Video Games and Interactive Fiction General

For off-topic, general discussion. Talk about pretty much anything.
OYID
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Video Games and Interactive Fiction General

Post by OYID » 20:47:10 Wednesday, 21 November, 2012

I was looking for a general video game thread and found nothing, so I'll just make one and post this here.

Dishonored is awesome, people, it really is. It's like Deus Ex meets Bioshock in a Steampunk place. This does not mean, however, that the setting is your typical "late Eighteenth Century but with moar steam". There's heavy British themes, to be sure, but the setting is distinct enough to be its own thing. If you're a pack rat like me who goes through every drawer and cupboard, there are lots and lots of lore to be read and it really paints a bigger picture of an interesting world I would love to see expanded upon. Sadly, there's still a silly morality system(I don't like morality systems, just tell a good story and let me decide how I feel about it), but it's handled better than in most games that include it (MINOR SPOILER: the city changes if you're evil, becoming darker and more infested with rats and zombies, which are another complaint I have). Swordfighting is a blast, but certainly not the only way to go, as levels can be cleared in different manners suiting diferent character builds and playstyles, something that I find to be pretty awesome. There's not much of a story, tbh, but that's not really the appeal: the mere fact of playing the game is so fun one can forgive the hokey characters and telegraphed plot twists. Once you get used to blinking around a level, the world is your explosive, treasure-laden oyster.

There's also evil sewer vagina monsters that spit acid. I don't know, either.
1968 Aliens!: US of A.

TRC
"Molotov's own Jeremy Renner"

Re: Video Games General

Post by TRC » 01:45:57 Thursday, 22 November, 2012

Black ops II is the shit. I havent played multiplayer yet, so it'd a damn game. Zombies is fucking amazing. Its absolutely great.

Woody
Virescit vulnere virtus

Post by Woody » 04:48:34 Thursday, 22 November, 2012

So i just bought myself a 42" 1080p LCD HD TV. I have been without a console for years (lost them all to my step-brother when my step-mom & dad divorced.)

Was looking to to get a console again. What can people suggest... Xbox 360 or PS3?
http://dmmclan.net/
Senātus Populusque Rōmānus

Langben
What time is it?

Post by Langben » 05:05:27 Thursday, 22 November, 2012

Woody wrote:So i just bought myself a 42" 1080p LCD HD TV. I have been without a console for years (lost them all to my step-brother when my step-mom & dad divorced.)

Was looking to to get a console again. What can people suggest... Xbox 360 or PS3?
Do you like Japanese exclusive titles, or have a strong aversion to paying trumped up monthly fees for the online experience? Go PS3.

Do you prefer avoiding Sony™ "wonky hardware" problems, like poor porting and terrible DLC delays/bugs? Pick up the Xbox.

Tsaeb XIII
Not an Urso-Maoist

Post by Tsaeb XIII » 11:47:53 Thursday, 22 November, 2012

Woody wrote:So i just bought myself a 42" 1080p LCD HD TV. I have been without a console for years (lost them all to my step-brother when my step-mom & dad divorced.)

I've been in the Xbox camp basically since it was released, so I'll admit in advance that I'm not entirely unbiased here. Xbox Live isn't prohibitively expensive, and from what I've read it's a better service overall than PSN so, ya know, you get what you pay for. Loving Halo 4 as well, so that certainly doesn't hurt the pro-Xbox argument. That being said, at the end of the day you're probably best off looking at the list of exclusive games for each console and deciding which ones you'd prefer to have access to - technically they'll both do the job.
Game I: Republic of Indonesia
Game II: French Third Republic
Game III: Abibaal the Sailor

Balance of Power 1981: State of Israel
Battle for Anfan: Yizhou Clique
World War II BoP: Commonwealth of Australia

scorpion
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post by scorpion » 14:13:35 Thursday, 22 November, 2012

I have an Xbox and a PS3. I find myself liking the PS3 much better because of the graphic quality and the fact that the online portion is free and not superscription base like Xbox. In my mind when comparing the two the PS3 has more, and better exclusives. Xbox only has two main exclusives worth getting and that is Gears of War and Halo. Other then that there isn't anything. PS3 has Killzone,God Of War,Metal Gear Solid,Uncharted and Resistance.

So it comes down to Xbox; subscription based online,limited exclusives, poor graphics, cheaper price vs PS3; more exlusives, free online, better graphics, a little more expensive.

With your job you'd be able to float the ps3 easily so why settle for less?

of course you could just save your money and by computer parts :D
Metal Gear BoP-GM
1936 BoP-Nazi Germany

Orago
I Am that Is

Post by Orago » 14:30:01 Thursday, 22 November, 2012

I hope to get a PS3 soon, as I need it for http://www.dust514.org/

The selling point for me was being set in the EVE universe, and I am an EVE Online player.

Woody
Virescit vulnere virtus

Post by Woody » 17:21:37 Thursday, 22 November, 2012

scorpion wrote:

I have an Xbox and a PS3. I find myself liking the PS3 much better because of the graphic quality and the fact that the online portion is free and not superscription base like Xbox. In my mind when comparing the two the PS3 has more, and better exclusives. Xbox only has two main exclusives worth getting and that is Gears of War and Halo. Other then that there isn't anything. PS3 has Killzone,God Of War,Metal Gear Solid,Uncharted and Resistance.

So it comes down to Xbox; subscription based online,limited exclusives, poor graphics, cheaper price vs PS3; more exlusives, free online, better graphics, a little more expensive.

With your job you'd be able to float the ps3 easily so why settle for less?

of course you could just save your money and by computer parts :D
Honestly.... I'm liking the Xbox a tad more. I like the controller setup better and the fact that you can do 4-player. Initially i was just looking for something to do when i'm bored of PC and to entertain guests when they come over. Since most of the time i have a bunch of girls over... i would have to find some crowd-pleaser games like rock band or w/e. Some of the sales guys i've spoken to at Best Buy and Walmart like both but they too prefer Xbox. My co-worker uses the PS3 and she is a die hard fan of it. But she likes all that Jap shit. But swears to it that the PS3 has better picture quality and a Blue-Ray player.

Orago wrote:I hope to get a PS3 soon, as I need it for http://www.dust514.org/

The selling point for me was being set in the EVE universe, and I am an EVE Online player.
No SHIT!?!?!

That's all i've been playing lately. My Alliance/Corp is recruiting corps and pilots right now. I'm apart of the command staff. We have about 12 corps in the alliance now and run a teamspeak. I run two accounts, my main character is "W Anzomi". We are sorta EU timezone heavy right now. Most of the guys are from England, Scotland and Denmark, but i have recruited about 14 USA pilots.

OYID
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post by OYID » 18:27:15 Thursday, 22 November, 2012

Xbox guy over here, and I think you should also consider games available online in the Xbox Live Arcade and the PSN. Two of my favorite games, Castle Crashers (available on both networks) and Psychonauts (Live Arcade exclusive), were downloaded online, so that's also something to take into account (though we may lose on that front, as the PSN has Journey and the Pixeljunk series).

Tsaeb XIII
Not an Urso-Maoist

Post by Tsaeb XIII » 23:38:52 Thursday, 22 November, 2012

Woody wrote:I like the controller setup better
This is actually a surprisingly influential part of why I prefer the Xbox - I've never quite felt comfortable with any of the PlayStation controllers, whereas the Xbox controller feels far more natural to use.

TRC
"Molotov's own Jeremy Renner"

Post by TRC » 01:48:48 Friday, 23 November, 2012

OYID wrote:Xbox guy over here, and I think you should also consider games available online in the Xbox Live Arcade and the PSN. Two of my favorite games, Castle Crashers (available on both networks) and Psychonauts (Live Arcade exclusive), were downloaded online, so that's also something to take into account (though we may lose on that front, as the PSN has Journey and the Pixeljunk series).
What is you Xbox live gamertag. I'll pm you mine if you send yours back

Orago
I Am that Is

Post by Orago » 21:32:40 Friday, 23 November, 2012

http://www.planetside2.com/ is what I have been playing recently. It was released shortly ago, so there are bugs and such, but I've enjoyed the game so far.

Woody
Virescit vulnere virtus

Post by Woody » 21:49:33 Friday, 23 November, 2012

So does anyone else here play EVE?

I just made a 3rd account. It's got me hooked man.

OYID
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post by OYID » 00:26:32 Saturday, 24 November, 2012

First mission in Black Ops 2: you fight in Angola alongside Savimbi. I'm at a friend's, so I'll be polite.

Tsaeb XIII
Not an Urso-Maoist

Post by Tsaeb XIII » 11:05:20 Saturday, 24 November, 2012

Finally getting around to the Mass Effect 3 DLC, then I've got Dragon Age 2 DLC and the entirety of Skyrim to get through - yeah, uni's left me with a bit of a game backlog.

Return to “Off Topic”