Video Games and Interactive Fiction General

For off-topic, general discussion. Talk about pretty much anything.
Huojin
Designated Shitposter
Designated Shitposter

Re: Video Games and Interactive Fiction General

Postby Huojin » 18:58:39 Thursday, 12 May, 2016

The real question is, CVong... did you crush or no? :P
The Gesarist Manifesto, chapter 5 opening foreword wrote:"The guerrilla must move like a fish in the sea, namely by drinking until you can delude yourself into hoping rich bastards will be gone one day."

• Louisiana 1792: Fils de la Révolution - GM/Author
  • Balance of Power: 1968 - Iraqi Republic
  • Saenwyn: A Song of Ashes - Corentin of House Tremayne, King of Saenwyn and Defender of the Realm

(excuse me while I blow my own trumpet)

Smyg the slow-running Louisiana
Smyg is pretty much the storytelling epic
Smyg of this century
Smyg Huojin is writing the Great American Novel and it's not even American

Cthulhuvong
Chaos God of Nation Simming

Postby Cthulhuvong » 21:38:28 Thursday, 12 May, 2016

Huojin wrote:The real question is, CVong... did you crush or no? :P

You mean KKND? Krush Kill aNd Destroy (which was an awesome game back in the day)? Nah, we only played like an hour so we didn't get to that point. The other two were having trouble finding planets, while I was having really no troubles at all (was keeping the enemies boxed in while expanding away). By the time we saved I had 5 planets and they only had 3 each.

Someone has tested this and you can join each other from across regions, so we're ok for now. I'll try to set up a Steam group later and give you guys the info.
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

"Sir, It is a well-known fact that young people are generally leftwing. It is also well-known that as people get older, they become more rightwing.
It is also a fact that, as people get older, their brain cells die at a faster and faster rate. I would therefore like to propose that conservatism be classified as a degenerative disease."
~letter to the Guardian, 1971

"I mean, being a freedom fighter, a…a force for good, it's…it's a wonderful thing. You get to make your own hours, looks good on a resume, but the pay…SUCKS."
~Alfred Bester, Babylon 5

Cthulhuvong

Postby Cthulhuvong » 16:23:22 Friday, 13 May, 2016

So I made a Steam group for this, "Festum Botulia". If my Latin is right thats roughly "Sausage Fest". Join it so we can get working.

"Sir, It is a well-known fact that young people are generally leftwing. It is also well-known that as people get older, they become more rightwing.
It is also a fact that, as people get older, their brain cells die at a faster and faster rate. I would therefore like to propose that conservatism be classified as a degenerative disease."

"I mean, being a freedom fighter, a…a force for good, it's…it's a wonderful thing. You get to make your own hours, looks good on a resume, but the pay…SUCKS."

Huojin
Designated Shitposter
Designated Shitposter

Postby Huojin » 21:04:12 Friday, 13 May, 2016

Cthulhuvong wrote:So I made a Steam group for this, "Festum Botulia". If my Latin is right thats roughly "Sausage Fest". Join it so we can get working.

Might actually be "Festum Botuli". Not quite sure where botulia comes from, since botulus is a second declension masculine noun and would form in the genitive case as botuli.

Botulus is also vulgar though, I think "farcimen" is the standard, classic Latin. It'd form farciminis though, it's third declension neuter.

Festum seems right though - second declension neutral, singular nominative.

tl;dr - Festum Farciminis. I think.
The Gesarist Manifesto, chapter 5 opening foreword wrote:"The guerrilla must move like a fish in the sea, namely by drinking until you can delude yourself into hoping rich bastards will be gone one day."

• Saenwyn: A Song of Ashes - Corentin of House Tremayne, King of Saenwyn and Defender of the Realm

Smyg of this century

Cthulhuvong

Postby Cthulhuvong » 22:40:56 Friday, 13 May, 2016

Huojin wrote:
Cthulhuvong wrote:So I made a Steam group for this, "Festum Botulia". If my Latin is right thats roughly "Sausage Fest". Join it so we can get working.

Might actually be "Festum Botuli". Not quite sure where botulia comes from, since botulus is a second declension masculine noun and would form in the genitive case as botuli.

Botulus is also vulgar though, I think "farcimen" is the standard, classic Latin. It'd form farciminis though, it's third declension neuter.

Festum seems right though - second declension neutral, singular nominative.

tl;dr - Festum Farciminis. I think.

I chose the "-ia" because many ancient Roman festivals used the same suffix ("Bacchanalia" for example). As for botulus vs farcimen: when has the mention of a "sausage fest" not in some way meant something sexual (aka "men only" or "no women here"), and thus in today's society "vulgar"?

Cthulhuvong

Postby Cthulhuvong » 22:51:22 Friday, 13 May, 2016

Also, I made the group public, search for botulia or festum botulia to find it.

I'll make a sign in thread for everyone to sign, this way we keep out the rif-raf.

Here is the url if you need it: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/botulia

Huojin
Designated Shitposter
Designated Shitposter

Postby Huojin » 23:21:09 Friday, 13 May, 2016

Cthulhuvong wrote:I chose the "-ia" because many ancient Roman festivals used the same suffix ("Bacchanalia" for example). As for botulus vs farcimen: when has the mention of a "sausage fest" not in some way meant something sexual (aka "men only" or "no women here"), and thus in today's society "vulgar"?

Bacchanalia comes from "Bacchanalis", which is an adjective for "relating to Bacchus". So too for most of the Roman festivals, at least the ones I can recall. Lupercalia for Lupercus, etc.

The words for "sausage fest" are both nouns, so it doesn't quite apply here. Also "vulgar" means the common speech in terms of Latin, rather than what it means in English. So no, not quite CVong :P

I could dig out some reference material and turn whichever word for sausage we want into a proper adjectival form, and it may well just be similar to "Botulia", but it would almost certainly, if you intended to keep to the Roman-esque festival naming customs, do away with "festum". As a warning, or whatever. Y'know.

Smyg of this century

Cthulhuvong

Postby Cthulhuvong » 05:30:19 Saturday, 14 May, 2016

Huojin wrote:
Cthulhuvong wrote:I chose the "-ia" because many ancient Roman festivals used the same suffix ("Bacchanalia" for example). As for botulus vs farcimen: when has the mention of a "sausage fest" not in some way meant something sexual (aka "men only" or "no women here"), and thus in today's society "vulgar"?

Bacchanalia comes from "Bacchanalis", which is an adjective for "relating to Bacchus". So too for most of the Roman festivals, at least the ones I can recall. Lupercalia for Lupercus, etc.

The words for "sausage fest" are both nouns, so it doesn't quite apply here. Also "vulgar" means the common speech in terms of Latin, rather than what it means in English. So no, not quite CVong :P

I could dig out some reference material and turn whichever word for sausage we want into a proper adjectival form, and it may well just be similar to "Botulia", but it would almost certainly, if you intended to keep to the Roman-esque festival naming customs, do away with "festum". As a warning, or whatever. Y'know.

Meh, its more because 2 people offered names, one was "Sausage Fest" and the other was a bad translation for "Glorious Bastards" which came closer to "Glorious Adulteresses". So I took the first one and semi-Latinized it.

Cthulhuvong

Postby Cthulhuvong » 02:05:37 Sunday, 15 May, 2016

Just did a test game with 5 players (4 across the US and 1 in UK). Honestly, we played too long, at least 6+ hours. I forgot to feed my cat. It was fun.

Coin
Mise, Pangur Bán agus PILOT WHALES

Postby Coin » 18:25:56 Sunday, 22 May, 2016

I can also concur that Stellaris is fantastic. Been playing a game as the Commonwealth of Man. Purge the xenos! Except when they are in danger of ganging up on us...

1 war, 3 xenocides and a colonial rush in the outer rim with our froggy neighbours the Rothak later, I'm a) surprised im still alive and b) contemplating an aar for the creative writing forum... :D

Serenissima
(Not) Molotov's Favourite Psychic Schoolgirl

Postby Serenissima » 09:15:16 Monday, 23 May, 2016

I was given that, but it'll have to wait until I'm home from Ireland and got my PC.
"Imagine lies, and then write them down in order. That is literally all authors do!"

Louisiana: Antoine d'Ailly, captain of Sorcière, commodore of the Marine de l'Assemblée
Metal Gear BoP: Japan
Saenwyn: Jace Kern, Duke of Tailledun
1968: French Fifth Republic

Huojin
Designated Shitposter
Designated Shitposter

Postby Huojin » 20:45:17 Monday, 30 May, 2016

https://soldat.pl/en/

Saw some gameplay, looked pretty fun. It's multiplayer, anyone wanna play? :3

Smyg of this century

Master of Oblivion
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Master of Oblivion » 06:33:57 Friday, 08 July, 2016

Should I start up a new game in Atilla or in Medieval II?
GM of 1898
Louisiana: Edmond Lavaeu
1968: USSR

You either die Fo'Dolo or see yourself live long enough to be the Patton.

Huojin
Designated Shitposter
Designated Shitposter

Postby Huojin » 22:34:03 Thursday, 21 July, 2016

Smyg of this century

Huojin
Designated Shitposter
Designated Shitposter

Postby Huojin » 23:04:19 Sunday, 11 September, 2016

https://secrethitler.online/

Anyone fancy a game of secret hitler? We can meet/organise on IRC.

Smyg of this century

Return to “Off Topic”