Should Avatars contain Main Game leaders (Game III onward)

More or less what it says on the tin.

Should Avatars contain Main Game leaders (Game III onward)

Poll ended at 12:11:22 Sunday, 23 December, 2012

Yes
5
29%
No
12
71%
 
Total votes: 17

Aegis
Stalinist
Stalinist
Posts: 250
Joined: 22:35:45 Friday, 03 August, 2012

Should Avatars contain Main Game leaders (Game III onward)

Postby Aegis » 12:11:22 Sunday, 16 December, 2012

A simple poll about a simple rule.

Poll will run for 7 Days

You can change your vote.
Man

User avatar
Tsaeb XIII
Not an Urso-Maoist
Posts: 151
Joined: 23:29:39 Wednesday, 01 August, 2012

Re: Should Avatars contain Main Game leaders (Game III onwar

Postby Tsaeb XIII » 12:17:24 Sunday, 16 December, 2012

Actually having to finally have an avatar sort of bugs me, but I'm begrudgingly voting "yes" anyway because I support the principle behind the rule.
Game I: Republic of Indonesia
Game II: French Third Republic
Game III: Abibaal the Sailor

Balance of Power 1981: State of Israel
Battle for Anfan: Yizhou Clique
World War II BoP: Commonwealth of Australia

User avatar
Smyg
GETTIN' REAL TIRED OF YOUR MACHIAVELLIAN BULLSHIT, GESAR
Posts: 2391
Joined: 23:01:40 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

Re: Should Avatars contain Main Game leaders (Game III onwar

Postby Smyg » 12:18:44 Sunday, 16 December, 2012

Fascism.

Aegis
Stalinist
Stalinist
Posts: 250
Joined: 22:35:45 Friday, 03 August, 2012

Re: Should Avatars contain Main Game leaders (Game III onwar

Postby Aegis » 12:19:25 Sunday, 16 December, 2012

Smyg wrote:Fascism.


Definitely the best form of government.
Man

User avatar
Langben
What time is it?
Posts: 910
Joined: 03:36:30 Saturday, 04 August, 2012
Location: Space Truckin'

Re: Should Avatars contain Main Game leaders (Game III onwar

Postby Langben » 12:31:04 Sunday, 16 December, 2012

Aegis wrote:
Smyg wrote:Fascism.


Definitely the best form of government.


Image

User avatar
Smyg
GETTIN' REAL TIRED OF YOUR MACHIAVELLIAN BULLSHIT, GESAR
Posts: 2391
Joined: 23:01:40 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

Re: Should Avatars contain Main Game leaders (Game III onwar

Postby Smyg » 12:31:15 Sunday, 16 December, 2012

Aegis wrote:
Smyg wrote:Fascism.


Definitely the best form of government.


Probably the most efficient, yes.

User avatar
Snacks
rhetorical masturbation
Posts: 394
Joined: 21:22:18 Wednesday, 22 August, 2012

Re: Should Avatars contain Main Game leaders (Game III onwar

Postby Snacks » 15:56:33 Sunday, 16 December, 2012

Voted no, as per my reasons in the Game II thread.

Edit: so for the record I'm voting no, and this is strictly based on Aegis reasoning for demanding we do this in Game II, because I was never under the impression this forum was about impressing anyone so I don't see why making it look "professional" is necessary, because I don't think that having to put a picture of my leader next to my name would make me feel more involved with the game at all, and because really the only reason I see this happening is because it's how we used to do it and some people think we should still do it.

User avatar
Gesar
Social Justice Stasi
Social Justice Stasi
Posts: 1112
Joined: 00:18:50 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

Re: Should Avatars contain Main Game leaders (Game III onwar

Postby Gesar » 16:17:41 Sunday, 16 December, 2012

I'm going to vote no until somebody tells me what this accomplishes, beyond being "professional". We pretend to be historical leaders trying to dominate the world, there ain't nothing professional about that.
Saenwyn: A Song of Ashes: Storyteller

Louisiana 1792: Fils de la Révolution: Monsieur le Commissaire de l'Intérieur Thomas Francois Jérôme Cossard, Mayor of Saint-Louis and editor of L'Ami de la République
Liberty in Dark Waters: Leopold Karl von Stenhielm, Baron af Rödesund, Knight and Commander of the Orders of His Majesty the King, convicted traitor
Balance of Power 1968: Mwalimu Julius Nyerere, President and Baba wa Taifa of the United Republic of Tanzania

Smyg wrote:The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of Gesar coping with being a total fucking a-grade revolutionary thinker


Spoiler:
#DraftGesar

Aegis
Stalinist
Stalinist
Posts: 250
Joined: 22:35:45 Friday, 03 August, 2012

Re: Should Avatars contain Main Game leaders (Game III onwar

Postby Aegis » 16:33:27 Sunday, 16 December, 2012

Gesar wrote:I'm going to vote no until somebody tells me what this accomplishes, beyond being "professional". We pretend to be historical leaders trying to dominate the world, there ain't nothing professional about that.


I mis-read Gesars post and so have taken out the wrongful information I posted

Some people enjoy being a little more involved in games. To be fair at no point did I say this was a binding poll. I just wanted to gauge peoples views on the issue. Also I'm clearly a fascist and just like making derogatory rules to oppress the proletariat.
Man

User avatar
Gesar
Social Justice Stasi
Social Justice Stasi
Posts: 1112
Joined: 00:18:50 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

Re: Should Avatars contain Main Game leaders (Game III onwar

Postby Gesar » 16:37:26 Sunday, 16 December, 2012

You know how to get involved? Roleplay your nation. Not just do your turn. An avatar won't change that, people actually caring enough to get involved will.

The sarcasm in your post wasn't appreciated either. Nobody called you a fascist, except for Smyg, and he thinks everybody is a fascist. We just want answers.
Saenwyn: A Song of Ashes: Storyteller

Louisiana 1792: Fils de la Révolution: Monsieur le Commissaire de l'Intérieur Thomas Francois Jérôme Cossard, Mayor of Saint-Louis and editor of L'Ami de la République
Liberty in Dark Waters: Leopold Karl von Stenhielm, Baron af Rödesund, Knight and Commander of the Orders of His Majesty the King, convicted traitor
Balance of Power 1968: Mwalimu Julius Nyerere, President and Baba wa Taifa of the United Republic of Tanzania

Smyg wrote:The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of Gesar coping with being a total fucking a-grade revolutionary thinker


Spoiler:
#DraftGesar

Aegis
Stalinist
Stalinist
Posts: 250
Joined: 22:35:45 Friday, 03 August, 2012

Re: Should Avatars contain Main Game leaders (Game III onwar

Postby Aegis » 17:10:53 Sunday, 16 December, 2012

Gesar wrote:You know how to get involved? Roleplay your nation. Not just do your turn. An avatar won't change that, people actually caring enough to get involved will.

The sarcasm in your post wasn't appreciated either. Nobody called you a fascist, except for Smyg, and he thinks everybody is a fascist. We just want answers.


So when people don't, you don't think some effort should be made to do something about it? Maybe this is misguided, Ill admit that, but at least I'm trying something.
Man

User avatar
Gesar
Social Justice Stasi
Social Justice Stasi
Posts: 1112
Joined: 00:18:50 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

Re: Should Avatars contain Main Game leaders (Game III onwar

Postby Gesar » 17:23:48 Sunday, 16 December, 2012

You're trying something that won't have any effect. There's little to no correlation between having an avatar and boosting activity, I can promise you.
Saenwyn: A Song of Ashes: Storyteller

Louisiana 1792: Fils de la Révolution: Monsieur le Commissaire de l'Intérieur Thomas Francois Jérôme Cossard, Mayor of Saint-Louis and editor of L'Ami de la République
Liberty in Dark Waters: Leopold Karl von Stenhielm, Baron af Rödesund, Knight and Commander of the Orders of His Majesty the King, convicted traitor
Balance of Power 1968: Mwalimu Julius Nyerere, President and Baba wa Taifa of the United Republic of Tanzania

Smyg wrote:The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of Gesar coping with being a total fucking a-grade revolutionary thinker


Spoiler:
#DraftGesar

User avatar
Smyg
GETTIN' REAL TIRED OF YOUR MACHIAVELLIAN BULLSHIT, GESAR
Posts: 2391
Joined: 23:01:40 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

Re: Should Avatars contain Main Game leaders (Game III onwar

Postby Smyg » 17:55:56 Sunday, 16 December, 2012

Gesar wrote:Nobody called you a fascist, except for Smyg, and he thinks everybody is a fascist.


That's because everyone is a Fascist. Myself included.

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3064
Joined: 07:30:29 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

Re: Should Avatars contain Main Game leaders (Game III onwar

Postby Huojin » 18:33:47 Sunday, 16 December, 2012

My thoughts on this matter: I quite like having avatars as being leaders of your country. But forcing people to do it is a silly idea. This is a daft thing to be arguing about, to be honest. It doesn't make that much of a difference whether people have leader avatars or not.

So yeah. I guess it's nice to have them, but people shouldn't be forced to. And games shouldn't be held up because of it.

User avatar
RinKou
Jackbooted Swinelicker Fascist
Posts: 818
Joined: 06:18:32 Wednesday, 08 August, 2012
Location: OC, CA
Contact:

Re: Should Avatars contain Main Game leaders (Game III onwar

Postby RinKou » 19:09:20 Sunday, 16 December, 2012

I agree with Huo. While I like the idea, sometimes people are playing the main game as a side. It'd hardly be justified to force a major in a side game to have Kim Il-Sung as his avatar, especially if he's only playing the main game for funsies.

What we could do is have each GM state beforehand whether or not they would prefer that players use their nation's leader as an avatar. It's not binding, but if the players had nothing better to do, they could always use the game avatar for the duration of the game.
G&G: Absentee GM

If you say that prancing mailman of a GM is ever going to run the gangster game WELL THEN I SAY GOOD DAY SIR -oyid

I write things!
I post things!


Return to “Announcements and Rules”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron