Should Avatars contain Main Game leaders (Game III onward)

More or less what it says on the tin.

Should Avatars contain Main Game leaders (Game III onward)

Poll ended at 12:11:22 Sunday, 23 December, 2012

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes: 17

scorpion
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Re: Should Avatars contain Main Game leaders (Game III onwar

Post by scorpion » 19:39:44 Sunday, 16 December, 2012

I voted no as well for reasons already stated by others. I don't feel it really adds anything to a game.

The only thing i find that should probably be done with anyone's personal avatar or sig space is to state who they are playing as in each game so one can tell who they're talking to easily when conducting diplomacy.
Metal Gear BoP-GM
1936 BoP-Nazi Germany

OYID
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post by OYID » 20:34:16 Sunday, 16 December, 2012

Voted no. Forcing people to do things is never a good idea, and I agree that having old portraits as avatars does not lead to better gaming. Besides, why no love for techno cat?
1968 Aliens!: US of A.

OYID
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Re: Bringing in new members

Post by OYID » 20:36:56 Sunday, 16 December, 2012

I'm even less keen on having new members if its going to lead to nonsense rulings like Aegis' for the sake of "professionalism" and "better image."

Woody
Virescit vulnere virtus

Post by Woody » 20:38:43 Sunday, 16 December, 2012

I don't think that it should be a rule that people must have a specific avatar for a game. I think it is our right to choose what our avatar is within due reason.

However as a comprimise i would like to make the suggestion that we create "Sigbars" instead. Sigbars can put the nation/leader and then say what BOP game.

Sigbars such as : http://www.forumsextreme.com/Userbars.html
http://dmmclan.net/
Senātus Populusque Rōmānus

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 20:55:36 Sunday, 16 December, 2012

Woody wrote:I don't think that it should be a rule that people must have a specific avatar for a game. I think it is our right to choose what our avatar is within due reason.

However as a comprimise i would like to make the suggestion that we create "Sigbars" instead. Sigbars can put the nation/leader and then say what BOP game.

Sigbars such as : http://www.forumsextreme.com/Userbars.html
Alternatively people can just say who they're playing as in their nicks, like mine, since it's a lot simpler and easier than having a sigbar made.

Rising Phoenix
Haegemony supporter. Ludd hater

Post by Rising Phoenix » 06:09:09 Monday, 17 December, 2012

*Quoting this post from Aegis: viewtopic.php?p=4252#p4252

I will try to put up my perspective in a sound manner. Here I go:
Aegis wrote:I like to GM games, I also try to accommodate a level immersion when hosting for you guys so you get the same experience I do. You can argue that you personally don't feel it assists in this and thats fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But you know what, what about the people who do come here an see the little things and they make a difference? I'm one of those people. Instead there are avatars of techno cats and other assorted randomness.
And I respect you and all people who put their free time (or a portion thereof) into running these games for us to enjoy.

However, at the end of the day I believe a role-play is just that: A role-play. While having the avatar of the country you are currently role-playing is a great thing, I do not see how forcing it will lead to a better experience. An example: Having the Avatar of the Sultan will not make me suddenly better at running his country. As a rule of thumb, whenever I am going to do something I rather research relevant information about the country, to see how I can benefit from it. But that is something that comes out from my own initiative, not because of a forum rule.
Aegis wrote:Now the other reason, to look professional. I know some people view this as a place to mess around, but why does that mean we don't have to have it look good and be a smart place to be. Maybe I'm letting the manager in me distort my views, but after seeing this and speaking to a few people its clear there is a divide and not all people feel this way. Its a little bid of a pride thing and once again, its just my opinion.
And I agree with some of things you are saying, actually. I view this as a place to have fun and play forum games. It does not have to be stupid or a mess.

On the other hand, that does not mean we have to try to force something to be fun. It rarely works. This reminds me of how when my parents would come at a random moment while I was concentrating on doing something else. Their attempts to "have fun togheter" or "smile more" often made me angry. Then they would be angry at me for getting angry at them, and everything would go to heck and... Well, I am getting derailed here. Point being: You cannot force fun, and trying to will likely end badly.

Then you have a phrase here: "Now the other reason, to look professional." Wait, what? Excuse me, but while I repeat that I am thankful for the time you, Aegis, and others, put up to run these games; I can safely say that running forum games is not a "profession" of any sort. At least I never heard of people with a degree in forum gaming, nor a "game master degree".
So to sum up, maybe I was a little hasty and jumped the gun here. Maybe it should have been a vote from the get go, but why is it that if other people have a majority vote on a rule because they enjoy the way something is, other people decide this is the wrong choice? Isn't that how democracy works?
A good way to get out of this situation, although I do not think it will go the way you want it to go. An that is considering I am abstaining.

Langben
What time is it?

Post by Langben » 16:47:38 Monday, 17 December, 2012

OYID wrote:Besides, why no love for techno cat?
Because it reminds me of this: **Seizure Warning**

CWestfall
MEANWHILE, IN NORWAY...

Post by CWestfall » 18:14:24 Monday, 17 December, 2012

I'll freely admit that I had a pretty major "What the fuck" moment when I come back after not checking in for two days and saw all of this.

That said I voted no. Most world politicians are so obscure there's not much point to it anyway; would anybody here actually recognize the leader of 1900 Italy's civilian government? It'd be better to ask people to make sure their signatures are up-to-date.
<KimIlSmyg> Congratulations Labine
<KimIlSmyg> You're in my signature.

Rising Phoenix
Haegemony supporter. Ludd hater

Post by Rising Phoenix » 03:30:38 Tuesday, 18 December, 2012

Langben wrote:
OYID wrote:Besides, why no love for techno cat?
Because it reminds me of this: **Seizure Warning**
Langben, sometime in the future please tell me how the heck you do to find all this weird stuff.

CWestfall
MEANWHILE, IN NORWAY...

Post by CWestfall » 04:51:26 Tuesday, 18 December, 2012

Langben is the weird part of the internet.
<KimIlSmyg> Congratulations Labine
<KimIlSmyg> You're in my signature.

Langben
What time is it?

Post by Langben » 07:00:30 Tuesday, 18 December, 2012

CWestfall wrote:Langben is the weird part of the internet.

TRC
"Molotov's own Jeremy Renner"

Post by TRC » 13:50:49 Wednesday, 19 December, 2012

I certainly think that it should be voted for before the games, a permanent ban seems awfully overkill

Woody
Virescit vulnere virtus

Post by Woody » 01:33:05 Thursday, 20 December, 2012

Why does this thread still exist..
http://dmmclan.net/
Senātus Populusque Rōmānus

Coin
Mise, Pangur Bán agus PILOT WHALES

Post by Coin » 16:29:02 Thursday, 20 December, 2012

I'm thinking of running a poll to get rid of OYID's avatar. MEIN EYES :shock:

More on-topic, this is something to debate when Game III starts, and when more is known about how many games will be on, therefore I voted no.
Brazilsim: Horacio de Matos
MG BoP: Israel

OYID
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post by OYID » 20:37:23 Thursday, 20 December, 2012

Yeah, I miss Koala Face as well.

Return to “Announcements and Rules”