Video Games and Interactive Fiction General

For off-topic, general discussion. Talk about pretty much anything.
Smyg
GETTIN' REAL TIRED OF YOUR MACHIAVELLIAN BULLSHIT, GESAR

Re: Video Games General

Post by Smyg » 11:08:26 Saturday, 24 November, 2012

I need to somehow make the money to buy all (significant, story-wise) DA:O and DA2 DLC, and then do a single, comprehensive playthrough. Only then will I be ready for DA3 :P

Langben
What time is it?

Post by Langben » 11:54:24 Saturday, 24 November, 2012

Smyg wrote:I need to somehow make the money to buy all (significant, story-wise) DA:O and DA2 DLC, and then do a single, comprehensive playthrough. Only then will I be ready for DA3 :P
Did you like DA2? Something put me off about it early on, even before release when everybody started freaking out. Then I spent a few hours watching a friend play and it just cemented all those nasty feelings I was getting about it.

I've got another character to bring up through ME3, but I'm putting that off after a some solid months on it's multiplayer mode. Still plenty of dungeons left to spelunk in Skyrim and I'm putting in my time blasting face in Halo 4's matchmaking.

Smyg
GETTIN' REAL TIRED OF YOUR MACHIAVELLIAN BULLSHIT, GESAR

Post by Smyg » 11:56:42 Saturday, 24 November, 2012

I absolutely adore DA2. Not because of the game itself, which can be clunky, repetative, and rather boring, but because I'm a total sucker for Bioware's story and characters.

Huojin
General Secretary
General Secretary

Post by Huojin » 17:01:52 Saturday, 24 November, 2012

Orago wrote:http://www.planetside2.com/ is what I have been playing recently. It was released shortly ago, so there are bugs and such, but I've enjoyed the game so far.
So I just downloaded this, it looked like it could be interesting, but it's kinda sucky. At least from my point of view. It seems really unresponsive and difficult to aim. And my screen suddenly started going see through and blank so I couldn't see a thing.

OYID
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post by OYID » 21:13:06 Saturday, 24 November, 2012

Smyg wrote:I absolutely adore DA2. Not because of the game itself, which can be clunky, repetative, and rather boring, but because I'm a total sucker for Bioware's story and characters.
I've been a Bioware junkie since KOTOR, but that game really blew. After the last few games, I'm not too excited for part three. They also mentioned they're basing it greatly on player feedback, which sounds like a terrible idea.
I am Fidel Castro and we have come to liberate Cuba.

Orago
I Am that Is

Post by Orago » 22:45:58 Saturday, 24 November, 2012

Huojin wrote:
Orago wrote:http://www.planetside2.com/ is what I have been playing recently. It was released shortly ago, so there are bugs and such, but I've enjoyed the game so far.
So I just downloaded this, it looked like it could be interesting, but it's kinda sucky. At least from my point of view. It seems really unresponsive and difficult to aim. And my screen suddenly started going see through and blank so I couldn't see a thing.
A lot of people have technical issues with the game. Hopefully those will be resolved sometime soon. I play the game with smooth fps in all but the most heavy firefights on medium settings.

Orago
I Am that Is

Post by Orago » 01:06:29 Sunday, 25 November, 2012

Europa Universalis 4 is coming out soon. That makes me so excited.

Coin
Mise, Pangur Bán agus PILOT WHALES

Post by Coin » 09:46:01 Tuesday, 27 November, 2012

So a few years - probably more than a few, I'm getting old - I bought a cheapy cheapy copy of X2 The Threat. It never worked :(

But now I have found it again, and with the super-duper new computer, have been playing it. God its awesome. Its like Freelancer, but so much better. :mrgreen:

Orago
I Am that Is

Post by Orago » 13:39:11 Tuesday, 27 November, 2012

Coinneach wrote:So a few years - probably more than a few, I'm getting old - I bought a cheapy cheapy copy of X2 The Threat. It never worked :(

But now I have found it again, and with the super-duper new computer, have been playing it. God its awesome. Its like Freelancer, but so much better. :mrgreen:
There is an X3 and numerous expansions for it.

Coin
Mise, Pangur Bán agus PILOT WHALES

Post by Coin » 21:40:59 Tuesday, 27 November, 2012

Indeed, but I am a stinge :3

Huojin
General Secretary
General Secretary

Post by Huojin » 18:54:01 Friday, 07 December, 2012

I've been asking on IRC, but no joy.

Does anyone here have Assassin's Creed III or has played the previous two? I'm thinking about buying AC3, but I haven't played any of the other games.

scorpion
Chairman
Chairman

Post by scorpion » 23:36:03 Friday, 07 December, 2012

Huojin wrote:I've been asking on IRC, but no joy.

Does anyone here have Assassin's Creed III or has played the previous two? I'm thinking about buying AC3, but I haven't played any of the other games.

Brotherhood and Revelations were really good. i have the third but haven't gotten around to playing it yet
Metal Gear BoP-GM
1936 BoP-Nazi Germany
1971 BoP-France

Huojin
General Secretary
General Secretary

Post by Huojin » 23:44:33 Friday, 07 December, 2012

scorpion wrote:

Brotherhood and Revelations were really good. i have the third but haven't gotten around to playing it yet
Will I get it if I just get AC3? Or do you really need the background?

scorpion
Chairman
Chairman

Post by scorpion » 00:14:55 Saturday, 08 December, 2012

Huojin wrote:
scorpion wrote:

Will I get it if I just get AC3? Or do you really need the background?

Like i said, i haven't played AC3 yet but i got the others for that purpose. the storyline is tricky
Metal Gear BoP-GM
1936 BoP-Nazi Germany
1971 BoP-France

Langben
What time is it?

Post by Langben » 04:49:51 Saturday, 08 December, 2012

Huojin wrote:Will I get it if I just get AC3? Or do you really need the background?
I'm going to guess you will need the previous games. The over-arching plot is light enough in the first game, but at the end of AC2 and through it's expansions, shit goes WAY SIDEWAYS. Don't want to spoil anything because it's kind of neat when it happens, but I can only imagine jumping in at any point after AC2 would be confusing at best, if not outright absurd. I've played all but the last two releases (AC3 and AC2:Revelations), and I'd recommend getting the earlier ones if you're able.

AC1 can get a little painful to get through with some dry and repetitive mechanics, but it does the best job of giving you a target and freeing you tackle things however you want. Later games tend to push you to do things a certain way, for better or worse.

AC2 is easily a must-play. Uniform improvements to gameplay, better characters and just more fun across the board. If you can only get one of these games, AC2 is it. Brotherhood/Revelations build on the gameplay, but the plots and actual missions tended to railroad you through set pieces instead of just giving you the tools and letting you have at it, which is where the game is at it's best.

Return to “Off Topic”