A Molotov Strategy Game Ladder Tournament

Suggest ideas for new games.
scorpion
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

A Molotov Strategy Game Ladder Tournament

Post by scorpion » 02:08:16 Thursday, 03 November, 2016

I'd like to make a suggestion of creating a Strategy Game ladder tournament on here for fun. I know a lot of us play strategy games on PC(likely one of the main reasons we all enjoy BoP), however I never seem to notice any members playing together. So I wanted to present this idea to introduce a little fun competition into the mix to see if maybe a few of us would like to dust off some old games and take a stab at gaining a spot on a ladder.

The way it'd work is simple. A single thread presenting the ladders to choose from would be started. Any player wishing to add a new game & ladder to the thread need only post the request. The requesting player would hold top rung, until they are un-seated by a joining player.

So for example if I were to start one, it may look like this:
Company Of Heroes 2 1v1: Mode- Point Capture
1.Scorpion
2.Serenissima
3.And so on
If some one wished to add one, it could look like this: (Luc being the one who started the ladder, gets top spot. After its in the order who joins until players become un-seated).
Age of Empires II 1v1: Mode- Conquest
1.Luc
2.Scorpion
3.Cephal
4.Serenissima

There would of course be some general overall rules displayed regarding forfeits, connection loss, missed matches, map choice etc.

It would be something meant to encourage some friendly competition in a laid back setting.

Would be interested to hear thoughts, and displays of interest. Even though it could begin with as few as 2 people.
Metal Gear BoP-GM
1936 BoP-Nazi Germany

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Re: A Molotov Strategy Game Ladder Tournament

Post by Huojin » 03:05:44 Thursday, 03 November, 2016

With sufficient notice and time, I could be roped into this. Any Total War game up to Shogun II for sure, and I could be convinced (possibly) to reinstall Rome II.

I think I've got Red Alert 3 knocking around too, if that'd also apply (although I'm hella rusty).

scorpion
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post by scorpion » 03:10:26 Thursday, 03 November, 2016

Huojin wrote:With sufficient notice and time, I could be roped into this. Any Total War game up to Shogun II for sure, and I could be convinced (possibly) to reinstall Rome II.

I think I've got Red Alert 3 knocking around too, if that'd also apply (although I'm hella rusty).
A workable Sufficient time & notice system will be worked out indefinitely along with the general rules. Any strategy game, including Red alert 3 would apply.
Metal Gear BoP-GM
1936 BoP-Nazi Germany

Tellos
Stalinist
Stalinist

Post by Tellos » 04:57:23 Thursday, 03 November, 2016

I think I got CoH jsut never played.
United States of America - BOP 1830

United States of America - BOP 1935

Russian Federation - BOP Metal Gear

scorpion
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post by scorpion » 10:53:18 Thursday, 03 November, 2016

Tellos wrote:I think I got CoH jsut never played.
All the more reason to give it a whirl in a ladder setting. I can't tell you how many strategy games i have where ive hardly touched mp. Doing this gives a little extra reason to do so, as it is among friends.
Metal Gear BoP-GM
1936 BoP-Nazi Germany

Red John
Revisionist
Revisionist

Post by Red John » 12:56:42 Thursday, 03 November, 2016

I'd be down for Total War or something.

scorpion
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post by scorpion » 14:20:13 Thursday, 03 November, 2016

Awesome! as stated it'd only take a few players to start the thread, then others can join as they please. I'll work on drafting the general rules. Game specific rules(where they apply) will wait until we see what ladders we have open.
Metal Gear BoP-GM
1936 BoP-Nazi Germany

Tellos
Stalinist
Stalinist

Post by Tellos » 20:44:49 Thursday, 03 November, 2016

I own 3 Total war games. Empire, Warhammer and Shogun 2.
United States of America - BOP 1830

United States of America - BOP 1935

Russian Federation - BOP Metal Gear

scorpion
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post by scorpion » 21:46:44 Thursday, 03 November, 2016

Sounds like we'll have a pretty good mix of choices from what people have posted thus far
Metal Gear BoP-GM
1936 BoP-Nazi Germany

scorpion
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post by scorpion » 02:32:44 Friday, 04 November, 2016

General Rule Set.

In addition different games will likely have additional rules that only pertain to them, and the circumstances they present.

-General Rules-
1.Honor & Integrity: are Paramount when taking part in the Molotov Strategy Game Ladder. We're all friends at the end of the day, and here to have fun. If you incure a loss, let your adversary know, he won't be so lucky next time.

2.Forfeiture-Forfeits occur when a player:

-Leaves the game without match completion at any point during the set event.

-A player misses the event, and is absent at the set time.(Can be overruled by a gentleman's agreement).

-Player decides to surrender/call the game in the perceived victors favor.

3.Loss of Connection:

-Loss of connection results in the match being terminated in the defenders favor. No change in the ladder occurs. However the challenger can immediately issue another challenge against the defender

-If the game is obviously overwhelmingly in the favor of one player, the win goes to that player. and the loser will take the loss honorably.

4.Ladder Challenges:

-In order to avoid endless challenges to a position, and games to attend. Players can only issue one challenge per week, no matter the amount of ladders they are in. This should make it so players have the possibility of fighting 2 matches a week.

5.Setting event date:

-The defending and challenging player are responsible for setting their game date. They are to post it in the thread after it is determined so it can be added to a game que, visable to all, that will display all challenges.

6.Map Choices:

-Maps are to be Random whenever posssible. Reason being, neither player has the advantage of picking an overly familiar map, and players wont play the same maps all the time. This forces the use of strategic thinking, and not reliance on familiarity.

-A Gentlemans agreements can overule this.

7.Faction Conflict:
-If both players want to be the same faction, it goes to the defender. But in this instance the challenger will get to pick the map without issue.

8.Gentlemans Agreement:
-These agreements are based on integrity. They can be applied to any game specific rules regarding settings. Settings with a Random option are the 'go to' however in the face of disagreement.

Game Rules Examples:
*denotes the player has not battled to earn top position.

Age of Empires II 1v1: Mode- Random Map(Standard Conquest)
1.Scorpion*

-Random Maps (All) unless agreement made.

Age of Empires III 1v1: Mode- Supremacy
1.Scorpion*

Age of Mythology 1v1: Mode- Conquest
1.Scorpion*

Company of Heroes 2 1v1: Mode- Victory Point
1.Scorpion*

-Random Map-67 total, each player chooses a number 1-67, type the numbers out at the same time, and play on the map that lands on the difference.
-Random Start locations.

Metal Gear BoP-GM
1936 BoP-Nazi Germany

Luftwafer
Urso-Maoist
Urso-Maoist

Post by Luftwafer » 21:53:05 Friday, 04 November, 2016

Have a group EU4 game

Return to “Game Ideas”