85%
No
15%

Total votes: 13

Langben
What time is it?

Re: New member: Clancy

Postby Langben » 08:02:49 Monday, 03 December, 2012

CWestfall wrote:Also, just a thought. How should we end this vote? Call it a day if it hits 20? Leave it run for 3 days and go with the simple majority? It's no longer practical to try to go for a majority of all forum members one way or the other, since at least 20 members on this forum haven't been active for more than a week.

Most votes never made it to 15 total, save the early controversial ones. I'd reckon if this breaks 10 approvals without strong resistance, or a majority after 3 days, we should put it through.

I'd also say this is probably the last time a community vote will be relevant. A fair portion of our userbase never knew Clancy, meaning they only have word of mouth to go on. Anybody joining from here-on will also be unknown to most voters, making the whole affair rather useless.

OYID
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Postby OYID » 15:35:58 Monday, 03 December, 2012

Maybe there should be another thread with another poll, but I would like to voice my disapproval of no longer voting to accept new members. I voted "no" because, indeed, I don't know Clancy. Even though he's getting approved, I still think its important to hold on to this practice. I think it's a great thing that we vote on who enters, and if that means the forum will grow slowly, so be it (I'm actually opposed to the forum growing at all, but that's another issue).
1968: Cuba.

CWestfall
MEANWHILE, IN NORWAY...

Postby CWestfall » 16:32:32 Monday, 03 December, 2012

We'll probably have to have a separate discussion about that sooner rather than later.
<KimIlSmyg> Congratulations Labine
<KimIlSmyg> You're in my signature.

Langben
What time is it?

Postby Langben » 07:53:56 Tuesday, 04 December, 2012

Getting this back on topic, to summarize:

Smyg was against based on Gesar's early tentativeness, which Gesar has recanted here after I posted my follow up conversation.

OYID was against based on having no previous experience with him, despite several positive testimonials in his favor.

Is it fair to say that there is not a strong objection to Clancy's approval? It looks like the poll won't break 10 in favor, so I will likely validate him later on the 4th if there is no change.

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Huojin » 16:01:02 Tuesday, 04 December, 2012

I'd agree that there's no real objection. Anyone who held valid concerns has recanted them upon seeing the email logs and knowing that all is well.

OYID
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Postby OYID » 21:47:28 Tuesday, 04 December, 2012

Huojin wrote:I'd agree that there's no real objection. Anyone who held valid concerns has recanted them upon seeing the email logs and knowing that all is well.

:|

Snacks
rhetorical masturbation

Postby Snacks » 22:39:15 Tuesday, 04 December, 2012

OYID wrote:
Huojin wrote:I'd agree that there's no real objection. Anyone who held valid concerns has recanted them upon seeing the email logs and knowing that all is well.

:|

Do you have an objection besides "I'm voting against this person being here because I don't know them and I don't trust the judgement of the multiple people who do"?

OYID
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Postby OYID » 02:39:44 Wednesday, 05 December, 2012

Why isn't that a legitimate objection?

Tsaeb XIII
Not an Urso-Maoist

Postby Tsaeb XIII » 02:56:29 Wednesday, 05 December, 2012

OYID wrote:Why isn't that a legitimate objection?

Well, for a start, it means that you're pretty much against allowing anyone to join the forum that you don't invite yourself, given the fact that there's not a whole lot else that can be presented as evidence in favour of allowing him in.
Game I: Republic of Indonesia
Game II: French Third Republic
Game III: Abibaal the Sailor

Balance of Power 1981: State of Israel
Battle for Anfan: Yizhou Clique
World War II BoP: Commonwealth of Australia

OYID
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Postby OYID » 03:00:52 Wednesday, 05 December, 2012

Tsaeb XIII wrote:

Well, for a start, it means that you're pretty much against allowing anyone to join the forum that you don't invite yourself, given the fact that there's not a whole lot else that can be presented as evidence in favour of allowing him in.

I would never invite anyone into the forum. At this point, though, I guess he's getting in regardless.

Langben
What time is it?

Postby Langben » 03:32:09 Wednesday, 05 December, 2012

OYID wrote:
Tsaeb XIII wrote:

I would never invite anyone into the forum. At this point, though, I guess he's getting in regardless.

I'm not trying to put you on the defensive here, but when I ask for "legitimate objection", I'm looking for something that would supersede the vote results. If the guy has harassed you in the past or emailed threats to kick your dog, that would be something for everyone to consider.

You're free to vote how you like, but I can't give your vote extra weight compared to any other votes. Following me?

scorpion
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Postby scorpion » 03:32:28 Wednesday, 05 December, 2012

I don't see any reason not to let Clancy in based upon the chat logs and the opinions of those who have known him longer then I have.
Metal Gear BoP-GM
1968 BoP-Yugoslavia

Langben
What time is it?

Postby Langben » 03:39:35 Wednesday, 05 December, 2012

Clancy's account has been activated. I'm locking this poll and ask that further discussion be moved to the Bringing in New Members topic.

Return to “Announcements and Rules”