Disagree
22%

Total votes: 23

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Allow guests to view portions of the forum: Round 2

Postby Huojin » 15:28:52 Friday, 08 March, 2013

With regards to Tsaeb's proposal, although it's a workable compromise, I don't think it's the best one. Scorp's games, for all their scale and depth and detail, generally aren't representative of all the games we run. Part of what should be appealing is the number of different types of games we have. V2, Prohibition, WWII, Mollywood, 1700, etc - they're all different. It hides our diversity.

Personally, I think the argument about banning from Patton is beside the point. It seems to be a point about bitterness and how we shouldn't have regard for Patton on that basis. Whilst I'm all for treating this forum as separate, the banning argument doesn't seem to be relevant or helping, just creating a divide between those who were banned and those who weren't.

RinKou wrote:So unless we get further information re: how Gesar and Snacks (and I) will be affected on Patton and what Molotov really stands to gain, let's put this vote to rest and just keep it discussiony.

To talk about this, here's what I'm getting from what's been said:

What Molotov stands to gain - Potentially more members, more interest, a (slightly) larger community, potentially more games, as well as more players for games. The central idea, at least in my support for opening up the forums, is that as we all have increasingly less time over the years, these games and the community doesn't die out.

How Gesar, Snacks and RinKou will be affected on Patton - I'm not all too clear on this, to be honest, but it's probably safe to say that in general they'll come under (renewed?) abuse from the usual culprits about being on both forums. More details from them would be appreciated.

We kinda have three options:

• We leave things as they are and nothing changes. Not really ideal, as we've said.
  • We come to some sort of Tsaeb-style compromise. I've already expressed my misgivings with that.
  • We open Molotov to guest viewing in some larger fashion, which opens Gesar, Snacks and RinKou to potential attacks, unless we can do something about that.

All three options are fairly sucky in their outcomes.

Personally, I'd quite like to find a way to prevent Gesar, Snacks and RinKou from being abused on Patton, but we probably need more information about it and, personally, a sitrep of what Patton is like at the moment might help. Like, I don't even know who's an admin any more. Is there no one who can be called on to keep them off your back? I really have no clue.

scorpion
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Postby scorpion » 16:09:35 Friday, 08 March, 2013

In regards to Gesar, Rin and Snacks coming under attack. They themselves have little control over what goes on, as we all do seeing as things are voted on. we all can only affect a part. The problem does not lay with what we do on here, nor what Patton as a forum does. The problem lays with the individuals that would harass and attack Rin,Gesar, and Snacks. Which is part of the reason this forum was made in the first place. I don't see anyway in stopping potential harassment other then to A) ignore it or B) leave. That's all one can really do in that situation.

If it's not these public forums that provokes harassment, it'll just be something else down the road.

Tsaeb's idea while striking a middle ground does not show the diversity of the forum or it's potential games. one new potential new player may find the game shown in public uninteresting. If they are all shown, the better the chances of have sparking interest. For example a lot of the players in Scorp bop prefer that style bop over standard, and vice versa.

I stand by what i said about these guys having to state they are not on Patton and Molotov to play diplomat. They are on these sites to play games, that is all. We cannot change how would be abusers act short of a kick in the face, so why waste time and effort trying?
Metal Gear BoP-GM
1968 BoP-Yugoslavia

Langben
What time is it?

Postby Langben » 05:07:47 Sunday, 17 March, 2013

So we're stalled on this then? I was hoping for a Tsaeb/Others follow up.

scorpion
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Postby scorpion » 16:47:04 Thursday, 21 March, 2013

Well if potential new members, like the recent one registering that RP has had contact with once before on other sites is any indication, I stand by what I've said in previous posts that there is no valid reason not to open parts of the forum up.
Metal Gear BoP-GM
1968 BoP-Yugoslavia

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Huojin » 16:59:11 Thursday, 21 March, 2013

I reckon at the very least we should have something for guests looking at the forums to see, rather than nothing at all. As an interim measure.

Coin
Mise, Pangur Bán agus PILOT WHALES

Postby Coin » 18:36:44 Thursday, 21 March, 2013

Huojin wrote:I reckon at the very least we should have something for guests looking at the forums to see, rather than nothing at all. As an interim measure.

Pretty much this. That and, also by Huojin:

Personally, I'd quite like to find a way to prevent Gesar, Snacks and RinKou from being abused on Patton, but we probably need more information about it and, personally, a sitrep of what Patton is like at the moment might help. Like, I don't even know who's an admin any more. Is there no one who can be called on to keep them off your back? I really have no clue.

Since it's gone rather quiet on that front.

Woody
Virescit vulnere virtus

Postby Woody » 01:41:47 Sunday, 07 April, 2013

Any reason why this is still sticky'd?
http://dmmclan.net/
Senātus Populusque Rōmānus

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Huojin » 13:36:39 Sunday, 07 April, 2013

Because the discussion has stalled but if it were to start up again, it'd be important to be able to see it?

CWestfall
MEANWHILE, IN NORWAY...

Postby CWestfall » 16:13:03 Sunday, 07 April, 2013

Huojin wrote:Because the discussion has stalled but if it were to start up again, it'd be important to be able to see it?

Don't mind if I do.

As a member of this forum, former member of Patton, and somebody who had been around Sonny for a very long time, I sympathize completely with Gesar and Snacks on this. Understand, I'm all for making this place more public, but if and only if it's done in a way such that the dual-citizens (Is that just Gesar and Snacks now?) feel they won't get kicked around.

Seems to me that us as a community undertaking any action that puts part of that community under duress would be some kind of violation of Rule 1. Or possibly Rule 4, depending on your interpretation of the situation.

Ideally I like RinKou's idea best, which is to say, find a way that we can go public after patching up relations with Patton. It's been nearly 8 months, which I think is about 35 internet years.

Otherwise, The Tsaeb Compromise would logically be the way to go. What I have noticed though is a distinct lack of Gesar or Snacks chiming in since that was made. That would be a prerequisite for me being OK with any proposal.

EDIT- I suppose what I'm saying is that I'll be most comfortable with Gesar and/or Snacks proposing how we proceed on this issue. Discussions about who was least mature on Patton or who got banned when and why just won't be productive; we already covered that back in August. ;)
<KimIlSmyg> Congratulations Labine
<KimIlSmyg> You're in my signature.

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Huojin » 22:24:25 Sunday, 07 April, 2013

Rising Phoenix
Haegemony supporter. Ludd hater

Postby Rising Phoenix » 03:01:11 Monday, 08 April, 2013

Most certainly it is. Though, as I said a thousand times, I have no problem with people being at the two places (I myself would have liked to be able to do that, being a forum gamer after all), but the problem is that there is people on the other side who will potentially harass members of our forum.

TL;DR because I already expressed myself before: The problem is not here. At all. It is over there.

CWestfall
MEANWHILE, IN NORWAY...

Postby CWestfall » 05:11:48 Monday, 08 April, 2013

The fact remains that the problems over there will cause problems for people over here. If it makes it more palatable, don't think of it as us trying to accommodate Sonny, because that's not why we're tip-toeing around this. We have to handle this carefully because if we don't, two of our own could get burned.

Though phrasing it like that does give me an idea. Do Sonny/KP/Jack even check Molotov anymore, since they will have been seeing nothing interesting for ~8 months now?

If so, (And speaking now as the web hosting provider rather than a member of this forum) if you fellows are having troubles with certain people accessing the website, I am certainly capable of banning certain IP addresses from ever accessing any applied-logistics.org URL. If they attempt to access it, they receive the following:

Which looks an awful lot like the website was shut down entirely, doesn't it?
<KimIlSmyg> Congratulations Labine
<KimIlSmyg> You're in my signature.

OYID
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Postby OYID » 05:17:11 Monday, 08 April, 2013

I'm completely in favor of this wacky solution.
1968: Cuba.

BgKnight
George R. R. Martin in space and with less talent

Postby BgKnight » 05:54:23 Monday, 08 April, 2013

I like this idea, but I would like to hear Gesar and Snacks on this before we vote on it.

Rising Phoenix
Haegemony supporter. Ludd hater

Postby Rising Phoenix » 05:47:11 Tuesday, 09 April, 2013

Smokes and mirrors? Sounds perfectly fine to me.

Return to “Announcements and Rules”