Divinity, a gods game (test run)

Suggest ideas for new games.
Coin
Mise, Pangur Bán agus PILOT WHALES

Re: Divinity - test game

Postby Coin » 10:03:39 Thursday, 01 September, 2016

Huojin wrote:I'd like to see something greater with flora spreading onto land - perhaps the kelps and so on in the northwest encroaching on the land, evolving into sturdier structures like mosses and grasses, covering the large islands in all kinds of flora. Hopefully some herbivorous beasties from the sea will crawl ashore to investigate.

Also perhaps something to do with delving new depths of the seas and an evolutionary race between the worms (growing larger, developing teeth, perhaps amphibious) and the back-boned things (escaping more onto land, perhaps developing greater intelligence to evade their captors, changing primitive social structures in that they maybe live in herds or pods or something?).

Perhaps sealing the (former) bay in the northern half of the semi-supercontinent (I think it's Deas?) in order to empty the waters there and create perhaps a shallow sea/lake and raise the submerged land to the east from being totally engulfed by the seas?

Cheers! I shall try to add in most of these as actions, and would encourage others to add in their own actions, since we're nearing the stage where I'll have 3 players take over. Atm, Turn 4 is when I'll open it up.

Turn 2 will likely be posted tonight, if I have time - otherwise, we might be into next week for it. The processing is pretty quick to do but I get distracted by the map >_>

Here are some actions that we might do - gaps aplenty! But since all thus far are Huojin's, if others chime in and we get a bit busy, I'll ensure there's an equal distribution.

Turn 2 possible orders

Dubh
- Influence evolution - encourage the greater worms to become more advanced predators, with teeth, and even limbs.
- Sculpt land - close the deep channels and gulleys of Tuath that lie between the mountains, to create an inland sea more amenable to life.

Geal
- Influence evolution - Aid the spread of more complex plants onto the ground in the north-west continent, by making them better able to take root in the land.
-

Fion
- Influence evolution - give strength to the diverse groups of back-boned creatures. Encourage the creation of social groupings, and aid them in moving into shallower seas with their better maneuverability.
-

Coin

Postby Coin » 23:07:34 Saturday, 03 September, 2016

Turn 2 processed - and, as said, Turn 4 is when I'll let 3 players take over for the remainder of the test game - next turn will see the more full development of land-lubbing life, then we'll be ready to let you guys take over.

If there's anyone who's interested but hasn't posted, if you'd do so before turn 3 that'd be appreciated - especially if you've any preference on how the next turn goes.

Turn 2 Orders

Dubh
- Influence evolution - encourage the greater worms to become more advanced predators, with teeth, and even limbs.
- Sculpt land - close the deep channels and gulleys of Tuath that lie between the mountains, to create an inland sea more amenable to life.

Geal
- Influence evolution - Aid the spread of more complex plants onto the ground in the north-west continent, by making them better able to take root in the land.
- Create fauna - create small creatures, with a hardened exoskeleton, that will live within the new lands.

Fion
- Influence evolution - give strength to the diverse groups of back-boned creatures. Encourage the creation of social groupings, and aid them in moving into shallower seas with their better maneuverability.
- Create fauna - create bacterial parasites that weaken the predatorial worms.

Turn 2

Turn 1 Map of the World

Turn 2 Map of the World

The long labours of Dubh in Tuath continue, as he refashions the deep channels and inner seas of the continent into something more amenable to his own taste - and his own taste for what form of life should prosper. Partly due to a colder climate than the seas between Tuath and Deas, and partly due to the upheavel of his labours, the north of the continent surrounding the becomes a much barer land - endless dunes and sand-seas giving rise to a very different type of ecosystem on land, which conveniently become home to more of the worm forms over millions of years.

Volcanic eruptions continue to spew greenhouse gases into the air, and he sea levels continue to rise as more of the icecaps melt. Some more smaller islands are submerged, but great parts of the coasts of some of the continents, too, drown beneath the waves. In these shallow seas, and the great saltmarshes common across the land, life does blossom.

Fion is active also - and most notably, in encouraging the proliferation of back-boned creatures - a collective evolutionary family known as iasg-fion - in the seas. Having only just scraped through the past few ages in the polar seas, these adaptable creatures spread across the glove quickly, great shoals of them following the still large photosynthetic blooms within the sea currents. They are not alone however - as a number of the creatures which evolved on the seabed to escape the worms with harder shells, begin to float on the sea currents, adding to the diversity of the deep-sea waves.

The iasg-fion do however begin to become more numerous within the shallower seas of Deas and north-west of the world. Some of the polar forms closest to the originals die out - but the diversity of this family is great indeed. In an attempt to escape from predators and to protect their offspring - in the larval form - some even begin to beach themselves on land for reproduction, before returning to the seas, and over many millions of years, these diverge into an amphibious branch of the iasg-fion.

True to form, it is with the land that Geal is most concerned, compared with Dubh or Fion - for the divine further encourages the spread of plants, some semi-submerged on the wide tidal planes, onto the land. Geal's work is not necessary for it's spread and diversification, however. As the mosses and primitive plantlife of old dies, the decomposing remains enriches and deepens the ground - allowing more and more of the land of Deas in particular, and the many island chains, to become green with life, and leaves begin to make ever more exotic appearances - grasses and ferns encouraging creatures to follow. From worms which burrow in the tidal sand dunes and eventually slither onto the ground, to more terrestrial forms of the slug-like or exoskeletal shelled creatures, life begins to reach all the world.

Dubh's work becomes apparent here, too, for some of the worms begin to spread onto land, and develop primitive legs. Though still soft-skinned in general, and reliant on wet habitats, they begin to proliferate. They are hampered somewhat by their success, however, for Fion creates small parasites that hamper their spread. Many of the terrestrial forms die out, as do the deep-sea forms which were most susceptible. A minor extinction event occurs where this disrupts more fragile ecosystems, resulting in many of the parasites dying out, as well as some of the worms.

In the marshes, the lagoons, the sea-beds, the deserts and the dunes of the world, however, both herbivorous and especially carnivorous forms remain most successful. to Fion's distaste.

Geal begins to aid the spread of the sturdier plants in the north-west by strengthening their roots. These plants begin more and more to resemble primitive trees - for their stalks are strong and resistant to wave, wind or rain. They become the dominant form of plant life in the north-west - though more basic forms of them do appear of their own accord in Deas. He also creates a small, insect like creatures which feeds on the leaves of these new plants - and these, too, become very successful in the north-west. Though not as yet spread south or east, they begin to evolve into a myriad of different forms, adding to the ecosystem of this primitive rainforest, and eagerly eaten by amphibious iasg-fionn - backboned predators - or more advanced nathairdubh - the worms - alike. Some even begin to take flight.

A stranger ecosystem still develops in the southern polar sea, however - as, instead of green, purple, fungal type forms of life begin to spread. Spores carried on the winds bring great fungi to much of the region, and some begin to grow tall indeed in sheltered islets and coves

Should have Turn 3 up through the week!

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Huojin » 23:18:39 Saturday, 03 September, 2016

Love how this is developing. I think for the full game, it might be worthwhile providing some suggestions in a preamble or something so that people aren't stuck for what to do in the pre-sentient life era, just to give some people a direction to look in for their research.

How many turns are you estimating for each stage? Have you mentioned it earlier, because I'm probably being forgetful here >_>

Coin

Postby Coin » 23:26:26 Saturday, 03 September, 2016

Huojin wrote:Love how this is developing. I think for the full game, it might be worthwhile providing some suggestions in a preamble or something so that people aren't stuck for what to do in the pre-sentient life era, just to give some people a direction to look in for their research.

How many turns are you estimating for each stage? Have you mentioned it earlier, because I'm probably being forgetful here >_>

Aye, I think I'll write up a more detailed set of rules for the game proper. But - as will be painfully obvious - I'm not a biologist or anything remotely knowledgable on the science of it all; so folk are welcome to be as vague or as specific as they like, and I'll still process the action.

Likewise, I think a glossary for the different ages might be useful for folk - when it comes to keeping track of species names, continent names, etc.

In terms of how long each stage would be, it's really up to players. I'd imagined it being 3-4 for stage 1, but stage 2 is a bit longer - 6-7, perhaps more. There's no limit, as it's kicked off by players with the Enlightenment actions - making a species fully sentient. This has to be done over 3 turns - 1 for construction, and 2 for "teaching" if you will. But a part of the test game is seeing if that feels too long for some folk, which it might!

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Huojin » 23:30:35 Saturday, 03 September, 2016

All sounds good to me! Just worrying about the possibility that some early stages might drag on a little, but I think certainly towards the lower end of your estimates there sounds good. There'll be a fair number of players kicking around y'know, so I figure we'll be good in the full game quicker than you think. But yeah, test game will be vital in that regard.

(tho for real man, I could play this right now, I'm so hungry for it)

Coin

Re: Divinity - test game [sign-ups open]

Postby Coin » 16:22:29 Monday, 05 September, 2016

These are the planned actions for turn 3, to be processed this week (perhaps tonight). Sign ups are now open for Dubh, Geal and Fion for after that - after the next simulated turn, folk can play themselves.

Turn 3 Orders

Dubh
- Influence evolution - Influence the intelligence of the nathair-dubh - the worms - to better improve their adaptability, and increase their diversity in terms of sizes.
- Influence evolution - Help the amphibious creatures to become land-dwelling permanently, and make them greatly larger and more adaptable to the different land conditions[Joint Action]

Geal
- Create fauna - Create massive, fungal forests on the south coast of Deas.
- Helping hand - guide the young rainforests of the north-west south, to the uninhabited islands of Aon.

Fion
- Alter Climate - Stop the warming of the world, which is leading to higher and higher sea levels, so as to give land life a better chance.
- Influence evolution - Help the amphibious creatures to become land-dwelling permanently, and make them greatly larger and more adaptable to the different land conditions[Joint Action]

Gesar
Social Justice Stasi
Social Justice Stasi

Re: Divinity - Test Game - Sign-Ups Open

Postby Gesar » 16:51:12 Monday, 05 September, 2016

I'll take Fion
Saenwyn: A Song of Ashes: Storyteller

Louisiana 1792: Fils de la Révolution: Monsieur le Commissaire de l'Intérieur Thomas Francois Jérôme Cossard, Mayor of Saint-Louis and editor of L'Ami de la République
Liberty in Dark Waters: Leopold Karl von Stenhielm, Baron af Rödesund, Knight and Commander of the Orders of His Majesty the King, convicted traitor
Balance of Power 1968: Mwalimu Julius Nyerere, President and Baba wa Taifa of the United Republic of Tanzania

Smyg wrote:The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of Gesar coping with being a total fucking a-grade revolutionary thinker

Spoiler:
#DraftGesar

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Huojin » 18:06:05 Monday, 05 September, 2016

Available if you need anything, but also just happy to help out.

Coin

Postby Coin » 14:16:54 Wednesday, 07 September, 2016

Both confirmed - though I'd hoped to just get Huo to be my person to bounce ideas off as we go, so I'd still accept 2 more sign ups for Dubh is Geal. If we can get one more though, we're good to go.

Coin

Postby Coin » 07:44:53 Tuesday, 13 September, 2016

So, not as much interest as I'd hoped, evidently :P But I shall process the one more turn before players. Been a bit delayed by moving from the mainland, so I'll do it when I get a spare hour. We'll see where we are then player-wise, but at worst it's an idea for the future.

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Huojin » 12:16:13 Tuesday, 13 September, 2016

I remain hopeful the full game will exhibit greater interest. Or at least that people are watching the test game.

Master of Oblivion
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Master of Oblivion » 11:33:33 Wednesday, 14 September, 2016

I will sign up.
GM of 1898
Louisiana: Edmond Lavaeu
1968: USSR

You either die Fo'Dolo or see yourself live long enough to be the Patton.

Coin

Postby Coin » 21:35:05 Sunday, 25 September, 2016

Turn 3 of Genesis II - the creation of the world - now done. From here on in, the test players will take over from my processing:

Dubh = Huojin
Geal = Master of Oblivion
Fion = Gesar.

For those curious, the rules etc are in the first post - and I'll send a pm to each player. :D

Genesis II - Turn 3

Map at Turn Start

Map at Turn End

The warming of the world in the past millenia starts to slow and come to a halt, as Fion seeks to alter the climate to make it more amenable. While great swathes of what was once land still lies drowned beneath the waves, the rise of the tides stops for now, as Fion balances the atmosphere, ensuring enough heat escapes.

This stabilisation gives Geal the opportunity to do something quite different. Massive fungal forests, rising like towers into the air and in some instances growing higher than the hills, begin to spread over the south coast of Deas. Though swifter winds and competition from greener life forms stop any spread northwards, the ecosystem they support is very different to that further north, with few herbivores able to consume both the purple flesh of the fungi, and green plant matter.

In the seas, life has continued to expand, with Dubh's assistance becoming smarter and more adaptable. Nathair-dubh – the great worms – have adapted perfectly for their various roles, with some reaching hundreds of metres in length, and feasting on smaller worms and backboned swimming creatures. The worms themselves have become sturdier and stronger, and from the dunes beneath the waves to the shallowest of lagoons, as predators in particular, they take to the top.

Their cousins on land also diversify. In the north-eastern sand seas of the continent of Tuath, they continue to be dominant; and their increasing intelligent makes them excellent ambush predators of increasingly terrestrial lifeforms.

The rain-forests of the north-west have spread with great success over millions of years in the islands of the north-west; and now they spread south with Geal's assistance. Seedlings are carried on the waves to the island chain of Aon, and also to Deas's north-west tip, where they begin to flourish. Alongside them, large insects flourish, their winged forms now spreading beyond the forests, and out onto the grassy plains in great swarms.

In the seas, fish-like forms compete with shelled creatures in following the blooms of photosynthetic life across the oceans. They increase in number, but generally do not advance greatly in biology, beyond adapting to specific temperatures in the different seas.

The greatest change by far of these times, however, comes on land. Dubh and Fion work together to greatly speed up the evolutionary development of the amphibious backboned creatures once known as iasg-fion. With the help of two divines working in concert, all over the planet they shrug off their aquatic origins. Four and six legged forms begin to run across the world – some travelling in great herds of primitive herbivores, while the four legged forms adapt to preying on them, when not themselves prey to the great serpents.

Smaller species live in harmony with the great forests of the north-west, and of Deas (the southern continent). However, the endless grazing begins to take effect on the larger rainforests, and open grasslands begin to become more common even as they first disappeared in the north-west before the great leap of these creatures onto land.

Random Glossary
Green on the map indicates "grassland" type fauna being present; whether mosses or fern type plants. Darker green indicates forests of ever-larger plants. Grey indicates differing shades of mountainous terrain - the darkest being the highest. Sand or desert type environments are indicated by yellow-brown colours. Purple indicates a form of gigantic fungal fauna - think giant mushrooms in Morrowind - with darker indicating denser clusters of larger forms.

Tuath: The continent to the north-east, presently covered in sand dunes, and inhabited primarily by the nathair-dubh - an evolutionary family of serpents created by Dubh, which burrow in the sands and rock of this otherwise mostly lifeless land.

Deas: The continent in the south. Varied life forms, both in terms of fauna and flora, though the desert in the west is mostly barren.

Brathair & Piuthair: The bigger twin continents in the north-west, though they are mostly split at the moment by a high sea level. Covered in dense vegetation, apart from some islands which are dominated by herbivores of late.

Aon, Dha, Tri & Ceithir: From north to south respectively, the four main island chains in the south-west of the world.

Nathair-Dubh: Spineless worms, aquatic and terrestrial, created by Dubh - hence the name - in the early days of the age. They range from small creatures which swim, to larger ones which ambush from beneath the sands, and indeed to those with primitive limbs which hide among the vegetation and prey on smaller animals. Some herbivorous forms, but mainly carnivorous.

Iasg-Fion: Aquatic creatures with a backbone, created by Fion - hence the name - more recently. These are among the most common creatures, thanks to a recent effort by both Dubh and Fion to encourage the more amphibious forms to take to the land, their descendants now everything from small rodents to large herds of grassland creatures.

For now, I'll set a temporary deadline of a week today - Sunday the 2nd - but if you guys can post earlier than that, I'll try to process it. Any questions, just fire away.

Orago
I Am that Is

Postby Orago » 12:04:11 Monday, 26 September, 2016

I am interested in the game so far. I look forward to the final game being accessible to everyone here, provided the testing goes well.

In reminds me of Huojin's game, Parthenon or whatever it was called, way back. (I have the memory of a bear trap, i know)

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Huojin » 17:58:03 Monday, 26 September, 2016

It's definitely reminiscent of Pantheon, Orago - except I think Coin's game is much better thought out, focuses on doing a couple of important things well rather than a whole bunch so-so-ly, and has a chance of actually running and being a success :P

____

Influence Evolution: Allow those worms that dwell increasingly on the land to continue their development in that regard - however their aquatic brethern shall depart markedly from this path, growing bone-like structures within their lengths which develop into spines and other bones. They will also develop their vasty maws into jaws, better able to hunt and ensnare their prey throughout the oceans. Winding and weaving throughout the waves and ocean depths, they will dominate these oceans.

Alter Climate: Exert my energies on the task of beginning again the melting of the ice sheets, reducing them entirely to water and drastically raising the sea levels across the planet.

((Just testing some functions, if others want ideas I suggest creating new life, perhaps enlightening the ground critters or the sea creatures, opposing my melting of the ice sheets, or raising islands from beneath the seas perhaps.))

Return to “Game Ideas”