78%
Disagree
22%

Total votes: 23

Woody
Virescit vulnere virtus

Re: Allow guests to view portions of the forum: Round 2

Postby Woody » 20:26:19 Wednesday, 10 April, 2013

Huojin wrote:I reckon at the very least we should have something for guests looking at the forums to see, rather than nothing at all. As an interim measure.

I would like whatever option that gets people to join our community. 20 players in the WWII BOP would be more fun than the 12 we have now. If people lose interest who are apart of the community now, or if we can't get new people to the community then this place will become a dinosaur.
http://dmmclan.net/
Senātus Populusque Rōmānus

CWestfall
MEANWHILE, IN NORWAY...

Postby CWestfall » 20:02:56 Thursday, 11 April, 2013

So Gesar hasn't chimed in, but I had Jack and KP's IP addresses handy (From old Molotov) and they should now be IP banned from the entire website. I take this action mostly because other people I know IRL are hosting their files on applied-logistics.org and I sort of have to protect their interests as well.
<KimIlSmyg> Congratulations Labine
<KimIlSmyg> You're in my signature.

CWestfall
MEANWHILE, IN NORWAY...

Postby CWestfall » 16:57:11 Thursday, 18 April, 2013

Well Gesar seemed OK with the idea in IRC, but he's pretty busy with life stuff and I can't move ahead unless I get those IPs. This is more or less a dead issue until then, I think.

Gesar
Social Justice Stasi
Social Justice Stasi

Postby Gesar » 05:17:42 Saturday, 20 April, 2013

CWestfall wrote:Well Gesar seemed OK with the idea in IRC, but he's pretty busy with life stuff and I can't move ahead unless I get those IPs. This is more or less a dead issue until then, I think.

I've been traveling/having pneumonia, lemme get back at you sooner rather than later.
Saenwyn: A Song of Ashes: Storyteller

Louisiana 1792: Fils de la Révolution: Monsieur le Commissaire de l'Intérieur Thomas Francois Jérôme Cossard, Mayor of Saint-Louis and editor of L'Ami de la République
Liberty in Dark Waters: Leopold Karl von Stenhielm, Baron af Rödesund, Knight and Commander of the Orders of His Majesty the King, convicted traitor
Balance of Power 1968: Mwalimu Julius Nyerere, President and Baba wa Taifa of the United Republic of Tanzania

Smyg wrote:The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of Gesar coping with being a total fucking a-grade revolutionary thinker

Spoiler:
#DraftGesar

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Huojin » 16:42:29 Wednesday, 24 April, 2013

So there are two points in what I'm about to say. It's all in reference to a conversation Seren and I (are still having, actually, as I type this), so I'll post the log first.

[17:30] Serenissima I don't have access to HTBF [Hoist the Black Flag].
[17:30] Serenissima Think I need to be usergrouped for V2.
[17:30] Huojin wut
[17:30] Huojin viewforum.php?f=88
[17:30] Huojin You can't see that?
[17:32] Serenissima Direct works
[17:32] Huojin Huh.
[17:33] Huojin But you can't see it when you click the V2 forum?
[17:33] Serenissima When I click via V2 it says something about permission.
[17:33] Huojin >_>
[17:33] Huojin Sometimes I wonder what craziness these guys have been doing since I stopped being an admin <_<
[17:34] Serenissima I think it's just a bug.
[17:34] Serenissima I mean, you already have that weird 'you can't see the forum until you are accepted' thing.
[17:35] Huojin That's just because we get a stupid number of spam accounts
[17:35] Serenissima If I hadn't been specifically asked to come and play the UK I'd just have left immediately as soon as I saw that and not bothered registering.
[17:35] Serenissima And yes, but visibility and posting are different.

So two things!

Number 1
Admins, please check out what's going on with permissions. I posted about Tranquillity Base last week, where you can still search for and find it, but you can't see it listed in the archives. So either my permissions are screwy or something went wrong there.

For Seren a similar thing seems to happen with Hoist the Black Flag, the diplomacy subforum under Game III: Magh Meall. So looking into that would be awesome.

Number 2
As our (second) most recent member, Seren put it pretty nicely. If you just see the empty forum, it turns people away. I know we've agreed to make the forums visible and block the IPs of some people so we can help Gesar, Snacks and RinKou avoid harassment, but I thought I'd post about it here anyway, just so we remember it's a thing we need to do. So yeah.

CWestfall
MEANWHILE, IN NORWAY...

Postby CWestfall » 18:30:25 Wednesday, 24 April, 2013

My hands are quite tied until I get those IP addresses. If anybody can think of a alternative way of getting them that doesn't involve Gesar, lay it on me, but near as I can tell it is going to require being an admin on Patton.

I need current IPs for (And I say "IPs", plural, because they probably browse the internet from multiple locations):
Sonny
KP
Jack
Zar

CWestfall
MEANWHILE, IN NORWAY...

Postby CWestfall » 02:42:32 Saturday, 18 May, 2013

It looks like this stalled out again. I still don't have any IP addresses, and we still don't know much about the situation over at Patton (vis-a-vis "are they still checking if we are active"), but fine, I can't fault people for not wanting to talk about these sorts of subjects.

The other alternative I can see (to go back to this old idea) would be for us to follow through on Tsaeb's original idea, which to reiterate was to show new members:
  • A currently active game
  • An idea of some of the other games currently active, probably a thread under the New Members section

At least two or three people have objections to just about any other forum being displayed publicly, so I'm quite happy to work out what else should be public later. The "currently active game" (As Gesar pointed out) shouldn't be something based on stats that passed through Patton, even if they were in fact from Fo'Dolo originally. Since my current project appears to be dead in the water due to lack of interest, I could potentially be willing to GM something new.

Any thoughts/objections? I would really like to get a move on this. We have a whole hell of a lot of reasons to go public and take in new blood, and we're squandering time in a way. It's important to move quickly (Though I will settle for moving at all).

Rising Phoenix
Haegemony supporter. Ludd hater

Postby Rising Phoenix » 03:40:38 Saturday, 18 May, 2013

I would like the forum to be more open than that, but if Tsaeb's compromise is all that we can do for the moment then it is fine by me.

scorpion
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Postby scorpion » 19:26:04 Monday, 20 May, 2013

Anything to get part of the forum public at least is fine by me.
Metal Gear BoP-GM
1968 BoP-Yugoslavia

Coin
Mise, Pangur Bán agus PILOT WHALES

Postby Coin » 20:13:37 Monday, 20 May, 2013

^As above. Although I'd prefer if those opposed to a wider opening would post in more detail, or at least pm one of the admins what their specific concerns are before we halfway house it.

Huojin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Huojin » 20:30:30 Monday, 20 May, 2013

Coinneach wrote:^As above. Although I'd prefer if those opposed to a wider opening would post in more detail, or at least pm one of the admins what their specific concerns are before we halfway house it.

I was under the impression the issues had been resolved (in a manner) because Gesar was going to acquire the IPs of certain individuals so harassment could be avoided easily.

Coin
Mise, Pangur Bán agus PILOT WHALES

Postby Coin » 15:18:05 Wednesday, 05 June, 2013

Pending issues regarding access to the forum, moved this to Announcements & Rules until it gets fixed.

Gesar
Social Justice Stasi
Social Justice Stasi

Postby Gesar » 00:03:54 Friday, 07 June, 2013

If we could get some sort administrator/moderator-only (maybe even competent administrator/moderator-only) consensus I can help out with my part of the deal.
Saenwyn: A Song of Ashes: Storyteller

Louisiana 1792: Fils de la Révolution: Monsieur le Commissaire de l'Intérieur Thomas Francois Jérôme Cossard, Mayor of Saint-Louis and editor of L'Ami de la République
Liberty in Dark Waters: Leopold Karl von Stenhielm, Baron af Rödesund, Knight and Commander of the Orders of His Majesty the King, convicted traitor
Balance of Power 1968: Mwalimu Julius Nyerere, President and Baba wa Taifa of the United Republic of Tanzania

Smyg wrote:The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of Gesar coping with being a total fucking a-grade revolutionary thinker

Spoiler:
#DraftGesar

Langben
What time is it?

Postby Langben » 00:49:06 Friday, 07 June, 2013

Gesar wrote:If we could get some sort administrator/moderator-only (maybe even competent administrator/moderator-only) consensus I can help out with my part of the deal.

The admins have all agreed to go ahead with it at one point or another in this thread, as long as it's amenable to you. I think Labine is stuck doing the legwork through the founder account, so it should just be the doing of the thing that's left.

CWestfall
MEANWHILE, IN NORWAY...

Postby CWestfall » 23:25:43 Friday, 07 June, 2013

Actually, it's a step above that (And for the record, Huojin and Tsaeb also know the password to the root account. When Tsaeb got this internship I told BgKnight since I'd prefer it be used by active admins, but if I remember correctly he didn't want to know). It can only been done from the webhost level, so the IPs Gesar hands me will be globally banned from applied-logistics.org.

Return to “Announcements and Rules”