Covert Action

Suggest ideas for new games.
Coin
Mise, Pangur Bán agus PILOT WHALES

Covert Action

Post by Coin » 01:01:31 Wednesday, 05 December, 2012

So, credit where credit's due, this is based on a game Sonny ran on Patton, which I quite enjoyed. I tweaked a few things, but mostly its the same. I'm thinking of developing the model, but first I thought I'd go for a simple game, since I've been looking for something to run in my spare time - so here we are:

4th July, 2013.

While America celebrates, Brussels is in panic. An EU project to build a new, suborbital drone aircraft has ended in embarassment, as the first transatlantic test flight out of Bermuda ended in a crash over the Atlantic Ocean, and public reprimands of the organisation.

What has not been publicised by any government however is that the failure of the drone (codenamed SODA by the EU) was not due to a malfunction, but sabotage - suspicions fall strongest on Russia, China or even Iran. Rumours are now circulating that the drone's on-board computer, said to be the most advanced prototype for such a purpose ever built, have been acquired by a hostile party.

Players take on the role of intelligence agents tasked with tracking down the computer. Indistinguishable from any other electronic device, it can be carried at will around the world. The device will take approximately 6 days to decrypt. Each turn lasts a day. On the seventh, Europe's technological leap will be in the hands of her foes...

Roles:
BND (Germany)
DGSE (France)
MI6 (UK)
CIA (USA)

FSB (Russia)
MSS (China)
MISIRI (Iran)

Actions (2 per turn):
Travel - move to any in-game city (red block on the map).
Hack - try to digitally break into the communications and systems of any other agency.
Break-in - raid any known safehouse for clues and occupants.
Decrypt - analyse any clues you find for further information.
Follow - follow any agent in the same city as you that you've found. Chance of discovery and loss.
Arrest - arrest any agent you're following.

Freeform actions are allowed, but not to any great extent. If in doubt, follow the rules above or ask.

Once we have enough folk + approval, off we go :mrgreen:

You can post here, but to sign-up, send me a pm expressing interest. Players are anonymous and get assigned roles, to stop communication before you encounter each other.
Last edited by Coin on 23:54:35 Wednesday, 05 December, 2012, edited 1 time in total.

Smyg
GETTIN' REAL TIRED OF YOUR MACHIAVELLIAN BULLSHIT, GESAR

Re: Covert Action

Post by Smyg » 06:15:42 Wednesday, 05 December, 2012

I'd be interested in this.
His Excellency Carl Johan Adlercreutz, Riksföreståndare of the Kingdom of Sweden-Finland.

Coin

Post by Coin » 18:02:24 Wednesday, 05 December, 2012

5 so far \o/ Keep em coming, and hopefully I can run the game this weekend.

zenburg
Revisionist
Revisionist

Post by zenburg » 22:16:52 Wednesday, 05 December, 2012

Me!!
First Contact- Gshar'nath Commonwealth

Tsaeb XIII
Not an Urso-Maoist

Post by Tsaeb XIII » 23:04:04 Wednesday, 05 December, 2012

Will quite possibly fail on a truly epic scale, but I'll give it a shot anyway :D
Game I: Republic of Indonesia
Game II: French Third Republic
Game III: Abibaal the Sailor

Balance of Power 1981: State of Israel
Battle for Anfan: Yizhou Clique
World War II BoP: Commonwealth of Australia

Coin

Post by Coin » 00:24:27 Thursday, 06 December, 2012

7/7 posts filled, +1 added (Pakistani ISI). We're good to go.
Wednesday, the 4th of July 2013 - Day 1

- Though rumours circulate rapidly online, the public at large remain oblivious to the true circumstances surrounding SODA. Footage of wreckage appears on YouTube and assorted other internet sites.

- No government has officially acknowledged or denied the possibility of espionage.
Turns out momentarily and due in less than 24 hours: Midnight GMT, 1900 EST.

Coin

Post by Coin » 00:00:03 Friday, 07 December, 2012

6/8 Turns
Thursday, the 5th of July 2013 - Day 2

- Several key intelligence officials in Europe are sacked.

- Independent online reports begin to speculate on the failure, yet the mainstream media continue to view this as a mere conspiracy theory. No word has been received on the location of the device by any news reporters however.
Turns out momentarily and due in less than 24 hours: Midnight GMT, 1900 EST.

Coin

Post by Coin » 00:51:25 Saturday, 08 December, 2012

8/8 Turns Recieved
Friday, the 6th of July 2013 - Day 3

- Police in Cuba have expressed their concern over the brutal killings of two foreign nationals, an American and a Frenchman, in Havana in the early hours of the morning. Reports remain sketchy, though some have raised the question of international narcotics crime. No reporters have been allowed into the neighbourhood, or the claimed shooting site, an abandoned embassy building. Their families have been informed.

- Russia Today begins to broadcast the claims, yet they are stopped within a matter of hours and all reference online erased. Similiarly, most media agencies internationally are put under pressure when they do begin to report the case.
Apologies for the delay. Turns out momentarily and due in less than 23 hours: Midnight GMT, 1900 EST.

Coin

Post by Coin » 14:24:09 Sunday, 09 December, 2012

5/5 Turns Recieved
Saturday, the 7th of July 2013 - Day 4

- In an eerie parallel to events in Cuba yesterday, Venezuelan police were horrified to discover one of the most brutal crime scenes they can remember. At an abandoned warehouse on the outskirts of Caracas's airport, a Chinese citizen was found bound to a chair and executed in a bloodsoaked room. He is believed to have been tortured. Outside, a further 3 bodies - 1 English, 1 Iranian, 1 German - were also found, their identities have not however been revealed. Police have refused to say if they suspect a motive, but international crime or espionage have been raised as potential explanations.

- Police in Tehran have refused to comment on supposed foreign snooping around their President, blaming all rumours on the Zionist media.
Game over. Players were as follows:

BND (Germany) - Zenburg Killed by Agent Tsaeb
DGSE (France) - OYID Killed by Agent Flamelord
MI6 (UK) - Huojin Killed by Agent Rising Phoenix
CIA (USA) - Flamelord Killed by Agent Tsaeb

FSB (Russia) - Tsaeb - SODA device acquired, but damaged
MSS (China) - Smyg Killed by Agent Huojin
MISIRI (Iran) - Rising Phoenix Killed by Agent Zenburg
ISI (Pakistan) - Gesar - Stayed in Tehran all game...

Congrats to Tsaeb, who ruled the RNG until he was the last man standing, at which point he had the device but it was irrevocably damaged. The SODA is therefore unusable. Congrats also to Huojin and Smyg, who both decided to go to Caracas early on, thereby ruining my plans to have you all run across the globe. :mrgreen:

Flamelord
Molotov's official Badass Union (Local 117) representative

Post by Flamelord » 14:30:53 Sunday, 09 December, 2012

So, my perspective. I was a first time player, but it was fun. As the CIA, I (ironically) started in Caracas, and promptly spent the rest of the game following Tsaeb until I caught up in Havana and got killed. In that regard, I knew who the culprit was turn 2, but then I died so I couldn't do anything about it.

And OYID, sorry brah. RNG hated us. Well, more specifically me, but still.

Smyg
GETTIN' REAL TIRED OF YOUR MACHIAVELLIAN BULLSHIT, GESAR

Post by Smyg » 14:34:01 Sunday, 09 December, 2012

Coinneach turns, at least the ones I got, was brilliant spy fiction.

I'm quite happy I got to quote Sun Tzu along the way.
His Excellency Carl Johan Adlercreutz, Riksföreståndare of the Kingdom of Sweden-Finland.

Tsaeb XIII
Not an Urso-Maoist

Post by Tsaeb XIII » 14:40:50 Sunday, 09 December, 2012

RNG seems to have loved me - my turn 1 clue left very little ambiguity as to the culprit, so I headed straight to Havana based on that intel. Got into a little scuffle with Flamelord and OYID, resulting in the use of OYID as a human shield (hence FL being listed as his killer). Intel from Havana pointed to Caracas, so I headed there expecting Smyg to have moved on, but instead lucking out with the end-game playing out as per everyone's final turn PMs. I also agree with Smyg that the turns were excellently written - I sort of wish the game had lasted the full length just so that I could read more of them :D
Game I: Republic of Indonesia
Game II: French Third Republic
Game III: Abibaal the Sailor

Balance of Power 1981: State of Israel
Battle for Anfan: Yizhou Clique
World War II BoP: Commonwealth of Australia

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 14:44:20 Sunday, 09 December, 2012

Indeed, very well written. I particularly enjoyed pretending to be an MI6 00 agent. The way it was written also helped detract from any disappointment at being killed, I think.

Also, I totally claim victory for the West, on account of the fact that all the bullets which riddled my body passed through the device first :3

Flamelord
Molotov's official Badass Union (Local 117) representative

Post by Flamelord » 14:53:11 Sunday, 09 December, 2012

Huojin wrote:Also, I totally claim victory for the West, on account of the fact that all the bullets which riddled my body passed through the device first :3
I know my objective, which was "Capture the device or destroy it" seems to have been accomplished. That and Tsaeb appears to have gotten a "Mission Objective: Failed, Agent Status: Awesome" in his turn PM.

Coin

Post by Coin » 14:57:00 Sunday, 09 December, 2012

Well I'm more than glad folk enjoyed the turns :mrgreen: Since I was worried it could get a bit... mechanical, i.e. boring, I tried to ensure the turns had some flavour.

What did people think of the clues and sides in general, and the plot? I think the device worked quite well, but the reliance on a network of safehouses, perhaps not so much, since someone could travel to a city and stumble upon the safehouse with not a great amount of trouble. Especially with so much bloodshed on Day 3 and 4 :P I was thinking of making it more freeform building wise, i.e. safehouses exist at the start and in different spots, but you need a clue/information to find one, but you can also travel outside of cities?

The sides I thought it might be better for more cooperation, two people from the CIA, two from the FSB, etc. I'd appreciate all thoughts and feedback though, since I reckon I'll run another CA game in future.

Return to “Game Ideas”