Bringing in new members

More or less what it says on the tin.
OYID
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Re: Bringing in new members

Postby OYID » 03:46:37 Wednesday, 05 December, 2012

You're assuming only upstanding, honest, and well-meaning history buffs with a passion for roleplay will apply.
1968: Cuba.

scorpion
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Postby scorpion » 03:50:33 Wednesday, 05 December, 2012

OYID wrote:You're assuming only upstanding, honest, and well-meaning history buffs with a passion for roleplay will apply.

At the same time it can be said that, shady, dishonest ,ill-tempered trolls won't join. Truth is we'll never know if we don't even give people a chance to prove themselves in the communities eyes.
Metal Gear BoP-GM
1968 BoP-Yugoslavia

OYID
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Postby OYID » 03:55:15 Wednesday, 05 December, 2012

scorpion wrote:
OYID wrote:You're assuming only upstanding, honest, and well-meaning history buffs with a passion for roleplay will apply.

At the same time it can be said that, shady, dishonest ,ill-tempered trolls won't join. Truth is we'll never know if we don't even give people a chance to prove themselves in the communities eyes.

But why go thorugh that at all? Why not implement a system where risk is minimized as to be insignificant? The "Portfolio" proposal helps do that, if I do say so myself, but I'm open to hearing other ideas.

Langben
What time is it?

Postby Langben » 03:56:49 Wednesday, 05 December, 2012

There isn't an application system, it's based on community referrals. This hypothetical terrible person would have to referred by somebody already here on Molotov, at which point it's a simple matter to say "Hey Goofy, your friend didn't participate and caused a bunch of trouble. Why don't you wait until you really think a guy belongs here before inviting anybody else."

If you don't trust the people who are already here to make sound decisions for the forum, then I can understand why you'd be wary of the open voting, but I don't think I could offer you a good solution to that concern.

OYID
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Postby OYID » 04:01:01 Wednesday, 05 December, 2012

how about no voting

Langben
What time is it?

Postby Langben » 04:12:36 Wednesday, 05 December, 2012

OYID wrote:how about no voting

That isn't a real alternative. If you're asking me or somebody else to just take direct control of everything, It wouldn't actually address your concern of shady folks joining the forum, and I'm certain plenty of our current members would leave feeling betrayed.

OYID
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Postby OYID » 04:53:34 Wednesday, 05 December, 2012

Langben wrote:

That isn't a real alternative. If you're asking me or somebody else to just take direct control of everything, It wouldn't actually address your concern of shady folks joining the forum, and I'm certain plenty of our current members would leave feeling betrayed.

IMHO, I think a smaller, less democratic leadership would really choke the flow of new users, which is a good thing, since new users are a risk. The less users get in, the less risk there is of sabotage and the more thoroughly we can inspect each candidate before entry.

Langben
What time is it?

Postby Langben » 05:18:08 Wednesday, 05 December, 2012

OYID wrote:IMHO, I think a smaller, less democratic leadership would really choke the flow of new users, which is a good thing, since new users are a risk. The less users get in, the less risk there is of sabotage and the more thoroughly we can inspect each candidate before entry.

I get that you personally equate new users with risk, but that isn't necessarily true.

Langben wrote:There isn't an application system, it's based on community referrals. This hypothetical terrible person would have to referred by somebody already here on Molotov.

There is no floodgate waiting to be opened, you aren't going to see a massive influx overnight. So again, I don't see a real threat here.

Smyg
GETTIN' REAL TIRED OF YOUR MACHIAVELLIAN BULLSHIT, GESAR

Postby Smyg » 06:19:33 Wednesday, 05 December, 2012

Langben wrote:

How about the principles of democracy, openness and accountability aren't infringed upon, eh?

CWestfall
MEANWHILE, IN NORWAY...

Postby CWestfall » 06:30:46 Wednesday, 05 December, 2012

You severely overestimate the appeal of this forum OYID. Seriously. This is gon' be a real long post. :?

The current number of prospective joinees is sitting at 0. Any future joinees will have been referred by an existing member, who will have put their reputation on the line to vouch for their good behaviour and general demeanour. People aren't going to find this forum on Google. If they did find this forum on Google, and as a reminder, they aren't, but if they did, they aren't immediately going to say "You know what I should do? Having found this forum which I cannot view any content on whatsoever, I should apply to join on the assumption that it is a highly active and robust community which I can troll. I just have to wait several days to get approved, assuming I don't get shot down immediately, and then begin trolling for cheap laughs."

Why do I know this? Because a good many years ago I was the guy who would jump on random forums on the internet and try to give the mods and admins a run for their money. It's not something you get up in the morning and want to dedicate a week to. If it is going to happen, it's because somebody had an hour to kill and they get their jollies from the pain of others, not because they have a master plan to sabotage text-based games on an obscure internet forum.

Given the near-zero risk, I am fully in favour of new members. Without new members, none of us would be here. We wouldn't have been on Patton. Some of the older Pattonites wouldn't have been on Fo'Dolo before that. At no point along the entire time line of Balance of Power and associated games has a large number of new people joining a forum caused lasting negative consequences. They are either a flash in the pan and leave within a few weeks or they become some of our most valued members. And for that reason, as well as ones I stated before, I find the idea of becoming less democratic for purposes of repressing potential joinees to be really rather silly and ultimately more destructive.

That's my take on this whole issue anyway.

EDIT- @Smyg, has somebody done something undemocratic that I completely missed...? Because that is one of those "Talk about it before it becomes real serious" type of things.
<KimIlSmyg> Congratulations Labine
<KimIlSmyg> You're in my signature.

Aegis
Stalinist
Stalinist

Postby Aegis » 19:57:49 Wednesday, 05 December, 2012

For the record, I am truly baffled that one of our relatively new members (in terms of Patton) is actually advocating that we shouldn't allow new members.

Words cannot explain...
Man

Orago
I Am that Is

Postby Orago » 20:01:34 Wednesday, 05 December, 2012

We should probably invite new members, yeah. The more the merrier.

How do we get quality new members though? Seems difficult.

scorpion
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Postby scorpion » 20:06:58 Wednesday, 05 December, 2012

Orago wrote:We should probably invite new members, yeah. The more the merrier.

How do we get quality new members though? Seems difficult.

There is no way to assure "Quality". You give people a chance, show them the ropes and see what they become. As a community we are responsible for growing that "quality" aspect in new players.
Metal Gear BoP-GM
1968 BoP-Yugoslavia

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Huojin » 20:15:07 Wednesday, 05 December, 2012

Plenty of us had no real idea what we were doing when we started playing BOP and other related games. I know I sure as hell didn't. But here we are. People change over time. Like scorp says, we have to help people and give them a chance.

Orago
I Am that Is

Postby Orago » 21:05:46 Wednesday, 05 December, 2012

I don't care about how good they are at games, forgive me if that is what you thought I meant. I'm terrible at games.

I mean, the people we bring in shouldn't be trolls. I am for bringing new people in, but all I'm saying is we shouldn't invite just anyone, or else the community will go downhill like Patton.

Return to “Announcements and Rules”