Yo ho ho, it's time for Pirates! again

Suggest ideas for new games.
FireFly
Anarcho-Communist
Anarcho-Communist

Yo ho ho, it's time for Pirates! again

Post by FireFly » 23:12:08 Sunday, 18 March, 2018

piratesgamemap.jpg
So out of the games I ran in the past I remember Pirates! was the more popular one and seemed to be well received. I'd like to run a game again. If anyone is interested let's do it, I found all the old rules, maps, etc so I'm pretty much good to start if people want to play. You can play as either a pirate captain, or a commander in one of the Colonial navies.

Character stuff!!! Should be straight forward what I'm looking for here.

Name:
Flagship:
Background: **Your character will receive traits as they progress on their career, they will also receive traits starting based on their background. You'll likely have one positive trait and one negative trait starting.**

How it works:

Mostly a free form game in terms of you can do what you want. Gold is needed to upgrade to bigger better ships and buy things in ports, such as crew members, repairs, food, and all important rum. Your ship can move a certain number of tiles a turn. Two types of battles, naval battles and land battles. These will likely be done over discord or PMs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Red John
Stalinist
Stalinist

Re: Yo ho ho, it's time for Pirates! again

Post by Red John » 01:37:31 Monday, 19 March, 2018

How much does this resemble Sid Meiere's pirates?

Xaph
This post sponsored by #XaphsFavFive

Post by Xaph » 09:30:12 Monday, 19 March, 2018

hi is there a mechanic for building wings that are capable of gliding over thermals and carrying people through the air i feel like this is a necessary question before i create my character

FireFly
Anarcho-Communist
Anarcho-Communist

Post by FireFly » 11:41:06 Monday, 19 March, 2018

Red John wrote:
01:37:31 Monday, 19 March, 2018
I was inspired by that game originally when I created this, but it's been so long since I've played Sid Meier's Pirates! so I cannot give a 100%, but I'd imagine rather a lot of resemblance.
Xaph wrote:
09:30:12 Monday, 19 March, 2018
hi is there a mechanic for building wings that are capable of gliding over thermals and carrying people through the air i feel like this is a necessary question before i create my character
Nope, just plain old regular boring Earth tech circa 1650.

Xaph

Post by Xaph » 17:27:41 Monday, 19 March, 2018

hmm i have to admit that's pretty disappointing

Xaph

Post by Xaph » 18:43:24 Monday, 19 March, 2018

i mean, usually when one thinks of pirates, they think of men with balsa-wood glider wings that allow them to coast on thermals through the sky, right?

acecipher
Stalinist
Stalinist

Post by acecipher » 22:09:33 Monday, 19 March, 2018

Name: Jaques Rafael de Aguirre
Flagship: Saint Pierre
Nationality: Basque
Background:

Jaques was born the son of a poor Fisherman in a small coastal village in northern Gascony, settled primarily by people of Basque origin, to parents Joaquim and Isabella, a couple who eloped on Joaquim's boat when his parents refused to approve of his marriage. They raised their boy as their father, as a skilled and talented sailor with a love and pasion for the sea. However, all was not to be a happy life for long: Jaques's third sibling, a daughter, perished inside her mother, and the difficult labor also took her life as well. Grief-stricken, Joaquim left his three boys with trusted relatives and went off to enlist in the French Navy.

Jaques, the hothead that he was at 10, was turned down for being merely a boy and demanding equal status as a hand, having been skilled since a young age at sailing; however, certain less than scrupulous types found him to their liking, and he quickly proved himself useful and, strangely enough, eager. He quickly worked his way through the ranks with his attention to detail and hard work making him stand out from the others, and his aggressiveness making sure he never backed down when challenged. He quickly proved himself an excellent hand, and was entrusted recently with a captured ship, one he sailed to safety amid storms that scattered and lost the rest of the fleet he was with. Now, somewhat stranded and alone but with a dependable crew in the Carribean, he has decided it would be best for himself and his men to set off on their own, making their living the only way they know how.
Brazil: Social Democratic Party

Serenissima
England Expects Every Man Will Do His Duty

Post by Serenissima » 22:54:31 Monday, 19 March, 2018

Provisionally put me down as a French captain.
"Imagine lies, and then write them down in order. That is literally all authors do!"

Serenissima's WW2 BoP: The GM (obviously)
Metal Gear BoP: Japan
V4: Hubèrt d'Amboise
Interesting Times: Rektor Hedvika Nováková of the Universita
Reconquista: King Vermudo of Leon-Galicia
1985 BoP: ☭☭☭☭

Red John
Stalinist
Stalinist

Post by Red John » 07:59:25 Tuesday, 20 March, 2018

FireFly wrote:
11:41:06 Monday, 19 March, 2018
Red John wrote:
01:37:31 Monday, 19 March, 2018
I was inspired by that game originally when I created this, but it's been so long since I've played Sid Meier's Pirates! so I cannot give a 100%, but I'd imagine rather a lot of resemblance.
Xaph wrote:
09:30:12 Monday, 19 March, 2018
Nope, just plain old regular boring Earth tech circa 1650.
I'm interested then, that game is really fun.

Gesar
Social Justice Shah
Social Justice Shah

Post by Gesar » 15:48:46 Tuesday, 20 March, 2018

I'm in. Will either be a mestizo captain or English.

Name: Brian Dubh O'Neill
Flagship: Queen Maeve
Nationality: Irish-Spanish
Background: Of all the Irish families who have of late suffered under English rule, the most prominent might be Clan O'Neill. The second son of a cousin to Hugh "the Great O'Neill", Earl of Tyrone, Brian Dubh was born in Dunkirk to a father who had enlisted in the eponymous local privateers and a Spanish mother recognized as the bastard of a local don. Blessed with a head for numbers, a godly (if slightly standoffish) disposition, and a love of old books, it came as no surprise when his older brother received a commission into the Spanish army while Brian himself was sent to the College of Saint-Omer, to study alongside his fellow Catholics. Here, his studies on the natural philosophies and knack for commerce earned the attention of his Spanish grandfather, who soon enlisted Brian in helping manage the affairs of his Caribbean assets, an occupation that led the young exile to fall in love with the region.

This, as all stories go, soon changed. Word spread of English actions in Ulster and the slow betrayal of the old Gaelic order, a fact that enraged Brian and led him to pressure his grandfather and Caribbean contacts to support the Irish cause, but it was the rebellion of Confederate Ireland -and his brother's death as a volunteer in that cause- that inspired him to take up arms. With what little inheritance and assistance from his grandfather that he could manage, Brian outfitted a privateer vessel and earned himself a commission as navigator and liaison to the Spanish Crown. Trained as he was in the gentlemanly arts of combat, he quickly rose to attention aboard the Spanish vessel, gaining a reputation for piety among friends and defeated enemies, but a mathematician's calculated ruthlessness when it came to battle. After the death of the ship's captain in battle against an English merchant off the coast of Virginia, this reputation enabled him to take control, renaming his ship after an old Irish legend and sailing for vengeance, God, and Spain.
آمریکا هیچ غلطی نمی تواند بکند‎

Return to “Game Ideas”