Covert Action

Suggest ideas for new games.
OYID
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Re: Covert Action

Postby OYID » 17:43:39 Sunday, 09 December, 2012

I agree that the turns were very well written, congrats. Maybe something that could be done is that players "unlock" cities as they go, so as to make it impossible to go to Caracas in turn one. A more realistic way to do it would be to make it possible to go anywhere the players want, so that they truly rely on their wits and clues (if you make a list of possible cities, it narrows the scope down a lot; I agree they are sensible cities for the players to visit, but maybe they should be made to figure it out). On the subject of longer games, I would also suggest more players, with more on one team as proportional to that agency's size (I would imagine the CIA would mobilize more agents than the Pakistanis, for example), and also with more teams. If you set it during the Cold War, Cuba's legendary Departamento América could get in on the action. Or how about the Mossad? The Bolivarian Intelligence Service could have been an interesting factor this time around. Since I'm currently playing through Snake Eater, I think the GRU could also be a separate faction. All in all, good show.

Btw, Flamelord, France will never forget this outrage.:P
1968: Cuba.

Flamelord
Molotov's official Badass Union (Local 117) representative

Postby Flamelord » 18:33:12 Sunday, 09 December, 2012

OYID wrote:Btw, Flamelord, France will never forget this outrage.:P

Next time, give me a signal that you're France before I shoot you in the back. :D

Gesar
Social Justice Stasi
Social Justice Stasi

Postby Gesar » 19:25:51 Sunday, 09 December, 2012

I was busy trying to get Tehran's nuclear secrets :O
Saenwyn: A Song of Ashes: Storyteller

Louisiana 1792: Fils de la Révolution: Monsieur le Commissaire de l'Intérieur Thomas Francois Jérôme Cossard, Mayor of Saint-Louis and editor of L'Ami de la République
Liberty in Dark Waters: Leopold Karl von Stenhielm, Baron af Rödesund, Knight and Commander of the Orders of His Majesty the King, convicted traitor
Balance of Power 1968: Mwalimu Julius Nyerere, President and Baba wa Taifa of the United Republic of Tanzania

Smyg wrote:The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of Gesar coping with being a total fucking a-grade revolutionary thinker

Spoiler:
#DraftGesar

zenburg
Revisionist
Revisionist

Postby zenburg » 19:50:06 Sunday, 09 December, 2012

Forgot to reply on the first day and ended up wasting one turn. Was going to investigate the deaths of the two agents but Cuba seemed more important. At least I killed someone.

Who damaged the device?
First Contact- Gshar'nath Commonwealth

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Huojin » 20:05:59 Sunday, 09 December, 2012

zenburg wrote:Who damaged the device?

It was probably all those bullets Tsaeb fired that went through me first...

Tsaeb XIII
Not an Urso-Maoist

Postby Tsaeb XIII » 22:35:50 Sunday, 09 December, 2012

zenburg wrote:Forgot to reply on the first day and ended up wasting one turn. Was going to investigate the deaths of the two agents but Cuba seemed more important. At least I killed someone.

Who damaged the device?

Most likely RP, given that I didn't manage to land a hit on Huo - I'd just pinned him down long enough for RP to arrive and fill Huo with lead. That being said, it could very well have been zenburg, since he put his fair share of shots into RP after RP had looted the device from Huo's corpse. After I shot zenburg, I then retrieved the device from RP's corpse.
Game I: Republic of Indonesia
Game II: French Third Republic
Game III: Abibaal the Sailor

Balance of Power 1981: State of Israel
Battle for Anfan: Yizhou Clique
World War II BoP: Commonwealth of Australia

Coin
Mise, Pangur Bán agus PILOT WHALES

Postby Coin » 23:00:30 Sunday, 09 December, 2012

It was, technically speaking, both RP and Zenburg, but Zenburg finished it off. RP got a bullet into it and damaged it, but it was Zenburg who shot it again and made it unusable to the Ruskies.

Rising Phoenix
Haegemony supporter. Ludd hater

Postby Rising Phoenix » 23:03:10 Sunday, 09 December, 2012

Honestly I am not sure of what the heck happened. Or why did my agent react like he did, but meh.

edit: Okay, thanks to Coinneach now I understand what happened. Good job Tsaeb, you avenged me.

RinKou
Jackbooted Swinelicker Fascist

Postby RinKou » 19:34:19 Monday, 10 December, 2012

How did safehouses work in this run, Coin?

If I remember right, the first CA had safehouses for every agency in every city, more or less, but you did need to have a lead/use an action to be able to find the one you were looking for.

And while the idea of any city would be cool, that seems like it'd be a little too easy for somebody to nab the MacGuffin and hightail it to the middle of the Yukon for the rest of the game.

(Also, make an archive to post all the turns in. I wanna see :V)
G&G: Absentee GM

If you say that prancing mailman of a GM is ever going to run the gangster game WELL THEN I SAY GOOD DAY SIR -oyid

I write things!
I post things!

zenburg
Revisionist
Revisionist

Postby zenburg » 22:38:19 Monday, 10 December, 2012

Our valiant deaths prevented the pesky Russians from using the device. So who stole it first and who was tailing me?
First Contact- Gshar'nath Commonwealth

Tsaeb XIII
Not an Urso-Maoist

Postby Tsaeb XIII » 23:04:53 Monday, 10 December, 2012

zenburg wrote:Our valiant deaths prevented the pesky Russians from using the device. So who stole it first and who was tailing me?

Not sure about who was tailing you, but it was Comrade Smyg who held the device at the start of the game.

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Huojin » 23:24:00 Monday, 10 December, 2012

Passage of the device.

Smyg > Huojin > RP > Zenburg > Tsaeb

From what I've gathered, Smyg had the device first, in Cuba. He went to Caracas to lie low. Instead of following OYID, Flamelord and Tsaeb into the Cuban bloodbath, I went to Caracas and snagged the device. And then failed to get away. Tsaeb tried to get the device from me but was having little luck shooting me. Then RP came out of nowhere and shot me in the back. Then Zenburg shot RP before Tsaeb finally managed to shoot RP and make off with the now-seriously-damaged device.

Tsaeb XIII
Not an Urso-Maoist

Postby Tsaeb XIII » 00:27:55 Tuesday, 11 December, 2012

Turn 1, I received intel informing me that it was most probably the Chinese that had the device and that their agent was in Havana. When I arrived there, OYID was already checking out the Chinese safehouse - as far as I'm aware, he started off with much the same intel I did. Turn 2, we both broke in, which resulted in a fight between us that would have resulted in my death, but for FL's intervention. Turn 1, FL was in Caracas, and received intel about a Russian safehouse in LA, which led him to follow me to Havana in Turn 2. He arrived at the safehouse just as OYID was getting the upper hand, and my agent took advantage of the surprise to use OYID as a human shield to stop FL firing at me, and then using OYID's gun to kill FL. This then appeared in Day 3's news, hence the mention of Russia in the global report, I assumed. Day 3 I then used evidence from the safehouse to track the Chinese agent to Caracas, and Huo's described the rest as well as I could.

tl;dr - I was the direct or indirect cause of the death of every one of the Western agents :P

OYID
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Postby OYID » 00:33:07 Tuesday, 11 December, 2012

Well, I would make it so that players leave a trail when moving around, so that looking for clues reveals a mysterious chartered flight to the Yukon or something. And I also want to see the turns, transparency now!
1968: Cuba.

Rising Phoenix
Haegemony supporter. Ludd hater

Postby Rising Phoenix » 10:34:27 Tuesday, 11 December, 2012

Be warned - this is a big quotepasta
Coinneach wrote:MISIRI (Iran)

BEGIN TRANSMISSION

Agent Rising Phoenix.

The loss of the SODA has been a great embarassment to the EU, and the Islamic Republic has a great opportunity now to advance our greatness. Though we have little idea as to the whereabouts of the device, an MI6 agent on the case has been located in Moscow, pending travel.

Your mission is to, if possible, acquire the device.

END TRANSMISSION

Rising Phoenix wrote:"I think I do not have many choices as of now. I will thus:"

• Travel: Moscow I must reach that M16 agent for clues.

Coinneach wrote:You arrive in Moscow, and find what appears to be the MI6 safehouse. However it appears to be recently vacated.

(As a hint, you may search for clues as to where he went and travel to it in one turn.)

Rising Phoenix wrote:"As expected." I think, unyielding against the cold rain. I decide to:
  • Search: M16 Safehouse for the whereabouts of the fledging agent.
  • Travel to the destination discovered.

Coinneach wrote:You successfully ransack the Moscow safehouse, finding evidence of the MI6 agent's flight to Caracas, Venezuala. Booking the very next flight, you arrive in the city, and initially fail to find any safehouse. However you spot a European, on the same connecting flight from London as you, acting suspiciously, and follow him to what appears to be some kind of safehouse. It also appears occupied, though the stranger simply watches it, and does not appear to have noticed you.

Rising Phoenix wrote:"And just when I though things would get a tad easier, they get more complicated." I think to myself as I look at the European.

For now, I shall...
  • Observe What this 'safehouse' is about.
    or, if that fails to provide any results of importance,
  • Follow This European.

Coinneach wrote:You continue to observe the safehouse, and settle in to watch it. However the European you followed here seems to break off, and goes up an alleyway - constantly looking over his shoulder.

Musing over whether to follow him or not, a lone gunshot from the safehouse suddenly breaks the eerie calm. Drawing your own weapon, you see a figure dash out of the safehouse in your general direction. You take aim, ready to respond if he notices you, but suddenly a figure shouts out STOJ! in a thick Russian accent, firing a few bullets from the window of the safehouse at the stranger on the street, now dashing for cover. He too returns fire, and seems not to notice you. Biding your time, you watch as they exchange fire, neither landing a hit, but you then wait for the opportune moment and open fire yourself, firing a magazine into the back of the agent on the street. He slumps to the ground in a pool of blood, and you lower your weapon. From the safehouse, a shout ranges across the street:

"FSB?"

"Nei, MISIRI, Iran" You reply. "Friend."

Cautiously, the man in the safehouse moves down the stair as you move to the body, rummaging through his coat for the device. You manage to discern that he is Agent Huojin, MI6, and just as the Russian FSB man arrives at ground level, you find the bloodsoaked SODA device. Raising it to the light, you have just a millisecond's chance to see the European figure you followed here appearing from the other side of the street, gun drawn, and before you can do anything you feel the thud of several bullets in your arm and chest...

MISSION FAILED
AGENT STATUS: KIA

TL;DR

I was trailing Houjin since the beggining, then lost track of him. Then I get into the same flight as Zenburg, follow him to Tsaeb's safehouse, and then lose track of him when everything goes to heck. I kill Houjin, then Zenburg kills me. Then Tsaeb avenges me.

Return to “Game Ideas”