Saenwyn Returns(!)

Suggest ideas for new games.
Gesar
Social Justice Stasi
Social Justice Stasi

Saenwyn Returns(!)

Post by Gesar » 00:59:46 Friday, 24 February, 2017

Sometimes dreams really do come true.

So, most of you will remember the aborted low-fantasy govsim game I ran called Saenwyn. For those of you who aren't in the know, here's the pitch from the last time I tried to run:
There is no magic left in the world. That much is certain.

Scholars can point, without hesitation, to a time filled with miracles and horrors that we will never know. This was a time when the Elven Sharifate controlled the entire south and did battle with the ifrit and ghūl as much as they fought the heroes and holy warriors that founded our fair nation, the Kingdom of Saenwyn. This was a time when the barbarians of the Senevni warred with giants at the behest of shamans and shapeshifters, and stranger beings still from the western wastes were not unknown. This much we can prove.

Now, for better or worse, things are not so wondrous. Displeased with the hubris of Man and his counterparts, the Three have veiled the ancient arts and punished those who claim to practice them. Known equally for their scholarship as they were for their stone-shaping, the dwarfholds of the Ingthorp Mountains have closed their doors for generations. The giants of the north have retreated up to the glaciers, and years of hunting and purges have eradicated the blighted ratkin. Even the mighty Sharifate, an empire built upon the Art, has proven to be outmatched by enemies who fight with mere steel and coin.

No, there is no magic in the world, and only the deacons of the Holy Throne can offer a reason as to why. But there are more important things to worry about.

Fourteen years ago, the tide of a decade-long civil war between supporters of House Tremayne and the anti-royalist Confederation led by Fergus Louarn shifted massively when the combined forces of Lord Jace Kern and Prince Gustave rescued the remnants of King Jowan during a desperate battle at the Ividalan border. The Battle of Pilgrim's Pass, as it came to be called, proved a turning point in the war, convincing the young Duchess of Massalia to abandon her neutrality and call her banners in favor of the royalists. In the two years that followed, a reforged coalition of royalists, mercenaries, and the realm's powerful swept aside the Confederation and their republican ideals. The King's health began to deteriorate after the war, however, and two years after reclaiming his throne, he passed away, naming Prince Gustave as regent for his oldest son.

Though competent, Gustave proved to be unpopular with the nobility and commoners alike. Soon, after a series of attacks by former republicans in Gustave's domain, Lord Jace forced the prince to hand over the regency of young King Corentin. Always the more popular choice (to say nothing of his friendship with King Jowan), Jace nonetheless pursued a less-polarizing strategy than Gustave and achieved mixed results. Banditry still plagues much of the country, and the old wounds of the civil war run deep among the lords and merchant class. Additionally, the Duke of Tailledun's policy of appeasement has left the enemies of Saenwyn looking at the realm like a particularly juicy target. As King Corentin enters the third year of reigning by himself, one is led to wonder if the realm's protector is truly fit for the task of ruling in the pack of jackals calling themselves the nobility of Saenwyn.

So, this is an old (I mean like, really old) project that a few of us used to work on and never got around to finishing, but I figured I need something a bit more constructive to do with my time, so I'm bringing it back. The gist of the game is that it would be a fantasy govsim, like the ones we used to have, except more focused on internal politicking than everybody trying to make themselves King of Wherethefuckever. People would play as the monarch and the dukes/a count, all of which have a different agenda and different loyalties. If this game gets super popular (yeah, okay), I might open up a few positions, but that said, there's 8 positions already and I wouldn't want more than that. As noted, the whole thing would be low-to-no magic, so there's also that to consider.

Other things I'd be trying to include in this game would be similar to how Huojin does it, with NPCs that have agendas of their own, and possibly some sort of thing involving events/quests just to keep it interesting. Other than that, I've got a pretty solid idea of what this shit will look like if/when it gets done, so yeah, feel free to express interest or whatever.

Map and basic rundown of who's who:

C: The Crownlands, under direct control of King Corentin, the nineteen-year old son of King Jowan, into the third year of his reign and having just married a princess of nearby Ividal.
1: Duchy of Lathair, ruled by the embittered former regent, Prince Gustave. Resource poor but strategically important, has fallen on hard times lately.
2: Duchy of Moryd, ruled by the son of Fergus Louarn. Influential for their relations with nearby kingdoms and their friendship with merchants, but still considered by many to be traitorous.
3: Duchy of Cambaern, the breadbasket of Saenwyn but also the site of many of the battles of the civil war. Currently undergoing a succession crisis which has led to the local nobility and the Lord Regent, a friend of the king, butting heads.
4: County Southmarch, a fief that answers only to the King and serves as the main base for the royal standing army, currently under command of the King's Marshal and closest confidant.
5: Duchy of Nolvagne, a relatively isolated duchy that maintained its neutrality in the war, with rumored mineral wealth. The clans of the Claw are famed both for their skill in battle and their lack of unity.
6: Duchy of Massalia, the wealthiest province of Saenwyn and home to the bulk of its naval power, as well as having more than its share of back-alley intrigue. Has for the past twenty years been under the rule of Lady Jehan-Prospere, who maintains strong relations with the Kharkhedon Republic despite their traditional rivalry with the Saenwyne nobility.
7: Duchy of Tailledun, ruled by Lord Jace Kern. Formerly the naval stronghold of Saenwyn, the heavily-fortified region known for its wealthy gold and iron mines has since suffered from raids by the Maryaenae pirates, Senevni mercenaries, and wars with Kharkhedon.
For a variety of reasons, including my failure to build as much of the world as I'd have liked, it never got off the ground. But now that I have a lot more time on my hands, I'd like to restart it, assuming people are interested. I will, however, be limiting this game to a hard cap of 10, following a successful turn, with a soft cap of 8 (the major factions) to start.

If you're interested, express interest here, etc. People who wanted a specific role last time have 24 hours to claim that role, but sign-ups will be first come, first serve, and those who can't get the role they request will get preferential treatment in order of their signup.

Interest so far:
King Corentin (Huojin, confirmed)
Duchy of Cambaern (Smyg, confirmed)
Duchy of Massalia (Snacks, confirmed)
Duchy of Lathair (OYID, confirmed)
Duchy of Tailledun (Seren, pending/first choice of alternative)
Duchy of Nolvagne (Coin, confirmed)
Last edited by Gesar on 12:26:11 Friday, 24 February, 2017, edited 6 times in total.
BrazilSim: Lampião, King of Cangaco, in Ain't Nothin' But a Gangster Party
Seren's WWII Adventure: Manuel Azaña Díaz, President of the Second Spanish Republic, in ¡No pasarán!
Smyg wrote:The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of Gesar coping with being a total fucking a-grade revolutionary thinker

Smyg
GETTIN' REAL TIRED OF YOUR MACHIAVELLIAN BULLSHIT, GESAR

Re: Saenwyn Returns(!)

Post by Smyg » 01:03:50 Friday, 24 February, 2017

If the King remains the same man as before, I shall remain the Lord Regent of the Duchy of Cambaern, one Lord Gidion of House Dain, Count of Edinnclif, Knight and Veteran of the Pretender's Strife.
Comrade Astrojildo Pereira Duarte Silva
Secretary-General of the Partido Comunista do Brasil
(PCB)

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 01:04:38 Friday, 24 February, 2017

King Corentin returns. All hail the Royal House of Tremayne.

Snacks
rhetorical masturbation

Post by Snacks » 01:26:06 Friday, 24 February, 2017

Lady Jehan-Prospere of House Guefet, Duchess of Massalia, Warden of Elephant's Bay, Dame Regent of the Barony of Emporion.

Gesar
Social Justice Stasi
Social Justice Stasi

Post by Gesar » 01:43:57 Friday, 24 February, 2017

Welcome back, my lords and lady.
Seren's WWII Adventure: Manuel Azaña Díaz, President of the Second Spanish Republic, in ¡No pasarán!
Smyg wrote:The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of Gesar coping with being a total fucking a-grade revolutionary thinker

OYID
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post by OYID » 03:11:42 Friday, 24 February, 2017

At first I was like what is this is this new then I was like oh hey I think I remember and then I saw I had actually signed up and I was like hell yeah I'm returning as Lord Tristan of House Louarn, Duke of Moryd, Baron Melrose, Lord Protector of the City of Glass.
1968 Aliens!: US of A.

Serenissima
England Expects Every Man Will Do His Duty

Post by Serenissima » 05:12:44 Friday, 24 February, 2017

I'll take something - and you can probably guess which of the remaining duchies - but if all the prior players return to their same positions then I'll consider something else. Not the bank this time though. :p
"Imagine lies, and then write them down in order. That is literally all authors do!"

Serenissima's WW2 BoP: The GM (obviously)
Metal Gear BoP: Japan
Brazil: Luís Carlos Prestes, the Knight of Hope

Gesar
Social Justice Stasi
Social Justice Stasi

Post by Gesar » 10:43:12 Friday, 24 February, 2017

My favorite Zapatista confirmed for Moryd, Seren will take Tailledunas long as Aegis doesn't show up out of the ether (and can assure me he'll be active). That means Southmarch is almost guaranteed to be open, assuming BG doesn't decide to rejoin the living, and that Maddox and Coin have until 8 PM EST to claim their old roles. Everybody else who wants a go should give me a shout so I can shortlist you for replacing one of these or taking a potential future minor.

Coin
Mise, Pangur Bán agus PILOT WHALES

Post by Coin » 11:23:59 Friday, 24 February, 2017

They may take our game activity, but they may never take our penchant for playing as semi-feudal fantasy Scots!

Reclaiming House Redlance!
Brazilsim: Horacio de Matos
MG BoP: Israel

Gesar
Social Justice Stasi
Social Justice Stasi

Post by Gesar » 12:20:55 Friday, 24 February, 2017

Confirmed, your lordship.

Gesar
Social Justice Stasi
Social Justice Stasi

Post by Gesar » 17:27:03 Friday, 24 February, 2017

Alright so after a little bit of deliberation and no word from BG, Dox, or Aegis I'm gonna go ahead and confirm Seren as well as open up Prince Gustave and County Southmarch to whoever wants them. Be there or be square.

Maddox
"Marche ou Crève"

Post by Maddox » 19:04:58 Friday, 24 February, 2017

I'll take Prince Gustave
Casimir Georges Vachon, Légion de Laffite - Louisiana
Prince Gustave Tremayne, Duke of Lathair, Margrave in the West, Count of Wynriver, Blood Royal
Ralf Persson, Axe Murderer - Dark Waters
Inquisitor Sun Thu Mai/Game Master - The Ironfall Disappearances
<Rinkou> Like, the only thing I listen to is the vibrations of the earth and Joe Rogan podcasts, man

Red John
Revisionist
Revisionist

Post by Red John » 19:31:22 Friday, 24 February, 2017

Could I apply for a future minor role?

Gesar
Social Justice Stasi
Social Justice Stasi

Post by Gesar » 20:38:38 Friday, 24 February, 2017

Dox approved.

RJ, let me know if there's a specific faction you want, otherwise hit me up and we can work something out/decide after the first turn.

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 21:16:11 Friday, 24 February, 2017

Maddox wrote:I'll take Prince Gustave
Conveniently he never left your signature.

#MaddoxIsAnOracle calling it now

Return to “Game Ideas”