Ideas Dump

Suggest ideas for new games.
Tellos
Revisionist
Revisionist

Re: Ideas Dump

Postby Tellos » 02:22:09 Friday, 15 July, 2016

I am itching for a game where I cam play an ai race. Just thinking sorry if this is wrong place.
United States of America - BOP 1830

United States of America - BOP 1935

Russian Federation - BOP Metal Gear

Coin
Mise, Pangur Bán agus PILOT WHALES

Postby Coin » 10:07:55 Friday, 05 August, 2016

(For context, have a look at my posts on the previous page)

Master of Oblivion wrote:
Huojin wrote:Perhaps the idea that it takes more than 1 god alone to grant sentience could be useful? And a cap on the power, so once you try and use it, you're done whether it succeeds or is blocked?

I second this. This way you don't have 5-10 races.

So I've been away from this for a bit, but having taken on board the thoughts of other folk, here is an updated "Promethean" event chain:

Promethean Enlightenment - You were given many powers by the Creator of the world - but the greatest and most dangerous is the ability to pass on some of these gifts, and to create self-aware, sentient life.

You may attempt to grant this to an existing beast of your choosing - but it will take many generations. Build the medium of your enlightenment - whether a monolith, a unique form of flora, or any creation that will bring wisdom and understanding to your chosen species. The construction will take one turn, and can only be begun once the world has entered an age where advanced life is widespread.

Once it is constructed, ascension will take 3 actions over 2 turns, and with at least two different players taking part. The last three actions, once a medium is built, are the Gift of Thought; the Gift of Speech; and the Gift of Fire.

However, should this action be opposed by more than support it at all at any stage, then it will fail. In addition, you may not start the chain again. Completion of this chain of events will herald the end of the Creation Ages; and the beginning of the First Age.

As for the test game, I shall myself "simulate" the game for 6 turns (through Genesis I & II, and posting the results in a thread) - with 2 players taking over afterwards in a trial situation of the actions listed above. I'll get some First Age type actions set beforehand as well, so I've an idea how it'll develop. Then we'll see if it works enough for a "proper" game.
Last edited by Coin on 13:12:59 Friday, 05 August, 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Huojin
Designated Shitposter
Designated Shitposter

Postby Huojin » 11:12:55 Friday, 05 August, 2016

Awesome. So like, each player gets the chance to launch the chain once, but if they fail they lose their power to do so, but might be able to rely on an allied being to do it?

Also you should make a separate thread for this now :P
The Gesarist Manifesto, chapter 5 opening foreword wrote:"The guerrilla must move like a fish in the sea, namely by drinking until you can delude yourself into hoping rich bastards will be gone one day."

• Louisiana 1792: Fils de la Révolution - GM/Author
  • Balance of Power: 1968 - Iraqi Republic
  • Saenwyn: A Song of Ashes - Corentin of House Tremayne, King of Saenwyn and Defender of the Realm

(excuse me while I blow my own trumpet)

Smyg the slow-running Louisiana
Smyg is pretty much the storytelling epic
Smyg of this century
Smyg Huojin is writing the Great American Novel and it's not even American

Coin
Mise, Pangur Bán agus PILOT WHALES

Postby Coin » 11:33:32 Friday, 05 August, 2016

Huojin wrote:Awesome. So like, each player gets the chance to launch the chain once, but if they fail they lose their power to do so, but might be able to rely on an allied being to do it?

Also you should make a separate thread for this now :P

Indeed! Since the initial player is the one who chooses the subject of enlightenment - though of course, other folk can seek to destroy or change them via actions other than the simple opposition to the monolith. So the more folk involved, the better, in terms of guiding the young species as planned.

I'll make a thread when I've gotten some more of the rules marked out, and once I've started processing the test game.

Tellos
Revisionist
Revisionist

Postby Tellos » 08:31:38 Wednesday, 19 October, 2016

I got ideas but suck at GMing should i still throw ideas out?.

BgKnight
George R. R. Martin in space and with less talent

Postby BgKnight » 08:41:04 Wednesday, 19 October, 2016

Tellos wrote:I got ideas but suck at GMing should i still throw ideas out?.

Ye, that's what the thread is about.

Tellos
Revisionist
Revisionist

Postby Tellos » 08:52:37 Wednesday, 19 October, 2016

Really have wanted to do an alien invasion based BOP style game.

Serenissima
(Not) Molotov's Favourite Psychic Schoolgirl

Postby Serenissima » 11:25:43 Wednesday, 19 October, 2016

Tellos wrote:Really have wanted to do an alien invasion based BOP style game.

I long ago had ideas for a quick'n'dirty War of the Worlds one.
"Imagine lies, and then write them down in order. That is literally all authors do!"

Louisiana: Antoine d'Ailly, captain of Sorcière, commodore of the Marine de l'Assemblée
Metal Gear BoP: Japan
Saenwyn: Jace Kern, Duke of Tailledun
1968: French Fifth Republic

Luc
Romanov of Stats

Postby Luc » 10:17:27 Monday, 14 November, 2016

Once I get my life back in order, and my vaccations come, im thinking of running some sort of Government sim, im thinking of setting it in Brazil in the late 1920's, would you guys like to play it?
"I am to BOP stats, what Nicholas II was to Russia." - El Luc

Co-GM of 1918 Balance of Power, Join it Here > http://molotov.applied-logistics.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1731
Victor Auguste de Guéret in Huojin's Louisiana 1792: Fils de la Révolution
CLASSIFIED in Moo's Balance of Power: 1968

Luftwafer
Urso-Maoist
Urso-Maoist

Postby Luftwafer » 18:07:36 Monday, 14 November, 2016

A war game set in any period of time
Players are in teams, they buy units with points and fight.

Tellos
Revisionist
Revisionist

Postby Tellos » 06:27:55 Tuesday, 15 November, 2016

I had an idea for a sorta war gameish type. bascially I'd want to do an alien invasion and the players all as natiosn try to handle things dependingo n whats going on. Just an idea.

Gesar
Social Justice Stasi
Social Justice Stasi

Postby Gesar » 21:02:58 Thursday, 22 December, 2016

alright so I'm possibly losing my mind with this, but the idea has been eating at me all day so might as well throw it out there.

It's a game like Divinity or Pantheon, but each player is a personified emanation of the Godhead, representing an aspect of that which the Most High imparted in Creation, like Wisdom, Change, Stasis, Love, etc (although now that I write this I'd probably go for some sort of Jungian thing). As Mankind -whose consciousness, unbeknownst to itself, passively defines the universe, enters an era of civilization, the Godhead has entrusted a presently stable reality to the Emanations, and while your actions will never be known for what they are, that doesn't mean you can't alter thd trajectory of the material realm to better suit your whims. Essentially, the game would be less about shaping the world's landmasses and amassing followers, and more about working for or with the other Emanations in a race to alter the social mores of the world by the last turn, with the end result being based on who has been the most successful (ex. if a Chaos Emanation dominated, humanity would end up in an era of entirely subjective reality, while a Knowledge Emanation might try to create a universal consciousness).

Mechanically it'd be a relatively short game, divided into a few turns per era, with score being kept on the dominant Ideas of various regions as well as a general Influence stat. Credits/AP in this game would be based on <some sort of Gnostic sounding word for Power> that I'm not quite sure on how it'll be measured. Actions, I'm thinking, would be scaled to how directly you want to change reality: more subtle actions will be encouraged by being inexpensive, outright causing disasters or whatever will cost more.

So...yeah.
Saenwyn: A Song of Ashes: Storyteller

Louisiana 1792: Fils de la Révolution: Monsieur le Commissaire de l'Intérieur Thomas Francois Jérôme Cossard, Mayor of Saint-Louis and editor of L'Ami de la République
Liberty in Dark Waters: Leopold Karl von Stenhielm, Baron af Rödesund, Knight and Commander of the Orders of His Majesty the King, convicted traitor
Balance of Power 1968: Mwalimu Julius Nyerere, President and Baba wa Taifa of the United Republic of Tanzania

Smyg wrote:The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of Gesar coping with being a total fucking a-grade revolutionary thinker

Spoiler:
#DraftGesar

Huojin
Designated Shitposter
Designated Shitposter

Postby Huojin » 21:20:11 Thursday, 22 December, 2016

I dig it. Kinda like skipping past all the creation-y stages and getting straight to the bit we all find the most appealing - playing God with puny mortals. Are you thinking free form actions, or something with slightly more structure? Might be worth having some structure if we get towards nations and the like forming amongst humanity, since there'll need to be abstractions or some actual measurements to compare them.

And are we measuring influence abstractly too? Or rooted in a couple of different measures plus some abstraction? You could root it in followers, temples, states controlled or led by someone with your viewpoint, the extent to which the general populous is aware of you/reveres you/fears you/etc., things like that I guess?

At any rate, I dig the idea.
The Gesarist Manifesto, chapter 5 opening foreword wrote:"The guerrilla must move like a fish in the sea, namely by drinking until you can delude yourself into hoping rich bastards will be gone one day."

• Louisiana 1792: Fils de la Révolution - GM/Author
  • Balance of Power: 1968 - Iraqi Republic
  • Saenwyn: A Song of Ashes - Corentin of House Tremayne, King of Saenwyn and Defender of the Realm

(excuse me while I blow my own trumpet)

Smyg the slow-running Louisiana
Smyg is pretty much the storytelling epic
Smyg of this century
Smyg Huojin is writing the Great American Novel and it's not even American

DutchGuy
'Conservative Monarchist'

Postby DutchGuy » 22:29:26 Saturday, 22 April, 2017

Just something I made. Timeline and PoD's will come at a later date. Alpha name = Age of Empire
Last edited by DutchGuy on 17:37:48 Monday, 24 April, 2017, edited 1 time in total.
The Republic of Turkey in scorpion's Metal Gear BoP 2006
The Imperial State of Iran in MasterofOblivion's BoP 1968

Serenissima
(Not) Molotov's Favourite Psychic Schoolgirl

Postby Serenissima » 12:34:09 Sunday, 23 April, 2017

While being pretty sick and awake when I had no right or desire to be, I at least had an idea for a possible game - not sure if it's been done before, or thought of before. If it has, then no plagiarism intended, as I'm as much asking if anyone has done it as proposing it.

But... what about a "govsim vs govsim" game, in which, essentially, the players play the governments of two nations which are at war - having to co-operate and work together, but also having to balance the needs of their own power-base and avoiding their internal rivals taking over their turf, or worse, having them tried for treason or executed? Military would need to be supplied, recruited for, commanded, as well as the logistics and production processes for it and other internal needs, such as civil defence, repairs after bombing and combat, and trying to secure aid from foreign powers. At the same time, if you throw all your personal resources and prestige into the war, your own position at home will be weak and you'll be vulnerable to backstabs, or at least loss of prestige if your efforts fail.

I was thinking of Nazi Germany vs USSR as an example, but I think it'd work best if it used an alternative history setting for balance purposes, and because all-powerful dictators aren't conducive to the gameplay. So, it'd be set in authoritarian states on both sides, but not autocracies - where the leader character has influence, but not absolute power, and has to worry about being supplanted by someone else with more prestige. The silly alternative-history setting idea I'd had for it was Communist Germany vs Imperial Russia in a late 1930s - early 1940s time/technology period.
"Imagine lies, and then write them down in order. That is literally all authors do!"

Louisiana: Antoine d'Ailly, captain of Sorcière, commodore of the Marine de l'Assemblée
Metal Gear BoP: Japan
Saenwyn: Jace Kern, Duke of Tailledun
1968: French Fifth Republic

Return to “Game Ideas”