Films and Television

For off-topic, general discussion. Talk about pretty much anything.
RinKou
Jackbooted Swinelicker Fascist

Re: Films and Television

Post by RinKou » 07:21:23 Friday, 13 May, 2016

Huojin wrote:Don't remember if I've linked this before, but anyone who likes films should check out this channel. The videos are exceptionally well done.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjFqcJ ... sxyFB-5i6A
Adore Tony Zhou. If you like his work, check out Lewis Criswell.
Heartache by the Numbers: Caravan Master

If you say that prancing mailman of a GM is ever going to run the gangster game WELL THEN I SAY GOOD DAY SIR -oyid

I write things!
I post things!

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 23:49:35 Friday, 13 May, 2016

RinKou wrote:
Huojin wrote:Don't remember if I've linked this before, but anyone who likes films should check out this channel. The videos are exceptionally well done.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjFqcJ ... sxyFB-5i6A
Adore Tony Zhou. If you like his work, check out Lewis Criswell.
I dig his stuff too, I'm subscribed but they both post so rarely!

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 01:43:56 Thursday, 26 May, 2016

Just saw Cap 3: Civil War, three main takeaways:

1) Team Iron Man forever
2) Cap is an ass in this film but they try to make it seem like he's not?
3) The film is also kinda bad

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 19:25:13 Friday, 22 July, 2016

I'm 8 months late, but The Big Short is a pretty good watch. It's amusing, serious, in-depth, and if everyone in the United States had watched it, maybe something would've changed in the world between then and now >_>

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 01:27:24 Sunday, 24 July, 2016

Still haven't seen BvS, fully aware nonetheless of 95% of the plot and a similar percentage of its total mediocrity. This teaser trailer though, looks pretty fucking tight. So I'll give them that they figured out how to make a trailer.

The Wonder Woman trailer is also pretty neat, but I'm way more interested in the JLA one. Here it is anyway.

Serenissima
England Expects Every Man Will Do His Duty

Post by Serenissima » 20:56:29 Saturday, 24 September, 2016

Went out to see The Siege of Jadotville in the cinema earlier today. UK and Irish release only, for now, but it'll be on Netflix. Good old Cold War Katanga action and the USA assassinating Dag.
"Imagine lies, and then write them down in order. That is literally all authors do!"

Metal Gear BoP: Japan
Saenwyn: Jace Kern, Duke of Tailledun
1800: Britain
1968A: Filthy Neutral Switzerland

Langben
What time is it?

Post by Langben » 06:35:33 Sunday, 25 September, 2016

Huojin wrote:Still haven't seen BvS, fully aware nonetheless of 95% of the plot and a similar percentage of its total mediocrity.
Here's one and a half minutes of the intro to spare you ever considering wasting your time. See if you can spot the part where I nearly walked out to get my money back.
Huojin wrote:Just saw Cap 3: Civil War, three main takeaways:

1) Team Iron Man forever
Caught the bluray recently. The tunnel chase was stunningly mediocre effects, I guess they just spent too much money on the cast.

Cap was his typical hard headed self, but Iron Man's insecurity kinda blew up into the worst possible scenario and betrayed everyone. I'm not sure why they'd leave him in charge of anything after all that.

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 12:01:36 Sunday, 25 September, 2016

Langben wrote:
Huojin wrote:Still haven't seen BvS, fully aware nonetheless of 95% of the plot and a similar percentage of its total mediocrity.
Here's one and a half minutes of the intro to spare you ever considering wasting your time. See if you can spot the part where I nearly walked out to get my money back.
You're like a month too late. I know the bit you mean though, it's pretty fuckin' stupid. I saw the Ultimate Edition though, which really was just a longer subpar experience. Still, with people saying how it improved the theatrical cut I don't want to imagine how bad that was.
Langben wrote:
Huojin wrote:Just saw Cap 3: Civil War, three main takeaways:

1) Team Iron Man forever
Caught the bluray recently. The tunnel chase was stunningly mediocre effects, I guess they just spent too much money on the cast.

Cap was his typical hard headed self, but Iron Man's insecurity kinda blew up into the worst possible scenario and betrayed everyone. I'm not sure why they'd leave him in charge of anything after all that.
I can't get over how mediocre this film was either. Still, at least we might finally get a decent Spiderman series out of it. Still got love for Tobey Maguire though.

People are excited for Black Panther too, but I'm not optimistic about it. Not least because Chadwick Boseman has said the same three lines about the Panther character in every interview I've ever seen him in talking about it. Like I know you get talking points, but the guy doesn't feel like the "carry a huge franchise film" type to me. Happy to be proven wrong, but y'know.

Also maybe it's because I'm a huge sell out to The Man, but I kinda don't see much of what Iron Man did wrong.

Langben
What time is it?

Post by Langben » 09:01:19 Monday, 26 September, 2016

Huojin wrote: You're like a month too late.
Yeah, I'm pretty good at that.
Huojin wrote: I can't get over how mediocre this film was either. Still, at least we might finally get a decent Spiderman series out of it. Still got love for Tobey Maguire though.

People are excited for Black Panther too, but I'm not optimistic about it. ...the guy doesn't feel like the "carry a huge franchise film" type to me. Happy to be proven wrong, but y'know.
Yeah, not feeling it from either of these. Doesn't help that Marvel has relegated black heroes to sidekick-tier.
Also maybe it's because I'm a huge sell out to The Man, but I kinda don't see much of what Iron Man did wrong.
He put all his friends in jail, made his most powerful creation cripple his best friend, all of this to a chorus of "I told you so" from everyone who saw his crippling insecurity coming to a head. The thing with his mother wasn't as bad as "MARTHA", but he literally works with someone who specializes in mind control and is too butthurt to process that a deep breath or two might save him from punching up the wrong guys for once in the movie.

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 15:21:49 Monday, 26 September, 2016

OKAY SO WE'VE FORGOTTEN TO DO SPOILER TAGS BUT NEEDLESS TO SAY, DON'T READ THIS SHIT IF YOU DIDN'T WATCH THE FILM.
Langben wrote:
He put all his friends in jail, made his most powerful creation cripple his best friend, all of this to a chorus of "I told you so" from everyone who saw his crippling insecurity coming to a head. The thing with his mother wasn't as bad as "MARTHA", but he literally works with someone who specializes in mind control and is too butthurt to process that a deep breath or two might save him from punching up the wrong guys for once in the movie.
Put his friends in jail after they were huge dickheads. Hell I'd throw all you guys in jail too if you tried to defy international law designed to regulate... weird forum games or something, I guess? I dunno, point is, y'all goin' down.

And Vision made a mistake, it wasn't Tony's doing. Plus all black hero sidekicks look alike, c'mon.

Also Cap was totally on the wrong side of the Tony-Bucky thing. How d'you keep that shit secret and expect nothing bad to come from it? The dude brutally murdered his parents in cold blood (mind controlled or not), and he had to watch the video records of that shit. Not to mention that the only words he ever says in Bucky's defence are "he's muh fraaaaand". You wanna talk about Scarlet Witch and mind control, why is it never brought up that "oh he's totally being mind controlled, let's may not be hasty"?

Meanwhile in the immediate aftermath of blowing up a hotel full of innocents, Cap wants to reject the idea of any oversight for the Avengers at all? Cap's unwillingness to compromise or be honest causes pretty much the entire conflict of the film. He's the imbecile of his own film.

Langben
What time is it?

Post by Langben » 20:19:10 Monday, 26 September, 2016

Huojin wrote:OKAY SO WE'VE FORGOTTEN TO DO SPOILER TAGS BUT NEEDLESS TO SAY, DON'T READ THIS SHIT IF YOU DIDN'T WATCH THE FILM.
Crap, I'm on a roll.

SPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERS

Put his friends in jail after they were huge dickheads. Hell I'd throw all you guys in jail too if you tried to defy international law designed to regulate... weird forum games or something, I guess? I dunno, point is, y'all goin' down.
Cap's last movie they had to implode their defacto government handlers because it was all Nazis. Throw that cherry on top of the government's ineptitude/abuse trying to regulate Iron Man and Hulk, and it's not surprising that the Avengers are leaning decidedly towards "small government".
Vision made a mistake, it wasn't Tony's doing.
It's sort of allegorical to the broader story. Stark is good results born of bad process.

IM 1: Upset with his weapons industry, he escalates by creating the most potent personal weapons system ever.
IM 2: Faced with competition again, he haphazardly distributes his advantage (immediately pays for that mistake with Warmachine hacked) and then escalates his stuff again.
Avengers: Escalation completely blows past Stark, he's forced into another haphazard alliance. He beats Cap to the punch in distrusting SHIELD, but they diverge wildly from here.
IM 3/Winter Soldier/Ultron: Back to escalation. More suits = dead end. Upgrade haphazard allies at SHIELD = almost made to pay again (never held accountable for this in films because it would expose how out of it his approach has become). Ultron he goes for broke and escalates with AI+Space magic (near instant regret) and after pissing everybody off he doubles down and gets bailed out by lawful perfect Vision.

The fact that Stark is ultimately the one who is too focused on his target and doesn't account for collateral is intentional. If Banner saw Stark playing good cop to Colonel Buzzcut's bad cop, he'd Hulk backhand him into low orbit. That shit ain't never worked, but Stark is the king of recycling bad ideas.
Also Cap was totally on the wrong side of the Tony-Bucky thing. How d'you keep that shit secret and expect nothing bad to come from it? The dude brutally murdered his parents in cold blood (mind controlled or not), and he had to watch the video records of that shit. Not to mention that the only words he ever says in Bucky's defence are "he's muh fraaaaand". You wanna talk about Scarlet Witch and mind control, why is it never brought up that "oh he's totally being mind controlled, let's may not be hasty"?

Meanwhile in the immediate aftermath of blowing up a hotel full of innocents, Cap wants to reject the idea of any oversight for the Avengers at all? Cap's unwillingness to compromise or be honest causes pretty much the entire conflict of the film. He's the imbecile of his own film.
There's an element of forced stupidity to that, and when Cap initially starts punching out cops in the big chase. Cap probably did Stark dirty with "I didn't tell you about your parents because drama" trope, but Stark has been careening towards a global-threat fuck up for a while and keeping him stable probably wasn't a terrible goal.

Right now they're pretty perfectly positioned to get their shit slapped by Thanos, regroup and get the band back together, and then have their ultimate showdown of ultimate destiny.

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 18:21:47 Saturday, 08 October, 2016

Trailer for the Breakfast Club sequel is out.

Langben
What time is it?

Post by Langben » 10:09:53 Sunday, 09 October, 2016

Matrix sequel reboot

Master of Oblivion
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Master of Oblivion » 08:40:54 Tuesday, 11 October, 2016

Guys!

They made Katanga: the movie!

http://www.dailynews.com/arts-and-enter ... n-conflict
Louisiana: Edmond Lavaeu
Gesar's Game: Hoping We don't leave the magic fantasy land
1990: Israel
Metal Gear: Iran
Aliens!: USSR
New Vegas: Salvador

You either die Fo'Dolo or see yourself live long enough to be the Patton.

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 14:43:26 Saturday, 22 October, 2016

Return to “Off Topic”