23%
23%

Total votes: 13

Master of Oblivion
Administrator
Administrator

Moo Hosts a Game II

Postby Master of Oblivion » 01:06:06 Tuesday, 11 April, 2017

I am considering running a game. It will give some something to do in Africa.
GM of 1898
Louisiana: Edmond Lavaeu
1968: USSR

You either die Fo'Dolo or see yourself live long enough to be the Patton.

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Moo Hosts a Game II

Postby Huojin » 01:07:17 Tuesday, 11 April, 2017

All my love for 1981. Though 1956 would be fun too.

Coin
Mise, Pangur Bán agus PILOT WHALES

Postby Coin » 10:58:35 Tuesday, 11 April, 2017

1956! Nothing like a post-colonial mess to inspire the troops.

Serenissima
(Not) Molotov's Favourite Psychic Schoolgirl

Postby Serenissima » 11:30:15 Tuesday, 11 April, 2017

'56 would be a change for once since it allows Suez to go differently (so UK would be neat, not done it in Cold War). But I could give '68 a crack again as one of the ones I tried before but the games didn't get off the ground (France or Israel, I suppose). 1981 least interesting, to me.
Last edited by Serenissima on 12:44:39 Tuesday, 11 April, 2017, edited 1 time in total.
"Imagine lies, and then write them down in order. That is literally all authors do!"

Louisiana: Antoine d'Ailly, captain of Sorcière, commodore of the Marine de l'Assemblée
Metal Gear BoP: Japan
Saenwyn: Jace Kern, Duke of Tailledun
1968: French Fifth Republic
1800: Britain

DutchGuy
'Conservative Monarchist'

Postby DutchGuy » 11:39:38 Tuesday, 11 April, 2017

Early Cold war games with decolonization are always fun. If not 1956, then 1968 . In the latter scenario, I dibs the Netherlands.
The Republic of Turkey in scorpion's Metal Gear BoP 2006
The Imperial State of Iran in MasterofOblivion's BoP 1968

Useful Dave
Hoxhaist
Hoxhaist

Postby Useful Dave » 13:02:36 Tuesday, 11 April, 2017

I'd take a shot at '56, France'd be an interesting one to try in that timeframe given their lean towards independent operations rather than a wholesale integration into the NATO block despite their membership.

Gesar
Social Justice Stasi
Social Justice Stasi

Postby Gesar » 14:09:44 Tuesday, 11 April, 2017

Eh, I'm pretty set against 56. There really aren't that many interesting small nations.
Saenwyn: A Song of Ashes: Storyteller

Louisiana 1792: Fils de la Révolution: Monsieur le Commissaire de l'Intérieur Thomas Francois Jérôme Cossard, Mayor of Saint-Louis and editor of L'Ami de la République
Liberty in Dark Waters: Leopold Karl von Stenhielm, Baron af Rödesund, Knight and Commander of the Orders of His Majesty the King, convicted traitor
Balance of Power 1968: Mwalimu Julius Nyerere, President and Baba wa Taifa of the United Republic of Tanzania

Smyg wrote:The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of Gesar coping with being a total fucking a-grade revolutionary thinker

Spoiler:
#DraftGesar

DutchGuy

Postby DutchGuy » 14:40:51 Tuesday, 11 April, 2017

Gesar wrote:Eh, I'm pretty set against 56. There really aren't that many interesting ''small'' nations.
You mean funky African dictatorships you can mess around with

Gesar
Social Justice Stasi
Social Justice Stasi

Postby Gesar » 15:25:07 Tuesday, 11 April, 2017

I mean it's gonna be a fucking boring game if half the players have to pick Belgium or Czechoslovakia

Louisiana 1792: Fils de la Révolution: Monsieur le Commissaire de l'Intérieur Thomas Francois Jérôme Cossard, Mayor of Saint-Louis and editor of L'Ami de la République
Liberty in Dark Waters: Leopold Karl von Stenhielm, Baron af Rödesund, Knight and Commander of the Orders of His Majesty the King, convicted traitor
Balance of Power 1968: Mwalimu Julius Nyerere, President and Baba wa Taifa of the United Republic of Tanzania

Smyg wrote:The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of Gesar coping with being a total fucking a-grade revolutionary thinker

Spoiler:
#DraftGesar

DutchGuy

Postby DutchGuy » 16:45:27 Tuesday, 11 April, 2017

Gesar wrote:I mean it's gonna be a fucking boring game if half the players have to pick Belgium or Czechoslovakia

The only nations that are yet to come in existence are a majority of the african states and Malaysia. Most of those will be nations by 1961.

Gesar
Social Justice Stasi
Social Justice Stasi

Postby Gesar » 16:51:05 Tuesday, 11 April, 2017

Missing the forest for the trees here, my dude. I said *interesting* nations - ones who add something to the geopolitical conflict, which is why BOPs work better in later periods.

Spoiler:
#DraftGesar

Serenissima

Postby Serenissima » 20:14:47 Tuesday, 11 April, 2017

I find it's the opposite, personally. The way everything goes is even more set in stone in later time periods and the outcomes all the more predictable, and with much less plausible changes of politics, alignment and so on. Which is why I tend to enjoy things that have an ahistorical twist, or are far enough back that there's chances for things to change.

It'd address some issues by starting October 1, 1956 rather than January 1, since that adds a few more countries (in addition to the existing ones, as there's no shortage outside sub-Saharan Africa) and starts us right with independent Morocco and Tunisia, Hungarian revolution with the USSR trying to hold on to Eastern Europe, the situation in China is still somewhat up in the air with the RoC still holding the UNSC seat and some support, the Suez crisis of course, ongoing conflicts in Malaysia, Algeria, Georgia, the Arab states still in conflict with Israel and still vowing to destroy it, the French Fourth Republic is on its last legs and tottering, India and Pakistan still hate each other, as do the Koreas, there's a bunch of upcoming revolutions players could easily work towards... I'd say there's a lot of opportunities there for players to take something a bit different and do something a bit different with it.

Belgium is a pretty valid pick given they still control the Congo and are interfering there with Katanga for another age, and Czechoslovakia similarly, along with the rest of Eastern Europe, is in a position to change things up due to the Hungarian revolution. Not to mention we get an assassinated UN Secretary General in 1961, and other exciting bits like that.
"Imagine lies, and then write them down in order. That is literally all authors do!"

Louisiana: Antoine d'Ailly, captain of Sorcière, commodore of the Marine de l'Assemblée

Master of Oblivion
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Master of Oblivion » 02:54:00 Wednesday, 12 April, 2017

I'm leaning towards 1968. No one has spoken out against it, strongly.
GM of 1898

Serenissima

Postby Serenissima » 03:12:12 Wednesday, 12 April, 2017

Master of Oblivion wrote:I'm leaning towards 1968. No one has spoken out against it, strongly.

'68 is pretty much the median compromise, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Master of Oblivion
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Master of Oblivion » 03:41:20 Wednesday, 12 April, 2017

Serenissima wrote:
Master of Oblivion wrote:I'm leaning towards 1968. No one has spoken out against it, strongly.

'68 is pretty much the median compromise, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Yeah it brings the openness that earlier periods have, but has lots of interesting nations.
GM of 1898

Return to “Game Ideas”