Allow guests to view portions of the forum: Round 2

More or less what it says on the tin.

Display select forums to guests?

Agree
18
78%
Disagree
5
22%
 
Total votes: 23

User avatar
Langben
What time is it?
Posts: 910
Joined: 03:36:30 Saturday, 04 August, 2012
Location: Space Truckin'

Allow guests to view portions of the forum: Round 2

Postby Langben » 06:07:40 Wednesday, 06 March, 2013

>>REQUIRED READING<<

Resubmitted in light of new discussion, specifically:
Gesar wrote:I should say why I'm against it. There is still a lot of drama between the two forums, and I don't want it to start again. Should this happen, those of us on Patton and Molotov might still get shit for being on both. I don't care about being on both but there's no way in Hell I'm going to deal with that drama.

Seriously, utterly, opposed.


Original text:
Huojin wrote:Given our inability to have a sustained discussion on the matter, I motion that we allow guests to view these forums on the following basis.

Viewable
  • New Members
  • Off Topic
  • Game Ideas
  • Announcements and Rules
  • All open game forums (Game II, 1700, Anfan, Invisible War, Mollywood, Prohibition, TB, V2, WWII)
  • The MMO and other games forums

Hidden
  • GMing Information (subforum of Game Ideas)
  • Administration
  • The Archives
  • All alliance/hidden group forums
  • Anything else hidden that the average user cannot see


As we have said before, the "transition" period is long over. Even on the old forums, we kept things concealed for very little reason. We should open things up, you never know, it might encourage people to join.

Discussion is encouraged, rather than "I disagree", or "No". Debate is important.
Image

Rising Phoenix
Haegemony supporter. Ludd hater
Posts: 971
Joined: 19:16:20 Monday, 06 August, 2012
Contact:

Re: Allow guests to view portions of the forum: Round 2

Postby Rising Phoenix » 08:39:41 Wednesday, 06 March, 2013

Yes, because stagnation is the same as regression.

User avatar
Coin
Mise, Pangur Bán agus PILOT WHALES
Posts: 1358
Joined: 14:15:01 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

Re: Allow guests to view portions of the forum: Round 2

Postby Coin » 10:53:25 Wednesday, 06 March, 2013

I would motion for Off-Topic to be taken off the list of viewable forums, as I'm still of the opinion that such forums are more private and, ergo, better if we keep it as such.

Regarding folk who're on both Molotov and Patton, basically Gesar and Snacks,I sympathise but considering I got banned out of the blue (without any explanation from the admins), all after trying to help Maddox and Huo at least communicate when the drama stuff started, I don't see any reason that a viewable forum on our part would do anything but help us attract more new members, which is what we need to help the forum and put all aforementioned Patton things behind us.

Rising Phoenix
Haegemony supporter. Ludd hater
Posts: 971
Joined: 19:16:20 Monday, 06 August, 2012
Contact:

Re: Allow guests to view portions of the forum: Round 2

Postby Rising Phoenix » 11:52:02 Wednesday, 06 March, 2013

I completely agree with Coinneach. Really, I got banned from Patton because Sonny & Co. wanted it, because Maddox himself is a reasonable guy. I talked to him about my first ban and we resolved it neatly, with the veredict being that there was no reason to ban me in the first place.

Sonny & Co. however have a different perspective on things. If they drama queens cannot get over the fact that they already banned us and subsequently will not go near Patton anytime soon, then it is their problem.

User avatar
Smyg
GETTIN' REAL TIRED OF YOUR MACHIAVELLIAN BULLSHIT, GESAR
Posts: 2391
Joined: 23:01:40 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

Re: Allow guests to view portions of the forum: Round 2

Postby Smyg » 12:04:06 Wednesday, 06 March, 2013

If Gesar's and Snacks' friends can't deal with them having friends that they don't like, then Gesar and Snacks should consider reviewing their list of friends.

User avatar
Tsaeb XIII
Not an Urso-Maoist
Posts: 151
Joined: 23:29:39 Wednesday, 01 August, 2012

Re: Allow guests to view portions of the forum: Round 2

Postby Tsaeb XIII » 12:08:54 Wednesday, 06 March, 2013

So, at the moment, I'm on the fence with this. I don't want to cause Gesar any more issues than we need to, but at the same time I'd like to open up the forum if at all possible. However, I would like to chime in to remind people about that bit of the rules that says we're not a forum for drama, we're a forum for games. So, if everybody can please keep the dragging up of old grievances regarding the somewhat more objectionable Pattonites to a minimum, that would be absolutely swell. I should add that nobody has really overstepped the line at this point; it's just a risky topic to be discussing so I thought I'd mention it before it became an issue.
Game I: Republic of Indonesia
Game II: French Third Republic
Game III: Abibaal the Sailor

Balance of Power 1981: State of Israel
Battle for Anfan: Yizhou Clique
World War II BoP: Commonwealth of Australia

User avatar
Langben
What time is it?
Posts: 910
Joined: 03:36:30 Saturday, 04 August, 2012
Location: Space Truckin'

Re: Allow guests to view portions of the forum: Round 2

Postby Langben » 12:15:02 Wednesday, 06 March, 2013

Transplanted from old thread:

Langben wrote:
Gesar wrote:
Langben wrote:
Gesar wrote:I should say why I'm against it. There is still a lot of drama between the two forums, and I don't want it to start again. Should this happen, those of us on Patton and Molotov might still get shit for being on both. I don't care about being on both but there's no way in Hell I'm going to deal with that drama.

Seriously, utterly, opposed.


Not to get back into this mess, but I'd be more sympathetic to this point if I (and others) hadn't been summarily dumped in order to appease Patton's stability already.

One way or the other, I'm not interested in letting that forum dictate for how we run this one.

It's not about letting Patton dictate Molotov. You're not the one who'd have to deal with the fallout. Snacks and I would be, and I'm not going to play that.

I'm up for another vote on this issue with this new angle coming to light. I'm indifferent and in no rush to implement it anyway.

But don't tell me you're "not going to play that" when I put a stop to Smyg and others coming after you here, then listened to you rationalize banning me from Patton to preserve "the community" that's apparently going to eat you alive if I don't block a voted-on initiative here. No spite intended, I think there's upside to prettying up the forum here, which is why this vote went generally FOR.
Image

User avatar
BgKnight
George R. R. Martin in space and with less talent
Posts: 1169
Joined: 23:30:02 Wednesday, 01 August, 2012

Re: Allow guests to view portions of the forum: Round 2

Postby BgKnight » 15:27:17 Wednesday, 06 March, 2013

What the Scottish bastard said.

The conflict is over, we insist on holding no hard feelings and generally, we don't. It is Sonny and co. that continue the conflict and I see no need of us to limit ourselves because of them. Why should we limit the growth of Molotov in the name of Patton, when we have nothing left on Patton for us (I am not speaking for all of us obviously). I understand Gesar's worry and I wouldn't like to see Gesar and Snacks get into trouble, cause they are our lovable guys, but I still vote yes.
Image

User avatar
scorpion
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Posts: 1195
Joined: 19:43:14 Friday, 03 August, 2012

Re: Allow guests to view portions of the forum: Round 2

Postby scorpion » 15:37:09 Wednesday, 06 March, 2013

I too was removed from Patton, even after talking with Maddox about being a member of both to which he was okay with. Yet i was still banned regardless for reasons unknown. but it wouldn't be to far fetched if it was urged by sonny.

I voted yes aswell
Metal Gear BoP-GM
1968 BoP-Yugoslavia

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3064
Joined: 07:30:29 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

Re: Allow guests to view portions of the forum: Round 2

Postby Huojin » 15:42:42 Wednesday, 06 March, 2013

Voting in favour, although given that a bunch of people have said we shouldn't reveal Off-Topic, I'd probably put it on the "leave it hidden" bit of the list. RP summed it up quiet nicely when he said "stagnation is the same as regression". I'd quite like for this community to exist in some form for a while longer. We already have people who used to be regulars either having very little time or disappearing entirely. What happens when the day comes that all the old hands don't have time or the will to stay involved?

I understand where Gesar is coming from, but I'm not sure I agree with the statement that "there is still a lot of drama between the two forums". Almost none of us can still access Patton. And I'm fairly certain the only time anyone really mentions it is if they're lamenting the loss of something they had on Patton but forgot to make a copy of.

This isn't to say you don't get complained at privately by people for being on both forums, I don't know. But it kinda seems like you're mainly concerned that if the Patton community could see what happens here and that you're active, they would hassle you about it.

User avatar
OYID
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Posts: 1271
Joined: 17:52:23 Wednesday, 22 August, 2012
Location: At the barricades

Re: Allow guests to view portions of the forum: Round 2

Postby OYID » 16:04:20 Wednesday, 06 March, 2013

We already have people who used to be regulars either having very little time or disappearing entirely. What happens when the day comes that all the old hands don't have time or the will to stay involved?


Then we go out with our dignities intact, neither as drama fodder or a n00b day-care.
1968: Cuba.

User avatar
BgKnight
George R. R. Martin in space and with less talent
Posts: 1169
Joined: 23:30:02 Wednesday, 01 August, 2012

Re: Allow guests to view portions of the forum: Round 2

Postby BgKnight » 16:39:14 Wednesday, 06 March, 2013

OYID wrote:Then we go out with our dignities intact, neither as drama fodder or a n00b day-care.


Remember you where once a noob OYID? Yeah, well we do.
Image

User avatar
Gesar
Social Justice Stasi
Social Justice Stasi
Posts: 1112
Joined: 00:18:50 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

Re: Allow guests to view portions of the forum: Round 2

Postby Gesar » 17:31:33 Wednesday, 06 March, 2013

I'm not even going to bother to explain further, because you guys are re-hashing the same bullshit over and over. Whatever, I'm just not going to be around as much anymore. It's not really fucking worth it, if I'm just going to be thrown under the bus
Saenwyn: A Song of Ashes: Storyteller

Louisiana 1792: Fils de la Révolution: Monsieur le Commissaire de l'Intérieur Thomas Francois Jérôme Cossard, Mayor of Saint-Louis and editor of L'Ami de la République
Liberty in Dark Waters: Leopold Karl von Stenhielm, Baron af Rödesund, Knight and Commander of the Orders of His Majesty the King, convicted traitor
Balance of Power 1968: Mwalimu Julius Nyerere, President and Baba wa Taifa of the United Republic of Tanzania

Smyg wrote:The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of Gesar coping with being a total fucking a-grade revolutionary thinker


Spoiler:
#DraftGesar

Rising Phoenix
Haegemony supporter. Ludd hater
Posts: 971
Joined: 19:16:20 Monday, 06 August, 2012
Contact:

Re: Allow guests to view portions of the forum: Round 2

Postby Rising Phoenix » 17:34:52 Wednesday, 06 March, 2013

Gesar wrote:I'm not even going to bother to explain further, because you guys are re-hashing the same bullshit over and over. Whatever, I'm just not going to be around as much anymore. It's not really fucking worth it, if I'm just going to be thrown under the bus

I am not trying to get you thrown under the bus at all, Gesar. But you need to understand - Patton is Patton and Molotov is Molotov. We parted ways already, there is no need to keep digging old wounds, and there is no need to act as an underground group or something.

User avatar
Gesar
Social Justice Stasi
Social Justice Stasi
Posts: 1112
Joined: 00:18:50 Thursday, 02 August, 2012

Re: Allow guests to view portions of the forum: Round 2

Postby Gesar » 17:42:56 Wednesday, 06 March, 2013

The point is, it will come up, and I'll get bitched at. It's all fine and dandy to say that we've parted ways, but shit's going to happen to regardless. You can ignore that since it won't affect you, but I can't.
Saenwyn: A Song of Ashes: Storyteller

Louisiana 1792: Fils de la Révolution: Monsieur le Commissaire de l'Intérieur Thomas Francois Jérôme Cossard, Mayor of Saint-Louis and editor of L'Ami de la République
Liberty in Dark Waters: Leopold Karl von Stenhielm, Baron af Rödesund, Knight and Commander of the Orders of His Majesty the King, convicted traitor
Balance of Power 1968: Mwalimu Julius Nyerere, President and Baba wa Taifa of the United Republic of Tanzania

Smyg wrote:The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of Gesar coping with being a total fucking a-grade revolutionary thinker


Spoiler:
#DraftGesar


Return to “Announcements and Rules”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron