40 Sunday, 14 October, 2012

I kind of wanted to disagree with you guys...
SpoilerShow
But I don't think I feel that much differently. Up until the diner shootout, I was 100% on board, but then we meet the Rainmaker, and it turns out he's Matilda (or Harry Potter, he even has a little door under the staircase). I'm not sure I agree that the first half was really all that great, but then again I don't agree with most people's love for The Matrix so what the fuck do I know.

I was also not as bothered by the final whiteness as most people seem to be. At that point, the movie had gone so far away from its original atmosphere and tone that they could have had a musical number and it wouldn't have been that big of a deal.

Hell, now I'm thinking they should close with a dance number.
1968 Aliens!: US of A.

Langben
What time is it?

Post by Langben » 07:45:56 Sunday, 14 October, 2012

Goddamn spoilers in here. Somebody give me a straight "Go/Don't Go See It" on Looper before I accidentally read one of these boxes.

RinKou

Post by RinKou » 08:05:51 Sunday, 14 October, 2012

Go see it.

I write things!
I post things!

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 00:44:56 Saturday, 10 November, 2012

Anyone seen Cloud Atlas? I understand that it was released in the US and Canada in October, but we don't get to see it in the UK until February for some reason. Probably because it's an independent film or something.
TrailerShow
I keep rewatching this and thinking it looks really good, if weird and not slightly confusing.

Return to “Off Topic”