Interesting Things

For off-topic, general discussion. Talk about pretty much anything.
User avatar
Master of Oblivion
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 752
Joined: 02:29:10 Tuesday, 07 August, 2012

Re: Interesting Things

Post by Master of Oblivion » 06:20:53 Tuesday, 05 April, 2016

Huojin wrote:So Reddit's got this weird April Fools thing with exponentially growing chatrooms? It's pretty bizarre, anyone had a play around with it?
Link?
1990: Israel
Metal Gear: Iran
New Vegas: Salvador
Brazil: Proletarian Unification Party
1936: Empire of Japan
1971: China
Kaiserreich: CSA
You either die Fo'Dolo or see yourself live long enough to be the Patton.

Huojin
General Secretary
General Secretary
Posts: 3287
Joined: 07:30:29 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

Re: Interesting Things

Post by Huojin » 15:38:29 Tuesday, 05 April, 2016

Master of Oblivion wrote:
Huojin wrote:So Reddit's got this weird April Fools thing with exponentially growing chatrooms? It's pretty bizarre, anyone had a play around with it?
Link?
You need a reddit account, and then in your profile there's a red button you press to get into it.

Huojin
General Secretary
General Secretary
Posts: 3287
Joined: 07:30:29 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

Re: Interesting Things

Post by Huojin » 17:11:46 Sunday, 10 April, 2016

https://vimeo.com/128373915

Video about WWII deaths, pretty interesting putting things into perspective, particularly the latter sections comparing to modern wars. Very professionally put together, worth checking out.

User avatar
RinKou
Jackbooted Swinelicker Fascist
Posts: 843
Joined: 06:18:32 Wednesday, 08 August, 2012
Location: OC, CA
Contact:

Re: Interesting Things

Post by RinKou » 03:54:27 Monday, 02 May, 2016

Does anyone still play CKII?
SpoilerShow
Check out the loser who won't shell out for Mongol Faces DLC
Heartache by the Numbers: Caravan Master

If you say that prancing mailman of a GM is ever going to run the gangster game WELL THEN I SAY GOOD DAY SIR -oyid

I write things!
I post things!

Huojin
General Secretary
General Secretary
Posts: 3287
Joined: 07:30:29 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

Re: Interesting Things

Post by Huojin » 15:42:34 Monday, 02 May, 2016

RinKou wrote:Does anyone still play CKII?
SpoilerShow
Check out the loser who won't shell out for Mongol Faces DLC
Christ, this man is a machine. I won't lie, I got lost a couple of times trying to figure out the switcheroo-ing in the early game stage, but damn. Daaaaammmnnn.

Huojin
General Secretary
General Secretary
Posts: 3287
Joined: 07:30:29 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

Re: Interesting Things

Post by Huojin » 20:44:41 Thursday, 02 June, 2016

https://vimeo.com/166807261

An interesting video on the idea of a world where the virtual world and reality are more intermixed - a kind of dystopian end point of augmented reality. Worth watching, it's pretty good.

User avatar
Coin
Mise, Pangur Bán agus PILOT WHALES
Posts: 1472
Joined: 14:15:01 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

Re: Interesting Things

Post by Coin » 16:40:16 Monday, 29 August, 2016

https://www.facebook.com/joensen.heri/v ... nref=story

Nice answer to all the nutters who occasionally start kicking up a fuss about Faroese community whale hunting.
KR: Unie van Suid-Afrika
MG BoP: Medīnat Yisrā'el
V4: Kormákr Thorbrandsson

Huojin
General Secretary
General Secretary
Posts: 3287
Joined: 07:30:29 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

Re: Interesting Things

Post by Huojin » 18:26:50 Monday, 29 August, 2016

Coin wrote:https://www.facebook.com/joensen.heri/v ... nref=story

Nice answer to all the nutters who occasionally start kicking up a fuss about Faroese community whale hunting.
He explains it all very well, but I think whaling still doesn't hold right with me. Intelligence is a big reason. His main argument in that regard is that humans kill many intelligent creatures, such as pigs - but just because we do something to other creatures doesn't make it right. Still, the Faroese seem to do it in the least offensive way, all things considered, so y'know. More concerned with Japan and their rampant whale hunting.

User avatar
Coin
Mise, Pangur Bán agus PILOT WHALES
Posts: 1472
Joined: 14:15:01 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

Re: Interesting Things

Post by Coin » 19:19:12 Monday, 29 August, 2016

Huojin wrote:
Coin wrote:https://www.facebook.com/joensen.heri/v ... nref=story

Nice answer to all the nutters who occasionally start kicking up a fuss about Faroese community whale hunting.
He explains it all very well, but I think whaling still doesn't hold right with me. Intelligence is a big reason. His main argument in that regard is that humans kill many intelligent creatures, such as pigs - but just because we do something to other creatures doesn't make it right. Still, the Faroese seem to do it in the least offensive way, all things considered, so y'know. More concerned with Japan and their rampant whale hunting.
More intelligent than most animals we eat, perhaps, but a pilot whale isn't on a par with the larger whales - and those whales die better than they would in the wild, strengthen the community through the hunt, and help the sustainability of the Faroes. You couldn't sustain a population on the north-east Atlantic seaboard without meat consumption, and the sea is a resource just as much as the land - better to utilise both sensibly, than one intensively and unsustainably.

Agreed as far as the Japanese go, though. Industrialisation of hunting or farming is a step backwards in terms of how we see our food, by land or sea, and particularly since it's done quite dishonestly.
KR: Unie van Suid-Afrika
MG BoP: Medīnat Yisrā'el
V4: Kormákr Thorbrandsson

User avatar
Coin
Mise, Pangur Bán agus PILOT WHALES
Posts: 1472
Joined: 14:15:01 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

Re: Interesting Things

Post by Coin » 10:41:20 Monday, 12 September, 2016

Image
KR: Unie van Suid-Afrika
MG BoP: Medīnat Yisrā'el
V4: Kormákr Thorbrandsson

User avatar
Serenissima
England Expects Every Man Will Do His Duty
Posts: 1171
Joined: 23:49:08 Wednesday, 17 April, 2013
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Interesting Things

Post by Serenissima » 20:23:48 Monday, 12 September, 2016

Coin wrote:Image
When is this from?
"Imagine lies, and then write them down in order. That is literally all authors do!"

Serenissima's WW2 BoP: The GM (obviously)
Metal Gear BoP: Japan
Kaiserreich BoP: Canada
V4: Hubèrt d'Amboise
Interesting Times: Rektor Hedvika Nováková of the Universita

Huojin
General Secretary
General Secretary
Posts: 3287
Joined: 07:30:29 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

Re: Interesting Things

Post by Huojin » 03:49:56 Tuesday, 13 September, 2016

Got Gesar to guess where things are in the UK. He did a pretty decent job:

Image

User avatar
Coin
Mise, Pangur Bán agus PILOT WHALES
Posts: 1472
Joined: 14:15:01 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

Re: Interesting Things

Post by Coin » 09:25:33 Tuesday, 13 September, 2016

Haha, awesome. I would shudder to imagine how poorly by comparison I would do at a US map. :D The habitable zone of Scotland is clearly Skagos the Hebrides, however.
Serenissima wrote:When is this from?
1930s. A bonkers periodical called Modern mechanics. It's pretty cool, though. Another wee piece here:
SpoilerShow
Image
I found it by doing a bit of searching for Doggerland, which sounds dirtier than it is. It's all bonkers, but lest we forget, there were more bonkers plans yet.
KR: Unie van Suid-Afrika
MG BoP: Medīnat Yisrā'el
V4: Kormákr Thorbrandsson

Huojin
General Secretary
General Secretary
Posts: 3287
Joined: 07:30:29 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

Re: Interesting Things

Post by Huojin » 12:20:03 Tuesday, 13 September, 2016

Coin wrote:I would shudder to imagine how poorly by comparison I would do at a US map. :D
do eeeeeet :gameofthrones?:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... utline.png

User avatar
Coin
Mise, Pangur Bán agus PILOT WHALES
Posts: 1472
Joined: 14:15:01 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

Re: Interesting Things

Post by Coin » 11:25:50 Sunday, 16 October, 2016

Not sure if this has been linked:

http://thetruesize.com

Shows how big a country would be on a mercator map projection, if it were located in areas which stretch on that projection - pretty cool.
KR: Unie van Suid-Afrika
MG BoP: Medīnat Yisrā'el
V4: Kormákr Thorbrandsson

Post Reply

Return to “Off Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests