Today is the big day!

More or less what it says on the tin.
CWestfall
MEANWHILE, IN NORWAY...

Today is the big day!

Post by CWestfall » 18:53:58 Monday, 19 November, 2012

Administration nominations are set to begin at midnight UTC, so in about 5 hours and 15 minutes. Just a reminder so that somebody else besides me will remember to put the thread up (And I'm temporary going to set the up the board so that any member can make a topic a global announcement, so don't feel like you need to be an admin to do it), since I probably won't be around at just that moment.

As a reminder, the nomination process will continue for 10 days, through to the end of November 30th. At midnight December 1st, the poll will go up with all successful nominees, and over the next 72 hours we will select our 5 admins for the next four months.

Some stuff about nomination. We've been here before, but a refresher is likely in order.

Any forum member can nominate anybody (Except for themself) to be an admin. To be a successful nomination, it has to be seconded by somebody else (Also not the nominee) and then the nominee has to accept. A good discussion should be going on in the background about the qualifications of each candidate; the position of an administrator doesn't give a person any special political powers, but we need to make sure they are responsible enough to not abuse it.
For sake of exampleShow
Person A wrote:I would like to nominate Person C to be an administrator.
Person B wrote:I second Person C's nomination.
Person C wrote:I accept this nomination.
At the current moment we don't actually have a process whereby somebody can be made ineligible for nomination through a formal objection by a fourth party. If you think we should have one, nothing is preventing you from putting up a discussion thread or poll to implement one.
EDIT: Important note! Due to some issues I'm having with the forum's Admin Control Panel, you can only start global announcements in either this forum, or Administration.
<KimIlSmyg> Congratulations Labine
<KimIlSmyg> You're in my signature.

Smyg
GETTIN' REAL TIRED OF YOUR MACHIAVELLIAN BULLSHIT, GESAR

Re: Today is the big day!

Post by Smyg » 18:57:07 Monday, 19 November, 2012

Because of a fairly long discussion with Labine, I won't categorically oppose anyone nominating me this time.

I just like direct democracy, that's all.
Comrade Astrojildo Pereira Duarte Silva
Secretary-General of the Partido Comunista do Brasil
(PCB)

navyseacadet
Anarcho-Communist
Anarcho-Communist

Post by navyseacadet » 21:00:25 Monday, 19 November, 2012

What would an admin do, per se? Just curious on what the job entails.

*edit* nvm, just read tips and tricks.

CWestfall
MEANWHILE, IN NORWAY...

Post by CWestfall » 21:46:31 Monday, 19 November, 2012

To answer the question, for those who don't feel like searching it out:

Being an admin on this forum is pretty simple. Everybody on this forum decides forum policy via direct democracy, thus an admin's job is simply to make the wishes of the majority happen. While they can, of course, take part in the democratic process, they are on equal footing with all other members. Therefore, an ideal candidate must be grounded, responsible, and (Again, ideally) around fairly frequently, as well as able to learn how to use the Administration Control Panel on the fly. Self-reflection and good common sense are a plus.

Part of an admin's job is now also to assign global moderators. In retrospect, we never actually decided how many global moderators we were going to have, so that will now also be up to the admins to decide.
<KimIlSmyg> Congratulations Labine
<KimIlSmyg> You're in my signature.

Aegis
Stalinist
Stalinist

Post by Aegis » 22:51:29 Monday, 19 November, 2012

As a general ballpark figure there tends to be 2 Global mods but this isn't set in stone at all.
Man

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 23:08:52 Monday, 19 November, 2012

The new admins can probably decide amongst themselves, depending on how active they are, whether they think they need extra help to tidy things up. To be honest, Global Moderators aren't really necessary if the Administrators keep things tidy themselves.

Return to “Announcements and Rules”