Allow guests to view the forum (read the post before voting)

More or less what it says on the tin.

Allow guests to view the forums on the basis discussed below?

Poll ended at 18:51:03 Sunday, 24 February, 2013

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes: 14

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Allow guests to view the forum (read the post before voting)

Post by Huojin » 18:51:03 Sunday, 17 February, 2013

Given our inability to have a sustained discussion on the matter, I motion that we allow guests to view these forums on the following basis.

Viewable
  • New Members
  • Off Topic
  • Game Ideas
  • Announcements and Rules
  • All open game forums (Game II, 1700, Anfan, Invisible War, Mollywood, Prohibition, TB, V2, WWII)
  • The MMO and other games forums
Hidden
  • GMing Information (subforum of Game Ideas)
  • Administration
  • The Archives
  • All alliance/hidden group forums
  • Anything else hidden that the average user cannot see

As we have said before, the "transition" period is long over. Even on the old forums, we kept things concealed for very little reason. We should open things up, you never know, it might encourage people to join.

Discussion is encouraged, rather than "I disagree", or "No". Debate is important.

Re-voting is enabled, if you'd like to change your position. The poll closes one week from now, on 24th February 2013. Of course, I'm not an administrator, so if someone from the staff would like to extend that, they're welcome to. But we're all free to motion things and so on, and a week seems a reasonable length of time for people to get a vote in.
Last edited by Huojin on 23:02:21 Sunday, 17 February, 2013, edited 1 time in total.

Smyg
GETTIN' REAL TIRED OF YOUR MACHIAVELLIAN BULLSHIT, GESAR

Re: Allow guests to view the forum (read the post before vot

Post by Smyg » 18:53:00 Sunday, 17 February, 2013

>tfw I can't see two of the forums you're mentioning
Comrade Astrojildo Pereira Duarte Silva
Secretary-General of the Partido Comunista do Brasil
(PCB)

Orago
I Am that Is

Post by Orago » 18:54:14 Sunday, 17 February, 2013

Alliance / hidden group forums should probably not be viewable to guests... or else people could spy on their enemies by logging out. :P

I support making the GOvsim Project forum and Battle for Menadh forum viewable though, because I can't see them.

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 19:09:05 Sunday, 17 February, 2013

Battle for Menadh is a private forum I've been using to test out things for my game, for when I get around to running it. I oppose making it public for now because there's absolutely no reason for it to be public. It's just for my purposes to test things. And because 2 out of the 3 components of it are private alliance forums.

As for the Govsim Project, that's a similar deal. It's a mess of random ideas in attempting to make a game. It's no different than having an idea on your computer in a Notepad while you work on it before posting it to Game Ideas, except that here it's a couple of people collaborating on an idea.

In any case, it's kinda beside the point of this poll.

Snacks
rhetorical masturbation

Post by Snacks » 19:17:16 Sunday, 17 February, 2013

Word of Admin: It was asked for the Govsim Project and Battle for Menadh to be hidden when they were made, unless the people responsible for them ask for them to be unhidden then that's how they'll stay. Not sure guests need to see Announcements and I think we should give people a chance to remove any personal info from Off Topic threads if they're worried about it but overall I'm fine with this.

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 19:22:37 Sunday, 17 February, 2013

To be honest, the most important thing to see in the Announcements forums is the Rules and IRC instructions and so on. If we could post a copy of those in the New Members forum too, Announcements could remain hidden too.

Orago
I Am that Is

Post by Orago » 22:38:39 Sunday, 17 February, 2013

So if a yes vote is obtained, does that mean we can see these secret forums if we log out? I voted yes if that's the case.

This has to be a packaged deal. All good democracies have packaged deals in their Congress / Parliament. I hope access to the Battle for Menadh and the Govsim Project forum aren't removed from this deal.

Snacks
rhetorical masturbation

Post by Snacks » 22:44:57 Sunday, 17 February, 2013

The only people they'll be viewable to are those people the mods for those forums ask to be given permissions to see them. This vote isn't about them, stop trying to use it to make those threads viewable to guests. If you want them viewable to members then make a topic in announcements to bring it up with whoever is mod for those topics, it's not a matter for administration or referendum to decide anymore than making forums a GM asks to be hidden for his game is.

Tsaeb XIII
Not an Urso-Maoist

Post by Tsaeb XIII » 22:53:30 Sunday, 17 February, 2013

I would support this if we add a subforum to Off Topic that remains hidden so that those who would prefer certain discussions to remain hidden can still post those discussions.
Game I: Republic of Indonesia
Game II: French Third Republic
Game III: Abibaal the Sailor

Balance of Power 1981: State of Israel
Battle for Anfan: Yizhou Clique
World War II BoP: Commonwealth of Australia

Orago
I Am that Is

Post by Orago » 23:01:24 Sunday, 17 February, 2013

Well I apologize for upsetting people. I thought that the list titled "Viewable" was a list of forums visitors can already see. I also thought the list titled "Hidden" was what we were voting on making visible, that's why I gave a hard time... doesn't make much sense to make alliance forums and all that visible.

RinKou
Jackbooted Swinelicker Fascist

Post by RinKou » 06:48:24 Monday, 18 February, 2013

I like to think Game Ideas is a kind of private place. It's somewhere we all go to work together developing games for ourselves to enjoy together.

Not that I'm saying that visitors are going to steal our ideas or anything. I'm just saying that it's something kinda intimate, kinda our little thing here. Once you're a member, you get full access - from the outside looking in? You can see we already have a pretty diverse set of games running as is.
Heartache by the Numbers: Caravan Master

If you say that prancing mailman of a GM is ever going to run the gangster game WELL THEN I SAY GOOD DAY SIR -oyid

I write things!
I post things!

Rising Phoenix
Haegemony supporter. Ludd hater

Post by Rising Phoenix » 07:51:48 Monday, 18 February, 2013

I voted yes.

Tsaeb XIII
Not an Urso-Maoist

Post by Tsaeb XIII » 08:34:02 Monday, 18 February, 2013

RinKou wrote:I like to think Game Ideas is a kind of private place. It's somewhere we all go to work together developing games for ourselves to enjoy together.

Not that I'm saying that visitors are going to steal our ideas or anything. I'm just saying that it's something kinda intimate, kinda our little thing here. Once you're a member, you get full access - from the outside looking in? You can see we already have a pretty diverse set of games running as is.
I think the argument Huo used a while back for this was that we might attract new members if they could see the games that would be running in the future. I generally think this would be better achieved by having a list of games under development (with short descriptions) somewhere public, while leaving Game Ideas private, but I can see things from both points of view.
Game I: Republic of Indonesia
Game II: French Third Republic
Game III: Abibaal the Sailor

Balance of Power 1981: State of Israel
Battle for Anfan: Yizhou Clique
World War II BoP: Commonwealth of Australia

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 17:08:13 Monday, 18 February, 2013

Tsaeb XIII wrote:
RinKou wrote:I like to think Game Ideas is a kind of private place. It's somewhere we all go to work together developing games for ourselves to enjoy together.

I think the argument Huo used a while back for this was that we might attract new members if they could see the games that would be running in the future. I generally think this would be better achieved by having a list of games under development (with short descriptions) somewhere public, while leaving Game Ideas private, but I can see things from both points of view.
As with Announcements (and having a copy of IRC instructions and Rules), if we can keep an up-to-date list in the New Members forums, that's fine. But it relies on the admins keeping things up to date.

*Huojin looks at the "Games Currently Running" thread in the New Members forum.

Yeaaaahhhhh...

But if the team can keep it updated, yeah, go for it. Though it's worth noting that people's interest in various games under development waxes and wanes constantly.

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Huojin » 13:39:30 Wednesday, 27 February, 2013

So this poll closed with 11 in favour and 3 against. We should probably implement it.

Return to “Announcements and Rules”