Ideas Dump

Suggest ideas for new games.
Serenissima
(Not) Molotov's Favourite Psychic Schoolgirl

Re: Ideas Dump

Postby Serenissima » 14:21:37 Wednesday, 29 June, 2016

Stellaris is awesome. We should just play that too. :p
"Imagine lies, and then write them down in order. That is literally all authors do!"

Louisiana: Antoine d'Ailly, captain of Sorcière, commodore of the Marine de l'Assemblée
Metal Gear BoP: Japan
Saenwyn: Jace Kern, Duke of Tailledun
1968: French Fifth Republic
1800: Britain

RinKou
Jackbooted Swinelicker Fascist

Postby RinKou » 20:17:45 Friday, 01 July, 2016

Coin wrote:So a wee idea that popped into my head, and that I possibly wouldn't do in the end, but thought I'd see how folk might feel of it. A map game, but with a twist.

Instead of humanity, it's an alien race. Players would take the role of, loosely, "gods", influencing events - from the initial climate, biology and terrain, to the race's progression through history (Ages of Bronze, Iron, Medieval, Renaissance, Industrial, Information, Space). Folk would post what they want to happen, and I would take all the various orders and add in a few RNGs, and process it. A beautiful, stat-less, easily GMed world. Would take a while to get into the Space Age, probably, but I'd have an incentive:

By the time that the Space Age comes around, the alien society will have become apparent, and it'll hopefully have our collective involvement. I will then play it, as an interactive AAR, in Stellaris - since by then, I'll have finished my first game in it as the humans, so I'll need something new.

Just a thought!

Only if I can be the goddess of fertility and fruit baskets again.
G&G: Absentee GM

If you say that prancing mailman of a GM is ever going to run the gangster game WELL THEN I SAY GOOD DAY SIR -oyid

I write things!
I post things!

Master of Oblivion
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Master of Oblivion » 21:05:00 Friday, 01 July, 2016

Coin wrote:So a wee idea that popped into my head, and that I possibly wouldn't do in the end, but thought I'd see how folk might feel of it. A map game, but with a twist.

Instead of humanity, it's an alien race. Players would take the role of, loosely, "gods", influencing events - from the initial climate, biology and terrain, to the race's progression through history (Ages of Bronze, Iron, Medieval, Renaissance, Industrial, Information, Space). Folk would post what they want to happen, and I would take all the various orders and add in a few RNGs, and process it. A beautiful, stat-less, easily GMed world. Would take a while to get into the Space Age, probably, but I'd have an incentive:

By the time that the Space Age comes around, the alien society will have become apparent, and it'll hopefully have our collective involvement. I will then play it, as an interactive AAR, in Stellaris - since by then, I'll have finished my first game in it as the humans, so I'll need something new.

Just a thought!

I remember something similar to this on patton. Lots of potential but it never got beyond the first turn.
GM of 1898
Louisiana: Edmond Lavaeu
1968: USSR

You either die Fo'Dolo or see yourself live long enough to be the Patton.

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Huojin » 23:35:29 Friday, 01 July, 2016

It was Pantheon, my game where everyone was gods. It was a beautiful idea that I became too clouded in my visions of what it should be to execute well ;___;

Master of Oblivion
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Master of Oblivion » 21:53:39 Sunday, 03 July, 2016

Huojin wrote:It was Pantheon, my game where everyone was gods. It was a beautiful idea that I became too clouded in my visions of what it should be to execute well ;___;

Bring it back!
GM of 1898

Coin
Mise, Pangur Bán agus PILOT WHALES

Postby Coin » 10:08:16 Tuesday, 05 July, 2016

So, I had a bit of time while travelling, and decided to plan out the idea further. I'd welcome anyone else who wants to run it, but I'm contemplating running it later through the summer, depending on how work is.

As previously stated, players would take on the role of loosely defined gods, spirits, or guardians of a freshly created globe, tasked by an unseen All-Father type analogue to shape the history and nature of his own creation. All players would be equal in power, particularly to start with - and have a limited number of actions per turn, along with rules on what could and could not be done. The majority of actions would have to be posted in the thread, in public; allowing for other players to then oppose or support it. The available actions would change with every age.

The game would be divided into the following ages - initially, worldbuilding (these might be merged, but for now, they're separate for simplicity):

• Genesis I - Sculpting of the world from a blank, global slate. Players decide what the geography and appearance of the world is.
  • Genesis II - Creation, and evolution, of the flora and fauna of the world. Players decide climate, biology and the nature of sentient life.

The game would then develop into a Pantheon-esque situation, where the players seek to directly influence their created life - whether by enlightening, terrifying, or protecting them, in competition or cooperation with others.

• First Age - The Stone Age, as sentient life spreads, civilisation and agriculture begin to develop in different forms.
  • Second Age - The Bronze Age, roughly, as metallurgy and technology spread, and empires form.
  • Third Age - Iron Age analogue, the twilight of major player intervention.

As this age would come to a close, the power of the players would diminish, and it'd become more of a map game.

• Fourth Age - Middle Ages analogue, as the power of players in an active sense decreases.
  • Fifth Age - Early Modern Period analogue, and an age of discovery and globalised commerce.
  • Sixth Age - Industrialisation and modernisation, and the end of active meddling by players.
  • Seventh Age - The end of history, as in this age the final form of civilisation is decided - or ended - by nuclear powers.

It's all horrendously expansive, which looks horrendous to GM. But the advantage of it shall be that there are no stats - and actions will not be free-form, which should mean a fun game to GM as well as play. An age ends when the GM decides - and the first two, in particular, will likely take only 2-3 turns each.

The limited actions does mean that special actions in the form of a unique "card" in a pm would be randomly assigned per age, to limited players. In the First Age, that might be a supervolcano or a great flood; in the Sixth, a minor pandemic or a single volcano eruption. Major technological innovations might also be available. There would also be event chains, ideally one per age, which might open up divisions in the power of players.

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Huojin » 13:59:27 Tuesday, 05 July, 2016

Digging this more and more. Though I'll say - one of the major stumbling blocks for me with Pantheon was the shift between "stages" - so here between Genesis and the Ages, and between each of the blocks of Ages. Might be worth mocking something up and testing it out with two people, just so you have an idea of what you're going to do and how it'll all work out, because I found it more difficult than I thought I would with Pantheon.

Coin

Postby Coin » 19:12:38 Tuesday, 05 July, 2016

Huojin wrote:Digging this more and more. Though I'll say - one of the major stumbling blocks for me with Pantheon was the shift between "stages" - so here between Genesis and the Ages, and between each of the blocks of Ages. Might be worth mocking something up and testing it out with two people, just so you have an idea of what you're going to do and how it'll all work out, because I found it more difficult than I thought I would with Pantheon.

A trial sounds good. Perhaps from stage II to III, as its the biggest leap - on one continent, two players, starting midway through Genesis II?

Master of Oblivion
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Master of Oblivion » 06:51:45 Wednesday, 06 July, 2016

I'm interested in your game coin. If you need any help, let me know.
GM of 1898

Coin

Postby Coin » 11:00:48 Wednesday, 06 July, 2016

Master of Oblivion wrote:I'm interested in your game coin. If you need any help, let me know.

Will do, thanks!

OYID
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Postby OYID » 20:33:58 Thursday, 07 July, 2016

The Pantheon game is an amazing idea, I'd be totally down for it.
1968: Cuba.

Coin

Postby Coin » 09:50:10 Sunday, 10 July, 2016

A wee update! Here are the actions so far for the first two game periods, when players create the world, and create what lives in it, respectively. All listed actions must be typed in a game thread.

Early Game Actions
  • Genesis I - 2 actions per turn. Turns may roughly correspond to a geological age, in terms of how the world will change without player intervention.

Create Landmass - Use your powers to raise an island or a continent, of a form and size of your choosing. The greater the size, the less you'll be able to determine the shape and nature of it.

Raise mountains - Build ramparts for the gods, that tower over the landscape. Between a single solitary peak and huge mountain ranges, build as you will.

Sculpt Landscape - With your own hand, change the landscape of a specific region to better fit your own ideal.

Delve Ocean - Divide an existing continent, or destroy it entirely by delving a new ocean for the world, affecting the climate and geography of the globe.

Enrich Minerals - Strengthen the deposits of precious metals and ores within the rocks of the earth, to help life develop and, eventually, civilisation form.

Form Climate - As continents and seas are formed, a climate shall begin to take shape. Choose anything from a hot, dry land, to a wet and humid planet - or indeed, a cold and frozen landscape - as you wish, or change the weather patterns that will influence the shape of life to come.

Oppose Divine Action - For every action, an equal and opposite reaction. Some will seek to destroy what you forged, or corrupt the creator's plan. You may oppose them, your success depending on the numbers in opposition, the action, and pure chance.

• Genesis II - 2 actions per turn. Turns will roughly correspond to millions of years of evolution, but narrowing towards the end.

Create New Flora - Create a new form of plant life to spread across the world - from a carnivorous perennial, to bountiful fruits for all to eat of.

Create New Fauna - Take the building blocks the All-Father left you, and form them into a beast of your own creation. Whether a lone mythical titan, or a common carnivore stalking the plains, they are yours to make - though the more advanced your creation, the more likely it may change beyond your recognition.

Influence Evolution - It is easier to use your power to steer existing life, than create it anew; whether by giving an amphibian a taste for land, seed a comfort for cold frost, or any number of possibilities; but you cannot control this as easily as creation of your own.

Sculpt Landscape - Change the landscape of a region, whether by carving out rivers and lakes or forming deserts.

A Helping Hand - Guide a species of animal or plant to a land they have not visited till now. Whether that involves moving a young herd, or a devastating virus, to an isolated region is entirely up to you.

Alter Climate - The world turns now, and your powers to influence the climate greatly weaken. But you may still seek to gradually warm the planet, or cool the temperatures. Your powers to change weather patterns remain strong.

Oppose Divine Action - For every action, an equal and opposite reaction. Some will seek to destroy what you forged, or corrupt the creator's plan. You may oppose them, your success depending on the numbers in opposition, the action, and pure chance.

The one key mechanic for these ages which remains undefined is the creation of the sentient life in the world. It'll be a key part of any test game, but here is my draft so far - would definitely appreciate critique, especially on the timescale.

Promethean Enlightenment - The Creator has given to all the gods the most valuable of his creations - the gift of sentience, of self-aware and reasoning life. You may work to grant this to a beast of your choosing, naming their enlightened form - but it will take many generations. Build the medium of your enlightenment - whether a monolith, a unique form of flora, or anything else that will bring wisdom and understanding to your chosen species. The construction will take actions over 2 turns, and can only be begun once the world has entered an age where advanced life is widespread. Once it is constructed, ascension will take another turn, as the enlightenment spreads.

However, should this action be opposed by more than support it at all at any stage, then it will fail. Completion of this chain of events will herald the end of the Creation Ages; and the beginning of the First Age.

Edit: thanks to MoO & Huo for action feedback pre-posting
Last edited by Coin on 10:48:58 Sunday, 10 July, 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Huojin » 10:44:21 Sunday, 10 July, 2016

Perhaps the idea that it takes more than 1 god alone to grant sentience could be useful? And a cap on the power, so once you try and use it, you're done whether it succeeds or is blocked?

Master of Oblivion
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Master of Oblivion » 01:09:52 Tuesday, 12 July, 2016

Huojin wrote:Perhaps the idea that it takes more than 1 god alone to grant sentience could be useful? And a cap on the power, so once you try and use it, you're done whether it succeeds or is blocked?

I second this. This way you don't have 5-10 races.
GM of 1898

Gesar
Social Justice Stasi
Social Justice Stasi

Postby Gesar » 17:41:29 Wednesday, 13 July, 2016

hnnnnngh yes
Saenwyn: A Song of Ashes: Storyteller

Louisiana 1792: Fils de la Révolution: Monsieur le Commissaire de l'Intérieur Thomas Francois Jérôme Cossard, Mayor of Saint-Louis and editor of L'Ami de la République
Liberty in Dark Waters: Leopold Karl von Stenhielm, Baron af Rödesund, Knight and Commander of the Orders of His Majesty the King, convicted traitor
Balance of Power 1968: Mwalimu Julius Nyerere, President and Baba wa Taifa of the United Republic of Tanzania

Smyg wrote:The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of Gesar coping with being a total fucking a-grade revolutionary thinker

Spoiler:
#DraftGesar

Return to “Game Ideas”