Divinity, a gods game (test run)

Suggest ideas for new games.
Coin
Mise, Pangur Bán agus PILOT WHALES

Re: Divinity - Test Game - Sign-Ups Open

Post by Coin » 22:09:23 Monday, 26 September, 2016

Orago wrote:I am interested in the game so far. I look forward to the final game being accessible to everyone here, provided the testing goes well.

In reminds me of Huojin's game, Parthenon or whatever it was called, way back. (I have the memory of a bear trap, i know)
Glad to hear it! It is indeed very reminiscent of Huo's old game, though with tweaks and changes to make it more easily GMable, I think. Time will tell though...

Gesar
Social Justice Stasi
Social Justice Stasi

Re: Divinity, a gods game (test run)

Post by Gesar » 23:25:25 Monday, 26 September, 2016

Influence evolution: Working from the nimbler, smaller descendants of the four-legged iasg-fion, support the growth and proliferation of a new endothermic, haired species that birth their young live and carry them in their pouches. This nimble group will, hopefully, be able to spread among the fungal forests and trees of the world, thereby avoiding the worms (and utilizing their warm blood to resist fungal infections).

Oppose Action: Stop the attempts at melting the ice caps, for the sake of preserving the fragile balance of this tenuous planet.
BrazilSim: Lampião, King of Cangaco, in Ain't Nothin' But a Gangster Party
Smyg wrote:The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of Gesar coping with being a total fucking a-grade revolutionary thinker

Coin

Post by Coin » 08:18:19 Saturday, 01 October, 2016

Gesar wrote:Influence evolution: Working from the nimbler, smaller descendants of the four-legged iasg-fion, support the growth and proliferation of a new endothermic, haired species that birth their young live and carry them in their pouches. This nimble group will, hopefully, be able to spread among the fungal forests and trees of the world, thereby avoiding the worms (and utilizing their warm blood to resist fungal infections).

Oppose Action: Stop the attempts at melting the ice caps, for the sake of preserving the fragile balance of this tenuous planet.
All excellent :D same goes for Huojin. Huzzah for the war of the worms.

Waiting on MoO; if I get his turn, should process tomorrow for sure, but likely to process anyway with 2/3.

Master of Oblivion
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Master of Oblivion » 03:00:52 Monday, 03 October, 2016

Sorry about the delay. I am with family right now so I have been pretty busy.

Influence Evolution: Influence the evolution of four-legged iasg-fion. Develop a subspecies that inhabits the dessert of Deas. This subspecies will have rapid speed so they could avoid the fearsome worms of the world. Furthermore they will develop humps that can store water and fat to survive without nutrients for long periods of time.

Influence Evolution: Harden the shells of the shelled creatures of the sea and make their size larger. Provide them with a stinger filled with a neuron-toxin with which they can use to resist the great worms of the sea.
Louisiana: Edmond Lavaeu
Gesar's Game: Hoping We don't leave the magic fantasy land
1990: Israel
Metal Gear: Iran
Aliens!: USSR
New Vegas: Salvador

You either die Fo'Dolo or see yourself live long enough to be the Patton.

Coin

Post by Coin » 08:48:50 Tuesday, 04 October, 2016

Master of Oblivion wrote:Sorry about the delay. I am with family right now so I have been pretty busy.

Influence Evolution: Influence the evolution of four-legged iasg-fion. Develop a subspecies that inhabits the dessert of Deas. This subspecies will have rapid speed so they could avoid the fearsome worms of the world. Furthermore they will develop humps that can store water and fat to survive without nutrients for long periods of time.

Influence Evolution: Harden the shells of the shelled creatures of the sea and make their size larger. Provide them with a stinger filled with a neuron-toxin with which they can use to resist the great worms of the sea.
Cheers - shall try to process tonight, in that case! Had intended to process on Sunday night, but wound up busier than expected. Tonight should be clear however.

Coin

Post by Coin » 21:53:39 Wednesday, 05 October, 2016

For the curious, the actions are in the posts above from Gesar, Huojin and Master of Oblivion; there is an index of turns in the first post. Turn 4 below.
Genesis II - Turn 4
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
As the evolutionary tree continues to diversify and spread, the three great divine powers of the world continue to shape creations in their own preferred image. Dubh's patronage and protection of the worms continues apace. In the seas in particular, these become the terror of other creatures within the deep. Spines are developed by Dubh to better hold them together, and they are given jaws. Though less common in the deeper parts of the ocean, where their more primitive brethren continue to hold sway as top predators, in the shallow seas and on the surface of the open ocean, the Nathair-Dubh's backboned variety, the Nathair-Droma, are the top predators.

The backboned creatures now on land in the north-west also diversify greatly. Open grassland continues to remove much of the deeper rainforests of Brathair and Piuthair's archipelagos; and great herds of the six-legged herbivores continue to flourish. They grow in size, gradually becoming titans compared to even the largest terrestrial worms of the region. As the forests fall away, so too does the dominance of the worm as the main predator. Instead, packs of six-legged carnivores, with primitive teeth and sharp claws, engage in an evolutionary arms race, each island home to different types and sizes.

The flying insects of these, meanwhile, take a step forward of their own. Giant winged forms seem to do particularly well - moving south and east, into lands as yet untouched by flying creatures, while their smaller cousins are equally prolific, if yes dramatic, in filling the food chain gap as plentiful and diverse life forms.

It is not the six legged but the four legged forms which flourish in the great deserts of Deas, however. Geal moves to make a form perfectly adapted to this harsh, almost featureless waste - able to move over great distances in herds. Some forms of these most conservative creatures when it comes to water become common in the grasslands of western Deas also, with migratory herds moving north and south, following the rains. Some move across the narrow land bridge to eastern Deas, becoming more adapted to the mountainous areas there or the open grasslands.

Deas is also witness to another attempt at influencing evolution. Bian-Fìon - small, four legged tree and fungi climbing animals become common. Warm blooded and with pouches in which to carry their young, they proliferate in the islands dominated by the fungal forests, and even in some of the rainforests of eastern Deas too. They are helped along by Fìon, who predicts a bright future for them. Though some fall prey to the worms, most avoid them by climbing higher, particularly in the great mushroom forests. With few major herbivores to clear these forests, the Bian-Fìon are common in increasingly massive forests along southern Deas.

The dominance of the Nathair-Droma - the spinal worms - at sea, causes Geal however to take pity on a thus-far neglected genus of the evolutionary tree. The shelled creatures are helped to respond to stronger jaws with which to eat them on the part of the great sea serpents, with stronger shells which increase in size. Particularly in the coastal lagoons of the globe, these larger species become immune to all but the biggest of the worms. Some even begin to take on the role of predators themselves, through the innovation of poisonous, and paralysing stings. The great worms, being thin-skinned by their nature, fall victim to the stings which are borne by some of their former prey - with giant sea snails or hundred-legged shelled parasites then feasting slowly on the paralysed worms which get too close.

All this is complicated, however, by a battle in the heavens over the climate of the planet. Dubh and Fìon oppose each other wholeheartedly over the moves by Dubh to tilt the planet slighty towards the sun, to warm her further. In opposition, Fìon seeks to protect the balance of land and sea. The result is a back-and-forth of unusual orbital wobbles, bringing massive storms and alternatively increasing and decreasing the ice caps. Eventually, Fìon just about succeeds in protecting the status quo as far as the polar regions are concerned. Many coasts are changed substantially though - and so too, islands and low lying archipelagos which disappear or are reformed by silts deposited by the strong currents. The great storms caused by temporarily increased temperatures battered Deas in particular - and, as a result, the straits with Tuath lose many islands to the seas, and partition the continent in half at high tide - also dividing the migratory herds of Geal's creation.

The climate chaos also causes a minor extinction event within the seas. Some of the great coastal worm predators of the Nathair-Droma are wiped out, as too are some of the largest of the shellcreatures. Most depressingly for Dubh, perhaps, is the additional wiping out of many of the Nathair-Dubh which had existed in Tuath's southern coastal regions. Deprived of their endless burrowing in the sands, grasses begin to take hold, and move north. Some of the iasg-fion in the polar seas are also driven into extinction, their only remnants forever changed by a swift adapting to the changing seas by becoming warm blooded and larger. Some of these Iasg-Mora even begin to compete with the oceanic Nathair-Droma.

One family which does well out of the ecological chaos is the Bian Fion, however - Fion's newest creations are now prolific across West and East Deas. The fungal forests too seem to become more prolific - and East Deas's climate, more humid now with increased rainfall passing through the narrows to the west and north-east, seems ideally suited to the spread of huge mushroom forests.

Coin

Post by Coin » 21:16:29 Thursday, 06 October, 2016

I also completely forgot to say, the turn deadline is Sunday!

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 21:20:43 Sunday, 09 October, 2016

1. Influence evolution: Transform some of the worms of the sea. We will form them from their jawed-and-boned forms into great winding serpents of the seas, bestowing them with hardened scales and a maw filled with teeth, as well as four short but powerful limbs along their length, ending in great talons. My final gift, I will imbue these creatures with the ability to fly, twisting without wings through the air.

2. Promethean Enlightenment, the Gift of Thought: Work in concert with [Fion, I think? Whoever Gesar is] to provide the gift of thought to the [kangaroo motherfuckers Gesar made].
Last edited by Huojin on 23:02:15 Sunday, 09 October, 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Master of Oblivion
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Master of Oblivion » 22:02:37 Sunday, 09 October, 2016

1. Create Fauna: Spread the Fungal forests northward in Deas. As the Forrest spreads Northward, have it increase in density, making it hard for the flying worms to see creatures roaming on the ground or the mid-levels of the Forrest. Modify the the great mushrooms that their spores are now emitted as a hazy green cloud, thus providing sporadic amounts of cover for animals in the area.

2. Influence Evolution: Make the shelled creatures of the sea larger, yet again. For those creatures that dwell in the lagoons, I want to give them the lung capacity to hold their breathe for periods of time for 10-15 minutes so they can scamper along the beaches and shore-lines. Furthermore I want to modify their legs to allow them to run at moderately fast speeds allowing them to hunt creatures of the land. Smaller versions of these creatures will have their toxins modified so that it quickly kills their prey. They can quickly feat upon it and return to the water. Larger versions will continue to have a paralyzing toxin and will drag their prey to the water to drown it and feast upon it for longer periods of time.
Louisiana: Edmond Lavaeu
Gesar's Game: Hoping We don't leave the magic fantasy land
1990: Israel
Metal Gear: Iran
Aliens!: USSR
New Vegas: Salvador

You either die Fo'Dolo or see yourself live long enough to be the Patton.

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 23:02:38 Sunday, 09 October, 2016

((Disclaimer, I edited my turn to change my second action, just for transparency's sake.))

Gesar
Social Justice Stasi
Social Justice Stasi

Post by Gesar » 16:49:08 Thursday, 13 October, 2016

Influence evolution: provide the bian-fion with prehensile tails for better climbing and balance, to compensate for the longer legs and straightened posture I'm providing them to give them the capability of walking long distances. Additionally, those in they will be given thicker pelts and a slowed metabolism, to better survive what must come next.

Promethean Enlightenment: With the support of Dubh, craft one of his own creations into a vehicle for the enlightenment of the bian-fion. When the weather drops, he will provide them with sanctuary.

Meanwhile...
A Chill Wind

Though the climate of the world has changed much, the weather of the globe has not gone too far to either extreme. All it would take however, is but a slight shove of the orbit of the world - and a temporary cooling of the planet could plunge it into an ice age. Used wisely, you might encourage the spread of your own creations... but unwisely, it might end them all.
Smyg wrote:The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of Gesar coping with being a total fucking a-grade revolutionary thinker

Coin

Post by Coin » 20:06:25 Thursday, 13 October, 2016

For those unsure - Gesar's last action is a one-use "card" action. Each player received a card in their inbox at the start of the age - once you post it, noone can edit their actions if they've posted previously. Glad to hear suggestions on it working differently after this turn!

Also worth bearing in mind that Huo and Ges's action for starting the Promethean Enlightenment chain - basically, creating sentient life - comes from this bit of the rules. You need to create the medium of enlightenment, so Gesar/Huo's action doesn't exactly match up in terms of how you should do it.
SpoilerShow
Promethean Enlightenment - You were given many powers by the Creator of the world - but the greatest and most dangerous is the ability to pass on some of these gifts, and to create self-aware, sentient life.

You may attempt to grant this to an existing beast of your choosing - but it will take many generations. Build the medium of your enlightenment - whether a monolith, a unique form of flora, or any creation that will bring wisdom and understanding to your chosen species. The construction will take one turn, and can only be begun once the world has entered an age where advanced life is widespread.

Once it is constructed, ascension will take 3 actions over 2 turns, and with at least two different players taking part. The last three actions, once a medium is built, are the Gift of Thought; the Gift of Speech; and the Gift of Fire.

However, should this action be opposed by more than support it at all at any stage, then it will fail. In addition, you may not start the chain again. Completion of this chain of events will herald the end of the Creation Ages; and the beginning of the First Age.
I'll explain this properly in the turn itself - but got a question before I post. Would it be easier for folk to follow if I add some images to the turn? Something vaguely suitable to the flora/fauna that evolves in a picture or something, for instance - would appreciate hearing thoughts on it.

Turn will be processed on Sunday, most likely.

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 21:10:02 Thursday, 13 October, 2016

Pictures would be great to have, but not vital if it proves too complex. It certainly would help the sense of creation.

Also, given that the Promethean Enlightenment has been more fully explained and requires the building of a "medium" and all three actions, I'm of a mind that it perhaps takes too long? I mean it depends on how long we anticipate Genesis 2 to last, but 4 (or 5, if we have to wait for the monolith or whatever to be built?) seems quite a time.

I might well be totally misjudging the length of time spent in each stage though, so feel free to ignore me.

Gesar
Social Justice Stasi
Social Justice Stasi

Post by Gesar » 23:25:00 Thursday, 13 October, 2016

Three turns including construction makes sense, personally. Four is just...excessive

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 22:53:39 Monday, 24 October, 2016

Coin wrote:Turn will be processed on Sunday, most likely.
Hey Coin, know you've been hella busy, but just wanted to flag this up on your radar. MoO and I were chatting in IRC and we're eager to PRAISE THE WORMS.

Return to “Game Ideas”