Played in a free-form style, with the possibility of brief roleplaying scenes in IRC for those players who request it.
Inspired by the Indiana Jones movies, very real WW2-era policies and organications, and recent discoveries in the deep Arctic, far into the dark... (The Independent, Fox News, Russia Today, The Sun - gotta love diversity in quality sources, eh?)
FRANZ JOSEF LAND
Franz Jozef Land. Over six thousand square miles of completely uninhabited land and glacial ice, roamed only polar bears and snow foxes, the shores frequented by walruses and seals. Not a single tree in sight. According to most versions of history, first visited by Norwegian hunters in 1865, and named by the Austro-Hungarian North Pole Expedition of 1872–74. Claimed by the Empire of Russia during the Great War, due to fears of Central Powers intrusion...
With Soviet interest dwindling after their annexation in 1926, these isles deep in the Arctic now lay abandoned, except for the small crew of a small USSR outpost, left largely to their own devices by Uncle Joe due to the war. Unknown to these isolated reds, a full year after Operation Barbarossa and desperate for new roads to victory, the Führer himself has commissioned a foray into the unknown. Kommando Schatzgrüber has been born. Escorted by the U-387, a detachment of Nazis arrive... but are they out for just meteorological data, or something else? Are the odd geological formations just natural phenomenon? Why are the wildlife acting strange? What's hiding in the old Imperial ruins? And what are those flashing lights seen flying over the bay that one night, by a Red Army grunt on night watch? Find out, in...
Black Ice: The Quest for Thule
Characters will have opposing goals and backgrounds, but their personalities are decided by the players themselves.
Additional roles may be opened up once the ones below have been filled in.
- Kapitänleutnant Johann Westhofen, father of two and commander of the U-387, reluctantly assigned to defend the German expedition. (MADDOX)
- Dr. Reinhard von Rampf, head of the scientific expedition and member of the Ahnenerbe Institute, a mysterious unit of the SS. (HUOJIN)
- Капитан Vitaly Borodin, Red Army officer, decorated veteran, and head of security at the Soviet station, where he came to seek solace. (SNACKS)
- Dr. Felix Voronov, once-prominent marine biologist and former head of the All-Union Arctic Institute, reassigned to the wastes in 1936.
- Codename "PRIVATEER", information classified. (GESAR)
- SECRET CHARACTER of unknown origin, (SERENISSIMA)